Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 4/14/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpts from the Q&A. To read about the draft, relocation, and stadium issues click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_86?Page=0

Jim, if you're the decision maker, what would cause you to keep or fire Fisher and/or Snead after this year?

I think you've got to see .500 this year.
----------
Jim, what was the end result of the Rams violating their lease by playing in London? I never heard what, if any, was the resolution.

Well, it ended up being only a one-year deal _ not three games. I think the team freed up some more time on the yearly calendar for the CVC to use for conventions. But I don't recall anything major.
--------
How do you feel the Pro Bowl playing in Brazil? I know its all about the $$$. But as a player, I wouldn't be thrilled about it.

The NFL is obsessed with growing their game and making it international in nature. Some players might like making the trip. Especially if it's played in one of the coastal cities.
---------
Hi Jim, do yuo know why Schotty took a college job of the same role? Seems leaving the NFL to go to College is the wrong direction? It coudn't have been money could it?

We covered this at the time of his departure. The south has always been a pull for him and his family. He interviewed for at least one job in a southern city each offseason that he was with the Rams. Also, his NFL career had stalled, and taking a college job _ even as an OC _ might be a way to revive it and perhaps get a head-coaching job in college.
---------
is the new o.c. developing better packages for Tavon Austin this year? Really didn't like seeing him in the backfield even though he did that in college. He needs to be 1 on 1 in space.

That's the plan according to Fisher and the new O.C. _ Cignetti. We'll see.
--------
I'm a Ram fan from Canada, I come to St. Louis at least once a year to see the Rams - always have a great time in St. Louis. My question is how do you think the Rams feel about the Mark Barron trade now? Happy with him or do you think that they'd rather the 4th and 6th round pick?

I'd say they're happy with Barron, and would like to expand his role in 2015.
---------
Has there been any movement on the part of the Rams to sign some FA OL help? Any news on Barksdale?

All quiet on the FA front. The Rams continue to have dialogue with Barksdale's agent, but as of Monday nothing appeared imminent.
---------
Wisniewski is still available. Any interest there from the Rams?

I think the Rams have maintained a degree of interest.
-------
Any chances Dunbar gets released if he doesnt beat out the free agent ayers?

Possible, but his contract isn't all that expensive, so the Rams certainly could keep both.
---------
Does the latest news about Lawrence Phillips surprise you?

Very sad. I know this sounds like stating the obvious, but I just never thought he was a good person.
----------
What are the prospects of the Rams signing Justin Blaylock?

Blalock is in no hurry to sign, I'm told by his agent, but I still think there's a decent chance he'll end up with the Rams.
---------
Is Brockers on notice with the signing of Nick Fairley?

Let's wait and see if the Rams exercise the fifth-year option on Brockers before we answer that.
-------
What can we do to get Jim Thomas excited about talking about the Rams again?

Winning would be nice, for starters.
---------
What would you say the percentages are of the Rams re-signing Joe Barksdale?

55-45.
----------
what w take for stan to fire fisher?

I'm gonna say 6-10.
---------
jim im a rams fan in philly, and the talk is that foles is nothing better then a back-up in this league, your thoughts.

I think a healthy Bradford is better than Foles. But as to what Foles is, I'm not sure. Too small of a sample size. Is he the 27 TD/2 INT guy of 2013? Or is he the so-so performer of 2014 who missed half the season with injury? Or somewhere in between?
---------
Some of the Rams fans and NFL guru reporters, are saying caution about the Foles and Bradford trade. Saying that Foles is not that good of a Quarterback. I just have a feeling that someone who throws 27 TD's in a season is usually not a backup Quarterback! Your thoughts Jim?

Well, those numbers _ 27 and 2 _ certainly jump out at you. Obviously those aren't the kind of numbers put up by ham & eggers. So you have to factor that in. But were they partially due to the system? And a strong supporting cast?
--------
Soooooo, I should hold off buying my Foles Ram jersey until next season?

No. Get it. Wear it.
---------
So 1 superbowl appearance in 50 years wins out over 2 superbowl appearances in 20 years?

No, half a century wins out over 20 years.
--------
what are you hearing is Barksdale market value, would 3 years and $10million get it done. Signing a possible starter on the line gives them much more flexibility in the draft to go with best player available

Haven't heard. But I'd be surprised if it was more than $4 million per year.
---------
Do you expect Tavon Austin to excel this year with the change of offensive coordinators? I really like to see them being used effectively.

I don't know about "excel," but once again I think a concerted effort will be made to get him more involved.
---------
Why the inactivity with regard to the team's biggest need, offensive line?

As Nelly would say, must be the money.
-------
Has there ever been an NFL team in history as universally hated by all those outside their home market as the New England Patriots?

You know, you may be right. I can't really think of any. I don't even think the Raiders in their heyday. Or even the Cowboys.
---------
Who has more yards this season, Sam or Nick?

Sam
--------
How much cap room do the Rams have left?

$9.8 million according to latest from the NFLPA.

