Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 11/10/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers from this chat. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_f12090b610c8?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas

do you believe Bailey or Watts will ever play for the Rams again?

Believe Bailey will be back in December. Not so sure on Watts, who is out for rest of year.
--------
How many games before Welker out with a concussion?

Vegas probably already has an over/under on it. Obviously, you wish the guy good health.
-------
Should we expect Welker to play this Sunday?

Too early to tell. Let's see what he does in practice this week.
--------
It looks like the Rams may have missed Havenstein this past weekend. Is he expected back against Chicago?

Think so. Fisher said he expects him to return to practice sometime this week.
--------
What was the report back on Maurice Alexanders game?
Looked to me like a willing hitter...but problems in coverage?
Looked like Bridgewaters walk in was a result of Maruice's going after James L's guy?
Actually looked like that kind of thing happened a couple of times.
Did he do alright for a first start?

Alexander wasn't perfect. But Fisher was pleased. He said if the Rams had won the game Alexander would've gotten a game ball.
--------
I think the Vikes showed how one dimensional the Rams are. The Rams put themselves in the hole from the git go by going for two. Then their inability to generate even one first down in OT was telling. How do they correct these shortcomings??

Well, that's the question isn't it. They simply have to develop the passing game and do better on third down. I don't have a magic answer for you. But it doesn't figure to get any better this week against Chicago which is ranked 9th in total defense and 3rd in passing defense.
--------
can you comment on Greg Robinsons play 1 1/2 years into his Rams career?

Sure. He's been an effective run blocker, and at times has shown the makings of a dominant overall left tackle. But as Fisher has mentioned, he has been inconsistent. Too often on passing downs, he lunges toward the pass-rusher and gets off-balance, instead of just staying patient and "catching" the pass-rusher. But I think he has the potential to be a very good LT. Even the great Orlando Pace didn't make his first Pro Bowl until his third season in the league
--------
Which QB is next on Gregg William's hitlist?

I don't think they're keeping score.
-------
It looked to me like Barnes was overpowered repeatedly by their DT's, do you agree?

There's no doubt he had his hands full with Linval Joseph. But a lot of O-linemen do.
--------
What are the chances more likely to happen we finish 6-0 in the NFC West or we sneak into the Wildcard?

Well, the playoff chances would've been better with a win in Minnesota. It's difficult for me to see the Rams sweeping their final 3 division games. I'm thinking 4-2 or 5-1 in the division. Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, and San Francisco all look like winnable games. That would get you to 9 victories.
-------
Were the Rams looking at other receivers that you know of and who would have you liked to see them sign

They also had Hakeem Nicks and Vincent Brown in for tryouts. Hard to say who else would be a better option than Welker. At this point in the season, there's usually a reason why you're unemployed.
--------
Is this the year we draft another wr in the 1st round?

Depends on what happens with all the pending free agents the Rams still have unsigned. If Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod and Barron all go, it just may be a DB.
-------
Why NOT leave Reynolds at LG?

Fisher felt more comfortable with Reynolds at RT vs. Minny, particularly since he had played there against the Vikings last year while with Detroit.
--------
is there a legitimate possible that the Rams can resign both Trumaine Johnson and Janoris Jenkins?

Yes. They've got cap room.
--------
After watching the Bears win on the road and holding rivers in check how can we possibly be favored by 7.5?

Fox is a good coach, and the Bears have been a tough out lately.
---------
Rams are at the point where their first draft class in 2012 are coming up for free agency, which one of the mainstay veterans are in trouble (Long, Cook, Saffold)?

They all could be.
--------
I know Jeff Fisher does not need me to stick up for him but pretty hilarious to hear Rodney Harrison call out Jeff Fisher! One of the dirtiest players to ever play in the NFL. What a clown that guy is! I can't stand to watch the NBC pregame with him on it.

It is pretty amazing. I'm surprised that someone among the NBC group of "talent" working the game didn't give Harrison a little reality check. Something along the lines of "Really, Rodney? You weren't exactly an angel out there."
--------
Why is there such a big deal about the hit on the Vikings QB? Must be something about Minnesota since they were whining about the totally legal hits I was giving out last year in the playoffs. Say hi to Rutherford for me.

