Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 2/10/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Rams chat with Jim Thomas

To read the entire chat click the link below.

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_77?Page=0

To read about relocation and stadium issues click the link below.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/new-latest-on-kroenke-rams-and-nfl-in-stl.34352/page-67

Do you think we are likely to see much change in our offensive schemes and play calling under the new OC? Any chance he gets Tavon more involved?

I think the overall philosophy will be pretty the same. Obviously that includes doing what the do better. Much better. And I think part of that plan would be more effective use of Tavon Austin.
----------
Suppose Sam declines to restructure, what would YOU do if you were Snisher?

Tough question. If you don't really have an option you've just got to pay him the $13 million base salary.
---------
How much better is Austin than Az Hakim? Have you compared their stats?

I don't know if you can say Austin is better than Hakim at this time. Hakim scored a lot of touchdowns in '99
--------
I wouldn't be surprised if Sam does decline to restructure, because the Rams have painted themselves into a real corner with almost no options. Your thoughts?

Bradford and his agent have leverage. They can say play me under my current contract or trade me or cut me. But the Rams can also play hardball by hanging onto Bradford until as late as early September (before his base salary becomes guaranteed) but after most teams have spent most of their money and most of the league already has filled its QB options.
----------
With Wells most likely to be cut, do you see them rams going into FA to find a starting Center or the draft?

I'm not ready to go that far at this point _ in other words to say Wells most likely will be cut. But I'm sure you explore both options. I don't think it's a great draft for centers, and in general Fisher likes veterans on the line. That would seem to be especially true at center where you're responsible for line calls. So that may tip the scales towards signing a free agent there. Or maybe the Rams think Barrett Jones or Tim Barnes are ready to move in and start.
---------
Hey Jim, saw your article on the cap space and some options Rams have. What order would you put them in most likely to be cut: J Long, Langford, Wells?

Hard to predict. They could all three end up being just restructured deals (at lesser salaries).
----------
I have been skeptical of a Bradford comeback from the re-torn ACL. However, I recently read that the skier Lindsey Vonn made her comeback this year after re-tearing her ACL. This gives me some hope for No. 8.

Yeah, and there's always the case of Thomas Davis, the linebacker from Carolina (and winner of the NFL's Walter Payton man of the year award). I think he tore the same ACL 3 times.
---------
Curious about Saffold. Began at RG, moved to LG after Longs injury. Do you see the rams leaving him at LG, move back to RG, or even back to RT?

I think he stays at guard, although I can't tell you for sure if the Rams like him better at LG or RG. I do remember, that when he first started playing guard in 2013, he was at RG. I do know that the Rams once felt he was most effective at guard, followed by LT at No. 2, and RT at No. 3.
---------
What are the odds the Rams go back to the classic blue and yellows for home and away next year? (further instigating fear into the hearts of rams fans everywhere)

They can't change the uniform colors overnight like that. The league needs lead time. So it won't be next year.
----------
Jim, what % chance would you give of Bradford as the starting QB in Sept ?

Right now, I'm going to say 60-40.
----------
I was surprised at the success of New England's dink and dunk passing game versus the Seahawks. Do you think any of the Seahawks competitors were paying attention, particularly in the Lou?

New England does dink-and-dunk with regularity. But even with the Seattle secondary so banged up _ moreso than any of us knew before the game _ I'm sure there are things to be learned from that game.
-----------
How much truth or accuracy do you think there is to the Foles discussion? I think Bradford, Foles and a draftee would be a pretty good QB roster.

I've addressed this before, but Rams official told me speculation about Foles is bull excrement.
----------
Are they considering any other FA QB? I just think they need to get a back-up that's better than Davis or Hill and they HAVE to draft one this year!!

I'm sure they're studying the list of FA quarterbacks. Who on there do you like better than Hill or Davis?
---------
Is the Rams Defense in 2015 a top 10 in the 2nd year of G Williams ?

I certainly think it can be. The key, once again, is overall consistency and the play of the secondary.
---------
could Jake Long play guard?

