Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 6/2/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_91?Page=0

Will Trey Watts remain a Ram after this suspension? How about Pead? Keep him around for some extra competition?

Watts needs to have a very good training camp in order to give the Rams' coaches something to think about. As does Pead. Obviously, Watts' suspension opens up another opportunity for Pead to stick around.
--------
Any updates on Gurley's health yet?

Nothing yet. We'll know more later in the week at the open OTAs.
---------
Was there any Rams offer to Joe Barksdale that was better than what he received from San Diego?

Both the Rams and Atlanta offered more money.
--------
IF both healthy, Bradford out performs Noles or vice versa?

I'd say Bradford. But the "if healthy" is a monumental "if."
--------
I keep reading the Rams drafted "road graders" and they're a ground and pound team...."Gradest Show on Turf"? Kind of catchy if they can really run the ball.

Yeah, which I believe is what they've been trying to do for 3-plus years.
--------
What will Garcia's role be?

He has the title of offensive assistant. It's an entry level position and involves a lot of grunt work. It's not a high-profile position.
---------
Do you think Nick Foles can lead the Rams to the playoffs?

If Foles stays healthy, the young offensive line produces, and the defense plays up to its press clippings _ yes.
-------
I just saw the Tre Mason Wired of his 3TD game vs OAK & he seems like a super exhuberant & likeable but humble well grounded guy with high character. He & Gurley could be big together yeah?

Yeah, it's just a matter of finding enough work for both _ and Gurley getting healthy.
--------
Does Cody Davis make the team this year??
How about Christian Bryant?

Barring injury, McDonald, McLeod, and Barron are locks. I would think Alexander would be close to a lock because of his draft status (fourth round). That leaves one spot if the team goes with five safeties. And at this point I think Davis would have the edge over Bryant.
--------
Has the season ticket sales dropped from last year at this time?

From what I have been told, yes, ticket sales are down although I can't give you a percentage.
---------
With all the moves made on the o-line, staying the course at WR, and total overhaul in the QB room, I think we may see more of the wide open offense that they tried in the beginning of '13 as opposed to the G&P they are trying to sell. Thoughts?

No chance.
---------
Is there a large amount of technique difference between run blocking and pass blocking as an o-lineman? When someone is good at one but not the other, is it seen as a difficult transition to become good at both?

Well, run-blocking takes more strength and power. Pass-blocking takes more athleticism and footwork. I know that's a big generalization, but that's it in a nutshell. Of course, there are also line calls, blitz pickups, dealing with stunts and blitzes that must be taken into account as well in pass blocking. This mental part can be just as difficult for incoming college players as the physical part.
----------
The national perspective on the Rams' WR corps still seems to be that there are no real playmakers. Why do Snead/Fisher feel good about their options on the outside especially considering Quick has still yet to prove he is 100% healthy?

They're banking that Quick will pick up where he left off, that Britt will continue to play like he did last year, and that Austin and Bailey continue to improve. Plus, they have a pretty good idea of what to expect from Cook and Kendricks at tight end. And they're hoping they'll be catching passes from a first-string QB most if not all of preseason.
--------
any word on how the 3 FA RB's, Brown Laskey and Franks looked during rookie camp?

Nothing yet. Today was their first full practice and was not open to the media.
---------
Do you think Bradford will have a tougher adjustment to the philly O, or foles to the STL O?

I don't think it'll be too tough for either. Remember, Bradford has his former OC as a rookie, Pat Shurmur, in the same role in Philly. So that will make the transition easier.
---------
I have hopes for more simple offense with better execution... have you interviewed the New OC yet ... any insights to how he thinks? Everyone knowing what to do on every play was a problem at times for the rams.

Yes, I wrote a couple of stories on Cignetti right after he was hired. He's run-oriented, yet flexible. His overall philosophy isn't that different from Fisher. He does want a simpler playbook with simpler terminology.
--------
Any word on pending FA Justin Blalock?

I've heard nothing in the way of updates at this point. Just not in a hurry to sign. Looking for the right fit. And we're not talking about Will Shields here, although his experience would be a plus.
--------
The player on offense with the most potential to gain pro-bowl/all-pro status is ______

A healthy Gurley. And probably a healthy Saffold.
--------
If you were Nick Foles would you make sure your insurance policies are up to date? The ol could be very painful for him.

He needs to get the ball out quick.
---------
Roger Saffold: Any hopes of him playing RG, not LG this year .. he is great pulling to the left from the right side, looked lost, slow, tentative pulling right from the left

I guess it's possible. We'll see where he lines up in OTAs.
---------
I'm looking through Cignetti's Bio and I see he was with Cal Bears and DeSean Jackson when they were averaging 33 points a game. Do you see him opening up the offense (a little) and utilizing Austin and bailey in the same fashion, or is Fisher going to keep a tight leash on the offense?

