Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 10/6/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts from this chat. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_7ea4b0c621db?Page=0

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 10/6/15

Not complaining here, but seems the refs gave the Rams a makeup game for last years fiasco in the desert.

Well, the Rams obviously got a break on the Benny Cunningham "forward progress stopped" call. These things have a way of evening themselves out over the years.
------
Who do you give your game balls to? Austin, Gurley, and the ref who blew his whistle marking forward progress as we were committing a fumble are my top pics. Anyone on defense stand out to you?

I'd say either Aaron Donald or Janoris Jenkins.
-------
Can you tell us what is going on with Brian Quick? Do the coaches not have confidence in him?

Well, at least he's back on the field and in uniform. We'll see if he gets more game-day reps as the weeks go by.
-------
I think Stedman Bailey could eventually be a starter do you think that is possible?

Well, he's certainly in the top 3 among the Rams wideouts at the moment. Don't think he beats out Austin or Britt at this time as the starter. But he's playing a fair amount these days.
-------
Who is the next man up with Ogletree out? He is really going to be missed.

Akeem Ayers. Here's the link to my story on the LB situation:

827588b7-9acd-459c-908b-1b9398814d2b_500.jpg

Rams forced to shuffle linebackers : Sports

stltoday.comOgletree will have surgery on his broken ankle Tuesday. Among the reinforcements being considered is veteran Jo-Lonn Dunbar.
-------
I watch Gurleys runs over and over and I noticed on one of his runs Peterson laid a big hit on him and didn't even faze Gurley, in fact... Peterson flew back like he hit a brick wall.Is this what makes him special, the fact that if he cant out run you, he can run you over?

Definitely an intriguing combo of power and speed.
-------
Who is been the best Rams player through 4 games ?

I'd say Aaron Donald or the now-injured Alec Ogletree.
-------
What can be done to help me in coverage?
by Rodney McCloud

Rodney, you've misspelled your own name. It's McLeod. By the way, that was a huge play when you launched yourself at Larry Fitzgerald forcing the fumble. I don't think I've ever seen a ball fly that far in the air on a fumble. And Fitzgerald never fumbles. It was only his 6th lost fumble as a receiver in his 12 NFL seasons.
-------
Gurley has been compared to AP but to me he looked more like Lynch Sunday. Who does he look like to you.

Not sure yet. At first blush, I'd say more Peterson than Lynch.
--------
Has Fisher or anyone said anything about making changes to the kick return. I don't know about anyone else but I see no reason to ever run the kickoff back if caught in the endzone. Take a knee, get the free 20 yards and go from there. Very rarely is there ever anything positive from a Rams kick return.

The Rams had their longest kickoff return of the season Sunday _ 39 yards by Benny Cunningham. He had another 39-yard return called back by a penalty. I think there's some potential on the KOR team w/Cunningham.
-----
Can Hager play outside LB at all? I'd like to see him on the field more.

He has been working at all three LB positions as a Ram.
-------
What should concern the Rams the most about the Packers this week?

That's easy. Aaron Rodgers. If not Tom Brady, it's Rodgers as the best QB in the game. He makes everyone better around him, can carve you up with the short game, and uses his feet very well to keep plays alive.
-------
I'm still hoping Travon gets a shot at kick returns . I don't see how it's any more dangerous than punt returns. Or is it?

Austin did return a few kickoffs as a rookie (18), and wasn't all that effective (21.1 yards a return). I'm not saying punt returns is a picnic, but I think you're more liable to get hit hard from all directions as a kickoff returner.
-------
How long before Tre gets his act together? We can have one heck of a 1-2 punch in the very near future

Well, he was only on the field for a couple of plays Sunday. The Rams are still averaging only about 50 players per game. Their time of possession is second-lowest in the league (to Philly). Mason, and everybody on offense really, needs more reps.
--------
Who is on the Rams practice squad at the moment?

DT Doug Worthington, RB Malcolm Brown, OT Isaiah Battle, TE Justice Cunningham, FB Zach Laskey, DE Matt Longacre, CB Eric Patterson, WR Nick Toon, CB Melvin White, DT Louis Trinca-Pasat.
-------
Could our pass defense be better with Ayers replacing Ogletree?
It seems teams have carved us up in the passing game, and I've seen Ogletree beaten often. I believe Ayers made a nice pass break up against the Cardinals.

Interesting question. That has been the one question with Ogletree's game. Coverage, particularly in zone coverage. Ayers had the reputation when he came here of being good I coverage. Now, we'll get a chance to really see.
-------
James Laurinitis laid the wood to Carson Palmer twice on Blitzes; one time resulting in a fumble. He seems to be at his best when blitzing. He picks his spots and brings quite a load; those hits had to take a toll.

