Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 8/4/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_95?Page=0
Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 8/4/15

A query that goes back a few weeks involves the supplemental draft. Was Battle not eligible for the May draft? And why could he not be signed as a free agent? Does he count against the cap this year? Is he eligible to play this year?

Yes, he counts against the cap. Yes he's eligible to play this year. I believe he was eligible for the draft but did not declare. Since he did not declare, and had college eligibility left, he could not be signed as a free agent.
---------
Which 3-5 upcoming free agents do you think the Rams prioritize the most?

In terms of their own free agents? Foles, Jenkins I think are 1 and 1A. I think McLeod and Quick rank up there pretty high as well.
--------
How's fan attendance at the pre-season practices compared to last year? I was out on Saturday and thought the turnout was good!

Attendance has been very similar to the first few days of camp last season. The Rams have drawn between 1,200 and 1,500 spectators each of the first three days. In pretty hot weather conditions.
-------
What has to happen for Isaiah Pead to make the roster?

Well, he's aided by the fact that Trey Watts begins the year suspended, and Todd Gurley isn't ready to play. But there's also Tre Mason, Benny Cunningham, and Chase Reynolds.to contend with _ who all seem to be safe bets on the final 53. (Reynolds of course because of his special teams value.) Gurley will take up a roster spot (Watts won't for the 4-week suspension.)

But the Rams also have some interesting rookie free agents at running back in Malcolm Brown, Terrence Franks, and Zach Laskey. So Pead needs to have a good camp and preseason.
-------
With the Rams talking an extension with Jenkins & having Joyner, Gaines, Roberson, & McGee signed for at least 2 more years at a lower cost, is Trumaine gone after this season?

Not necessarily. McGee can't seem to stay healthy, so he's far from a sure thing in terms of making the final roster.
-------
Who is leading the #2 QB battle, who is getting more reps?

Case Keenum seems to be getting many more reps with the 2s than Austin Davis so far. And that seemed to be the case during the OTAs as well.
--------
So far in camp, who has looked the best at center?

Too early to tell. Only three full-squad practices so far. And none in pads. Today's the first day in pads for the full squad.
-------
Is this finally the year Barrett Jones finally breaks out and becomes a starter on the O-line?

It's certainly possible this year. I think he might be the slight favorite to win the job.
--------
Given how much the Rams paid to retain him, how much more can Lance Kendrick's role increase in the offense?

They've mentioned they'd like to try to get him the ball more often. But there are only so many footballs to go around and there's Cook, Austin, Quick, Britt, etc. to take care of as well. So it's not like we're gonna see Kendricks jump up to 55-60 catches.
--------
When the switch flip from "Rams dont know how to use Tavon Austin" to "Tavon Austin just figure it out in the NFL"?

This could be the year.
--------
I know it's very early in camp, but is there anyone who has caught your eye? Someone you want to watch in pre-season games?

Marcus Roberson has looked strong. Very curious of course to see Foles in a Rams uniform. Same with Case Keenum. And Sean Mannion. Maurice Alexander supposedly has made a lot of strides. Trumaine Johnson has had a good offseason supposedly. Martin Ifedi. Can Lamarcus Joyner step up. That's just a few.
-------
Any chance Jenkins gets an extension before the season starts?

I think there is a chance on Jenkins. Rams are working towards it.
--------
Will Benny Cunningham have a role after Gurley is back in action? Really liked what he was able to do with his opportunities last year.

You would think Cunningham might get squeezed out. Because there are only so many carries to go around. Yeah, I too, like what Cunningham brings too the table.
---------
What do you think LeMarcus Joyner's role with the team is this season? Slot guy? Roaming safety type? Or does he just lose playing time because of Gaines & Barron

At this point, Joyner's still the No. 1 candidate for the starting nickel back job.
-------
If you could sum it up quickly, what is the overall legacy of Sam Bradford as a Ram?

Disappointment and injury. I still believe Bradford has the skill to be a successful NFL quarterback. But we never got to see that skill fully develop here because of the injury. Josh McDaniel's tenure here did no favors for Sam, and for much of his time in StL, Sam didn't have much of a supporting cast.

The money is the money _ I really don't get too hung up on that. Trust me, a contract extension for Foles would almost certainly be over $10 million per year. I wish him well in Philly.
--------
Do you think our defense will be more aggressive this year than last year? Also since we got Akeem Ayers now what does that mean for Barron will just be a package player because I think he's a very good safety who should be playing alot I feel he fits our system perfectly

The defense was pretty aggressive last year. I don't think that changes this year. You make an interesting point about Ayers and Barron, because a lot of the playing time Barron saw last year was basically as a small linebacker.
--------
If the Rams had a "St. Louis Rams 20 Year Anniversary Team," how many current Rams would make the team? Laurinaitis? Long? Quinn? Hekker?