From reading the Minnesota coverage, you would've have thought Bridgewater was bludgeoned with a sharp instrument and will never recover. I'm sure the Rams would've been upset if something had happened to Foles. But I've seen a lot of far dirtier plays. Joyner was wrong, he felt terrible about it, and he will be fined.
---------
Is it crazy to say the Rams have a formula to win the NFC? They have an elite defense, good STs, a transcendent RB (Gurley), a big play wide out (Austin). Not much different than Seattle, but the QB is the difference. If Foles is even average, this team has a legitimate formula in place to run the table and go to the Super Bowl, no? Great D, run the ball, and big play ability

I agree, if the rams were even average in the passing game they'd have a real chance.
--------
I remember people when Jim Everett was criticized for having happy feet. Do you think Foles is coming down with a case of the same thing? Granted he has been hit pretty hard this year, and his accuracy has seemed to suffer as a result...

With the exception of the Green Bay game, I don't think Foles has been hit all that hard this year.
--------
What a true shame that the Rams are so unbalanced and that the defense is having to keep them in games. Fisher and the FO have failed to build a competent O-line that can consistently open lanes for TG and protect a QB that is already exhibiting signs of pocket PTSD.

I don't think we can blame the line _ and just the line _ for all this. Granted the Rams aren't throwing as much as most teams, but Foles has been sacked 12 times in 8 games. That's tied for the sixth-lowest total in the league.
----------
does the organization believe that the teams passing games problems are with the qb or the wrs?

They think it's a global solution. QB, receivers, blockers all have to play better. Coaches have to coach better.
--------
Jim, can someone tell Zimmer to get off his perch, did he not see the “cheap shot” that Joseph took on Foles when he threw his elbow into the neck and chin of Foles, last time I checked they don’t throw personal fouls/unnecessary roughness penalties on a team for playing within the rules and playing clean…secondly, after 8 games, how would you rate Foles, to me he looks like nothing more than a very good back up QB, I would not even rate his play as a “quality starter” let alone a franchise QB like he’s being paid, could the rams be in the FA market at the end of the year and go after someone like, say, Sam Bradford

First off, there's a little too much "pure as the driven snow" stuff coming from the Vikings, that's for sure. As for Foles, he's being paid well but he's not being paid like a franchise QB. There's no doubt the Rams need better play from the position.
-------
Andrew Donnal had a brutal day against Linval Joseph. Based on preseason games, it seemed to the uneducated that leaving Garrett Reynolds at LG and playing Darrell Williams at RT was a safer place to go. Boudreau seems to like to play versatility to ensure best 5 in lineup each game. Was the starting lineup what you expected or did that give you pause as it did me at gametime? It clearly wasn't working, why stay with it?

I was not surprised at all. The combination they opened the game with was one they had used much of the week. Donnal indeed had some tough moments, but what makes you think Darrell Williams would've played better?
--------
any word when Long will be back, ogletree?

The earlier Ogletree can return is Game 15 vs. Seattle. As for Long, I still think it's at least a couple of weeks.
-------
What's your opinion on Trumaine Johnson this season?? He stayed relatively healthy so far n has played better..can the Rams sign both Johnson n Jenkins?

I didn't get to mention it in any of my game coverage, but that was quite the INT by Johnson on that deep ball in Minnesota. I think he's playing pretty well. So far it's his most consistent season. Yes, the Rams can afford to sign both.
--------
Did I hear correctly that Zuerlein's 61-yard FG was the 2nd longest in NFl history?

No. I believe it's tied for 7th longest in NFL history.
-------
Hochman was really hard on Foles. While he hasn't been an impact player at the position , is he really that bad? The Rams have a slow developing offensive line , and that certainly plays a part in this. Any thoughts?

Ben is paid to write opinion. Foles ranks near the bottom of the league in passer rating, third-down passer rating, fourth-quarter passer rating.
--------
At least the Rams finally have a 3rd down go to guy in Wes Welker. We don't know what we are getting but we know what we have had. With Gurley, Tavon and Welker, someone should be able to pick up a 1st down.

Not sure how much Welker has left, or how quickly he'll be able to contribute in this offense.
--------
Regarding Brian Quick: I find it mind boggling that he gets 1 to 2 targets a game, and on those targets, seems to be streaking away from the ball in the other direction. For a team who desperately needs offensive help, why isn't a guy who started to resemble a true #1 last year more integral at this point? Is it a mental thing, a coaching thing, a QB chemistry thing, a lingering injury thing?