I agree. I'd like to see him used a little more as a blitzer.
--------
It seems that almost every year the Rams win one game that they have no business winning (last year vs. the Broncos, beating the Cowboys and an undefeated Saints team in prior years). Will this Sunday's game versus the Packers be the Rams statement game this year?

Maybe it was the Arizona game this past Sunday.
--------
What's your prediction this Sunday in Green Bay? I give the Rams a very good shot to do some damage against Green Bay ... Maybe I'm just an enternal optimist, but the Pack looked very ordinary against San Francisco, I say 33-27 Rams!!!

I'm going with Green Bay.
-------
How has the play been from the rookie O-linemen? Are you seeing improvement?

Haven't watched them as closely as I should. Jamon Brown has had a few ups and downs. I think Havenstein has been pretty steady. So yeah, I guess I'll say they're showing improvement.
-------
if Havenstein is as solid as the other Right Tackles picked in the first round and Jamon Brown is as good as the other, more talked about guards taken ahead of him, then this last draft is oddly one of the best, since the addition of Gurley adds incredible RB depth (with three solid RBs now), and Rams needed a special teams player and backup LB (Bryce Hager) more than they needed Zac Stacey, who is doing little in NY.

Perhaps, but I don't think you can judge a draft class based on four games.
--------
Do you think Gurley will have another 100+ yard game or will GB scheme him away?

I don't know if they'll scheme him away, but I'm sure he has gotten their attention this week in the meeting rooms in Green Bay.
-------
If Austin and Britt are starters and Bailey's #3, what's the order when Quicl starts, again?

Quick may not regain the starting job again this year. Last year, it was Quick and Britt as the starters _ Austin as the No. 3 (playing a lot) _ and Bailey as the No. 4.
-------
Do you see a close game Sunday at GB or will GB run away with it?

I'm gonna say less than 10 points.
--------
Prior to the start of the season the emphasis was on getting Tavon involved in the offense. Cignetti and Foles are figuring out who the play makers are on offense and incorporating those talents into the scheme on Sundays. My guess is that Foles can't wait to see what Quick can do. Have we seen the last of the emphasis on the tight end passing game .

I'm sure the tight ends will still be involved.
-------
OK we beat two top 5 NFL teams and lose to those DC dirtbags. What gives? Also I think we need to text message Dunbar and tell him to hop a plane to STL.

Dunbar is here. He has been signed.
-------
A nice week with a big win, but no easier this week. I’ve been telling my Midwest Green Bay fans that they will see the following 3 things on Sunday. 1) Rodgers throwing his first INT at home since 2012... 2) Five or more sacks of Rodgers… 3) The Rams hanging around at the end with a chance to win!

I'm just hoping for a good game. Hard to predict these Rams from week to week.
-------
Hey jim.. watching Fisher answer your questions... he gives reporters a look like you are asking to borrow money and you already owe him money lol

Those sessions are always interesting.
--------
After watching the Packers play this week I have to say that I give the Rams a shot to win. How awesome would it be to win on the road versus two undefeated teams two weeks in a row. Talk about momentum. Having said that, would anyone be surprised if they get blown out? Being a Rams fan is maddening.

Well, if they could somehow pull off back-to-back upsets, we may truly be onto something here. Their schedule lightens up considerably afterwards, w/Cleveland, San Fran, and Chicago all at the Edward Jones Dome over the next four games. But as you mention, the Rams are consistently inconsistent. it's hard to tell from week to week what we're going to see.
--------
what do you make of the loss of Ogletree for extended time? I'm not excited by the thought of Dunbar coming back. I like the looks we've been showing with Barron at LB and would prefer to see Bates given the opportunity (it seems he's earned it) versus failing back to someone we know isn't up to par in Dunbar. Thoughts?

It's obviously a huge loss because of Ogletree's ability to make plays all over the field. It's hard to imagine the defense being as effective without him. But Ayers gets a chance to play more often, and he's not without skill. I don't think Barron will play less. If anything, his role could increase. Fisher made it pretty clear Monday that Bates was not the first option
--------
Given the Rams effort this past Sunday against AZ, is it a reasonable expectation for the Rams to duplicate this effort against the remaining 2014 non playoff teams like Cleveland, Tampa, 49ers, Bears, and Vikings unlike the feeble effort the entire team came up with against the R******* in game 2. Now that they have 2 unexpected wins, the road to a playoff birth depends more on how they play against those teams rather than just the result of this coming Sunday's game in Green Bay.