I think Hekker for sure, even though he has only 3 seasons here (and no disrespect to Sean Landeta). If you're talking first-team MLB, you have to go with London Fletcher. And don't get me wrong, I have high regard for Laurinaitis; he would have to be second-teamer. Same with Long, who would be a second-teamer behind Carter and Little. As for Quinn, I think with time he could surpass Little for the first-team spot.
---------
The rams have had a few UDFA come in and make the team the past couple of years. Do you see anyone in this years class to keep an eye on for the 53 man or practice squad?

Tough one with so many players back on the roster. OT Darrell Williams certainly could be a practice squad guy. I think one of the undrafted RBs could be a practice squad guy (Brown, Franks, Laskey). Maybe Bryce Hager at LB.
--------
If you know anybody that needs a job, rams assistant coach 27 might not be enough.

Pretty amazing, isn't it? I remember my high school football team had 2 varsity coaches. We got help from the "B" team coach on game day.
--------
Technical question. If a player is on the roster week 1, his contract is guaranteed for the entire season, correct? How does that work for players that are suspended to begin the season? Since they are not playing week one, are they not guaranteed?

You must be on the 53-man roster in order to have that contract guaranteed after Week 1 as a vested vet (4 years or more). If you're suspended, you're not on the 53-man.
--------
Any legitimate chance that 3 Greatest Show on Turf players are enshrined at the same time next year? (as in Warner, Pace, and Bruce)

All 3? Slim to none. I think Pace has the best chance.
--------
What odd you have that Bradford A stays healthy and B get a contract from the Eagles

40-60.
-------
If Quick is just okay this year, do you give him an extension?

Perhaps. But not for a lot of money.
-------
Aside from Nick Foles, whose absence do you think could have the biggest impact on the Rams record this year?

Great question. Given the inexperienced state of the O-line, you could say Saffold. With Gurley being eased in, losing Tre Mason would hurt. And on defense, even with the depth on the D-line, losing Quinn or Long would hurt.
-------
It's usually typical for the head coach to establish practices between clubs during the off-season, correct? So was Fisher in charge to create the Oxnard practice or someone else set that up?

Normally, you would think Fisher. But Kroenke and Jerry Jones are friends and business associates (it's my understanding they've partnered on some non-football related business). So I wonder on this one.
-------
Does it matter how many the wins the Rams have for Fisher to keep his job next year?6-10 to 8-8 or being mediocre shouldn't be what people should expect every year.

I get very little sense that Fisher's in any trouble this year.
--------
The Rams this year has been touted to be a shut down defense, but they haven't been close to that last year. Potential is there but are they being overrated?

Not based on the second half of last season. Then again, that whole Sack City thing didn't exactly work out early last season.
--------
How do you think or do you know how fisher plans use both backs

At this point, not really. (I assume you're talking about Gurley and Mason.) But we won't have to worry about it early in the season, because we're not going to see much of Gurley if at all. In an ideal world, with a fully up to speed Gurley, you'd have to think 70-30 Gurley to Mason.
--------
Who are the 8-9 offensive lineman you think will make the Rams 53 man roster?

Robinson, Saffold, Brown, Havenstein, Barnes, Jones, Rhaney, Reynolds, Battle. Donnal maybe works his way in there.
--------
Given the need to resign many free agents next offseason, any chance Chris Long ($14,250,000 cap hit) becomes a cap casualty?

I guess it's possible because Long is due a $2 million roster bonus at the start of the 2016 league year. But not likely.
-------
I remember a few months back you said there was a CERTAIN reason the Rams could not land the center Wisnewski. Is there any chance of Mo Alexander beating out Mcleod at FS?

Alexander will not beat out McLeod.
--------
Anyone stand out in the ST pads practice yesterday, a-la- Darren Bates from a few years back?

Not really. Many of the core players looked good _ Bates, Reynolds, etc. _ but no new face really stood out.
------
I went to training camp on Sunday. Case Keenum looked pretty sharp. He seemed to have a quick release. Is he improving or is he just a real good training camp quarterback.

Fisher and the Rams like him. At this point, it certainly looks like he has the edge over Davis for the No. 2 spot.
--------
If you were the GM/Head Coach, would you have allowed the team to head into the season with 3/5 newbie lineman? Or tried to bolster the line with youngish, but established F/As?

