Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 11/24/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers only. To read the whole chat click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_bbff30dfeb14?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

I know I asked you this a few weeks ago, but any news on if the Rams are one of the teams coming to London next year? Would love to see them!!

Have not heard anything on possibility of Rams traveling to London in the near future. There's a lot going on here on a lot of fronts, as you're probably aware. But I'll try to keep an eye on it.
-------
by aaron donald - Can anybody stop me ?

You're doing a pretty good job of getting through double teams, coping without Chris Long and Robert Quinn. Your game Sunday had to be one of your best. I'd be shocked if you weren't in the Pro Bowl again.
-------
I saw Roberson playing on several plays in the second half Sunday, and it seemed like he was getting beaten pretty consistently. The picture on TV wasn't wide enough for me to tell why he was in there - one of the other DBs off the field or just more DBs required. I thought it might have been because of Johnson's hammy. Could you shed some light? How does Johnson look for the next game?

Yeah, Roberson was in for Johnson _ the Rams said it was a quad injury. In any event, as is frequently the case, the opposing QB went right after the new guy off the bench. Roberson did have trouble in coverage _ he was beaten on the only Baltimore TD pass. Not sure on Johnson's status yet this week.
--------
Percentages fisher is back next year.

Let's assume the team finishes 7-9. I'd say 70-30 he's back.
---------
How long does it take to get a third round QB ready to play? This team will not win another game with Keenum or Foles, so why not let Mannion get beat up and learn the hard way? This offense is dreadful.

So we're already calling for the third-string QB? There's no set amount of time in terms of when a young quarterback is ready. But I don't think Mannion is ready. He certainly didn't look ready during his preseason game appearances. In the modern NFL, with it's limited practice time, the third QB barely gets any work. Mannion shares in some scout team time, but otherwise it's watch and learn. Hard to see that letting him "get beat up and learn the hard way" solves anything. But I will agree with you on this: the offense is dreadful.
--------
Do you ever get the idea when you listen to Fisher talk about the team that he's one sentence from dropping, "Shoot, we'll fix that."

He has used "we'll fix that" on many occasions. All that is missing is the "shoot."
----------
Speaking of "shoot, we'll fix that," why didn't Mad Mike ever get another HC job? He had a great record.

A 56-36 record for Martz, pretty darn good. I did think he'd get another chance. But I think his reputation of being hard to work for hurt him.
--------
Should they move Greg Robinson to LG or RG? He's not doing too well at LT.

You know, in an ideal world that might not be a bad idea. But at this point, the Rams don't really have any alternatives to play tackle.
-------
The minute we get in to field goal range, why do we automatically settle for a field goal?

I think there's some merit to what you're saying. But Fisher does have a lot of trust in Zuerlein. And it would've been nice at the end of the game if Zuerlein's attempt was closer than 52 yards on a chilly, windy day.
--------
Four years later, what has Fisher & Snead showed for this offensive line?

The mistake was going so far over the top in terms of going with all rookies _ 4 draft picks, 1 undrafted rookie, and one supplemental draft pick. I was very surprised that the Rams didn't bring in at least one veteran offensive line starter in free agency _ I wrote it and said it at the time. And just because the Rams hadn't had the best of luck in free agency with offensive linemen (J. Long, Wells, etc.) doesn't mean you stop trying.

Maybe in 2, 3 years many of these Rams will be solid NFL starters or even Pro Bowlers. But it's not going to help this year. Meanwhile, many of the team's pending free agents may have gone elsewhere by the time these young offensive linemen are ready. Any free agent departures creates a whole knew set of problems. Keep in mind, even the great Orlando Pace didn't make the Pro Bowl until his third season in the league.
--------
Not sure if this was asked but has ANYONE explained how you dont replace Case with Nick when it was obvious he was not getting it done, VERY necessary winnable game....and * million dollar contract???? My throat still is sore!!

Fisher said he never considered a change. Do you think inserting Foles would've been the magic wand that rescued the team Sunday? Have you watched Foles play lately?
--------
This 2014 draft (aside from Aaron Donald) is starting to look pretty sour. Maybe EJ Gaines will come back next year and help make it look better. This brain trust needs to stop going for potential and get players that can play period. This isnt no child left behind.

Personally, I've always thought production is more important than potential.
--------
Given their poor play over the past years, the fleecing of the Redskins number ones, and a good number of #1 of their own draft choices, why are Snead and Fisher still running this team?

That's a fair question, and a question for Stan Kroenke. Unfortunately, he's not taking my calls these days.
--------
are the Rams still one of the youngest teams in the NFL? I'm asking because it would be a shame to see this D's prime years get wasted due to offensive ineptitude. Add a young QB to develop in the mix, and the Rams might have a winning season before my kids make it to high school.