Again, I believe the basic philosophy won't be much different.
---------
How much do you expect Foles to play in preseason? Will he need more reps than a holdover starter?

You would think so, but Fisher in the past has been pretty conservative about playing his top starters very much in the preseason.
--------
Do you think there are any negative effects from the Rams waiting to start OTAs later than every other club in the NFL?

No.
--------
Fisher's decision to jettison SB or front office?

I wonder about that one. Only because even Fisher was telling close associates that he thought the Rams would get a deal done with Bradford.
---------
Why no Sunday or Monday night Games for the Rams? Do you think attendance was a part of the decision?

Lack of success, I'm sure, was the main issue.
---------
Now that the Rams D is loaded over or under 60 sacks for the season?

60 is a big number. I'll say under.
----------
Best season Mariota or Winston?

Winston. Has better talent around him.
---------
Your predictions on NFC West?

1.) Seattle; 2.) Arizona; 3.) St. Louis; 4.) San Fran.
--------
Is the Post-Dispatch moving into another building downtown? Do you have a desk there? Or do you basically work from home and Rams Park?

Yes, we're moving to another building. Haven't had a desk there in years. Work either at Rams Park, on the road, or occasionally at home.
--------
Do you stay in touch with former Ram players?
Could you call Kurt, Isaac or Marshall if you wanted to?

Of course.
---------
Does it concern you that Atlanta chose former Ram Mike Persons over Justin Blalock?

No.
--------
Jim hopefully Fisher has the team ready to play against Seattle. First game last year they did not look ready. Been to training camp the last two years; looks like a country club atmosphere. They do not seem to work that hard. Any Thoughts?

It was shocking how unprepared the Rams looked in last year's opener. Hopefully that changes this year.
--------
They've been unprepared each of the last 3 seasons.

Well, they won their opener in 2013 vs. Arizona.
--------
Your choice owner like Kronke or Jerry Jones?

I'd take Jones any day.
---------
Hi Jim--are you more or less optimistic about the Rams than you were before the draft and the Bradford/Foles trade?

About the same.
---------
I'm hearing reports that T Rob Havenstein and G Jamon Brown were over drafted by as much as 3 rounds early? Have you seen same? Can you report on contrary scouting?

I don't know if Havenstein was over-drafted, but I'd say Brown was. But not by three rounds.
--------
Did the Rams always intend to target DT Fairley or was that a surprise opportunity? Did it throw original plans to sign, say, free agent Olinemen?

I think Fairley was in their plans all along. I don't think it affected any plans to sign offensive linemen.
--------
With Fisher not liking to start rookies on opening day, how many rookies start the opener on the O line 0,1 or 2 ?

I'm going with 1 _ Havenstein.
--------
I saw a stat that 2nd round pick Havenstein benched 225lbs 16 times at the combine. That seems extremely low he a guy that weighs 330. Makes me wonder how he'll do against linemen that are a lot stronger than him. Hopefully I read it wrong....do you recall what it was and if true, what that might mean for him at the next level?

No, 16 is the correct number of reps at the combine for Havenstein in the 225-pound bench press. You'd expect more for someone with a road-grader reputation.
--------
Maybe the QB change will show if Bradford was the issue or not. But I'm very happy with our WR group. I won't be surprised if our points score total is up 20 - 25 this year.

It might. But I think the early concern is whether there will be enough protection for Foles with such an inexperienced offensive line.
---------
Hopefully the defense decides to play 16 games this season. I live in Philly and saw Foles play. If he gets time he is great. Do u think the OL aqusitions in the draft will give him that time

Very debatable whether OL draft picks will be able to give Foles enough time this year.
---------
Can Stedman Bailey beat out Quick on the outside, or is his primary competition with his former MVU teammate in the slot?

I believe the Rams coaches would prefer Quick in the starting lineup because of his size.
---------
Have read the discussions regarding the Rams losing Chris Long after this season due to cap considerations. Seems as if we are just getting close to putting together a competitive team, then we face losing some of the talent we've accumulated over the years. Fairley will also be a possible loss. Any others that come to mind?

Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Rodney McLeod, and Brian Quick also have contracts scheduled to expire after the 2015 season.
---------
Do you think Fairley is a long term starter for the Rams or just this year?

