Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/8/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers from the chat. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_93b5e5390ba0?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

Do you see any way at all that the Rams have a high caliber QB under center next year? I'm assuming that QB is not on the roster now.

Sure. Obviously, finding one is easier said then done. And obviously there are a lot of things in flux right now as well.
-------
Why not give Mannion at least some reps? They say he's not ready. Have Foles or Keenum looked "ready" at all this year? What's the worse that could happen? At least see if he's worth building on.

I understand your desire to see Mannion play. But even if he started Sunday, and he's not, would 4 games be enough to tell if he's worth hanging onto? Fisher is still trying to win games _ for obvious reasons. And he's trying to play the guys that give him the best chance to win.
--------
To be clear is Cignetti still on the payroll and doing other things or is he fired and yer outta here?

He's still on the payroll _ that's what happens when coaches get fired. Their contracts get paid off unless they quit. But no, he's not in the building doing other things.
--------
Any interest in the Patriots trading for Welker?

The trading deadline is past for this season. So the Rams would have to release Welker in order for the Patriots to have a chance at him.
--------
The Rams website is showing the game against Detroit as Fan Appreciation Day, which is normally the last game. Are they not expecting people to show up for the Tampa game?

I am unaware that the Detroit game is fan appreciation day. If that's the case, the Rams haven't done a very good job of getting the word out.
-------
If Payton is let go by N.O. do we take a look at him

Kroenke does have a track record of hiring experienced coaches.
-------
Why change quarterbacks now Foles was brought in for that purpose. This new OC. What's the difference between him and the other.

Just like any other position, you change the QB and try something else if you don't think he's getting the job done. Pretty basic stuff, don't you think? As for the difference between Cignetti and Boras, we'll have to see. Boras has been a very low-profile coach here. But It's not like there will be a radical change in approach over these last 4 games.
--------
Miles Austin was let go. Do the rams take a peek.

Perhaps, if you're thinking about next year. But with just 4 weeks left in 2015, it's not like he's going to do much good this year. By the time he learns the playbook, the season will be over.
--------
What do you think the rams target at the draft? O line or a WR?

Since the Rams drafted 5 offensive linemen last season (including the supplemental draft) I can't see them going heavily there, unless there's a left tackle or center they really like. Fisher doesn't like drafting WRs high _ Tavon Austin at No. 8 overall notwithstanding.

Maybe there's a QB they like. And what happens if they have major defections in the secondary? They have four starters there scheduled for free agency at the end of this season (that's if you include Mark Barron, who's basically playing LB these days.)
---------
There's a lot of noise about moving Robinson to guard. What do you think?

Haven't heard any noise here at Rams Park.
--------
Just how bad is the Mighty Quinn hurt? First it was reported as knee, then back, then hip, NOW who knows? Any insight on what exactly is going on with him? Backs & hips can kill careers so its got me concerned long term.

I wrote about this some in my story on the declining Rams defense Sunday. The back is the biggest issue, with Quinn and backs aren't something you get over quickly. I think it's possible the team shuts him down for the year. www.stltoday.com
-------
Who on the current starting defense do you believe will not be back next year?

Oh, we're playing that game. Well, you have unrestricted free agents McLeod, Johnson, Jenkins, and Barron among the starters. You have to wonder about Long as well, who's under contract next season but is due a roster bonus.
--------
Were you surprised at how easily the Cardinals moved the ball against the Rams last Sunday? It looked to me like the Rams were just going through the motions and the Cardinals rubbed their faces into the dirt. I can't see them winning another game this year, can you?

Yeah the Cardinals did gain a lot of yards Sunday, the third-highest total gained against the Rams since the team moved to St. Louis in 1995. But I definitely don't think it was because the team was going through the motions. Despite all those yards it was just 10-3 midway through the third quarter. With any kind of an offense, the Rams might have been able to make a game of it. It is difficult to see the Rams winning another this season.
---------
How would you fix this mess?

I'm not a big advocate of this normally, but I would say blow it up.
--------
The Wildcat plays are desperate but fun to watch. Wouldnt it be smarter for Austin to be in the cat instead of TG III?

Yeah, that would be interesting. As you know, the Rams have had some plays with Austin in the backfield before (w/a QB), and they've been fairly effective.
---------
I know you're old school and it isn't August. Last year at this time, you were old school and it wasn't August, and you were against playing Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes. Instead, we went into 2015 thinking we might have a couple of outstanding offensive linemen there. How's that working out for us?