Yes, I believe they entered the 2015 season as either the youngest, or one of the youngest 53-man rosters in the league. The problem is, as I alluded to earlier, is that in feeling the needs at other positions (Let's say QB, TE, WR), the Rams also have to worry about the fact that 3 of their 4 starters in the secondary are free agents at the end of this season. So is Mark Barron, William Hayes, Eugene Sims, Greg Zuerlein, Cory Harkey, Brian Quick.
--------
Do you have any concerns that Fisher may be on the verge of losing the locker room? The transgressions by Battle and Mason were disturbing. The game management on Sunday was horrid, and then you have the Keenum incident. What's your take?

I guess it's possible. But the team is still playing very hard. Once the effort starts to wane, that's when you have issues.
--------
do you get the sense that Jeff Fisher can't coach a playoff NFL team in today's NFL that emphasizes explosive offense?

There are several examples of teams that won with strong running games, strong defenses, and special teams. Carolina, Seattle, and recently San Francisco come to mind. But you do need to be better than 32nd in passing offense, I would think, to make it work with the other components.
--------
I apologize if this has already been asked, but after the Rams next loss...any chance of seeing the rookie QB?

Nope.
--------
do you believe it is possible that Coach Fisher had no idea his QB may have a concussion?

Yes. How many times have you heard a head coach say when asked about what he saw on a certain play: "I don't know. I have the worst seat in the house." I think it's entirely possibly that he did not see Keenum's reaction after going down. The question is: How did everyone else except the trainer miss it? And why didn't the injury spotter simply stop the game, so the physicians and independent sideline neurologist look at him?
-------
Do you think it would be a good idea to start Mannion in there? Remember Kurt Warner

For one, Kurt Warner didn't start until his second season with the Rams. And he was old for a rookie, having a stint in Green Bay's camp several years earlier, and throwing all sorts of passes in the Arena League and NFL Europe.
--------
On the in game review of concussions by a third party, if this person spots what they believe to be a concussion, how to they relay the need to pull the player and have tests performed? Is there a bat signal, a button in the shape of a brain and who gets this signal, the refs, the scoreboard operator, the head trainer on the sideline?

He can communicate with the referee via headset.
--------
Do you expect Fole's back in this Sunday ?

if Keenum passes the concussion protocol this week, he will start against Cincy. Not Foles.
--------
After game interview with Aaron Donald seemed to be some issues with the offense and coaching. Is there some hostilities growing within team?

I don't sense that. On the one hand, how would you not be frustrated? But also, it was the defenses that gave up 13 points and 155 yards in the fourth quarter against a team missing its top running back and without any WRs who would start anywhere else.
--------
Gosh, this team is a disaster. Anyone who really watches this trainwreck now realizes that the coach has to go. I know you've stated previously that only a major step backwards would result in Fischer being let go. I think we're staggered and leaning backwards... Who advises Stan on whether to retain or part ways with Fischer?

Again, it's what constitutes "disaster." 7-9? 6-10? 5-11? 4-12? You have to wonder if Kroenke would want to pay off the final year of Fisher's contract _ which averages a little less than $7 million per year. I would think he would seek out Kevin Demoff's advice on such a matter.
--------
Seems to be some resentment from defense players when talking about our offense. (Aaron Donald interview post game) Got to be very frustrating when the defense plays its butts off and our offense doesn't?

No doubt. I think your overall point is valid. But again, did you watch the defense in the fourth quarter?
-------
With Tavon Austin being small by NFL standards is he maybe too small for the WR role he provides? Would a Britt-Quick WR combo serve more effectively to the passing game? I've noticed Cook starting to catch the ball these last two weeks, did he finally get his rear chewed out that caused him to play like a true TE that can catch or was it when the fans boo'd him during the intros at the Bears game?

Last one, in regard with Foles and with the passing game around him similar with basketball to when you keep shooting you hit nothing but the rim and darn thing won't go into the hole, but you just have to work your way through it and eventually the ball will go into the hole or is it that he's gun-shy and rattled from the hits he's taken, in particular, the one from Clay Matthews? The reason why I ask is in week 1 he was zipping the ball all over the place against Seattle and has progressively gotten worse since week 1.

I think we've all see what Tavon Austin can provide with his speed and elusiveness. Yes, because of his lack of size, you can't always send him over the middle. He's not the guy you necessarily want to throw fade patterns to in the end zone, or have him body up with defensive backs. But I think we can all see his value. The Britt-Quick combo was effective early last season before Quick's shoulder injury.