There's no doubt. The Rams have been known to stub their toes against lesser teams (although some of that happens everywhere in the league.) That's still a hurdle this team has to climb.
-------
Why isn't the ball thrown more to Stedman Bailey? I have never seen him drop a catchable ball (unlike a certain TE we know).

Bailey did have a drop against Washington, but I'm with you on this. I think he has the best hands on the team.
-------
Greetings from Ramstien Air Base in Germany, thanks for doing these chats. Much Appreciated. Anyway I know there are a ton of things to discuss but what exactly was the roster technicality with DT Worthington in which he was taken off and added to the practice squad.

By league rule, when your roster goes below 53 players (as it did Saturday w/Givens trade) you can't have anyone on your practice squad on game day that has been on a practice squad for 3 years. So that was the technicality.
-------
I was reading some stuff online about Jeff F. wanted to stick to the Cards over some bad blood with comments their coach made about the team. I personally overheard Mike McCarthy say the Rams suck. Would you mind printing that so the Rams can win next week?

I'll pass it along. :)
-------
I thought JJ played one of his best games ever last week. Not a whole lot of hoopla about him after the game. Thoughts?

Jenkins did have that pass interference call in the end zone, but the Rams were able to limit GB to a field goal with a goal line stand. Yeah, I thought Jenkins was strong vs. Arizona. I thought the entire secondary played well. They made Arizona work for just about everything, played physical football, and came up with a couple of turnovers.
-------
i'm wondering where all the laurenitus haters are this week. Good win jim, but my only complaint is this. The two highest paid Off players are free agents brought over from Tenn. cook and britt. They just are not cutting it. I know cook has shown and had a couple good games but he is a constant no show when needed most, and britt well.....is he even part of the offense. Might be a little off on the highest paid but certainly at the top.

Britt is not among the two highest-paid offensive players. And he did have 7 catches for 102 yards vs. Pittsburgh. We'll see how it plays out, but there seems to be a different player highlighted in the passing game almost every week. Some of that's due to the fact that the Rams don't have what you'd call a No. 1 receiver. And there are weekly variations in game plans and how opponents defend the Rams. But I do understand your concerns. Some consistency would be nice. And this could be a big year for Cook in terms of his future with the team.
-------
With Buluga nursing an injury and Bahktiari and Barclay being subpar Tackles do you see the edge rushers pressuring Rodgers enough to disrupt his rhythm and possibly cause a few rare turnovers? He won't have the same lanes to roll out of the pocket that Lang, Sitton and Linsley usually give him with Donald, Fairley and Brockers being next to impossible to contain.

Yeah, but Rodgers is so good with the short game, or quick-passing game. I've seen him carve up a lot of teams that way over the years, including the Rams.
--------
TJ totally took of two plays ... gave up first down on the 4th donw (?) throw to Fitz and subsequent TD at end of game without trying to cover his man one bit .. if tired he should have dragged himself out .. Crabby commennt check

I don't think McDonald getting beat on TD pass had anything to do with taking the play off. I think he just got caught looking into the backfield.
--------
Is Jeff Fisher a candidate for coach of the year yet? How about decade?

Sarcasm right? I get it.
-------
I have to say my family cheered when Isiah Peade was finally released. Hindsight being 20/20, what was your take when he was drafted and your final opinion of the kid?

Cheered? That's a little cruel, isn't it? I think Les Snead wanted a space player when the team drafted Pead. Didn't work out that way. For all his speed, Pead wasn't a physical runner. And even speed runners need physicality at times.
-------
what do you make of the Givens trade? I think we will regret it once we see how the Ravens use him. Agree?

Rams weren't going to sign him after this season, when he's scheduled for unrestricted free agency. So I don't really have a problem with it. As far as what happens in Baltimore, we'll see.
--------
Hey, Palmer got hammered, hit and hurried pretty good sunday. Looks like it took its toll towards the end of the game with his bad throws that he usually makes, got a case of the happy feet. LOVE IT!!

Don't know if you saw the Rams' pass-rush stats (from coaches' review of game film): 18 pressures, 7 hits, 4 sacks. That's a pretty good day at the office for the pass rush.
--------
When a team leads the NFL in tackles (Like the Rams), what does that say about a team? Is it a positive or a misleading statistic in regards to how good a team is?

For one, it tells you they've been on the field a lot. Which is the case so far this year.
--------
Glad you get to have a nice chat for a change, the Schotty beasts are calm, content. Do we keep 4 RBS active on Sunday with Watts back?

I expect Watts will get a one-week roster exemption this week, so he won't count against the 53-man roster.
--------
Would you agree that if the Rams play off coverage this week, Rodgers would probably pick them apart with the short passing game and negate the pass rush?