And so playing Rhaney at center for 4 games at the end of this season will provide a definitive answer on whether he can play in this league? Get real. Just like playing Tim Barnes late in the 2013 season for 4 starts did? This isn't training camp. It's the regular season. You play the guys you think give you the best chance to win. If you think Rhaney gives you the best chance, play him. But if you don't, you don't play him. Plain and simple.
-------
With Cignetti getting fired and rumors that same could be for Snead at end of year, one would think that Fisher is admitting failure in his decisions and agreeing for change for an extension. Can't imagine the will have him coach out his last year of contract. Why would any FA sign here beyond over paying them?

So what you're telling me then is that you see some re-arranging of chairs on the decks of the Titanic?
--------
What QBs that are out there or may be out there do you think we should take a chance with?

The top QBs currently scheduled for free agency: Sam Bradford, Chase Daniel, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler.
--------
Can you think of one position on offense (other than running back) that does need to be upgraded? I cannot. I think Havenstein is average, but average would indicate the need for upgrade right?

It certainly looks like a lot of work needs to be done to fix the offense. More than a cosmetic make over. I don't think the Rams are simply going to give up on all the young O-linemen they just drafted, so they may not be a huge area of need. But you certainly have to think about QB, WR, and TE
--------
Question somebody should've asked Fisher at the presser: "No doubt whomever put all the rookies on the offensive line, traded for Foles, kept Kennum for Davis, should be fired. Was Cignetti the culprit?"

I don't see how you can look at the situation and not see a certain amount of scapegoating.
--------
JT, percentage the rams have a new coach next year.

At this point, I'll say 40-60.
--------
How about Ken Whisenhunt as an offensive coordinator? Didn't he preside over the Steelers offense when they were run oriented and then was flexible enough to let Kurt Warner go pass happy with the Cardinals? The NFL is loaded with ex head coaches who are now cooridinators. Is there any connection between Fisher and Wiz now?

I guess that's possible, but Whisenhunt has gotten a reputation of being stubborn and hard to work for _ in both Arizona and Tennessee.
---------
I can't figure out how Foles got so much worse fro m 2013 to 2014 to 2015. Is it offensive line, pass protection? Receivers? Hit by a bus and forgot how to play quarterback? Can you shed any light on this?

There obviously are issues around him _ on the O-line and at WR/TE. But he's missing badly on a lot of throws, and simply not seeing other open receivers. Those issues have nothing to do with his supporting cast. I think it was a given that there would be something of an adjustment period as Foles learned a new offense and got used to being under center (at least part of the time) again. But nobody saw this coming.
--------
After Fishers sunday press conference did you get a good sense that he's lost a lost soul and maybe its time to call it quits? or is he just too arrogant.

Bewildered by all this? Yes. A lost soul? No.
---------
How many FA's on the D are looking for greener pastures at the end of the season?

The only one I can speak on is Janoris Jenkins, who told me several weeks back he intended to "bet on himself" and test the market.
---------
Your compadre, Mr. Gordon, wrote today what I was thinking Sunday, that the Rams look like they did under Spagnolo, 4 years, a ton of top draft choices, and no improvement. Given that, how can anyone justify giving Fisher another year?

Yeah, it looks pretty much as bad as it ever has. And if that continues over the final four games, I don't know how you can justify it.
--------
How much does the Rams inexperienced OL play into their rotten record and shoddy execution?

Of course, it's a factor. And it became a bigger factor with the injuries to Brown and Havenstein, and to a lesser degree Donnal and Williams. But as I've mentioned elsewhere here today, there are also dropped passes, bad passes, receivers who aren't getting open enough, and a QB who's not always seeing them when they are open. At the end of the day, it's very hard to win in this league without at least decent QB play.
---------
When the head ball coach is out of answers; it presents the question: why is he still the head ball coach? It seems with the defensive personnel on the roster that we should think about letting Fisher go and bring in a solid offensive mind like Hue Jackson to fix the offense and move this bus forward. He has experience as a HC (and endured the turmoil that is the Raiders) and is a good and proven fixer on offense. Thoughts?

Hue Jackson is a pretty good coach.
--------
Is Greg Robinson another number 2 overall pick washout like Jason Smith? It seems like a number 2 pick should not have as many holding penalties as he does. He also has issues with false starts although he is not yet at the Alex Barron level yet. I know Fisher has a run first offense, but in a passing league like the NFL you might think Fisher could see that the elite teams that make the playoffs every year have a cornerstone QB which the Rams thought they had in Sam Bradford, but that fizzled out too.

