Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/27/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
For a board that claims our reporters are sad and awful, we sure do pay a lot of attention to them. I don't understand why people just don't stop reading them.

Myself, he doesnt really bother me. I can't say I disagree with his pessimistic outlook involving the move. I can't say I disagree with his view on offensive stars either. Mason isn't a 1000 yard rusher yet, Austin has underachieved, our #1 WR IIRC hasn't ever caught 50 passes in a season, and Foles's 2014 wasn't even in the same stratosphere as 2013. That's not to say we don't have huge potential, because we do. That's not to say we don't have talent, because we have loads. But we don't have an actual, proven performer on offense. I don't see why JT pointing out that obvious fact is controversial. Zac Stacy can attest to the fact that potential and a promising season doesn't mean proven performer.

I think the move has removed the "homer" glasses off our media, and we're starting to see how things would be if we were in NY or Washington. The criticism, etc.

His pissiness over the Foles trade needs to stop though.

jjab360

Legend
For a board that claims our reporters are sad and awful, we sure do pay a lot of attention to them. I don't understand why people just don't stop reading them.

Myself, he doesnt really bother me. I can't say I disagree with his pessimistic outlook involving the move. I can't say I disagree with his view on offensive stars either. Mason isn't a 1000 yard rusher yet, Austin has underachieved, our #1 WR IIRC hasn't ever caught 50 passes in a season, and Foles's 2014 wasn't even in the same stratosphere as 2013. That's not to say we don't have huge potential, because we do. That's not to say we don't have talent, because we have loads. But we don't have an actual, proven performer on offense. I don't see why JT pointing out that obvious fact is controversial. Zac Stacy can attest to the fact that potential and a promising season doesn't mean proven performer.

I think the move has removed the "homer" glasses off our media, and we're starting to see how things would be if we were in NY or Washington. The criticism, etc.

His pissiness over the Foles trade needs to stop though.
He's allowed to have his pessimism same as anyone. But there's a way to sound pessimistic as a professional journalist and then there's a way to act like a teenage girl about it. Sadly, JT seems to be heading down the Bernie path right now.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
He's allowed to have his pessimism same as anyone. But there's a way to sound pessimistic as a professional journalist and then there's a way to act like a teenage girl about it. Sadly, JT seems to be heading down the Bernie path right now.

Yes he needs to back it down a bit as a beat reporter. The whining, not the criticism of the offense which has been not good for years.

Bernie is paid to act dramatic, it keeps fan boards humming and people reading. Apparently he is good at that job.

jjab360

Legend
Yes he needs to back it down a bit as a beat reporter. The whining, not the criticism of the offense which has been not good for years.
Almost all of the complaints about JT lately have been about the former and not the latter, not sure why you're emphasizing that so much..

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Almost all of the complaints about JT lately have been about the former and not the latter, not sure why you're emphasizing that so much..

I didn't realize I was emphasizing anything. There was some posts earlier in this thread disagreeing his assessment of the stars of this offense. I'm of the opinion the we have potential, not stars. So it's a topic in this thread, it's in JTs chat, it's not like I brought it up. If people are so displeased with JT stop reading him. As tiresome as it it is listening to him go on about the Foles trade, it's just as tiresome listening to the complaining about him and his colleagues anytime their assessment of the team is less than rosy. If I'm emphasizing anything it's that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That would be incorrect as he works for the Post Dispatch and they would just reassign him. He covered another part of the sports dept before the Rams came to St. Louis.

I hear that, but the newspaper industry is a shell of what it once was in 1995. There's no money in it anymore. I really question whether the Post-Dispatch has the money to keep him on without the Rams beat. I'd be shocked if he's not worried about money and or job security. I really feel for the guy.

FrankenRam

Starter
I hear that, but the newspaper industry is a shell of what it once was in 1995. There's no money in it anymore. I really question whether the Post-Dispatch has the money to keep him on without the Rams beat. I'd be shocked if he's not worried about money and or job security. I really feel for the guy.

