Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 12/16/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions. If you want to read the entire chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_68?Page=0

Hey Jim, best draft day move between these 2? Trade up to the top to get a top QB or move up a little to get the WR Cooper? Thanks.

I don't think either will happen, but you're going to have to get a lot to move into the No. 1 or No. 2 spot for a QB.
--------
Once again it was shown that if you can not protect the QB, you can not win consistently. No holes to run, no time to throw. We need to build the O line center and RGuard. My wish is that B Jones and T Barnes get significant playing time the last two games to see how they fit into future plans.

Doesn't look like either Jones or Barnes will get significant playing time down the stretch. But I agree, the interior of the line needs to be addressed. I'd say it's the top priority other than the QB position.
---------
Do you think the rams will be more active in FA this year instead of the draft? Its seems they have talked more about adding vets to the roster. Thanks

They've been burned more often than they'd like in free agency under Fisher/Snead, so I think they'll be more cautious on that front, as was really the case last year.
---------
Schotty offense look bad against good defense he appears lost an very predictable doing those games? Whoever Qb next year is going to have the same problem an it will be another year wasted with him calling plays for us.

I don't think Schotty missed a block, was called for a penalty, or fumbled against one of the top team's top defenses.
--------
What's the deal with Chris Givens? Hurt? doghouse?

The Rams obviously feel the three guys playing ahead of him are better _ Bailey, Britt, and Austin.
--------
I may be somewhat in the minority, but as I scour the NFL for quality qb's they are few and far between, and I can't help but conclude that Bradford may be a top ten qb iF he could stay healthy. I think the team we see as of today would make him a better player, and in turn he would make the team better. All this to say, do you see him as the top prospect for next season if health was NOT an issue?

If there weren't the health concerns, there'd be no question about it.
---------
Does Fish ever take responsibility for anything bad? He never admits mistakes or getting out coached!

He does every once in a while. Example: The TD pass allowed against Denver. Fisher said that was more of a coaching mistake than a player error.
--------
Needless to say our weakness at QB was exposed last Thursday night. If Sam won't restructure, how is this going to shake out?

If that's the case, it just puts that much more pressure on the draft, free agency, or a trade.
--------
Fire Schotty! This week I'm serious. Why the refusal to use short quick routes? Austin absent from the plan? After ripping the Raiders to shreds with quick passing it should have been resorted to after half time or at least inside the five yard line. We couldn't block for beans! Agree?

It's harder to complete those short routes when the DBs are playing press coverage. That's what the Cardinals did most of the team, more than perhaps any team the Rams have faced this season.
-----------
I believe the Rams have to bring Bradford back but also draft a QB in the first or second rounds as insurance. Your thoughts on this strategy? Any chance they jump up to get Mariota?

No doubt. That still seems like the best plan. I'd broaden it though to say first, second, or third rounds. Don't think they'll move up for Mariota.
--------
Any chance the Rams bring back Garrett Gilbert?

I guess it's possible with that one practice squad spot available.
---------
Do you think we look to sign Shaun Hill again this off season for another 1 year deal?

I'd be surprised if they didn't try to re-sign him.
---------
Which player has surprised you the most this year (in a positive way) and the least this year?

I'd say E.J. Gaines as a positive surprise. With Rodney McLeod as runner-up. As for the most disappointing, I guess I'd say Chris Givens, and Zac Stacy runner-up.
--------
Shotty’s on the hot seat again this week! But seriously, don’t understand where Tavon was on the bubble screens and Jet sweeps. I think I remember seeing one jet sweep and don’t remember seeing any bubble screens his way. And for that matter not much of any screen plays, seems like with as much blitzing as they were doing it would have been dialed up a lot. Thoughts?

The very first play of the game was a bubble screen to Austin. Also give Austin some credit for the reverse off the fly sweep where he tossed it to Bailey. Cunningham had a 19-yard gain on a screen pass. He caught another screen pass that look like it might go for big yardage but he cut it back inside instead of outside.
---------
What one move do you make to upgrade this team the most for next year?