I'm gonna say a one-year rental. If he plays really well, the Rams will have a tough time keeping him beyond 2015.
---------
Jim, will you be at the Coach Fisher Softball Event? and I want to remind all the Rams fans to come out and have a good showing of support so we can keep the Rams in St.Louis beyond 2015.

I have a radio show obligation from 6-7 p.m. that day, but may join the festivities in progress.
---------
We find endless optimism for OL draft picks but forget about candidates like B Jones. If he's healthy, shouldn't he be ready to step in and be at least better than Wells?

It looks like that's the plan _ for Barrett Jones to have first crack at starting job.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh freak off Jim.

First :party:

And so it begins...:sneaky:

1zy8zd2

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Maybe Jerry Jones actually gives out his s
I quite like JT, think he made one negative comment and everyone flips out at his honest assessments of the team, but it's always fun reading those flip outs :sneaky:.

Exactly. JT is mostly quite bland with his comments. The best part of these chats is the over-the-top comments here. That's why I keep posting them. Plus it gives us an excuse to post ridiculous gifs and pics. :banana:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh freak off Jim.

First :party:
Do you think Nick Foles can lead the Rams to the playoffs?
If Foles stays healthy, the young offensive line produces, and the defense plays up to its press clippings _ yes.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Jerry Jones actually gives out his s

Exactly. JT is mostly quite bland with his comments. The best part of these chats is the over-the-top comments here. That's why I keep posting them. Plus it gives us an excuse to post ridiculous gifs and pics. :banana:
Don't you have anything better to do with your spare time? Like build that ham radio you've always talked about!! :ROFLMAO:;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't you have anything better to do with your spare time? Like build that ham radio you've always talked about!! :ROFLMAO:;)

You must have me confused with someone else, sir. I'm a vegetarian. :cool:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Fisher's decision to jettison SB or front office?

I wonder about that one. Only because even Fisher was telling close associates that he thought the Rams would get a deal done with Bradford.

Well then. I wonder if your axe will now be ground with Snead and Demoff rather than the Fish.

I saw a stat that 2nd round pick Havenstein benched 225lbs 16 times at the combine. That seems extremely low he a guy that weighs 330. Makes me wonder how he'll do against linemen that are a lot stronger than him. Hopefully I read it wrong....do you recall what it was and if true, what that might mean for him at the next level?

No, 16 is the correct number of reps at the combine for Havenstein in the 225-pound bench press. You'd expect more for someone with a road-grader reputation.

The dude is 6' 8" tall for phucksake. That needs to be taken into account. I will take a "plenty strong" dude with those long ass arms over a "super strong" bench press dude with no reach.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Well then. I wonder if your axe will now be ground with Snead and Demoff rather than the Fish.

The dude is 6' 8" tall for phucksake. That needs to be taken into account. I will take a "plenty strong" dude with those long ass arms over a "super strong" bench press dude with no reach.

That's a great point about his long ass arms and bench pressing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • I won't ask for specifics, but do you or any member of the PD staff have information about the future of Rams football in St. Louis that you are unable to divulge to the public? A simple Yes or No answer will suffice.
    by Turf Toe Jones 11:08 AM
  • 0e475d5f-323f-402d-8cf9-425ee2567049.jpg

Of course.

Ahhh, the secrecy....

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Both these answers come from a "TRUE" Rams Fan!!
both him and Wagoner annoy the shit out of me. Wagoner just doesn't give a shit and Thomas likes to bitch passive aggressively. maybe somebody at the Post and ESPN should hire a ROD member and actually pump a little enthusiasm into Rams reporting

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why no Sunday or Monday night Games for the Rams? Do you think attendance was a part of the decision?

Lack of success, I'm sure, was the main issue.

Yet the Redskins have 4 nationally televised and 3 prime time games. The Giants have 4 prime time games with the same record for 2 years as us. Hell even the Bills who haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years get 2. Schedule makers hate the Rams this year.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
both him and Wagoner annoy the crap out of me. Wagoner just doesn't give a crap and Thomas likes to bitch passive aggressively. maybe somebody at the Post and ESPN should hire a ROD member and actually pump a little enthusiasm into Rams reporting
Agreed! And I could send them a Long List of people I'd recommend!! X, RamzFanz, Allen, CoachO, Stranger, Mr. St. Louis, On and On, and On etc. etc. You Robocop! Any number of members here would be as qualified to do their Job!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Yet the Redskins have 4 nationally televised and 3 prime time games. The Giants have 4 prime time games with the same record for 2 years as us. Hell even the Bills who haven't been to the playoffs in 16 years get 2. Schedule makers hate the Rams this year.

I think if you take note of the geography involved, you'll have at least a partial answer...