Even though it hasn't worked out for the Rams in the past, I would've tried to have added some established veteran help by signing 1 starter in free agency.
--------
Do you think the slow starts over the last few years have to do with a somewhat "soft" training camp routine?

Could be. But all the training camps in the league run similar camps.
----------
Have you heard any updates on ticket sales for this year? Any guess on how the crowd will look this year?

I've heard they're down, but can't really give you any precise numbers. I think there's some concern about the opener vs. Seattle.
----------
Because we have rookie OC , new QB and new Oline for most part, any chance we see just a little bit more from offense in preseason? Do you think our commitment to being vanilla in preseason hurts us in the first 4 games?

I think it's all but a certainty the young 0-linemen play more in the preseason. It's been very noticeable in OTAs and camp (so far) that Nick Foles is getting a ton of reps, so maybe that carries over to the preseason as well.
--------
When is the last time a team started the season with 3 rookie linemen? Also what's the highest ranked OL that we drafted this year?

Well, the Rams won't have 3 rookie starters on the line. Although whoever wins at center will be inexperienced. I think Havenstein was the highest-ranked offensive linemen by the draft gurus. And he was the highest drafted, of course, in the second round, No. 57 overall.
---------
Austin and Cunningham looking like they will split kickoff and punt return duties again this year? Any newbies show a flair for it?

That's how it looks, with Austin on punts and Cunningham on kickoffs. I'm sure some others will be worked in during preseason, but hard to see that tandem changing.
---------
Is Gaines okay?

We'll find out at practice today?
--------
Be sure to check out USA today season predictions. Has Rams going 10-6, wildcard win over Carolina and losing to Green Bay in divisional round

I have forgotten what it's like to cover a playoff team.
--------
Do you see the preseason being cut to 2-3 games and reg season expanding anytime soon?

Two preseason games makes a ton of sense. But don't see it happening at this point.
--------
Jim, any sense from the organization that they are concerned about all the youth on the OL? Coach B has got his hands full.

Yes, he does have his hands full. They don't seem concerned.
--------
How much reliance do the coaches put on pre-season games as far as talent evaluation? Would they be able to make roster decisions from just training camp/extra practices?

Obviously preseason games are a big part of the process, but the coaches get a pretty good idea about who they like through camp and OTAs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prove JT wrong Mo Alexander.....

won't be this year. but they could be angling for next season.

and if christian bryant is more of a pure fs it will be him taking over.

but they must have some sort of plan for mo as well.

MFaulk107

The Realness
"I have forgotton what it's like to cover a playofff team" he says......so unfuckingnecessary

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would not be surprised at all if the Rams keep 10 O lineman.

I'd have to go back and look but pretty sure Fish tends to keep 10 at least. And as usual I don't learn anything from JT's chats. I swear the dude gets zero inside information from the team, you could have some of our own posters do that chat.

Good example is his note on who makes the OL. I don't see Barnes, Jones, and Rhaney all making the cut. It's another example of media members going back to what they saw last year instead of applying some logical thought. Rams bringing in all these young OL means they're not going to consider Jones to be OG or even a swing C/OG, which means they only keep 2 of the 3. Battle's addition basically cemented that IMO. Barnes is not just fighting for a starting position, he's fighting for his job.

They can be sneaky and use IR to help out, but are they going to cut Wichmann and Donnal when both basically replace guys like Washington, Bonds, or Baker? Here's my take fwiw:

Starters (gonna make the roster)
GRob / Saffold / Jones* / Brown / Havenstein

Depth (gonna make the roster)
Rhaney* / Reynolds / Battle

Bubble (fighting to make the roster)
Barnes* / Baker / Williams / Donnal / Bond / Wichmann / Washington / Wang / Battle

Top four are givens.

Depth guys listed should produce one starter at center, but if Barnes by some miracle wins the job it means the other two will produce a cut so of the three centers I think one is cut essentially. Battle is going to make this team because he's got the feet and length they covet at LT.

Bubble guys are really most of the OL on the roster right now since you have all those guys fighting for 2 spots. Looking at Donnal do you cut him to keep a guy like Bond or Washington etc? Same with Wichmann. Adding both those guys to the roster puts you at 10. IR one of them and obviously you can keep one of those holdover long-term projects but IMO those guys need to show serious improvement to make this roster.

RamzFanz

Damnit
"I have forgotton what it's like to cover a playofff team" he says......so un#^%&*%$$#necessary

get

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
"I have forgotton what it's like to cover a playofff team" he says......so unfuckingnecessary

I've forgot what it's like to support a playoff team, honestly the only thing I remember about the last time we were in a playoff game was watching on a crappy 12 inch CRT TV and drinking Sprite because I was too young to drink alcohol.