Can I make 2 moves? QB and interior offensive line.
---------
It seems the RAMs couldn't handle all of the Cards blitzing, was this a scheme problem or just player execution, QB or WR

The offensive line did not have a good day.
---------
LaMarcus Joyner was supposed to be a big piece of the D. Seemed like he played well but Gaines was better. Any plans to fit him in more significantly moving forward?

That groin injury, I think it was in the Nov. 9 game at Arizona, knocked him out of the lineup for a few weeks and Gaines has played well enough in the slot to keep that job once Joyner was healthy. But I don't sense that the Rams are down on him in any way.
----------
How's Mo Alexander progressing? I haven't noticed him at safety only special teams a little. Does he look like he might be a player?

Still very raw. Again, I thought he was over-drafted. But has shown some flashes on special teams.
---------
Who sets up the blocking scheme on a play the OC or the O line coach?

It's a combination of both.
---------
Do you see Bradford back but at what price?

I see him back. I'm gonna guess somewhere around $6 million, but loaded with incentives that would allow him to recoup most or all of the missed money.
--------
Did Cook get taken to the woodshed on his coaching comment? More importantly -did he look in the mirror to see one of those who gets outplayed far too often given his veteran status.

I wasn't in the room and don't have a transcript of the conversation with Fisher. but it's generally not a good thing for a player to use any variation of the words "we got outcoached." And yes, I did notice that Cook was targeted 8 times but only had 3 catches. And I did notice he was called for an obvious offensive P.I. that wiped out one catch.
---------
Jim, of the current active Rams players who do you see not being on the team in 2015?

Just a few off the top of my head. you have to wonder about Wells, Joseph, and Langford among current starters.
---------
Shotty is incapable of making adjustments. As stubborn as his old man. All you need for proof is how good we are on opening drive/first half and how bad we are on the opening drive of second half (only team without a TD) and second half scoring. He can game plan when given a week to prepare, but is a deer in headlights once the other team adjusts.

I will admit, you have to wonder about the second half performances, especially to start the second half.
---------
Assuming the price is pretty low, do you think the Rams will legitimately consider a trade for RGIII this offseason?

What do you think Fisher's good friend, Mike Shanahan, will tell Fisher about RGIII? Probably not too many good things.
---------
Does Robert Quinn get held on every play? Looks that way on TV.

it is pretty amazing. Both he, and now Donald, gets held a lot.
----------
I'm not one to scream fire the coach but I have to wonder about the decision to kick a field goal from the one yard line for a team that has no chance of making the playoffs. What type of message does that send? We can't get one yard and we're not even willing to try. It's a loser mentality.

Again, I don't mind the one from 4th-and-goal from the 1, because you needed points at that time of the game, because it was a two-score game at the time. But the one in the first quarter surprised me. Plus it was only about a half a yard.
---------
Do you think it's possible Fisher has made up his mind that Jones will never be much of a player? It's hard to understand why he hasn't been on the field, especially with how badly Wells and Joseph are playing.

i wonder about that because after Barrett Jones played in KC after Wells went down, I asked Fisher if Jones could be a starting-caliber player in the league and Fisher's response _ and I'm paraphrasing here _ was simply that he thought Jones could play in the this league. Not start in this league. Maybe I'm reading too much into the response. But I wonder.
---------
If there were only two head coaching candidates Scott Linehan or Steve Spagnuolo who would you hire?

Really? That's the question. I let the team captains run the team.
---------
If kapernick or cutler become available this off season would the rams have interest? I kid I kid, is sarcasm allowed here?

Myself, I'd think about Kaepernick. (No sarcasm here.)
------------
Any thoughts on Trestman as an OC? Rumor is he's out in Chicago.

Interesting thought.
---------
What did you make of the Arians comment? What do you think Fisher made of it?

Just a happy coach after a tough victory. It's not the first time a coach has played the "nobody thought we would win angle." The 8-8 remark, however, was a little over the top.
---------
Martz???? Bradford can't stay on the field with 3 and 5 step drops for dink and dunk passes, he would last a quarter in 7 step drops Martz long ball. See Bulger, Marc.

