Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 3/10/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This chat was done pre free-agency and before the Bradford/Foles trade. I only post it because it's amusing because of the surety of Thomas that Bradford would not be cut or traded. In his defense I didn't see Bradford being traded to the Eagles either but then again I don't have "inside sources." I guess he doesn't either.

"there's nothing to the Foles rumors. That's what I was told yesterday by someone in the organization."

"As I mentioned earlier, I've been told by someone I trust at Rams Parks that there's nothing to the Foles stuff."

If you want to read about relocation or the draft click the link.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_81?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

Do you think there is a chance that the Rams resign Jake Long at a reduced rate, or is his time in STL over?

It's possible. But I doubt it. He's a proud man, considered retiring after the latest injury, and would probably be asked to play right tackle.
--------
Any word on Pead getting cut? Why woulndn't they? And What are you hearing on Foles?

Nothing yet on Pead. I'm a little surprised he's still here as well. As for Foles, as was the case last January, there's nothing to the Foles rumors. That's what I was told yesterday by someone in the organization.

--------
What do you think the Rams will do in free agency this year? I dont see them making a big splash, but if they did who would you want?

Rams will focus mainly on re-signing their own. I think it will be a lot like last year in that sense. But I believe they will play the secondary market. I think they need to add help on the offensive line _ be it guard, tackle, or center. Center Stefen Wisniewski seems could be a fit, but could be too pricey.
---------
Do you see Barrett Jones as an everyday lineman this year? Possibly a right or left guard if not center?

As of right now, it looks like he might get a chance to start at center. Obviously, he needs to stay healthy.
----------
I'm concerned with the number of big pass plays we gave up last season. It seemed like we would play good defense for most of games but would invariably give up a long TD to a wide open receiver. Do the coaches think this will improve with people becoming more comfortable in Williams' system or does it come with the territory in a boom-or-bust, gambling style of defense?

Interesting question. Obviously, a second year in the Gregg Williams system should help. You'll have a secondary that's another year older. But in the case of someone such as Janoris Jenkins, you have to hope that he reaches the point _ maturity-wise _ where he quits taking gambles or taking chances that he doesn't have to make.
---------
as i sit here and write this I'm more pissed off now than last year when barret didn't get any playing time at C in the garbage portion of the year, especially with wells gone. Could have gotten some much needed experience and the coaches couldve got a read on him. Really makes me question fishes intellegence, seems common sense!

Agree or not, it was simply a case of a coach trying to win games with the players he thought gave him the best chance to win.
---------
Hi Jim, if Bradford won't restructure why don't the Rams just release him? They are a mediocre without him and have been mediocre with him. If you can save 12 million why not just use that money to strengthen the rest of the roster? Use a 2nd round pick and be mediocre to bad with say Hundley or Grayson or whoever and have a stout offensive line with the extra money from Bradford, Long, Wells and Langford. I mean it's not like Bradford is close to Brady, Manning, Brees or even the tier below those guys. I don't get it. He's a feeble average QB at best and obviously no one else wants him.

Obviously, the Rams still think he has the potential to be much more than "a feeble average QB at best."
---------
What do you think a reasonable contract number would be if Bradford was to accept a renegotiated contract?

Maybe $8 million or $9 million, with incentives that can help him recoup the paycut.
--------
Sam Bradford is due 13-mil this season. Yet he won't restructure his contract for less money. He can't live on less than 13 million? He has such a lavish lifestyle? C'mon! He reminds me of Latrell Sprewell when the New York Knicks offered him 21 million for one season which Sprewell refused because "he has a family to feed." What is wrong with this picture?

Those are questions that only Sam can answer.
--------
I understand and appreciate the Wells/Long cuts. How far along is Jake Long in his rehab and would he be a candidate for return at a reduced cap hit and position?

I believe it was Fisher at the NFL Scouting Combine who mentioned that Long had a little bit of a setback in rehab. I don't know how much, if any, that may have slowed his rehab. As I mentioned earlier, I'm doubtful that J. Long returns to St. Louis.
--------
Is there any sport where the coach/manager has as much say in the roster as pro football?

I don't know, I think it's pretty universal in major pro sports that the head coach/manager has a lot to say in the roster.
---------
losing confidence in Coach fisher , still very upset about week 1 loss to the Vikings , team was not very well prepared at the start of the season . My question is we are in year 4 , of the rebuild and not many wins to show for it . I believe if we are at 5 -5 or less its time to pull the trigger on the " Fisher " experience ! Like to hear your opinion thanks . London

Do you mean firing Fisher in the middle of the season if they're under .500 after 10 games as you suggest. Can't see that happening. Stan Kroenke really likes Fisher.
----------
How long before Barksdale, Kendricks, Britt are signed by any team?