I think if they were going to do anything of a restructuring nature, they would've done so with the $10 million roster bonus due Robert Quinn. (The Rams have already paid that roster bonus to Quinn, so that avenue is no longer available.)
---------
How would you grade Fisher and Snead so far? Draft is way better than Ziggy but the free agent signings is really bad. Hopefully it's better this year.

Well, they did an admirable job getting the team from horrible to nearly-respectable, but can't seem to make that next jump. They've certainly drafted better than they've fared in free agency.
--------
If Philly ends up trading Bradford to Cleveland for a 1st round pick, would you have rather the Rams traded him to Cleveland or are they better off with Foles and the 2nd rounder?

Fisher has said the key to him in the Bradford trade was getting a QB in return (Foles).
---------
Is it really conceivable that our starting OL this season might consist of a couple of rookies and another stopgap FA signing, like Davin Joseph all over again?? With the same results?

Hope not.
---------
Haven't seen any tweets from Chris Long regarding the Bradford trade. Have the players been banned from using twitter.

I believe he had a tweet or two on the topic right after the trade took place.
---------
Overall, pre-draft, how would you rate the Rams off-season performance? The Cignetti hiring was incredibly underwhelming, even if practical, and the they have failed to address their biggest weakness so far (O-Line) while padding their shiny toy defense with depth.

Don't forget the re-signings of Britt and Kendricks. I think they were both good re-signs. But right now? At this moment? With nothing done on the O-line, I'd grade the Rams in the C range on the offseason at this point.
--------
I have heard talk tavon might be on trading block have you heard anything on this?

I think I've seen what you've seen.
---------
Do you think any of the coaches or team execs read these or other fans' chats?

Some do.
---------
Would you regard Barksdale as the long term solution at RT, if he is re-signed?

If by long-term, you mean the next two to three seasons _ yes.
----------
As the team stands right now, do you think they have enough to reach the playoffs? If not, what more will it take?

I do think they can contend for the playoffs in 2015 with a healthy Foles and if they get the O-line straightened out.
--------
While we're talking jerseys, I have huge regret over not purchasing an authentic Steve Walsh #4 jersey on clearance. They had ironically marked it down to $4. Would I have been overcharged?

He had some good moments in college.
---------
Why do you think Fisher hasn't been able to recreate the success he had in Tennessee?

Can I wait till the end of the 2015 season to answer that?
---------
Some major college football conferences have gone from seven man officiating crews to eight man. Do you think that adding an eighth man to the NFL officiating system could help in getting a better officiated NFL game?

Maybe. It is a fast-moving game and an extra set of eyes wouldn't hurt.
--------
Do you know if Vermeil has visited Philips at anytime while he has been incarcerated?

Good memory.
---------
Who would get your vote for must underrated player on the current Rams roster?

I think you'd have to have Kendricks, Harkey, Hayes, Sims in the discussion. But maybe you have to throw out Kendricks given his new contract.
---------
Jim when the schedule is released later this week I sure hope we don't get screwed again by another Cardinal baseball conflict. That's all we need is more empty seats on prime time.

I think we're talking next week for the schedule. The NFL is arrogant enough to do just that.
--------
Do you ever talk football with Bernie?

Often.
---------
in your time covering the Rams in St Louis, who's been the biggest draft bust, and why, and who's been the best draft steal, and why?

I believe Phillips is No.1 on one list and Pace is No. 1 on the other. I'll let you figure out which is which.
--------
Odds Rams end season in Seattle again?

80-20.
-------
Do you think Arizona will be good this year? I could see them being really strong or kind of receding after their flirtation with NFL stardom last year before Palmer got injured.

Yes. I'm a big admirer of Arians and Keim.
--------
We seem to have a log jam in the secondary. In your opinion, who starts at what positions and who rotates in based on varying situations?

I think the Rams will give Joyner another chance in the nickel back role, in competition with Gaines. I think that Gaines and Johnson battle for a corner spot opposite Jenkins.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Who the hell wouldn't wanna party in Brazil at the damn Pro-Bowl? Bring your condoms err, bring your wives....

RamzFanz

Damnit
"Who has more yards this season, Sam or Nick?"

"Sam"

I don't see it. Win or lose, TD or INT, I see Foles racking up yards with Britt, Bailey, Austin, Cook, and (hopefully) Quick. OF course, he needs an o-line so that's a wildcard at this point, but Foles will tear off some long throws and Britt and Quick can haul them in.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"Who has more yards this season, Sam or Nick?"

"Sam"

I don't see it. Win or lose, TD or INT, I see Foles racking up yards with Britt, Bailey, Austin, Cook, and (hopefully) Quick. OF course, he needs an o-line so that's a wildcard at this point, but Foles will tear off some long throws and Britt and Quick can haul them in.
Me thinks JT didn't like the trade...
ME Neither...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Won't Sam have to play most of the season to have a chance at the most yards?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Me thinks JT didn't like the trade...
ME Neither...

