Rams Chat With Jim Thomas: 12/23/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_69?Page=0

These are only excerpts of questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link.
Hi Jim, is it just me or is anyone else wondering what the Ram’s defense worked on in practice all week? ODB has been the talk of the league for the past 6 weeks and we still had no answer.

It looked like they gave Beckham Jr. no extra attention as far as I can see. They played very soft coverage most of the day _ with CBs well back from the WRs on most plays. And they had several busted coverages. The communication was awful much of the day.
----------
At what point does the Head Coach start taking responsibility for the myriad of stupid penalty after stupid penalty? While having a young team, using that as an excuse no longer holds water with me. It's the difference between winning a game or losing a game and we have lost a few due to stupid penalties.

Fisher said it would take one meeting to fix the penalty problem. (His remarks came after a 21-penalty outing in the 2013 season finale vs. Seattle.) Doesn't look like anything's changed.
----------
Next year with the upgrade needed on the offensive line, (center and guards) we thought that Roger Saffold would do well at guard, your thoughts on his play, with all that do you see him moving back to RT if Barksdale is not retained.

I think Saffold has played well at guard. Maybe not as eye-opening as last year, but still very solid. It's clear the shoulder has bothered him some this year; he hasn't been as powerful. Don't know if Saffold will move back to RT if Barksdale doesn't return. But I think he's least effective at RT than he is at guard or LT.
----------
Why does Fisher insist on sticking with Wells and Joseph? Is he blind?

He obviously thinks they give the team the best chance to win, which doesn't say much for Barnes or Jones.
----------
Rams chances to pull off a win at Seattle?

I think they'll play hard. I think it'll be a close game. I think Seattle wins.
--------
Jim, at what point do the Rams realize that your play is your trash talking not your mouth? This is an institutional problem, and clearly endorsed by Fisher. Seems contrary to midwestern values, and frankly a bit ridiculous. Shut up and let the scoreboard do the talking.

It does seem ridiculous. And immature, like a child throwing a temper tantrum. I thought the Rams were beyond this. It's amazing to me how the secondary mostly still lets other teams get in their head and throw them off their game.
----------
What is going on with the Rams' secondary? It has been bad for a couple of seasons with two different coaches. Is it is talent, scheme, or a combination?

Until Sunday's debacle I would've told you that the secondary was among the most improved units on team. Obviously Sunday's debacle makes you want to re-think all of that.
---------
How bad could it get is Seattle? I have no doubt that if they are dominating, Carroll will keep running up the score on Fisher and the Rams

If the Rams come out as flat as they did against the NY Giants, it could be very, very ugly.
---------
I'm assuming you know Bradfords personality over the years. What would you guess his feelings regarding coming back under a new/cheaper contract? I mean he IS getting a lot of money for no production past 2 years.

I'd hate to speak for Bradford and his agent on that. I guess it could come down to how much cheaper and how the contract is structured.
---------
Last week I asked you which currently active QB in the league you thought could take the Rams to the next level and you said you'd get back to me. Will you get back to me today?

Well, there are plenty. Don't you think Brady, Rodgers, Luck, both Mannings, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Romo, Brees Rayn could help. If you're talking about QBs who may be available through free agency and trade, I'm not sure I see any right now.
---------
Does the refusal to give Barrett Jones a chance to play ahead of Davin Joseph (who is terrible and hopefully has no future with the team) say more about Jones' ability, the coaching staff's stubbornness, or both?

Probably both.
---------
I know you will probably get a million questions about Barrett Jones, so here is the first one and maybe this will stop further questions. Do you think Barrett Jones can be a starting lineman in the NFL and what do you think is his best position?

Because of injuries, it's hard to know if Jones can be an NFL starter. He's barely been on the field. He needs, obviously, to stay healthy. And he needs a great offseason, in terms of adding strength and working on his entire game. But I think center or guard is where he'd fit best.
--------
How much blame goes on the coaches for Sunday's fiasco? Rams seemed totally unprepared to play football.