Yes. He did just that against the Rams the last time they met in the regular season.
--------
Heard the OL kind of had an internal pep talk among themselves before the 2nd half. Other than an attitude adjustment, did the OL coach make scheme or assignment changes? Whatever, it worked.

Yeah, Saffold said there were some adjustments made.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
What can be done to help me in coverage?
by Rodney McCloud

Rodney, you've misspelled your own name. It's McLeod. By the way, that was a huge play when you launched yourself at Larry Fitzgerald forcing the fumble. I don't think I've ever seen a ball fly that far in the air on a fumble. And Fitzgerald never fumbles. It was only his 6th lost fumble as a receiver in his 12 NFL seasons.

LOL

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
What story did he do on Inglewood? I must have missed it, although there's probably not a lot of ground unturned on that since nobody has announced anything official since 1972. At least it feels that way.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What story did he do on Inglewood? I must have missed it, although there's probably not a lot of ground unturned on that since nobody has announced anything official since 1972. At least it feels that way.

There are a few comments by JT on that but I choose to never post them in the chat thread because...well. I hate that topic. :sneaky:

V3

Hall of Fame
Would you agree that if the Rams play off coverage this week, Rodgers would probably pick them apart with the short passing game and negate the pass rush?

Yes. He did just that against the Rams the last time they met in the regular season.

I really do hate all the off coverage we do. I understand the need to do it at times....just not nearly all the time. It gasses the D, gives our O poor field position, and gives the other team too many red zone chances.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I can't wait to see what craziness Greg Williams is gonna come up with for Aaron Rodgers. If we are to EVER be a Playoff team , its games LIKE THIS we rise up and contend and not Pretend. I'm sure our Giant staff will have sub-meetings and then co-ordinator and Head Coach Scheme meetings. We need major creativity with our super talented DL and its Depth and maybe stop the pass coverage we been running or try to mix it up as Rodgers will read it early anyway , so disguises will be in use . Lets not outsmart ourselves gang. NOTHING CHEAP!!!!

Can we HIT Rodgers? His OT's will be beat as bad as the seahawks OT's are. Containment without having Ogletree to be the spy? I guess Barron will be the spy. I like Ayers popping Lacy and taking him down hard as Lacy is kinda nicked anyway. They will use #44 I predict more anyway , as he's faster and still has power. JL needs another ALL WORLD game. Hope the Thursday rest is just what the Dr. ordered this week. We need to score every time we get the ball. Yes I said it. Mix up everything that has worked so far with a couple new wrinkles for the pack. Should be great weather and once again we can't have any turnovers. Can't hope for another quick whistle. Gurley...Gurley...Gurley!!! Screen passes to Mason instead of Cunningham. Tavon Austin MAGIC sprinkled everywhere. Love the slants and time your jumps Cookie and Rise Up Big Fella. I WANT THIS WIN SO BAD!!! Every game is gonna be a war. There is NO EASY GAMES this year. Start It Up MOB SQUAD!!! The Rest WILL FOLLOW!!! NO INJURIES!!!:yess:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
For all the kudos the D gets (deserved), they did the bend but don't break thing yet again to the tune of 400 yards..I worry every time they are on the field, yet they persevere...I just can't rid myself of the notion that they can only get away with that so many times...I could be wrong, but I would sure like to see a win against a good team where they give up more along of the line of 300 yards...Nit picking, i guess, but I'm not a young man..My heart, while in good shape, can only take so much of this stuff without saying: that's enough, I quit !!!! Other than 1999-2000, I've waited too long to go out that way...Only my often-loving spouse would be sort of thrilled to the tune of a not huge, but reasonably healthy life insurance policy...I did tell her that I wanted to be buried with my money...She said fine, she'll write a check and put it im the incinerator it with me...Gotta love her....Come on, Rams, help my heart here...Thanks in advance.....

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
That being said, AZ lost that game because of turnovers. You have to think we'll protect the ball better (especially at home)...

They had to be kidding or blind, hence I helped them with our blue font...This seems to be a very common refrain from many opposing fans...The turnovers had nothing to do with a crushing hit and very nice strip ??? .And some timely Rams offense.??? Come on, guys !!!.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
That being said, AZ lost that game because of turnovers. You have to think we'll protect the ball better (especially at home)...

They had to be kidding or blind, hence I helped them with our blue font...This seems to be a very common refrain from many opposing fans...The turnovers had nothing to do with a crushing hit and very nice strip ??? .And some timely Rams offense.??? Come on, guys !!!.

I agree. People act like turnovers aren't caused. 14 penalties for 200 yards is beating yourself. 3 turnovers and then giving up points off turnovers is getting beat by the other team.