Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/27/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are excerpted questions and answers. To read the entire chat click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_83?Page=0
Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/27/15

If Joe Barksdale signed else where, is the best tackle left available in the draft and not free agency?

There's really nothing left in free agency. So you'd be talking draft. And some of the top guys in the draft are Brandon Scherff, La'el Collins, Andrus Peat.
---------
Is Tim Barnes officially out?

No. He has an offer on the table from the Rams _ pretty sure it's a minimum offer _ but is shopping around.
--------
Being a rams fan from Iowa i'm not sure if St.Louis is a nfl city. You can come here in 2003 and make the case it was a amazing fan base possibly the loudest stadium in the league. I'm not sure what happened but currently the fanbase in St.Louis just isn't the same.

Here are the team's won-loss records since 2003: 8-8, 6-10, 8-8, 3-13, 2-14, 1-15, 7-9, 2-14, 7-8-1, 7-9. 6-10. It adds up to 57-118-1. Think that has anything to do with it? Now throw in an owner who refuses to engage the fans and the media? And add the looming prospect of a move.
--------
Fisher seems to enjoy spreading disinformation and misleading the fans on his plans. Is this a fair assessment?

On the Bradford-Foles trade, certainly.
---------
If the Bradford-Foles deal had gone down just a day or two earlier, do you think the Rams would still have this o-line dilemma? When Orlando Franklin, Mike Iupati, Bryan Bulaga and others were still available. The timing of the deal always seemed strange to me because the salary cap space couldn't be adequately used with most of the best players off the board. Next year the contract was up so the savings are only for one year. To get full value from the deal they needed to use the room this season.

The deal was done right at the start of the free agency period. It did not have a negative impact on the players you mentioned.
----------
6 different rookies outperformed all of the Rams WRs last year, I'm not sure a wash-rinse-repeat scenario, just because they re-signed Britt, makes sense. There is still not an elite receiver on the roster as of today.

Yeah, certainly seems like the Rams' timing was off a year ago as far the WR class was concerned. That probably wasn't the best draft to pass on taking one.
---------
what is the plan with the offesive line? Is Jake Long coming back, Barksdale reached a secret agreement? It looks as if there is a secret plan.

Don't believe Jake Long is coming back. I think there's a good chance Barksdale returns. Don't know what you're talking about when it comes to secret plan.
--------
Since you were at the owners meeting, can you explain the real reason why the NFL is leery of adding end zone cameras? Fans and even Belichick don't buy the excuse the NFL can't afford them.

I didn't pay a ton of attention to the league rules, since I was concentrating on Rams stuff. But yeah, it's hard to believe the league can't afford extra cameras.
---------
Jim has demmoff quit on stl is he only going because the Nfl tells him too?

No comment.
---------
Watching the market for CB's this off-season I am tempted to say that maybe drafting Trae Waynes would not be a bad idea. I want a WR and I know we need OL... I hate watching this offense... do we really want to watch them overpay Jenkins next winter? Unless of course they are in LA.

Good points. I don't know, I think they like what they have at corner.
-------
Besides having no winning seasons in 11 years, the Rams have had no STARs since Warner and Faulk. Which Rams player has the potential to become a Star in the NFL by national standards, if any?

Quinn and Donald seem to have the most star power. Really don't see anyone who fills that bill on the offensive side of the ball at this point.
--------
What happened with the FA center from the Raiders - no team is biting. Was his injury a bigger concern than most thought a few weeks ago? Rams out?

He's still out there. Don't think the torn labrum is that big a deal. Don't think the Rams are necessarily out of it.
--------
seems as if Rhaney has been mentioned a little asa potential starter at Center....the kid from Bama may have the rep but maybe the coaches liked what they saw from rhaney before the injury

Yeah, although it wasn't much, I do think the coaches liked what they saw from Rhaney before his injury. Jones would still be the favorite as starter, however, if no new moves are made at center.
--------
Rams are 50/1 to win the Super Bowl. What do you think of those odds? If the 2015 season were played 50 times, do you think the Rams could win it once?