When you have a fiasco like we saw Sunday on defense _ 514 yards _ you certainly have to blame coaching as well as the players. Same goes for the team lacking intensity at the start of the game.
---------
Jim, why is Fischer playing Wells. Obviously he's hurt (numerous bad snaps) but continues to play him. What's the reasoning?

Fisher said Monday that Wells is healthy, that he wasn't in the training room last week. That he thought he was wearing the brace as more of a "security" thing. Fisher said he values Wells' smarts on the line of scrimmage, and his ability to make the right checks and line calls.
-------
It seems like Williams' defense is predicated upon getting pressure by blitzing. the giants seemed well prepared to handle it and had answers in the passing and running game. Does Williams try and adjust by only rushing four and tightening up the coverage by playing press coverage on the outside and keeping the backers and safety's in coverage? it didnt look like it on sunday.

Didn't look like there were many adjustments made Sunday.
---------
if Barksdale isnt resigned and no other tackle is in sight wouldnt it make the Rams stronger to put Saffold back at left tackle for pass protect and move Robinson to right tackle where he is stronger on run blocking.

I guess that's possible. Robinson has had some glitches on pass-blocking, but I don't think it's reached the point where the coaches don't think he can play there.
--------
Jim do you think Fisher was letting the team vent over another losing season in the Giants game or is it time for someone to come in and exercise some discipline on the Rams. If Fisher keeps allowing the team to make the same game altering mistakes over and over again and it's costing them a win(s) isn't that the same as condoning losing and doesn't that attitude have to change or go? Your thoughts.

I wouldn't call making fools of yourselves on network television a form of venting. I do think the team was doing better in this area for several weeks. The release of Ray Ray Armstrong prior to the Monday night game vs. San Francisco (Oct. 13) caught players' attention. But what happened Sunday against the Giants looked like a throwback to the worst of the Fisher Rams teams in terms of lack of discipline.
---------
It seems clear now that Steadman Bailey is a more reliable receiver than Tavon Austin even though Tavon was drafted first. Tavon made a minimal attempt to catch Hill's pass to him in the first quarter a pass that was thrown right at Tavon's numbers. I guess it hit him in a bad place - his hands. Tavon's best attribute is his speed and it seems like the Rams have spent the entire season how to get the ball in his hands without the success you would think a number 1 draft choice would achieve.

It looked like the ball came in a little hot and a little high, but you have to make that catch.
--------
Jim, how do you think Robinson is progressing?

He's had some problems with recognition lately, in terms of outside blitzers, and loops and twists. Especially when it comes to free runners on the outside_ a lot of that has been happening lately. But I can't tell you if that's entirely his fault, or if someone should be providing help, or the pass protection design was flawed, or there was simply a communication issue. But I think the Rams still believe he can be an anchor on the left side for years to come.
---------
Why does it seem Bradford is not remotely involved in offense during game. I never see him calling in plays, interacting with QB or OC. Why not sit in coachs booth or help improve education of offense? Sign of leaving?

No, no, no. He's on the sidelines. He's there when needed. He's made it a point to be around, but he also doesn't want to be a nuisance or butt in if not needed on game day.
---------
what do you think is the most pressing issue that snead and fisher need to discuss this offseason?

1.) Quarterback. 2.) Interior offensive line.
---------
Are the Rams seriously considering bringing back Britt? Which of the current team veterans do you see as likely released next year?

So far, I don't think there's been much conversation between the Rams and Britt's agent. That doesn't meant that can't change during the offseason. As far as players being released, I don't think such moves need to be made based solely on creating space. Meaning, the Rams will have decent salary cap move. But I think most of know some of the possibilities either for release or restructure: Langford, Wells, Jake Long. . .maybe Givens
---------
Of the 5 positions on the O-line how many need to be re-manned for next season? Also in addition to finding a QB to compete for/train as the starter where else to the Rams need to upgrade including...if you care to be bold...the coaching staff (assuming you think that's an area needing replacement(s)?