Bulger made it to 2 Pro Bowls under Martz and is set for life financially. And have we forgotten that it wasn't hard hits that sidelined Bradford.
---------
What's your read on the Rams' WRs? Are they having trouble getting off the line and getting open? With a better QB and upgrades on the O-line, do Britt and and Quick get open downfield next season, with more plays open for Tavon and Givens? Or do the Rams need to draft someone at WR?

Gaining separation hasn't been nearly the problem this season as has been in recent years. But I think it was a problem against what's a very good Arizona secondary. If Britt comes back, I think the Rams will be fine at WR. If not, they better go looking.
---------
Percentage of how much Fisher actually participates in decision making during a game? Never really see interaction between him and staff like other coaches. I know headphones are on but still see a lot more on other teams.

He'll provide input on certain things. He'll tell Schotty things like "You've got 2 plays" at times on third down (meaning "we're going for it on 4th down if we don't make it on this play" but to a large degree he lets his coaches coach.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Schotty offense look bad against good defense he appears lost an very predictable doing those games? Whoever Qb next year is going to have the same problem an it will be another year wasted with him calling plays for us.

I don't think Schotty missed a block, was called for a penalty, or fumbled against one of the top team's top defenses.
But how many interceptions did he throw?!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Do you see Bradford back but at what price?

I see him back. I'm gonna guess somewhere around $6 million, but loaded with incentives that would allow him to recoup most or all of the missed money.
JT and i are on the same page here.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That would have to be a serious incentive package to get him to accept a $6 million contract. I just don't see it happening.
Yeah most agree with you. I've said that i don't think Sam gets much interest anywhere else. I stand by that. An average career when he hasn't been injured. I don't think his rep around the league will get him as much as others seem to think. Hope i'm right so he'll be back on Rams terms...on the cheap.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/16/report-bears-likely-to-fire-trestman/

Report: Bears likely to fire Trestman
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2014
trestman.jpg
Getty Images

The Marc Trestman experiment reportedly will be ending, soon.

According to Dan Bernstein of WSCR in Chicago, Bears ownership met in the wake of Monday night’s 31-15 home loss to the Saints. Per Bernstein, the team “likely” will fold the tents on the Trestman regime. It’s not known whether the Bears also will be parting ways with the man who hired Trestman, G.M. Phil Emery.

The Trestman hire was unconventional, to say the least. A long-time NFL assistant who was a candidate for head-coaching jobs but never hired eventually left the pro game after the 2004 season for N.C. State, where he served as offensive coordinator. After two years with the Wolfpack and a season out of football, Trestman became the head coach of the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

After five years in Canada, Emery decided to give Trestman a try. His laid-back, professorial style hasn’t gotten the most out of his players, especially with the locker room devoid of vocal leaders.

While most General Managers get two chances to hire a head coach, Emery’s blunder becomes underscored by the fact that one of the other finalists for the job was Bruce Arians, who has compiled a record of 21-9 to date in Arizona. Trestman is 13-17, and it feels even worse than that.

Also working against Emery was the decision to make a real, multi-year commitment to quarterback Jay Cutler. At a time when more teams are using year-to-year deals that protect the franchise against a dramatic downturn in ability, Emery gave Cutler $54 million guaranteed over three years. To get out of the contract after one season, the Bears would have to watch $38 million walk out the door.

The alternative may not be any more palatable, since it could become harder to hire a new head coach if the new coach inherits a quarterback he may not want.
If he is fired, please add him on our staff somehow. Please! Pretty Please! Please, Please, Please, Please

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Interesting Q and A on Jones. I wonder if JT's impression is correct.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
THAT is basically my one and only problem with Fisher. his hands off "let the coaches coach" crap. doesn't need to be controlling but if the ship is sinking or there's an obvious problem I would like to see him in the ear of his coordinators trying to fix the problem.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The alternative may not be any more palatable, since it could become harder to hire a new head coach if the new coach inherits a quarterback he may not want.
Simple. Make Rick Dennison the head coach next year. They were going to interview him last year, so there was obviously an interest.
And he was Cutler's coordinator for his last two years with the Broncos, so there shouldn't be a problem there either.