I've said this before on this chat, and I'll say it again. I'm far from ready to label Greg Robinson a bust at this point.
--------
I am disappointed Fisher may stay next year as HC of this team. This team needs a new QB, upgrades on some OL positions, find a #1 WR, a slot WR and atleast one TE and possibly a fullback. A new offensive coordinator means new terminology too. For all this to come together in one off season is not likely. And Fisher is not good finding offensice talent either.

This means another losing season in 2016 before the defensive talent is wasted. Based on this, doesn't it makes sense to fire Fisher right away and get a new head coach and retool in 2016? Continuity for the sake of continuity is bad and Fisher should go. Thoughts?

You need to talk to Stan Kroenke on this one. . . .And good luck with that. But I agree with your central point, it just doesn't look like it's working with Fisher. Can four weeks change that impression? We're about to find out.
---------
while I am elated to once again get the opportunity to see my beloved RAMS play in the UK next year, I am somewhat disappointed it is yet again a home game which is sacrificed for this pocket lining cause of the NFL. Do you read anything in to this decision?

Also, of the Rams first 5 picks in the 2016 draft (2 of which are 2nd Rnd'rs) How many of those 5 do you see being Offensive players given our woe's on that side of the ball. I'll actually be pretty miffed if we pick any defensive players period.

Not sure what to read into the London decision. As for going offense in the draft, while a agree that the offense needs a major makeover, you have to keep in mind there are a ton of pending free agents on the defensive side of the ball: Hayes, Sims, Barron, McLeod, Jenkins, and Johnson among them. So the equation could change based on who's back and who goes among that group.
----------
A question and a comment: how, under any scenario, does Snead stay on if Fisher is fired? Also, we can all feel bad for Cignetti being the fall guy for Fisher/Snead but honestly he never would have been an OC on any other team except for the control monster, Fisher.

Yeah, it's hard to see Snead staying if Fisher goes.
---------
Are the Rams still the youngest team in the NFL this year? It seems like they bragged about this fact in past years, but with the problems with the offensive line this year and the offense in general, somebody might say "hey let's get some veterans who can guide the rookies to maturity". The veterans that Fisher has surrounded himself with ie - Jared Cook, Kenny Britt, Nick Foles - seem incapable of doing this.

I believe they opened the season as the youngest team in the league once again. They have only three players on the roster age 30 or older: Chris Long, William Hayes, and Wes Welker. And I do agree, there definitely is a leadership void on offense.
--------
How about the Rams go after Chase Daniel as he is an UFA? Due to Foles contract you have to bring him back. Then we draft another QB. Go into camp next year with Foles Daniel Mannion and draftee. Oh and bring in the best QB coach you can find to get Foles head on straight

Daniel would be intriguing, but it's not like he has gotten a lot of playing time over the years. So he would definitely be a projection-type pickup.
--------
Do you feel the Cignetti move was one of desperation by fisher and snead or do you think stanley put some heat on..

I wouldn't rule out any of what you're saying.
---------
On other teams you see the players holding each other accountable for missed assignments, dropped passes, penalties (You know the stuff good teams don't do). What player on the Rams do you see as that person? Because I don't see a good candidate on this team and these mistakes are all things the Rams do over and over again.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe there's a leadership void on offense.
--------
Gurley getting 9 touches last game? Why does he come out on third downs? Is Cunningham a better receiver than Gurley? I doubt that, but we don't really know because rarely does Gurley have a pass thrown his way. Why? Or is it solely due to pass-blocking?

I think some of it has to do with pass-blocking. Cunningham is very good at that. But Gurley isn't bad. Although the score got out of hand in the second half, I am a little surprised that Gurley didn't get more carries. I'd like to see him thrown to more often as well.
---------
What's happened to our D?

Here's a link to a Sunday story I wrote on that topic: www.stltoday.com
---------
CB Cary Williams was released by Seattle. DO we take a look?

I would particularly w/the current injury situation at cornerback.
---------
Jim, as beat writer you don't get to see all 32 teams, but is the best you have seen this year?

The best team I've seen in person? Arizona.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Boy, JT sure is smelling blood in the water with Fisher. He's enjoying the pile-on, still butthurt about being kept out of the loop on the trade.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
How would you fix this mess?

I'm not a big advocate of this normally, but I would say blow it up.
As condescending and indirect as I usually find him he was actually somewhat candid in a couple of his answers.