Obviously, you need to consider center and guard. And if Barksdale leaves, add tackle to the list. Elsewhere, Rams need to think about WR if Barksdale leaves. Another linebacker and secondary help are possibilities as well. Fisher is usually very loyal with his assistants. He puts a lot of thought into it, and is very deliberate, about hiring his assistants. Which means he's usually just as hesitant to part ways. There was a time when I wondered about WR coach (Sherman) and DB coach (Cecil), but the WRs have been noticeably better this year, and until Sunday's abomination I would've said the DBs were much improved.
---------
What is the specifics on Bradford's contract for next year? If the Rams ask him to reduce his contract and he refuses, can he simply walk? Can other teams attempt to pick him up at that point? Would the Rams receive any compensation?

This is off the top of my head, but it's a $13 million base and a $16.61 salary cap. So the cap hit if Bradford is released or traded is a modest $3.61. Bradford can't simply walk if he refuses a pay cut; he'd have to be released by the team. And yes, if he's released by the team, any team can try to pick him up. There would be no compensation in that case.
--------
I've about had it with Janoris "50/50" Jenkins. Question is have Rams had enough? He seems to be more of a liability than a stellar corner. We need a corner who covers at least 80/20 and doesn't give up so many big plays.

He is a tease, that's for sure.
--------
Do you see Michael Sam getting another shot in the offseason? Gut feeling: is he out of the league because of football performance, or for another reason?

Maybe I'm naïve, but I do think most of it has to due to performance. Maybe he gets another chance elsewhere in the league in the offseason. Can't see it happening here.
---------
I'm big Rams fan from Connecticut. Been a fan since about 1988. Anyway, I'm surrounded by mostly Giants and Pats fans. I listen to NY Sports talk radio and have family member who are lifelong Giants fans. They are all honest and will bash their team if need be. But in their eyes the Rams are now a joke. They went from rooting for the Rams because I'm a fan to considering the Rams a bunch of thugs.

This game really put a huge damper on the season. This has to go back to the leadership right? The Rams are a talk a lot of junk team that never consistently get it done on the field. And not that Fisher is a trash talker at all but he rarely goes above the minimum in holding players accountable. What a shameful performance as an organization. Your thoughts on the country's new perception of the Rams?

I've read a few things on this, but I certainly don't have a good overview on how the country looks at the Rams. But the late hits by Ogletree and McDonald were awful.
---------
Do you think not keeping Case Keenum on the active roster was a mistake?

Hey best of luck of Keenum, and congrats to him on his performance last Sunday for Houston. But I don't really have a problem with the Rams putting him on the practice squad.
---------
Even if Bradford comes back with a reduced cap number, the rams must upgrade the backup QB from Hill and Davis?

And nothing against Hill or Davis, but I think the Rams have to bring somebody in who has the potential to be a long-term starting QB.
--------
It is sad to see what has happened to the relationship between the Rams and the media and fans. The headlines say it all. Much like a marrige gone south, there seems to be no respect for this team. The media and locals seem to blame everyone with this team, like they don't want to win or play good. Looks like this marrige is over. I have been a fan since 1955, I still love to watch these guys and hope they win every week.

To a large degree, the Rams have only themselves to blame, what with 11 consecutive non-winning seasons and an owner who refuses to engage the fans in any way. As for the media approach it's simple, and it's always been this way. Team plays well, coverage generally is positive. Teams plays badly, coverage generally is negative. The Rams have a won-lost record of 58-118-1 over the last 11 seasons, a winning percentage of .331. Only Oakland is worse over that span in the entire NFL.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Appreciate you posting that (and formatting it for easier reading), Prime.
But he said a whole lot of nothing, and put ZERO responsibility on the Giants for the mayhem that ensued after they set the tone.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But he said a whole lot of nothing, and put ZERO responsibility on the Giants for the mayhem that ensued after they set the tone.

True. JT is not verbose and rarely gives much insight but I've gotten in the habit of reading his chats over these many years. He's pretty much a vanilla type commentator as if he's afraid he'll get fired if he says the wrong thing. Hopefully others here get some enjoyment out of it anyway.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

You have two issues with this...One is that most of the country did not see that way, they watched Olgetree hit Beckham with an illegal tackle out of bounds that started the brawl and T.J. McDonald get in his face out of bounds.

