Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 6/10/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_92?Page=0

I think the roster is defensively light at linebacker which may also effect special teams. Run down the position and guess your best 5 to make the 53-man roster.

Still a little light at LB, but not as light as it has been in recent years with the addition of Akeem Ayers. You have Ogletree at weak side, Laurinaitis in the middle, and Ayers at strong side. Jo-Lonn Dunbar will back up Ayers on the strong side and possibly compete for the starting spot. Dunbar can also back up the middle and the weak side.

Bates will make the roster based on his strong special teams alone. That's five players right there. That leaves Toomer, McFadden, and newcomer Hager as the "favorites" for what could be only one additional LB spot.
---------
I must have missed the memo this off-season. I have never been able to find out why Casey Phillips left for Tampa. I saw a joke-type comment online that the Rams upgraded, but surely she didn't get fired. Casey seemed to have a great rapport with players and a strong work ethic. Did she not get along with someone at Rams park? I don't care to know who, but just if she got fired or quit. I'm a Texas fan but I'll bet a lot of St. Louisians liked her as well (no disrespect to Dani).

I think she had some relatives in the Tampa area.
---------
who will fill the void at WR With Sasser gone?

Don't know that there's really a void minus Sasser. The team kept only five wide receivers last year, and all five of those WRs are back this year.
--------
Was wondering if there would be enough cap space to sign Evan Mathis from Philly to shore up the O-line, or is there something going on behind the scenes that makes him undesirable to the Rams...

Not unless he going to play for a lot less than he did in Philly.
-------
I keep hearing how Bradord is still gimpy. Do you think the rams dodged a bullet getting rid of him? Do you think they knew he wasnt close to recovery before the trade?

His rehab's gone a little slower than expected, but he has been taking part in 7-on-7 drills during Philly's OTAs.
--------
As it seems every year the biggest questions for Rams are offensive line and then the health of the quarterback which seem directly related to the play of the offensive line. I know it's very early but what are your impressions so far of the group? Do you think they'll be at least decent this year?

Way too early to tell. There have been 3 OTA practices open to the media. No pads. Nothing close to full contact.
-------
Do you think Fisher will ever believe in George Allen 's "the future is now"?

Doubt it.
--------
Are you favorably impressed by Havenstein thus far? How about Brown?

Too early to tell.
--------
Have the Rams signed all the rookies to contracts? If so how much cap room is left to sign an experienced lineman?

No. They haven't signed any of their rookies yet, as has been the custom since Fisher came aboard.
-------
Your best guess as to our starting OL?

LT _ Robinson; LG _ Saffold; C _ Jones; RG _ Brown or Reynolds; RT _ Havenstein.
--------
Over under week 1 for quick?

I believe he'll open the season at WR.
--------
Do you think our secondary is talented enough?

I still wonder about the cornerback position.
--------
Do you think the Rams will try any of our corners at FS with McLeod. Seems to be a logjam at CB.

Don't think so.
--------
It would seem time is of the essence for Austin to prove that he wasn't overdrafted. Are you optimistic that the new OC will finally be able to utilize him in a more meaningful fashion?

We'll see. It's not just up to the coordinator. It would help if Austin got open more often and did more with the opportunities he had.
--------
What do you make of this rash of 49ers "retiring" early?

Well, Justin Smith was up there, age-wise. But I do wonder if there is some kind of disconnect with the new head coach.
-------
What is your confidence level on a scale of one to ten that the OL you project will be a solid unit and not a liability this year?

Four
-------
Of the players whose contracts expire after this year, who will the team make a priority to resign?

Interesting question, because there are a lot of them. I'd say Zuerlein, and probably McLeod and Jenkins. As to Quick, it depends on what kind of season he has. With Hayes and Sims, it might depend not only on how this season progresses for them but also how some of the youngsters progress behind them _ particularly Westbrooks.
--------
if rams start off strong this year will they pay foles

I wonder if they let more of the season play out before they decide on Foles.
--------
given that 7th rounders are generally about 50/50 to make the roster, isn't hard to believe not one of 32 teams took a chance on Collins? Seems less risky than, say, Mike Sam. Is there something more to that the league isn't saying. That whole thing was fishy.