IMO, the real question is.....How long will the PD survive? As an organization, it still seems to be stuck on the idea they can survive as a print media company.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I didn't realize I was emphasizing anything. There was some posts earlier in this thread disagreeing his assessment of the stars of this offense. I'm of the opinion the we have potential, not stars. So it's a topic in this thread, it's in JTs chat, it's not like I brought it up. If people are so displeased with JT stop reading him. As tiresome as it it is listening to him go on about the Foles trade, it's just as tiresome listening to the complaining about him and his colleagues anytime their assessment of the team is less than rosy. If I'm emphasizing anything it's that.
It's 100% fair and accurate to say that the offense needs to prove and that they have underachieved, partuclarly Austin. But Foles was a Pro Bowl MVP. Remember how Bulger fans held onto that one? It's gotta be worth something.

To say he isn't a star or at least pretty damn close? You'd just be lying to yourself. I'd evidence the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Philly fans and media and the national buzz if you put stock into that.

The others I might be reaching on, sure, but you say potato and I say budding star. It just pissed me off that the man is taking a paycheck to essentially say to fans 'Why even bother? I heard they have a foot out the door!'

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Boy I thought being a Ram fan in Boston sucked because I didn't get all the local coverage, but this guy sucks. Don't matter were we live he coverage is the same everywhere.

My wife can provide more information about the Rams than this guy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

We're open for alternative suggestions to anyone who writes about our team besides JT and Bernie. Bleacher Report maybe? Anytime their articles are posted the comments are similar. During the offseason there's not much to write about other than the beginning of free agency and the draft, so the PD reporters are pretty much it. Sigh...

Memphis Ram

Legend
That would be incorrect as he works for the Post Dispatch and they would just reassign him. He covered another part of the sports dept before the Rams came to St. Louis.

But, no one really knows if that option would still be available next year.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
We're open for alternative suggestions to anyone who writes about our team besides JT and Bernie. Bleacher Report maybe? Anytime their articles are posted the comments are similar. During the offseason there's not much to write about other than the beginning of free agency and the draft, so the PD reporters are pretty much it. Sigh...

There does seem to a lot of angst about the reporting on this team. I take a lot more exception to most of it being rumor mongering than I do JTs stuff. At least he won't print something he can't verify, and his speculation is advertised as such when he does speculate.

As for his tone and negativity, well he's a local reporter. He lives here. I imagine the "home town treatment" that the STL media is known for is going to come to a abrupt end, especially after the love fest at the owners meetings.

This is going be a tough year. I have a feeling no one is going to like what the media has to say about the Rams this year.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think older guys like JT will be safe, they've been around. The local guys that are new (Shane Gray for example) are more likely to find themselves on the chopping block if they haven't branched out to other topics.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Yeah, but he has tenure just like Bernie. Look at Bernie, for example. He's all over the place with the PD as they created even more work for him when he stepped down from his radio show a couple of years ago and they still have their online presence. I seriously doubt they will let go of Jim if the Rams leave town.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I read this as JT hates Stan....and whomever else is lying to him...he seemed a lil beat back...interesting tone....
Still don't see a move...drive by that site 2 times a week...

It's quite easy Gentlemen...JT is acting just like others act with a corporate restructure and the uncertainty the future holds. He's been covering the Rams for years even stated on one of his radio interviews that up until 2012 he used have a sit down with Kroenke every year.

In fact, he stated at the owner's meetings Kronke walked by him and actually said..."What's up Jimbo?" And before Thomas could get to him he was ushered away by Demoff. This might underscore the Demoff comment.

Personally I liked Thomas I concur with @Prime Time he's vanilla, however so James Taylor and I like James Taylor and vanilla is great when you add hot fudge and that is essentially free agency and the draft, but with the possible relocation and the Bradford Syndrome, it pushed Thomas over the edge and thus this has been the result.

MrMotes

Starter
You would be too if you knew your teaming is moving and you might have to find another job.

Honestly i feel bad for the guy. I like JT. He's been my primary source of Rams news for a really long time.

But he probably does need to suck it up a little...

Athos

Legend
God, I just wish I could call or write someone about this dude.
It's freaking pitiful. A grown adult man sobbing on his keyboard and taking it out on the team and fans like a teen-aged girl.
Certainly no star power on offense...
Not the Pro-Bowl QB with the 27-2 TD ration a year ago.
Not the back that racked up 900 yards in about a half a season.
Not the pint sized dynamo punt returner/receiver.

"The Rams seem to have taken the fun out of it for all of us, eh?"

Great. Thanks for that professional insight.

He's not exactly wrong. Austin hasn't done anything to warrant star power. Neither has Mason. And certainly no one on the offensive line.

But he does come across as a man child for sure.