Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/28/15 - Draft Q&A only

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Most of this chat is expectantly about the upcoming draft. To read all of the Q&A click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_88?Page=0
If you were the Rams GM who would you target at the #10 pick or would you trade down?

I think I take the best offensive lineman available at 10. Or a WR if someone named Cooper or White is available at 10.
----------
How much $ did Shane Ray cost himself?

The fifth overall pick a year ago, Khalil Mack, signed a four-year deal worth $18.7 million. The 9th overall pick, Anthony Barr, signed a four-year deal worth $12.7 million. So that's a $6 million difference there. Even the difference between No. 9 overall and No. 10 overall pick Eric Ebron last year was $500,000. So I think Ray slides a few spots, but I can't tell you that many.
---------
Any rumors of the Rams moving up to No. 3 pick since Snead is good friends with the Jags GM?

Not sure why you'd move up to No. 3.
-------
Could you see a scenario where Snisher would consider taking a guy like Gregory or Ray probably slipping because of off field issues at 10?

Possibly. I think both could be there. Gregory has more issues than Ray, but I think most would say he's more gifted than Ray athletically.
----------
If I'm the Rams GM, I call Tennessee and offer them Foles, the 10 pick, and next years 2nd rounder we got from Philly,....just to spite Chip Kelly and draft Marriotta. Think the Titans would be interested?

If they were interested in Foles, why wouldn't Tennessee trade for him I the first place?
--------
is Todd Gurley pick at #10 a Fisher type of RB? And would Fisher draft him?

Hard to see that happening, especially since there are no guarantees Gurley would be able to go on opening day.
--------
Are you high on White and how is his route running? I'd figure they could get a WR in the 2nd round if they really wanted a WR.

I like him. I'd certainly draft him if he were there at No. 10. I think he's a pretty good route runner. I do wonder a little bit, though, because he's pretty much a one-year wonder. And I wonder a little bit about West Virginia wide receivers, since Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey put up similarly great numbers there, but haven't taken the NFL by storm. But again, I'd still take him.
--------
If you were the Rams would you try and move up a little but in the second round to ensure getting a viable O-line starter. To me it seems like the cost would be less prohibitive there especially if we take someone at another position in the first round.

What you're saying makes sense. But if there are several offensive linemen you like at the start of the second round that are still on the board, why not just stand pat? And if you take an O-linemen in Round 2, do you think you'll get a decent QB in Round 3?
-------
my read is the Rams have to get an OL and QB with their first 2 picks...is there any other scenario that makes more sense - and do the Rams like Peat enough to get him at 10 if Scherrf is gone -

The most logical thing to do is just what you suggest: OL in Round 1, QB in Round 2, and maybe another O-lineman in Round 3. As we all know, logic sometimes goes out the window in the draft. I don't know if the Rams like Peat well enough to take him at 10 overall. But I did have a scout tell me that Peat should go much higher than where he has been projected to go in many of the media mock drafts.
---------
Do you see the Rams trading up for Mariota?

As Fisher put it at the NFL owners meetings late last month: "highly unlikely."
---------
Is there an Offensive Lineman that you really want the Rams to get?

Brandon Scherff makes a lot of sense. I think he's better than his tape showed last season (because of the knee injury). He's exactly what you need on what's shaping up as a very young O-line: a tough, physical run-blocker. But you almost certainly will have to play him at guard. But do you take a guard that high in the draft? And I can see the attraction of Andrus Peat and La'El Collins.
----------
I think the Rams should go the route of the Cowboys and finally put our O-line issues to rest....whatever it takes, period. I'd have no problem (in fact, I'd prefer it) if we traded back and picked up an extra 2nd, 3rd or 4th rd. pick and used our #1 on Florida St. C Cameron Erving or South Carolina G A.J. Cann...two "plug and play" players for the next 10 years. I know a lot of this is contingent on re-signing Barksdale, but I think the Rams will since it seems that he's overvalued himself in FA.