Yeah, I certainly would've risked a seventh-rounder on the guy. But I think it was more the timing
of the thing than anything _ the fact that all this happened so closely to the draft.
--------
After actual games, they're highlight of the week. How's Foles turnover game been doing? Has he looked the guy that threw only two interceptions in 2013 or more like the 2014 version tha threw almost as many interception as TDs?

He's thrown a couple of INTs, been inconsistent on his deep ball. Looked sharper Tuesday than he did last Thursday and Friday.
--------
I think the hiring of Garcia as an assistant may have more dividends than was obvious at first. He is stated to have been throwing to the receivers giving them more of an idea of what the qb is looking for. Being our receivers are so young, this may be something that was missing with Sherman, no disrespect to Sherman. I think this may be a underrated hire and maybe help the lightbulb kick on for our young receivers.

You could be right. The idea of teaching a still young WR corps about the passing game through a QB's eyes is intriguing and should help these guys grasp the big picture.
--------
I see too many big questions and potential problems with the offense this coming season. The only position that seems somewhat set is TE. Do you agree?

Running back should be solid, maybe much better than solid if Gurley is healthy and retains his college form. I think the WRs should be OK _ maybe better than OK if Quick picks up where he started 2015. The "ifs" are QB and o-line. And if those "ifs" are answered satisfactorily, I think the Rams can seriously compete for a playoff berth.
--------
In that case, wouldn't it make sense for Fisher to bring in Blalock or some other experienced vet on the OL who can actually play well?

Perhaps. But we're talking Blalock, not Will Shields.
-------
Not to sound cold because I feel aweful for Sasser, but might the Rams get a compensatory pick for him since it was a pre-existing condition?

Not a chance.
-------
Given Fisher's commitment to pounding the football, how surprised are you that he seems to be very cavalier in his approach to the offensive line?

They drafted four O-linemen and signed another (Reynolds) in free agency. So I wouldn't call that cavalier. Obviously, you can argue that they should've drafted higher or spent more in free agency. I think the idea is to give these youngsters reps and see how they fare early in camp _ maybe even early in the preseason _ until you think about bringing in vets.
--------
I've always thought - in contrast to many other fans - that Bradford would be terrific if he had good talent around him. So, if it turns out that Foles does not work out, Fisher will have basically traded a starting QB for one pick this year and possibly a second rounder next year. Could backfire, don't you think, especially if Sam plays well in Philadelphia?

Yeah, it certainly could. But let's see if Bradford can stay healthy.
-------
If rams go 6-10 this year is fisher gone?

I don't sense that that will be the case.
-------
Any idea what it means when Rams players say that the new OC is bring new wrinkles to the offense? Just more running plays, more passing plays or more trick plays? Or just talk?

We'll try to find out in the coming months.
--------
Players looking fine conditioning wise or have there been some issues?

I don't want to pretend to speak for 89 players, but conditioning doesn't seem to be an issue.
-------
Did you attend coach Fischer's softball game. It was entertaining seeing the various personalities of the players. It would be a shame if the area would lose the diversity that the Rams bring to the St Louis professional sports scene. I wonder if your editorial board has ever had this discussion.

I was there for most of it. I think you make a good point, especially when you factor in all of he community service the team does.
---------
I didn't think Nick Foles had any more of a reputation than Bradford for being a vocal QB and locker room leader? He seems to have amped up his QB personality in STL, marching orders from Fisher or this is how he was in PHILA as well?

I don't know if he's amped up his personality. The point of my story was more that he was trying to build relationships here, and that this was just as important as learning the playbook, etc., in terms of any future success for the offense and the team. In that sense, I think the headline was a little strong: Here's the link to the story:http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_0315c057-661b-57f4-b79b-54bbde050d4b.html
--------
over/under...Donald gets 12 sacks

Under.
--------
do we have a 1,000 yard reeiver this year?