They believe he can.
----------
Jim I know nothing has to be done yet but why don't the Rams ever seem to be in a hurry when resigning FA's or more importantly restructuring SB?

They re-signed Robert Quinn in Sept. and Johnny Hekker in December. Is that fast enough for you?
----------
Jim do you anticipate us fans missing Schotty or rejoicing over the new guy during the season?

With a healthy Bradford I think it will be the latter.
---------
What is the salary cap situation with Jared Cook? Seems like a lot of money - $8.3 mil - for a TE who does not block well and drops too many passes. I would like to see them resign Kendricks, cut Cook and have Alex Bayer be the replacement. Bayer may not block any better, but he has shown he can catch passes. If they waited until end of July to cut Cook, what would be the impact to the Cap? How do you see the TE situation? Harkey is a keeper.

Cook's salary is the price of delving into the free agent market. You almost always overpay, particularly if you sign someone in the first few days of free agency. Cutting him this year isn't going to happen because $5 million of his $7 million contract is guaranteed.
--------
Zac Stacy is not getting any love, but in reality isn’t he just an injury to Mason from being the No. 1 running back. Cunningham is a good 3rd down back. Who would you see as the primary back if Mason goes down?

No, it's still possible Cunningham would be the feature back in that situation.
---------
I think Bradford is our best option if he restructures his contract... what would you like to see with our receiving core if that gets done should we go after one in FA our stay with our WR we have now?

Again, if the Rams re-sign Britt I don't think they make any other moves at WR.
----------
Say Bradford comes back healthy and plays a full 16 games. What type of season would you realistically expect from him?

Well before his injury midway through the 2013 season, he had a passer rating of above 90, and I believe 14 TDs and 4 INTs.
--------
It seems to me that the Rams could use Tavon the same way NE used Vereen. They ran that over and over, and it worked. Tavon has more break away potential. I hope the Rams use that next year vs. the SeaSlugs!

Rams need to block those plays better as well. To me that was a much a problem on those quick sideline plays as anything Austin did or didn't do _ if not more.
---------
When is the official announcement of Cignetti and Boras new coaching positions? Any word on new QB and TE coaches?

I'm told it could be Wednesday or Thursday. Not sure if there will necessarily be new QB and TE coaches. (Possible that Boras or Cignetti could still retain their old jobs.)
--------
If you were the GM, what would you do about the Rams Free Agents for cap space?

I think I'd try to lower the base salaries of Jake Long, Kendall Langford, Sam Bradford. Not sure what I'd do with Wells at this point. I'd cut Pead. Hang on to Givens for a while, just to see what happens to Britt and in the draft. Keep in mind, Robert Quinn is due a huge roster bonus. If you were in a cap pinch you could always convert the roster bonus to signing bonus to save cap space. (The entire roster bonus counts on that year's cap; a signing bonus can be spread out _ or amortized _ over the remaining years of a contract for cap purposes.)
---------
I assume the Rams would reach a little for QB. Assuming there's no QB available that qualifies for even a big reach, is there any other position that you think they should consider reach-worthy?

I don't think so. If you don't get the upper-tier offensive linemen, I hear there is pretty good depth on the o-line in the second and third rounds so you could still get a pretty good prospect there.
---------
Are Fisher/Snead heads on the block this year?

Obviously, that's Stan's call, and a part of me can't see Stan paying off even a year of Fisher's contract. Still, I think they certainly have to be under some pressure with another 6-10 or 7-9.
---------
I know it's way early in the offseason - but do you think it's possible (and wise) for the R Rams to sign both a C (either the guy from KC or the one from Oakland) AND a G - like the one from SF?

Keep in mind, players such as Barron, Brockers, Dunbar, Hayes, Jenkins, Johnson, Quick, Sims, Zuerlein all have contracts that expire at the end of 2015. So the Rams have to keep some money aside to sign some of those players. As opposed to signing outside free agents. So that makes me wonder if they could to C AND G as you suggest.
----------
JT, from a beatwriter's standpoint ... who was/is your favorite Ram to cover in terms of media cooperation and insightful quotes? And on the other end, who was the most "difficult" Ram? Other than Alberto White, of course.