I know most will disagree with my line of thinking but I think that if and until we get our O-line issues fixed it won't matter who we have at QB, RB, or WR. I remember most people laughed when the Cowboys used their #1 pick (granted it was pick #31 overall) on Wisconsin C Travis Frederick back in 2013...well, they're not laughing now. I'd then go QB in the 2nd (Petty or Hundley)...but resolving our O-line issues once and for all should be the paramount goal of this draft. What do you think Jim?

I think you've stated the perfect case for trading down. But not too much. I don't think you want to be behind Houston (No. 16 overall), because the Texans could take Erving. But then you still need a tackle. If it's Barksdale, then OK. I don't know if trading down from 10 to say 15 in the first round is enough to get an extra second-rounder.
----------
Behind the top two QB's there seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the best of the rest. What are your thoughts on Brett Hundley and who would fit best with the Rams?

I've heard from a scout _ on another team _ who thinks that the Rams really like Hundley. I think Hundley projects pretty good leadership skills, cares about his craft, and provides mobility for when the pocket breaks down. But his pocket presence looks like an issue, and I'd have to make sure in my mind that he has the discipline to go through his reads without cutting and running at the first sign of danger.

I like Petty a lot but another scout that I talked to thinks it could take him a couple, three years to be ready to go in a pro style offense. And lastly, I've heard from another source _ someone who has access to the front office _ that the Rams like Sean Mannion, who is more NFL ready because he played in pro style offense at Oregon State, but threw a lot of interceptions last season and has a long delivery.
-------
Does the CBA agreement that makes the 5th-year option on top-10 picks more expensive than the other 1st-rounders make the #10 overall pick less attractive to teams that the Rams would like to trade down with? Or is the 5th-year option too far in the future for a GM to care much?

I think it could be a small factor. But if you really want the guy at No. 10, I don't think it stops you.
---------
Jim--do you think Philly trades Bradford to Cleveland?

No. But a part of me will only believe Chip Kelly doesn't want Mariota when I hear another team call his name.
--------
If Kevin white falls to 10 do you immediately take him?

Yes.
---------
Is there an OT worthy of a top 10 pick ?

Sure. Peat. Some mocks have Flowers in the top 10.
-------
How do you rate the top five QB's in the upcoming draft? I don't understand the Rams reluctance to pay Barksdale starters money if they intend to start him. Your take?

As to the top 5 QBs in the draft; I rate them in this order: Winston, Mariota, Petty, Hundley, Garrett Grayson. As for the Rams' reluctance to play Barksdale starters money; they feel they're offering him what he's worth.
--------
Please give me your opinion... Would you rather have Chase Daniel (I still think he can be a starter in the NFL, and he's more of a "known quantity.") or would you rather have ANY of the 2nd tier QB's in this draft? (Petty/Hundley/Grayson/Manion).

You'd have to trade for Daniel because he's still under contract. I don't think it would take a lot for Daniel, but you'd still have to give up something. And you're picking up a player who's scheduled to make about $3 million I believe in base salary in '15. Wait. I'll look it up. . . . .Daniel is due $3.75 million in base salary in 2015, and then he's a free agent in '16. Plus, he's thrown only 75 regular-season passes since entering the league in 2009. So I'm going second-tier.
---------
Where will you watch the draft from?

Rams Park as always.
---------
If Dorial Green-Beckham was sitting there in the second round, and the Rams had drafted Schreff or Peat in the first round, would the Rams seriously consider drafting DGB?

Maybe. But I'd think under those circumstances the Rams would got for a QB instead.
---------
It's certainly looks like the Rams will take a OT with the 10th pick. But what are the chances of drafting Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, or White: I think they are offensive difference makers and The Rams could definite use more of that.