I would have been happy going into the season with Bradford but I wouldn't have passed on this trade myself. Foles is a nice fit for the Rams and the extra picks can be huge.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Massive shout out to Bobby "The Brain" Heenan from Jim there by using the term "ham and eggers". He's gone up in my estimation, nice one Jim

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I would have been happy going into the season with Bradford but I wouldn't have passed on this trade myself. Foles is a nice fit for the Rams and the extra picks can be huge.
Foles throws a mean deep ball, especially after play action...If the run game is dominant....maybe......

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
I can't stand this guy since the Foles Bradford trade. I pretty much never say this but, it wouldn't break my heart if the Post Dispatch fires his ass.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can't stand this guy since the Foles Bradford trade. I pretty much never say this but, it wouldn't break my heart if the Post Dispatch fires his ass.

Agreed. He just comes across as a guy who is going through the motions.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have media that cares about the team and actually writes fresh material on a regular basis about them. Half the articles I read are built around quotes up to a week or more old that say nothing new.

Here's an idea:

Sit down with Cigs and get into some discussion on his relationship with McCarthy, what his beliefs are with the WCO, why he believes in it, and how he expects it to help this offense finally take the next step to a playoff team. All sorts of questions possible here, from his fundamental differences with Schotty his predecessor to Foles and how his strengths are going to fit, to the holdover talents from Tavon to Mason to Cook.

Get a phone interview with McCarthy as a separate article or to addition to the above with some key questions regarding Cigs back in the days they worked together. Should be able to get his thoughts on him as an up and coming offensive mind in this league, and what we can expect from his friend now that he's got the reigns to the offense.

But of course that would require "giveafuck" and some rudimentary access to the team, neither of which he has.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow...If I was firing folks at the PD, Bernie M. and Gordo would top the list, in that order....Always thought JT was a straight journalist, and the only guy I can read anymore,EFF Bernie!.:hatin:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
JT admitting he just doesn't give a crap by taking this question and accepting it's premise:

What can we do to get Jim Thomas excited about talking about the Rams again?

Winning would be nice, for starters.

But it would take more than JUST winning. What does he want, a personal ass wash?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Jim Thomas - insert sad clown pic

image.jpg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Agreed. He just comes across as a guy who is going through the motions.

I can't imagine what it would be like to have media that cares about the team and actually writes fresh material on a regular basis about them. Half the articles I read are built around quotes up to a week or more old that say nothing new.

Here's an idea:

Sit down with Cigs and get into some discussion on his relationship with McCarthy, what his beliefs are with the WCO, why he believes in it, and how he expects it to help this offense finally take the next step to a playoff team. All sorts of questions possible here, from his fundamental differences with Schotty his predecessor to Foles and how his strengths are going to fit, to the holdover talents from Tavon to Mason to Cook.

Get a phone interview with McCarthy as a separate article or to addition to the above with some key questions regarding Cigs back in the days they worked together. Should be able to get his thoughts on him as an up and coming offensive mind in this league, and what we can expect from his friend now that he's got the reigns to the offense.

But of course that would require "giveafuck" and some rudimentary access to the team, neither of which he has.

1. JT has an editor who decides what stories get done. Just because he is the Rams beat writer doesn't mean he's the boss. We don't know what stories he would like to do.

2. Fisher decides who the OC talks to. Besides, hasn't the "meet the OC" articles been written already? We already know the answers to these questions from when he was hired. I'd much rather he worry about the relocation and the draft than tell us the OC wants to run the ball.

3. There's a good chance that the team may be gone after the year. Why would local media be enthusiastic about that?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
What happened to JT seriously?

I always respected what he said, because he wouldn't just say things without any evidence for it (i.e. he wouldn't throw excrement at a wall and see what sticks).

Right now he just seems angry, which really started after the Bradford/Foles trade. It's like the Bradford trade was personal or something

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I always respected what he said, because he wouldn't just say things without any evidence for it (i.e. he wouldn't throw excrement at a wall and see what sticks).

Right now he just seems angry, which really started after the Bradford/Foles trade. It's like the Bradford trade was personal or something

I think he is more upset about what he perceives as the HC lying to him. I don't think he was intentionally mislead, most think the Foles trade was fast developing. But I think JT either thinks outright or suspects Fisher made a fool of him intentionally. It's the only explanation why a reporter most have viewed for years as very professional would be this upset. I'm not as willing to judge as some as I wasn't there and HCs and reporters aren't exactly angels. So who knows.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1. JT has an editor who decides what stories get done. Just because he is the Rams beat writer doesn't mean he's the boss. We don't know what stories he would like to do.

2. Fisher decides who the OC talks to. Besides, hasn't the "meet the OC" articles been written already? We already know the answers to these questions from when he was hired. I'd much rather he worry about the relocation and the draft than tell us the OC wants to run the ball.

3. There's a good chance that the team may be gone after the year. Why would local media be enthusiastic about that?
Stop making sense... we have a campaign going on here!

I'm getting tired of defending a guy who has done a fine job of reporting the Rams for decades.

Disappointed.