Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/18/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember when Fisher was being probed about the Ferguson riots and what our players did when they came out of the tunnel. Seems like ever since then Fish seemed like he was at his witt's ends with the beat writers, I wonder if JT was one of the reporters to irritate him the most, just a thought...
The St. Louis media is child's play compared to cities like Philadelphia, NY, Boston.

Fisher has no idea how good he has it.

I can only imagine how he'd fare in those towns if he's offended by some innocuous questions from Jim Thomas.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
A lot of JT's articles read like they're written by a man who is only happy if there's something to complain about. He's not as bad as others but that's the sense I get from some of his stuff. On that basis I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The St. Louis media is child's play compared to cities like Philadelphia, NY, Boston.

Fisher has no idea how good he has it.

I can only imagine how he'd fare in those towns if he's offended by some innocuous questions from Jim Thomas.
What I meant is when he stressed he is a football coach and doesn't like mixing sports and politics and simply wanted to talk about the game and they just kept pushing for an explanation about Ferguson and as to why his player's raised their hands up, maybe if you want to be on the inside of certain things it might help to not piss the HC off.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I meant is when he stressed he is a football coach and doesn't like mixing sports and politics and simply wanted to talk about the game and they just kept pushing for an explanation about Ferguson and as to why his player's raised their hands up, maybe if you want to be on the inside of certain things it might help to not pee pee the HC off.
I hear ya.

But pressers are part of the HC job... one he gets paid handsomely for.

His players raised their hands... he was attached to that act, whether he liked it or not. And it was a very high profile issue at the time.

IMO, he should be pretty immune to multiple requests for responses... if all we got were subservient media types, we'd never get any real answers.

Thomas's job is to ask the tough questions... the questions his customer's would ask if they were up there. You think a lot of Rams fans weren't interested in Fisher's take on what happened?

I do.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of JT's articles read like they're written by a man who is only happy if there's something to complain about. He's not as bad as others but that's the sense I get from some of his stuff. On that basis I don't have a lot of sympathy for him.
I'm not sure I saw where Thomas asked for any sympathy.

In fact, when the questions kept coming in, he shut them down.

Boy, lots of venom for a guy just trying to do his job... which is, to try to get US - the fans - information we couldn't get.

Maybe no one from the media should attend Fisher's pressers... just let him tell us all how it is. And, I guess we can all ignore what comes out of his mouth?

Thomas was told one ting, then was never informed of the change. Did it happen fast? I'm sure it did.

But I believe there was enough time to make a quick call and let Thomas know... IF Fisher felt he wanted to cultivate that relationship... it appears he did not.

Thomas was upset over that and said so... didn't go on and on... didn't ask for sympathy... just stated his take and moved on.

Keep in mind... Thomas may be out of a job soon. Can't make life any easier.

Like I said before... tough crowd.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I hear ya.

His players raised their hands... he was attached to that act, whether he liked it or not. And it was a very high profile issue at the time.

IMO, he should be pretty immune to multiple requests for responses... if all we got were subservient media types, we'd never get any real answers.

Thomas's job is to ask the tough questions... the questions his customer's would ask if they were up there. You think a lot of Rams fans weren't interested in Fisher's take on what happened?

I do.
I completely agree with you but I guess if I was a reporter I would respect the coach when he says he doesn't want to discuss about Ferguson because no matter how you talk about it more than likely you're gonna be pissing someone off. So as a reporter ask questions about the sport in which you're covering not about the politics of what's going on outside the game.

jjab360

Legend
I hear ya.

I do.
The difference is JT only seems interested in his personal feelings about being misled, I'm pretty sure there's not many Rams who care about that. About how the trade went down, yes that's interesting, but Thomas keeps harping about how he was lied to or whatever. That shit's annoying.

ram007

Starter
Boy, local media is going to have a field day if Fisher doesn't win next season.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I completely agree with you but I guess if I was a reporter I would respect the coach when he says he doesn't want to discuss about Ferguson because no matter how you talk about it more than likely you're gonna be pissing someone off. So as a reporter ask questions about the sport in which you're covering not about the politics of what's going on outside the game.
So, I did not see the presser on that... did Thomas (only Thomas) keep asking the same questions over and over? Or, were there other reporters curious and asking similar questions?

And again, whether he liked it or not, when those players raised their hands, he got involved. Not fair, perhaps, but he's the boss.

Fisher can certainly shut them down... but most HCs answer the tough questions.... the uncomfortable questions.

A presser with nothing but softballs doesn't do much for me... I'd rather my reporters ask the tough questions.

I like to think I would.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think that Thomas just wants to sit at the cool kids table with Fisher, Snead, Kroenke, and apparently Al Michaels and Mike Silver. He sounds like a butthurt 14 year old girl, get over it guy, welcome to sports.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I guess I'm done trying to defend Thomas... the tsunami got me. :)

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
So, I did not see the presser on that... did Thomas (only Thomas) keep asking the same questions over and over? Or, were there other reporters curious and asking similar questions?

And again, whether he liked it or not, when those players raised their hands, he got involved. Not fair, perhaps, but he's the boss.

Fisher can certainly shut them down... but most HCs answer the tough questions.... the uncomfortable questions.

A presser with nothing but softballs doesn't do much for me... I'd rather my reporters ask the tough questions.

I like to think I would.
I'll see if I can find it, I believe it was the monday presser after the Raiders game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I guess I'm done trying to defend Thomas... the tsunami got me. :)

You gave it a good shot. (y)

Fisher and his crew shouldn't tip their hand when sensitive negotiations are going on even if it means that some in the media might feel betrayed.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

I like to think I would.
Lol go figure they removed it there is no press conference on monday after the raiders game, there is a monday presser for every other game but that one was taken down. You could just feel the hostility in the air just by watching the video, lol I found it amusing.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gave it a good shot. (y)

Fisher and his crew shouldn't tip their hand when sensitive negotiations are going on even if it means that some in the media might feel betrayed.
I agree.

Fisher shouldn't tell Thomas untl the deal is done... but, as soon as it is, wouldn't hurt to throw the guy a bone.

Again, it's relationships and it goes both ways... what's that old saying? The pen is mightier than the ...

Dammit, you dragged me back in!! :)

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol go figure they removed it there is no press conference on monday after the raiders game, there is a monday presser for every other game but that one was taken down. You could just feel the hostility in the air just by watching the video, lol I found it amusing.
Thanks for trying... it was probably Fisher that demanded it be taken down...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher shouldn't tell Thomas untl the deal is done... but, as soon as it is, wouldn't hurt to throw the guy a bone.

Agreed but then again we don't know what their relationship is like. Maybe Fisher hasn't liked some of JT's past comments and this is pay back. Hope JT doesn't turn into Bernie 2.0.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed but then again we don't know what their relationship is like. Maybe Fisher hasn't liked some of JT's past comments and this is pay back. Hope JT doesn't turn into Bernie 2.0.
Fair statement... maybe they're not "meant for each other". :)