Don't think Cooper or White will be there. And it sure seems high for a post-surgery Gurley or Gordon.
---------
Seems like Zac Stacy got in the dog house for a minute last year.. Does he have more of an expanded role in 2015? I'd rather take Gurly at 10

He does if he beats out Mason for the starting job and Cunningham for the backup/third-down job. It's hard to work 3 RBs into a rotation.
--------
That second rounder next year from philly might be a nice leverage pick to move up in the second or possibly jump into the late first if need be.

Yes indeed.
----------
Would you take Cooper or White over Scherff at 10?

Yes.
-------
What are the chances the Rams take another "developmental" player in the first round that's not on anybodys radar? Rather than a safe pick that can produce in week 1?

In general, they like potential and measurables over production. And sometimes they think a little outside the box. But when you say someone that's not on anybody's radar, I don't see that.
--------
After trading for 2 young QB's and having a decimated OLine, do you really think that the Rams can afford to draft another project QB? I would have thought that picking up Foles would buy them some time.

Remember, Foles, Keenum, and Davis all have contracts that expire after the 2015 season.
--------
Do you think that Shane Ray and Randy Gregory messed up the Rams draft? Whereas the Rams would have had somewhat of multiple choices at 10 with these two knuckleheads being taken in the top 10. Now with players shifting upward, could even the best OL projected picks be gone, Cooper and White gone aswell? Your thoughts

You make a very interesting point. If both Gregory and Ray fall out of the top 10, it could cause some of their potential options to rise. We'll see soon enough.
---------
do you think the NFL is at all concerned with an alleged rapist likely the 1st overall pick given the PR situations they've had lately. As I recall Big Ben wasn't convicted of anything and still had a suspension. Is there any possibility of the league reprimanding Winston?

Don't think so at this point.
--------
Do you think Ray wanted to fall to the Rams? Everyone says we have a fun defense to play in.

Ha!
--------
I can understand the temptation to take a top WR or DE at #10, but this regime still hasn't spent much draft capital (outside of Robinson) on the offensive line. They've spent the last 3 years fixing the mistakes of the Spags and Linehan eras. Don't you think they'll take an OT or OG in the first and complete that process? There will be a new Cooper/White/Gregory/Ray/whomever next year.

Eric, you've made a very convincing argument for an OL. But if Cooper or White is there, I turn in the card. Draft an OL in Round 3 and Round 4. (I'm taking a QB in Round 2.) I sign Barksdale and Blaylock in free agency, and off we go.
---------
If a wr is at the top of the Ram's board at 10 is there any chance they would take the wr and trade Austin? Could they get a 2nd rounder for him?

A second-rounder> Kind of doubt it.
--------
Did Brandon Scherff ever make a pre draft visit?

None that I could confirm.
---------
What will be the story of the draft that everyone's talking about next week?

How did Kelly pull off that trade up for Mariota. :)
---------
Do you think the Rams should only draft offensive players this year? Defense seems pretty set except for maybe a couple depth guys

I would do as you say.
----------
I question Fisher's ability to develop an effective offense, and that his agreement to come to St. Louis has given him considerable authority over the draft, more so than in other GM-coach circumstnaces, which given what I see is a mediocre record beyond 1st and second round picks spells long-term problems. I'm acutally more optimistic about the Raider's GM McKenzie if Davis gets out of the way (a big if, I suppose); so I wouldn't be unhappy with the Raiders in St. Louis as a long-term bet.

Well, the Rams did draft Isaiah Pead in the second round in 2012, and trade up for Tavon Austin in 2013. So it's not as if Fisher hasn't tried to draft potential playmakers. Obviously he does have a lot of say over the draft. As for mediocre record for draft picks after Rounds 1&2, I'm not sure I agree with your premise. T.J. McDonald, Tre Mason, E.J. Gaines, Greg Zuerlein, Zac Stacy have all been taken after Round 2. As for McKenzie, I'm not really well-versed on his track record as GM, and right now, I don't have to be.

V3

Hall of Fame
Good grief, I hope they don't spend a 2nd on a QB in this draft.