Not really.
--------
Why haven't we heard about Pead being let go? What could Fisher & Co still possibly see in this guy? Talk about wasted cap space.

I know. I know. Fisher mentioned him at the coaches breakfast Wednesday. Said he's back out on the field doing work.
--------
Say we sign barksdale. And we draft a WR or another position in the first few rounds. Will the Rams oline that we have now then be enough for success?

They still need a starting center and starting guard.
--------
Tell us one fun fact we didn't know about the owners meeting, no matter how trivial.

When he walked by me at the league's Monday night party, Stan Kroenke gave me a, "Hey, Jimbo!" Which is how he used to address me in the old days, i.e., before he became controlling owner of the Rams.
--------
It seems like Fisher and Snead are content to leave 1 or 2 positions a year very susceptible to disaster, whether it be depth, youth or a lack of overall talent, almost like a built-in excuse just in case the season tanks.

They sure have some work to do on the O-line, that's for sure.
---------
Will the Rams have any sellouts this yr?

Doubt it. But remember, no blackouts in 2015. All games on TV.
--------
Do you think the rams would to move barksdale to G, similar to saffold? That's assuming he is re-signed.

Why not just keep him at RT.
--------
The same reason they didn't leave saffold at RT maybe?

Then who plays RT.
--------
Heard anything from tony sofli

Not really. I think he's back in Seattle.
--------
If Barrett Jones is the starter at C, GRob at LT and Saffold at RG, do you think Fisher would be prepared to start rookies at LG and RT or is it almost certain that a vet is brought in to start somewhere on the line?

Ideally, I think he'd want to have at least one of the other two starters be a vet.
---------
Do you think would the rams look at Matt Schaub If they could pick him up cheap

Doubt it.
---------
You don't seem to have much confidence in Barrett Jones as a starting center.

I don't know where you're getting that. But he does have next to no NFL experience, and an injury history.
---------
Any idea if the Rams are confident in Robinson to be able to accommodate a rookie starting inside him?

May not happen. Saffold could stay at LG.
---------
So the Cheattriots now are getting off that "Deflate Gate" incident scotch free since they won the SB? It seems that nobody say anything about it anymore . What's your take of this ?

Doesn't seem like the national writers are that interested in the story anymore.
---------
what was your favorite moment from last season?

Probably the Mountaineer punt return play with Bailey and Austin vs. Seattle.
---------
As they lack a decent OL, St. Louis QB's are fish in a barrel. If they (Rams) considered their FA's at that position not worth the dollars and the remaining FA's at that position are not palatable replacements, then the only option is thru the draft. Woe is me. 6 - 10 would look good.

Let's see what it looks like in early May after the draft, and after the bulk of free agency is done.
---------
Fischer is suppose to be an old school coach, right?
A ground and pound kinda guy?
How does an old school coach not put a premium on the o-line?
If lineman are so easy to replace why has our o-line been terrible for 10 years?
Football is won or lost at the line of scrimmage isn't it?

It has been an ongoing problem, hasn't it? Even before Fisher arrived.
---------
are the Rams going to sign a OL FA Barksdale, Blylock or WIz ?

Don't think they have enough money anymore for all three, but I think they'd like to end up with 2 of the 3.
----------
I live in Oregon and made it out about every other year from 2000 - 2012. It seemed like Budweiser was a massive sponsor of the Rams, and the Rams game day experience up until my last visit. Did Bud back off their sponsorship or was it just a fluke that they didn't seem as involved last time I was out.

I think they're still pretty heavily involved.
--------
Is it possible they will use Tim Barnes as starting center

If he re-signs, he could be in the mix.
---------
Any sense of whether Mo Alexander improved enough last year to start pressing for playing time this year or is he strictly STs again?

I think we're talking strictly special teams at least at the start of the season.
---------
Think the rams could look at RB sometime in the draft. Maybe replace stacy?