I don't think it's an injury thing.
-------
One thing I found funny was Fisher expressing how great of a loss Stedman Bailey will be on offense. Now, he is great special teams player, but offense? Do you think the rams should've made a move to sign a WR even if Bailey didn't get suspended?

Again, I didn't think Fisher was over-the-top with his Bailey remarks. Losing Bailey is a loss for the team, but Fisher didn't make it sound like they need to replace Jerry Rice for a month. As for making a move, there usually isn't much out there this time of the year.
---------
I remember the very first question I ask you in this chat room many, many years ago. "Jim, do you think the Rams might be interested in Jay Cutler?" At the time, Marc Bulger was having his issues at QB. I remember your response very well. You proceeded to go on a tirade about why would the Rams be interested in a QB with a high interception rate. My thinking was, did I get this guy on a bad day? But I have come to enjoy your articles on the PD and I follow you on Twitter. So now my question today is, how long will the Rams go with Nick Foles?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. Do you still think Cutler is the answer? As for Foles, I cant see them making a change this season.
--------
I missed Coach Fisher's explanation on why he went for two in the first quarter. Could you please relate his reasoning?

It was part strategic and part weather-related. Fisher felt the Rams needed to maximum all scoring opportunities and he was wary of the wind. Sound convincing to you?
--------
Will Quinn and McDonald be back this week?

Fisher said he expects them back.
--------
Ethan Westbrook - is he starter material next year if we don't sign somebody back?

I think he's got starter's potential, but don't know if he's there yet.
-------
Right now, who's our best starting OL?

Right now, it might be Garrett Reynold or Greg Robinson. I might've said Tim Barnes before Sunday.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
And people used to call JT negative. He's more positive than half the people watching the games anymore. Perhaps it's time to admit realistic is a term better suited to him instead of negative.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It sounds to me like JT may have had a talking to by a managing editor. His stuff has changed it's tone a bit. For awhile there his answers had that "I don't care anymore" tone to it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It sounds to me like JT may have had a talking to by a managing editor. His stuff has changed it's tone a bit. For awhile there his answers had that "I don't care anymore" tone to it.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. His tone has definitely changed to a more football specific nature.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think that's it.

It wasn't so much about being negative, it was the bitterness - like a woman scorn.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Or maybe he wasn't as drunk on kool aid in the off-season as we were. I don't think it's JT that's changed, I think it's our own perception of our team. There were people on here that would get downright ugly if anyone doubted a single thing that happened in the off-season.

I very much doubt the PD editorial staff have given him any kind of talking to. They've savaged the Rams and Kroenke in print far far worse in their editorials than JT ever has online. They've shown no mercy at all.

People that didn't think Fisher should have to answer any questions in the off-season are now demanding answers about penalties, offensive woes, etc. It's kind of funny to me, the notion that he's had some sort of lightbulb go off or something. He was dismissive about the overreaction of the Rams towards St Louis and it's media in the off-season, and he's equally dismissive about the overreaction of fans venting now. Both are somewhat deserving, IMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
JT was angry after not being informed by Fisher/Snead ahead of time of the Bradford/Foles trade. He became snarky for a few months and now seems to have simmered down. That's the only difference I see in his Q&A's.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I disagree Blue. JT has had a very negative tone toward Fisher ever since the Bradford trade. Recently I don't see the extreme negativity towards him. Maybe Fisher sent him an apologetic fruit basket or smoked the piece pipe. Either way it is better for the Rams, the Post Dispatch, and the city.

fearsomefour

Legend
I try to be realistic and I have been told I am negative all the time.
When the Foles trade happened I talked to an uncle that I had to try to talk off cloud nine several times. I understand the reasoning, but, we got a guy with limitations. So it goes.
JT does make a good point about the sacks. Sacks and hits are two different things of course. The pass blocking generally has been pretty good the last several games. Foles has often held the ball for 3 + seconds....find someone.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Is this the year we draft another wr in the 1st round?

Depends on what happens with all the pending free agents the Rams still have unsigned. If Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod and Barron all go, it just may be a DB.
-------
Why NOT leave Reynolds at LG?