Given the lack of offensive tackles on the market, I think logic says Barksdale. But I haven't heard one word of another team looking at Barksdale. (Sometimes it works that way). I've heard Atlanta and New England as possibilities on Kendricks, but again, it's been kind of quiet on him as well. And somewhat surprisingly, I think Britt might get some play as another team's backup option. I say "surprisingly" because after all Britt's been through in his life and career, St. Louis seems like a no-brainer.
----------
QB Austin Davis' performance dropped once teams "figured him out." Any chance Davis can figure out NFL defenses so that he can compete for back-up or starter, this season?

I think there's certainly that possibility. He improved a lot last year; is he capable of making another big jump or two? A lot of it has to do with keeping his eyes downfield and not looking at the pass rush.
--------
If you were to make the proverbial Frank Cusamano milk shake bet on who will be the Rams starting QB in 2015 who would you pick: S. Bradford, A. Davis, S. Hill, or to be determined?

Bradford.
--------
How confident were the Rams that Bradford would restructure? Sounds to me like they almost were taking it for granted that he would...and I'll admit that I was too...foolishly it would appear to be.

When it comes to contracts, I don't think Kevin Demoff takes anything for granted. And despite the current stalemate, it can still be done.
----------
How are things progressing with Wisniewski? Does Rhaney or B Jones have the ability to start at C and G?

As of this morning, Rams had not contacted Wisniewski since the Scott Wells release. I think a healthy Jones has the ability to start. Doubt it on Rhaney in 2015.
---------
Any update on SB renegotiations, and do you have a feeling Rams will add significant OLine FA or two soon? How do you view Blalock? Another Joseph?

Nothing new on Bradford talks. I think Blalock has more in the tank that Joseph.
---------
I take it Rams aren't looking to make much free agency noise. It doesn't even sound like a forgone conclusion that they'll sign their own free agents. Any idea where they'll use their money?

It depends on how many of their four "big' free agents they get back: Barksdale, Britt, Kendricks, and Hill. I think they need to look at o-line help with or without Barksdale back. Without Britt, Kendricks, or Hill back they obviously could change gears and look for replacement players at those positions. I think OLB is a possibility as well.
--------
Do you think the safety position is settled for 2015 or is adding a FS either to start or for depth under consideration?

Think the Rams in decent shape at FS. Joyner, after all, could back up McLeod.
---------
Can the Rams afford to sign both Barksdale & the Oakland center?

At the right price, sure.
---------
Saw your tweet about Stefan Wisiwhateverhislastnameis. Do you see the Rams as legitimate contenders to get him and any word on other guys they may be targeting outside of the guard from the Falcons.

Too early to tell on Wiz. My early read is that he may be too pricey for the Rams? Not sure on other potential targets at this point.
--------
You have said you think Steven Jackson could be done. Why is that? He is not a 25 carries a game guy but I still feel he can play in this league.

On Steven Jackson. 1.) He turns 32 in July. 2.) He has had more than 3,200 touches in his career. 3.) his yards per carry have dipped to 3.5 and 3.7 the past couple of years.
---------
Your thoughts on Sam restructuring to help Rams cap issues. If not do they release him and where do they go for QB.

I don't think they release him.
---------
What do you make of the rumors that the Rams are interested in trading for Nick Foles?

As I mentioned earlier, I've been told by someone I trust at Rams Parks that there's nothing to the Foles stuff.
---------
It's the first day of NFL free agency, and the Rams seem content to sit on their hands and let other teams take the better players, so that the Rams can scoop up the players that nobody wants. If I recall correctly, that is how we ended up with Davin Joseph last year. At this point, we apparently have two offensive linemen that Fisher & Co. believe are capable of starting in the NFL - Robinson and Saffold.

How many of our O-line vacancies do you think it is reasonable to expect to fill through the draft with starters who will make an impact and allow Fisher to run his preferred ground attack in 2015? My guess is one, the first round pick, as I see the second rounder going towards a quarterback, and the third rounder will need some seasoning on the bench before becoming a contributor, but I would like to hear your take on this.

The scenario that probably makes the most sense is for the Rams to get at least one O-line starter through the draft, and one through free agency. But that draft pick starter could come from the third round, don't think that's too unusual.
--------
When Fisher said the person who was going to challenge Bradford in 2015 was "not in the building" has Hill and Davis just walked out into the parking lot?

Funny. No, I'm looking out at the parking lot now and don't see anyone.
--------
How is this going to all shake out with Bradford, are the Rams going to wait until the last possible moment to release him so that the market is not as robust. And when is the lat possible moment?

If the Rams wanted to play extreme hardball, they would wait until, say, Labor Day weekend.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Well, I'd say that source is considerably less trusted today.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Well with Fisher and Snead lying to everyone during the combine I tend to think they were told to keep this one under wraps.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Well with Fisher and Snead lying to everyone during the combine I tend to think they were told to keep this one under wraps.

Yeah. I don't know about anyone else but it doesn't bother me a bit when we're lied to. It's all part of the game behind the game......