Lots on the easy and insightful to cover list, and I'm sure I'm going to leave many names out: Toby Wright, Tony Banks, Leonard Little, D'Marco Farr, Todd Lyght, Keith Lyle, Kurt Warner, James Laurinaitis, William Hayes, Chris Long, Rodger Saffold, Steven Jackson. On the flip side: Lawrence Phillips was easily the worst. Marshall Faulk was no picnic, although when he was in the mood he could be outstanding.
----------
If the coaches love Jenkins so much, can they coach him then? I know that sounds flip but the guy get's burned constantly. Just doesn't seem to have the discipline and do the film study, relies too much on his athleticism. Given how heavy we went in the 2014 draft for defensive backfield last year, is he really this important in the Rams plans?

I would think Jenkins would've outgrown some of his bad habits by now. I don't know if that's attributable to coaching issues or Jenkins simply not maturing. I tend to think it's the latter. This is a contract year for Jenkins, so if he doesn't improve this year in terms of those habits, it's probably never going to happen.
----------
Assuming any of the big name WRs (Bryant, Thomas, Cobb) hit the market will the Rams be players? Could you see them kicking the tires on Welker?

Can't see Welker. I think we've seen the best of him.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Welker is likely going to retire.

452988313.0.jpg

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
"Not sure what I'd do with Wells at this point. "

I thought about posting a gif ("O RLY?", "don't let the door hit you", "good riddance" with middle finger extended)... See here, any pretty much apply.

but instead I'm just gonna ask, is Thomas related to Wells or something? Because I'm pretty sure most anyone that watched the Rams knows what they'd do with Wells at this point...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welker is likely going to retire.

452988313.0.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/wes-welker-weighs-walking-away/

Wes Welker weighs walking away
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 10, 2015

300x-153.jpg
Getty Images

Wes Welker may be ready to call it a career.

Welker, the Broncos receiver who’s set to become a free agent next month, has told friends and family members that he might retire, according to Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports.

That’s not a big surprise. Welker is coming off a season in which he had just 49 catches for 464 yards, his lowest numbers since he was a backup for the Dolphins in 2005. The 33-year-old Welker’s best days appear to be behind him, and realistically, he probably wouldn’t get a lot of money in free agency. Welker’s concussion history may also be looming over his decision about his future.

Welker said after the Broncos’ playoff loss to the Colts that he wasn’t sure he’d be back in Denver, and now it seems that he’s not sure if he’ll be back in the NFL, period.

If Welker is done, the record will reflect that he led the league in catches three times and finished with 890 catches for 9,822 yards and 50 touchdowns.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams see Jake Long as a possible Guard, this sounded like first hand knowledge to me. Could be interesting, if he can get and stay healthy.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Rams see Jake Long as a possible Guard, this sounded like first hand knowledge to me. Could be interesting, if he can get and stay healthy.

That's actually been something JT has said numerous times since the end of the year. It makes me think that if JL rehabs well and restructures, he's coming back as a G. Not sure how I feel about that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
That's actually been something JT has said numerous times since the end of the year. It makes me think that if JL rehabs well and restructures, he's coming back as a G. Not sure how I feel about that.
I've heard him say it too, and there has been several discussions here, but the way he just said it, seemed more definite. I don't really know how I feel either, but if he can play at a high level, he could be a game changer for us.

I'll add, not that I'd want to completely rely on him. Not that different than Bradford.

WestCoastRam

Legend
BTW, JT did speak to leverage with Bradford. I've always felt that Bradford's leverage is overstated because the Rams can hold on to him into the season. It's why I think both sides will come to an agreement. The Rams will probably pay him a little more than they'd like and Sam will definitely take a chop in his salary this year.