No.
-------
name the 3 most valuable players currently on the team

Tough to come up with 3. Robert Quinn, Aaron Donald, James Laurinaitis.
--------
I found on YouTube that Robert Bailey set the NFL punt return record with 103 yards back in 1994 with the Rams (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE2yWZgzlQs
). I always thought that once the ball enters the end zone after a punt it's dead, or does someone have to touch it before it's ruled dead? If it's the former, when did this rule change? I tried to look up the NFL rules, but I can't really decipher them.

Ball is not dead on a punt return if the player touches it.
--------
Do you think the Rams slow start in the past few years has anything to do with Fisher's pre-season conditioning? Seems the Rams are one of the last teams to do anything as far as OTA and mini-camps go

I wonder. I think you have to take all of that into account. Including the possibility that maybe the veterans should play more during the preseason.
--------
In looking at the schedule, the first part looks brutal, but after the bye week, it looks like the Rams could do some damage. Where do you see St. Louis picking up momentum for a playoff run?

They've got to start well early. Minimum of 3-2 record in those first five games.
-------
over/under Quinn gets 12 sacks

Over.
-------
true/false Gurley gets over 800 yards rushing..

I'm gonna say true.
--------
I've never seen the word "unprecedented" used so much in one chat. We are living in strange times with our Rams. I'd like to try something out... If you could use one word that would describe our Rams winning the super bowl this year, what would it be?

Miraculous
--------
Rams have a opportunity to create buzz with a winning start to the season. IF they do will the fans show?

Couldn't hurt.
-------
Has Wells and Jake Long filed retirement paperwork with the NFL. If not are they working out and hoping to get a call when injuries to OL occur.

Not to my knowledge (on the retirement papers). I think both want to play next year.
--------
Even if Foles just game manages the offense, is this the best Fisher Rams team we've seen so far?

Other than the O-line, which is still a question mark, I think it's easily the most talented team Fisher has had in St. Louis. And I'm not saying the O-line doesn't have talent and potential, it's just very, very, very inexperienced.
--------
When you say the Rams don't have a 1000 yd WR, is it because of talent or offensive philosophy?

A little bit of both.

Alan

Legend
"over/under...Donald gets 12 sacks

Under."

"over/under Quinn gets 12 sacks

Over."

:LOL:

I'm a little surprised about the love for JL.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford is a bit gimpy........ha ha ha!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to throw out a BIG THANK YOU to Prime Time for stirring the shyte pot again!!

(just kidding, friend... well, I think I'm kidding :confused::))

RamzFanz

Damnit
Jim Thomas seems to be slightly moving away from the glib pessimism. Slightly.

I can easily seeing Aaron Donald exceeding last year's slow start totals by 4 for the over 12 sacks. He had 9 in 12 starts. That extrapolates to 12 in 16 starts as a rookie on a team with a new OC and scheme.

By comparison, Quinn only had 10.5 in 16 games but he's going to jump to 14? It makes no sense. Donald is probably every bit as talented at the pass rush as Quinn and, dare I say, maybe even more so.

do we have a 1,000 yard reeiver this year?

No.

I disagree. I think this is the season we start seeing 1,000+ yard receiver(s) again. Foles has no fear of the go up and get it long ball and Rams have 2 go up and get it receivers. With a run game that very well may be a powerhouse and a starting quality QB for an entire season (crosses fingers), I don't see how they could not in what I perceive to be an easier schedule.

Quick was on pace to have 857 with second and third string QBs and half the run game Rams should be bringing this season. Britt had 748 with countless bad passes and scrambling QBs.

Of course, if the O-line is a complete disaster, then I retract all of this.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I'm very curious about the "linebacker shortage" he mentions. How do we stack up comparativelye to other 4-3 teams? Going to have to check that out when I get home from work.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
looking at the schedule, the first part looks brutal, but after the bye week, it looks like the Rams could do some damage. Where do you see St. Louis picking up momentum for a playoff run?

They've got to start well early. Minimum of 3-2 record in those first five games.
Yep.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm very curious about the "linebacker shortage" he mentions. How do we stack up comparativelye to other 4-3 teams? Going to have to check that out when I get home from work.
I know I'm In minority but I think Ogletree is the only decent lb we have