Fisher felt more comfortable with Reynolds at RT vs. Minny, particularly since he had played there against the Vikings last year while with Detroit.

This is me baby!!!

I made it ma, top of the world!!!!:yess::D;)(y):party::sup:
Definitely-Going-To-Hell.gif

oh yeah, my point was, seemed like we should have had Reynolds on Linval Joseph.....and Williams is a natural at RT....but again, IMO, the line didn't play that bad....

and the first question, since it's IMPLIED here that my boy Quick STILL doesn't know the plays, might as well get a guy that can get downfield in this offense....I don't know why he's not being utilized....I think he could change the outcome on many of these losses.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I disagree Blue. JT has had a very negative tone toward Fisher ever since the Bradford trade. Recently I don't see the extreme negativity towards him. Maybe Fisher sent him an apologetic fruit basket or smoked the piece pipe. Either way it is better for the Rams, the Post Dispatch, and the city.

I don't know. It's a matter of opinion of course, but I've read him and the rest of the PD since 1998 when I got back from Norfolk. I've seen no huge changes outside of the gushing coverage they gave the GSOT. Deserved gushing coverage.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I was encouraged to read that JT thought it was possible to resign both Jenkins and TruJo.

If that can be done, it would not only maintain continuity in our improving secondary, but it would also free up two premium draft picks for other needs.

Hopefully, Demoff can once again work his magic.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
JT was angry after not being informed by Fisher/Snead ahead of time of the Bradford/Foles trade. He became snarky for a few months and now seems to have simmered down. That's the only difference I see in his Q&A's.
This is what I was sensing.

@blue4 I don't really wish to carry any grudges against reporters. Hell - even Bern can make a come back as far as I'm concerned. So in watching JTs tone, I do think he has made a conscious decision that he can get better answers by being less of a smart ass or Debbie Downer. I noticed at the beginning of the season he had quite a few statements where he seemed optimistic about the Rams' season but he still was acting snarky in the pressers with Fish. Fish kept answering with smart ass responses. That seems to have been changing lately even after losses. I am going to guess that JT and Fish may have talked off the record and soothed things over a bit between them because lately I have actually seen Fish give JT some of the better answers to reporters not named Dani.

It could be just about perception but that is what I'm feeling lately.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
This is what I was sensing.

@blue4 I don't really wish to carry any grudges against reporters. Hell - even Bern can make a come back as far as I'm concerned. So in watching JTs tone, I do think he has made a conscious decision that he can get better answers by being less of a smart ass or Debbie Downer. I noticed at the beginning of the season he had quite a few statements where he seemed optimistic about the Rams' season but he still was acting snarky in the pressers with Fish. Fish kept answering with smart ass responses. That seems to have been changing lately even after losses. I am going to guess that JT and Fish may have talked off the record and soothed things over a bit between them because lately I have actually seen Fish give JT some of the better answers to reporters not named Dani.

It could be just about perception but that is what I'm feeling lately.

Perhaps they did. Maybe you're right about the Maryland Heights purchase and the edict is to play nice again. Who knows. I mean draft day the Rams were all about the national media, local media pushed aside, and I think a lot of that had to do with the politics of trying to move. Is it JT having a change of heart, or is it the wind blowing less favorable for the move and the Rams having the change of heart? We'll never know, but I very much doubt it was just JT being butthurt as many suggested.

MountainRam

Rookie
Winning can fix a lot of issues. Thats what happened to JT. They lose he is going to turn bitter again (which I support)
and win he has nothing to complain

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've always liked Thomas.

To me, he's questioned the wisdom of moves with regard to the offense since Fisher and Snead arrived.

I think that's warranted, given the dismal rankings of those offenses year after year.

He's praised the defense and that is also warranted.

Today, he still questions how the offense is being run and executed... I agree with him.

If that's "butt hurt" or "bitter" or "holding grudges", well, that's neither here nor there to me...

...to me, his take is still accurate and what many fans are struggling with.

That's just me... (don't throw any rocks)...:eek::ROFLMAO:

…..

Legend
Some of the questions seemed negative to me....why ask "how many games before Welker has a concussion?" That aint cool. So why would JT give that any press? We're dysfunctional I tell ya lol

"Which QB is next on Williams hit list?"

come on, Man....really?