It's a good RB draft, and Fisher likes piling up RBs. However, he indicated at the NFC coaches breakfast that he felt good about what they had in the backfield.
--------
Actually, not hearing from Demoff, Kroenke and all of the other Ram non-football types is fine with me. I know there intentions and don't really care to be lied to anymore.

Yeah, it's crystal clear now, isn't it?
---------
Do you think McLeod is a legit starter or do you think they need to upgrade there?

After last year, I'd say yes, he's a legit starter. Not Earl Thomas, but a legit starter.
--------
Just wanted to say that you do a great job - this team can't be much fun to cover.....a chat at this time of year should be about the draft and looking ahead to the season - not about what the NFL is putting our fans through.....thanks again for your work!

Appreciate it. The Rams seem to have taken the fun out of it for all of us, eh?
--------
S.Wells , is he still in place for an emergency plan if Fisher could not addressed the Center spot by training camp ? Is that a possible he still starting ahead of B.Jones ?

I think the Scott Wells train has left the station.
--------
Jim why did they give up a pick for Keenum if they are going to draft a QB? They wont carry 4.

No. But it's only a seventh _ in 2016 _ for Keenum. And if Keenum beats out Davis it frees up $1.5M of cap space.
--------
Keenum Vs Davis , which one better , IYO ?

Need to see more. But right now I'd vote Davis.
--------
Any change that either J.Long or S.Well will come back for a much "friendlier" contract after all the dust had settled ?

Doubt it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim has demmoff quit on stl is he only going because the Nfl tells him too?

No comment.
Where did all of your bravado go, Jim? You can take Fisher to task publicly, but you can't comment on Demoff?

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
God, I just wish I could call or write someone about this dude.
It's fucking pitiful. A grown adult man sobbing on his keyboard and taking it out on the team and fans like a teen-aged girl.
Certainly no star power on offense...
Not the Pro-Bowl QB with the 27-2 TD ration a year ago.
Not the back that racked up 900 yards in about a half a season.
Not the pint sized dynamo punt returner/receiver.

"The Rams seem to have taken the fun out of it for all of us, eh?"

Great. Thanks for that professional insight.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

This is how I picture JT, whenever asked about Fisher's "alleged" deception.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am concerned about why this is, and if this same envirnment is going to impact the locker room.
Fisher won't allow it. He'll just lie to him again, and JT will spring a leak somewhere, until he leaks out.

Too far?

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That Jim Thomas is one sad, defeated, beaten down beat reporter...

I've been giving his predicament some thought lately as I do spend time reading through his chat each week. The only thing JT has over the average fan is his supposed inside knowledge of the Rams. Why else would we read his chat and his columns each week? That has been stripped from him. It turns out he has no more inside knowledge than the rest of us who do this for free.

This is probably why he's ticked off. In a way you can't blame him. I'm guessing this is what happened to Bernie who now has to resort to copy/paste statistics from pro football stat sites.

JT never seemed like a bad guy to me. Just a bit on the vanilla side. I'm surprised no one called him on his ongoing snit during this latest chat. Maybe they did but it never got included.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
You would be too if you knew your teaming is moving and you might have to find another job.
Jim himself has the odds at almost 50/50 that they will stay so I'm not so sure he's down because he thinks the team is moving. Secondly, he won't have to find another job as he works for the St. Louis Post Dispatch and they will just place him somewhere else if the Rams do move. He worked for the Post Dispatch well before the Rams moved here and was assigned as the team beat writer when they came.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Am I right in saying that JT might not have a job if the Rams leave?
That would be incorrect as he works for the Post Dispatch and they would just reassign him. He covered another part of the sports dept before the Rams came to St. Louis.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Tell us one fun fact we didn't know about the owners meeting, no matter how trivial.

When he walked by me at the league's Monday night party, Stan Kroenke gave me a, "Hey, Jimbo!" Which is how he used to address me in the old days, i.e., before he became controlling owner of the Rams.

You'll always be a part of me Jimbo

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I read this as JT hates Stan....and whomever else is lying to him...he seemed a lil beat back...interesting tone....
Still don't see a move...drive by that site 2 times a week...