But for whatever reason, Quick hasn't come around this season. And he's been on the field a lot lately. As for Cook, he's always had a lot of talent. He has caught a few passes lately, but it's not like he's setting the world on fire either. Don't know what to say about Foles. I will agree, that he hasn't played the same since that Green Bay game.
--------
is it time for "Greg the Leg" to lose his job?

Don't see that happening. But it makes you wonder if Rams will re-sign him. His contract is up after this season.
-------
how do you grade the OL. Is the line as bad as one would assume given that we are on a few third stringers? Any hope that these draftees can perform next year and thereafter? I actually think Robinson is pretty good, aside from the errors that happen here and there.

In a way, I don't blame the linemen to a large degree. You lump that many rookies and inexperienced players together on the line - and what do you expect? I think several of the young linemen have potential, but growing pains are inevitable.
--------
What are the chances that fisher makes personnel changes again in the offensive side of the ball? He assembled an all star cast on the defensive side. Time for some notoriety on the offensive side.

If you're talking about the remainder of this year, there's not much you can do personnel-wise 10 games into the season. In terms of the offseason - who knows? Fisher doesn't like to take wide receivers high in the draft. The move up for Tavon Austin was definitely the exception.
--------
I was at the Rams game in Baltimore and when the Rams went up 13-3, I told my cousin, who is a Ravens fan, that the Ravens would win because Fisher would go ultra conservative and put too much pressure on the defense. Fisherball never fails to amaze me with his team's offensive ineptitude. Same script every single week. So frustrating.

Turns out you were right, eh?
-------
while watching the Patriots/Bills game last night. It reminded me of the Baltimore/Rams game. Bills built on defense, unproven QB and not enough emphasis on offense to overcome the Pats.

Interesting. I was able to only watch bits and pieces of that game. It obviously takes a lot of offensive firepower to beat the Patriots.
-------
Who gets the ax first, Snead or Fisher? I actually think the Rams have upgraded talent overall. However, we're just not seeing consistent production on the field. So, I'd let Fish go first.

If this all falls apart and obviously it's trending that way, does it really matter. I think they'd both probably be gone.
--------
The coaches must teach the qbs to throw falling back because every qb we have does that. Used to have faith in Fisher, but he has to go. How do you play the entire game and not throw the football to your best weapon-Gurley? Chicago and Buffalo make a living doing that.

Yeah, I really thought the Rams would be working Gurley more into the passing game.
--------
A few other sports guys are discussing Fisher having lost control of some players. Thoughts?

That's an interesting point, I guess you're referencing the Mason and Battle benchings. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the effort's still there on game day and on the practice field. When the effort starts to wane, that's when you have to start wondering.
-------
can you name one good reason why Fisher should get a 5th year after showing nothing after 4 years that this can be a playoff team?

Most coaches are lucky to get a fourth year after three consecutive losing seasons _ much less a fifth.
-------
Johnny Manziel is about to be cut by the Cleveland Browns.......should the Rams take a flyer on him?

No.
--------
Fisher let go this year and do you see us staying with Foles after season is over?

Monetarily, it would be tough to cut Foles after this season. Unless I'm reading the contract wrong, it looks like the $6 million roster bonus for next year is guaranteed. As for Fisher, again, I think it would take a disaster for a change to be made after this year. As to what constitutes a disaster only Stan Kroenke and Kevin Demoff know.
--------
Ever seen a coach go 7-8-1; 7-9; 6-10; 4-6; and not get fired?

I'll have to research it, but I don't think there's much precedent.
-------
What games do you really see the Rams winning the rest of the season? Lions, 49ers and ?

GIven what's happened in past seasons under Fisher, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Rams jump up and upset Cincy or Arizona.
-------
I've watched the Rams for 25 years. It's been a real QB wasteland. Warner is by far the best, Bulger 2nd. Who is 3rd best in that time? Bradford or Chris Miller? I say Miller, he was good before his concussion issues.

Yeah, I'd have to go with Miller. We only saw a little of him in St. Louis because of the concussion issues, but he threw a good deep ball.
-------
I am not sure there has been a St. Louis coach of any sport that has been as unsuccessful yet as stubborn as Fisher has been with this offense. Even LaRussa would relent from his ways when the writing on the wall was clear.

Spags was pretty stubborn.
-------
Why can't anyone at Rams Park give Fisher the same ultimatum that the Rams gave Vermeil re: offense? They are basic mirror images of one another in terms of NFL success. Both made but didn't win a Super Bowl prior to St. Louis.

John Shaw and Jay Zygmunt don't work here anymore.