Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/14/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One of the things I like about this forum is they don't tolerate personal attacks (even if they are thinly veiled).

Sarcasm should be posted in blue font. :sneaky:

Even though JT has a bit of a vanilla style, imo, I like him and enjoy reading his chats, if only in the hope that I will read something I didn't know before. Unfortunately that is becoming less and less of an occurrence.

His lack of interest is undoubtedly because of the many years of losses, which is understandable. But to complain to his readers about not getting notified ahead of time about a trade is unprofessional and assures he has zero access in the future. In his defense, this week he did not do that so hopefully he's moved on.

Myself and most other Rams fans will continue to read his columns because let's face it, there isn't much out there to choose from when it comes to articles about our team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sarcasm should be posted in blue font. :sneaky:

Even though JT has a bit of a vanilla style, imo, I like him and enjoy reading his chats, if only in the hope that I will read something I didn't know before. Unfortunately that is becoming less and less of an occurrence.

His lack of interest is undoubtedly because of the many years of losses, which is understandable. But to complain to his readers about not getting notified ahead of time about a trade is unprofessional and assures he has zero access in the future. In his defense, this week he did not do that so hopefully he's moved on.

Myself and most other Rams fans will continue to read his columns because let's face it, there isn't much out there to choose from when it comes to articles about our team.
Duly noted... however, it is one of the things I like about the forum. ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below.
I'm a Ram fan from Canada, I come to St. Louis at least once a year to see the Rams - always have a great time in St. Louis. My question is how do you think the Rams feel about the Mark Barron trade now? Happy with him or do you think that they'd rather the 4th and 6th round pick?
I'd say they're happy with Barron, and would like to expand his role in 2015.
I do not see how they could be all that happy with what limited play that Fisher got from Mark Barron/strong safety. It hard for me to figure out how Gregg is going to expand the role of MB. MB is no deep free safety & we saw that many times late last season. TJ McDonald is our starting SS where TJ is an outstanding & ascending strong safety talent & the last thing I want is to see him come off the field on a regular basis.

So where will they get the value that was invested in MB? He will cost ($2.6 plus million) this season then add in the value of the 4th & 6th round selections in this yrs draft for what is now just a back up SS. Many here have said offering up the reason that the cost was very low, in the same breath that this draft is weak & starters will be very hard to be found after the second day, but some of them are the same members saying that starters for the OL can be easily found there???o_O That makes no sense.

MB played mostly two positions in a part time capacity last season. MB's main role was in his play in the two versions of Gregg's Big Nickle special defenses. One version is where Barron would take up the SSLB'er post with four DB's the other is when Barron & Joyner(Nickleback) are on the field total of six DB's with only one LB'er.

Fisher just signed another acceding young talent UFA strong side LB'er named Akeem Ayers to a average annual salary of $3 mil. So they have beefed up the SSLB post very nicely. So is MB going to get into the mix @ SSLB? :cautious: or @ SS where Fisher drafted & have signed two SS's from last yr in 4th rounder Maurice Alexander & late round pick Christian Bryant. So both the posts where MB played last season are well fortified & solid IMO. So just how is Gregg going to expand MB role in 2015?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being outside St louis, I never had a problem with JT. In fact I like his stuff.
However, it was pretty clear to me that his whole style shifted after the Bradford trade, and IMO his writing has been somewhat Bernie-like since.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below.
#1-What would you say the percentages are of the Rams re-signing Joe Barksdale?
55-45
#2-What are you hearing is Barksdale market value, would 3 years and $10million get it done. Signing a possible starter on the line gives them much more flexibility in the draft to go with best player available
Haven't heard. But I'd be surprised if it was more than $4 million per year.
#3-Would you regard Barksdale as the long term solution at RT, if he is re-signed?
If by long-term, you mean the next two to three seasons _ yes.
Ref?#1-I would think that Barksdale camp is thinking they have the Rams bent over a barrel with their pants down here where Rams will eventually be forced to pay very close to the original asking price along with it being long term....if that happens then a Barksdale signing will be a total Ram team disaster.
Ref?#2- 4 million a year with any up front major guaranteed $$$$ would make me :sick:
Ref?#3- Disagree 100% with Jim Thomas here JB is nothing more than very short term solution.

lockdnram21

Legend
Ref?#1-I would think that Barksdale camp is thinking they have the Rams bent over a barrel with their pants down here where Rams will eventually be forced to pay very close to the original asking price along with it being long term....if that happens then a Barksdale signing will be a total Ram team disaster.
Ref?#2- 4 million a year with any up front major guaranteed $$$$ would make me :sick:
Ref?#3- Disagree 100% with Jim Thomas here JB is nothing more than very short term solution.
Hes not the long term solution. Go back and look at the tape he gets beat like a drum vs speed rushers and hasnt faired well vs our division. I see nothing more then a backup