Also Tom Coughlin has a history of being class and Jeff Fisher's teams have a history of pushing the envelope and being the most penalized teams in the NFL. Rams did not come off good in this game no matter how you slice it! I watched the same game and the officials should have ejected Olgetree and Beckham, however, they were clueless too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Next year with the upgrade needed on the offensive line, (center and guards) we thought that Roger Saffold would do well at guard, your thoughts on his play, with all that do you see him moving back to RT if Barksdale is not retained.

I think Saffold has played well at guard. Maybe not as eye-opening as last year, but still very solid. It's clear the shoulder has bothered him some this year; he hasn't been as powerful. Don't know if Saffold will move back to RT if Barksdale doesn't return. But I think he's least effective at RT than he is at guard or LT.

I know Saffold has the shoulder. But last year he was playing next to Jake Long. This year he is playing between the Rookie Robinson and wounded Wells. That makes an enormous difference. Rogers job was much harder this year than it was last year. Much.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
My concern is whether the NFL is going to shed any light on what really happened in that melee.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You have two issues with this...One is that most of the country did not see that way, they watched Olgetree hit Beckham with an illegal tackle out of bounds that started the brawl and T.J. McDonald get in his face out of bounds.
Except he didn't hit him out of bounds. But most of the country didn't bother to see the replays out there proving it.
T.J. getting in his face out of bounds isn't "dirty." It's just being a jerk.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Except he didn't hit him out of bounds. But most of the country didn't bother to see the replays out there proving it.
T.J. getting in his face out of bounds isn't "dirty." It's just being a jerk.

Sorry he hit him in bounds than threw him down out of bounds and he was flagged for it too. Off setting penalties after the melee, but the initial penalty was on Olgetree and was unnecessary! As to McDonald just being a jerk, well, it was uncalled for and thus and again just underscores the reason "most of the country" felt that way.

Now granted the Giants did their part too with Josh Brown being an ass, but overall it showcased the Rams in a negative perspective and the fact they lost did not help either. Add McDonald launching himself to hit Beckham and hitting and taking out his own teammate instead and it just added insult to injury! As always JMHO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry he hit him in bounds than threw him down out of bounds
Nope.

He hit him in bounds and was dragged by his facemask out of bounds. Then he was hit in the facemask with the ball and gave a little shove in retaliation.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Sorry he hit him in bounds than threw him down out of bounds and he was flagged for it too. Off setting penalties after the melee, but the initial penalty was on Olgetree and was unnecessary! As to McDonald just being a jerk, well, it was uncalled for and thus and again just underscores the reason "most of the country" felt that way.

Now granted the Giants did their part too with Josh Brown being an ass, but overall it showcased the Rams in a negative perspective and the fact they lost did not help either. Add McDonald launching himself to hit Beckham and hitting and taking out his own teammate instead and it just added insult to injury! As always JMHO.
Take a look at this: http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads/douche-bag-announcer.33747/page-5
jrry32's post.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nope.

He hit him in bounds and was dragged by his facemask out of bounds. Then he was hit in the facemask with the ball and gave a little shove in retaliation.

I guess it's all in the interpretation. Because it was more that a little shove IMO.
[av]http://zippy.gfycat.com/EthicalGenerousCuttlefish.webm[/av]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I guess it's all in the interpretation. Because it was more that a little shove IMO.
[av]http://zippy.gfycat.com/EthicalGenerousCuttlefish.webm[/av]
Brutal. How does OBJ have his head still attached to his neck? :confused:

While I didn't say the retaliation was smart, I'd say it was completely justified since he was dragged down by his face and got spiked by the ball after.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Brutal. How does OBJ have his head still attached to his neck? :confused:

While I didn't say the retaliation was smart, I'd say it was completely justified since he was dragged down by his face and got spiked by the ball after.

Now after viewing further evidence I agree!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Awesome! Now go tell all those douchenozzle Shehags fans the truth about what happened so they can shut their whiny face holes.

I'll have enough trouble with my family and about 20 New York Giant fans. I'll start drinking at High Noon so I can be numb and just ignore.