Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/22/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. A short chat today because more than half of the Q&A is on relocation. If you're interested in that, click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_840f91d41455?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

Me for Nick Foles, eh? I'm starting to get settled into the Eagles offense - not setting the world on fire yet, but getting more comfortable. How's Nick Foles working out for the Rams? - Sam Bradford -

Sam, good luck against Washington this week. It would be great to see you in the playoffs this year.
---------
Do you think Saffold will be back next year? I guess the Raiders were on to something when they failed him on his physical.

Except the Raiders failed him because of an injury to his other shoulder. The Rams have plenty of cap room. Given the state of their line, I would think they'd want him back.
---------
How high are the Rams on Mannion or do they look to draft a QB?

They like Mannion. They think he can be a starter in this league. But you'd have to think they'll discuss adding a QB in some way shape or form this offseason. (Draft, free agency, trade)
---------
2 things: 1) isn't it convenient janoris "clamps" jenkins is having his best season as a ram (though he hasn't scored this year); and 2) how will fisher ever convince a top tier qb or receiver to come play for him?

1.) There's no doubt in my mind that this has been Janoris Jenkins' best season, in part because he's been more consistent than in any other season. 2.) That's a very good question. Of course, if you draft someone they don't really have a choice. But in terms of free agency, I think it does make it tough.
--------
Probably to late again. The last two wins doesn't change my mind about Fisher. Team inconsistent, lacking discipline. Fisher gone, adios, bye-bye, sayonara!

Doesn't matter. All indications are that Fisher is staying. And it has been that way since the start of the season.
--------
Will Aaron Donald be the only ProBowler from the Rams

I believe punter Johnny Hekker and RB Todd Gurley have very good chances as well.
--------
Fisher seems to accept losing as if it is part of the job. Belichick (and Brady), in contrast, are angry when they lose, do not accept their errors, and do not accept losing as a part of the job. that might explain how our team with such talent (aside from QB, which is ok given other strengths), cannot achieve more than it has over the past few years.

Doesn't seem to be much of a sense of urgency around here.
---------
Don't give up on your QB just yet - Blaine Gabbert

I don't know Blaine, you haven't been great these past two weeks.
--------
Who gets voted into the Hall of Fame this year? Warner? Pace?

I would be very surprised if Pace didn't get in this year. Because Brett Favre is eligible this year, I think Kurt Warner has to wait another year.
--------
What was the evidence that caused Todd Hewitt to drop his lawsuit against the Rams?

No disrespect to you or Hewitt, but I don't know and don't care.
---------
I was at the possible last home game Thursday Night, I think those yellow uniforms burned out my retinas!!

Bright they were.
---------
Why can't the Rams get the kind of effort shown last Thursday against the Bucs against mid level teams like the Ravens, the Bears and Vikings? That's why they have an early vacation again this season.

Mind-boggling isn't it. I would say the Vikings are better than a mid-level team, but you could certainly throw Washington into the mix with Baltimore and Chicago. Those three teams are a combined 16-26. Then you add the close losses to Minnesota and Pittsburgh.

(Remember you had Pittsburgh without Roethlisberger down the stretch of that game). So consider those 5 games as a whole _ you win just 2 of those five and you're 8-6 and right in the thick of things.
---------
To think only if Boras was Fishers first choice instead of Ciggs...

OK, we're just 2 games in w/Boras. But it does make you wonder.
--------
Is next year Fischer's last year? Or this year?

All indications are that Fisher will be back in 2016, and again, that's been the read since the start of the season.
-------
Any chance the Rams go after Colin Kapernick to solve the QB problem? He's really talented and a new environment may help get his career back on track

That's an intriguing thought. I've talked to D'Marco Farr about this one. The thought being, the Rams could really do some things in the running game with the combination of Todd Gurley, Tavon Austin (w/the jet sweep action, etc.), and Kaepernick doing read-option stuff.

The question being _ would you feel comfortable enough with Kaepernick as a pocket passer, because sooner or later, you're going to have to throw the ball.
---------
Does Issac Bruce or Tory Holt ever make it into the Hall of Fame?

I think so. It just may take a while.
--------
Didn't the NFL used to fine players for throwing footballs into the stands or giving them away to fans after scoring?

They still do.
---------
Any..any chance Stedman Bailey plays again? Any word on how he is doing? any criminals caught?

No update on the investigation. Several Rams players visited Bailey over the weekend in Miami, where he's still hospitalized. There's a video of him online today jogging in the hospital hallways. Not sure if he plays again.
---------
what did you think of the mustard vs ketchup jerseys? i getting Aaron Donald mustard 99

The Rams jerseys weren't as bad as I thought.
--------
How do you rate laurenitis to other linebackers I. The NFL, seems to me as the "quarterback " of the dee fence he is more valuable than just stats

Don't know if you've noticed, but Laurinaitis has been playing with his elbow heavily wrapped this year. He's basically playing one-handed. He's not in the category of a Kuechly or Wagner, but I still think he's a good linebacker who excels at being that QB of the defense that you talk about.
----------
Because there aren't 32 NFL quality QBs to go around, any chance a team says "to heck with it, we are a read option team" and signs both RGIII and Kaepernick?

Oh yeah. I would think RGIII and Kaepernick would have their share of interest in the offseason.
---------
If they start over with a new coaching staff, who if any on the current staff would you want to keep?

That's totally up to the new coach. And usually, new coaches rarely keep any members of the preceding staff _ maybe one or two unless there's some other kind of connection.
---------
the glaring error this past off season was the failure to add quality vet offensive line strength. Reynolds was good, but not enough. Do you think the young core drafted this year can be top tier players next year or thereafter?

I think there's plenty of potential with the young offensive linemen.
---------
Why didn't the referees in the Panthers-Giants game Sunday eject Odell Beckham from this game. Were they afraid of fan reaction since it was played in MetLife stadium?

I think he should have been tossed after the head butt.
---------
Good win the other night vs TB! Although we won, I am sad because its drops us further in the draft. WE might miss out on WR Laquon Treadwell.
Should i feel bad my team won? even if my hopes are for a brighter future

Enjoy the victories, rare as they are.
----------
Have you ever asked Adam Timmerman, Mike Martz or Trent Green why they choose to go to a perenially losing team?

Didn't have to ask. Martz had a chance to move up to coordinator's status. Green got a chance to be a starter in his hometown. And the Rams overpaid for Timmerman _ who turned out to be worth every cent.
---------
If Johnny Manziel ends up on Rams I will puke. How about trying to go after Kaepernick or Stafford instead if they go that route?

Don't think Manziel is going anywhere.
--------
Are there any current Rams who will be FA that they need to re-sign? And what other FA would you like to see them attempt to sign?

At minimum, I'd like to see them re-sign Harkey, at least one of the 2 starting corners (Jenkins/Johnson), at least one of the 2 backup DEs (Hayes/Sims). It would be nice to have Barron back. I'd like to see Zuerlein back as well. I know this hasn't been his best year, but good kickers are hard to find and I think he's a good kicker.
---------
How has our play been at right tackle this season? I've watched Joe Barksdale play with SD a couple times this season, and he looked very solid. Do you think it was a mistake not to pay more to keep him based on our RT play this year?

I've watched Barksdale only once this year, and the game I watched he had some very rough moments at a critical point in the game.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was at the possible last home game Thursday Night, I think those yellow uniforms burned out my retinas!!

Bright they were.
---------
Has Jim gone all Yoda on us as a tribute to the new Star Wars film?