Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 10/20/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are only excerpts of the Q&A. To read the whole thing click the link below.
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_f7497f453106

Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 10/20/15

With Saffold out yet again, Reynolds to fill in as starter but what about depth now? Do we look at going with what we have, looking at teams practice squad players or even trade? Youth and inexperience concern me that we'll struggle to even break .500 - young guys look decent so far but this is definitely what drives the bus.

I think the Rams will stand pat at this point on the o-line. Although they always look around to see what's out there. They decided to sink or swim with youth when they expended 5 draft picks (one of which was the 2016 pick in the July supplemental draft) on offensive linemen and didn't add a veteran starter via free agency.
--------
How is Saffold's first surgically repaired shoulder holding up? Should we expect that to crop up, again? If not, will the latest surgery leave Saffold equally sound in the other shoulder?

To my knowledge, that shoulder _ the left shoulder _ has not been a problem. Obviously, there are no guarantees that either shoulder will hold up over time.
-------
Does Saffold have a torn labrum? Have not heard exactly what is wrong with the shoulder.

It's believed to be a torn labrum.
-------
What are expecting to see from the Rams this cone Sunday to you this gurley will wear his brace and what's your predictions for the outcome and gurley numbers

I think the Rams will hold serve at home and defeat the Browns. This could be a big game for Gurley because the Browns enter the contest ranked last in the NFL in run defense. They are yielding 149.8 yards per game and 5.0 yards per carry.
-------
How big of a crowd are you expecting for Sunday?

I'm thinking it will be the smallest crowd so far this season. Somewhere in the 40,000s.
--------
The NFC West doesn't look as strong this year with Seattle / San Fran struggling. What are the chances the Rams win the division this year?

It definitely doesn't look as strong as it's been for the last several years. You'd think the Rams should be able to be a contender, but based on what we've seen the previous three seasons under Fisher, seeing will be believing.
-------
Any truth to the TE Cook trade rumors? If so, for what?

I'm told the Rams have received some calls on Cook, but nothing serious yet. Remember, we're still 2 weeks until the trading deadline.
-------
Have the Rams announced which home games that they will be sporting the throwback unis? They don't seem to promote that very much.

I'm told the Rams will have two throwback games, but that one of them won't be this week against Cleveland. (I would've have loved to have seen the old red-and-black Cleveland Rams uniforms circa 1937 in this one against the Cleveland Browns.) I have no idea why the Rams have waited to announce the throwback days. There are only 5 home dates left after Cleveland: San Francisco, Chicago, Arizona, Detroit, and Tampa Bay. So it will be two of those five games
--------
What's the most we can get for Jared Cook?

Have no idea. Keep in mind, any team that trades for him inherits a contract that pays him $7 million in 2016 and $7.1 million in 2017. He's averaged 51 catches for about 650 yards, and 4 TDs over his two full seasons.
--------
How is Gurley on blitz pickup?

I think he's been pretty good so far.
--------
Might as well take the seventh rounder for Cook. He is garbage...a worthless football player. Plus, no WAY we resign him!

How can you call a player who has averaged 51 catches for 650 yards and 4 TDs in his 2 full seasons garbage? Plus, he's under contract for two additional seasons.
--------
After watching the Chargers torch the Packer D for 500+ yards what percentage would you put on the O line, receivers, and QB for the lack of production

I think I answered this one last week. And I think my percentages there were QB (55 percent), O-line (30) percent), WRs (15 percent).
-------
Any news on Alec Ogletree? How is his recovery coming and will he be back this season? I read he could be back for the Cards game?

He's still injured. Last week, I saw him with the leg in a cast and using one of those scooters to get around. The Arizona game would've been the earliest he could return had the Rams put him on the IR/designated for return list immediately. Don't know if that's the realistic target; remember Fisher said it would be at least 2 months.
--------
I think Joyner has been playing pretty well so far, do you concur?

Agreed. Even though he got burned on that James Jones TD pass in Green Bay, I think he has made considerable strides as compared to his rookie season. He has been an active, aggressive tackler and has made some plays on the ball.
---------
With the running game improving do you think we will see the true full back promoted from the practice squad I love that full back dive play

Harkey does pretty well as a lead blocker. So does Kendricks, who lined up there a good deal in Green Bay.
--------
at this point in the season, what do you consider the Rams greatest needs for next year? OL and WR?

A big part of that answer depends on what free agents the Rams re-sign, and which ones leave. Jenkins, Johnson, McLeod are pending free agents in the secondary. Same for Hayes, Sims, and Fairley on the defensive line, Quick at wide receiver, Harkey at fullback/tight end, Zuerlein at kicker. Also is Long back next year? Saffold? Cook (if he makes it through this season)?
--------
According to ESPN, the Rams offense ranks dead last in total yds, total yds per game, passing yards per game, total points scored, and points scored per game. Pretty dog gone terrible. Who would you say should be held accountable for this outcome? I say this is a complete coaching failure.

It's all Schottenheimer's and Bradford's fault.
--------
What are you initial feelings about Havenstein and Brown, on their Way to being above average or is the development slower than expected

I'd say on their way to being above average.
-------
Do you think coach Fisher will sit Cook and put TE Cunningham in on the action?

If Cunningham plays it will because Kendricks can't go following the finger surgery.
--------
if the Rams lay an egg on sunday how much fire wiil coach fish be under

From management/ownership? Probably very little. From the fans? Probably a lot.
--------
Rams back at it again in a must win against Cleveland? They have a shot at the division! On a side note, I'm sure you have covered better high schools games than what we saw last night between the Giants and Eagles!

If the Rams truly want to be a playoff contender, they have to defeat teams like the Browns at home. Plain and simple. As for the Giants-Eagles, I was able to watch most of it. Yeah, it was tough to watch.
---------
I think the rams are playing the oline out of position would it be better to move greg inside gaurd an havenstien to left tackle those to guys on the same side could dominate dline in the run game

I'm not sure Havenstein has the footwork or overall athleticism to play left tackle. He seems like the prototypical right tackle to me.
--------
I've not been impressed with Mason. Can Cunningham or Watts give Gurley enough of breather so that he isn't used up too quickly?

I wouldn't give up on Mason just yet. He had that hamstring injury at the start of the regular season, and has barely played the past two games.
--------
With all the scuttlebutt floating around regarding a possible trade interest in Jared Cook, I was wondering how much damage would be inflicted to the Rams salary cap. As I understand it, he counts for around $8 million for the next few seasons.

Does that dead money get pro rated or does it immediately disappear? I know that when the Rams traded Bradford, he still counts $3.5 million against the 2015 cap. Can you clarify?

About $2.6 million of unamortized signing bonus is left on Cook's 2016 and 2017 contracts. So that amount would accelerate into this year's cap basically negating any saved salary from the remainder of his 2015 base. But trading him now wouldn't be cap prohibitive.
-------
I know it's early but we have Jenkins and Tru (i believe) both in contract years, any idea what the plan is to retain these guys? I know we have Gaines that would have been a starter but what do you foresee with the DB's re-signing with the Rams?

I believe the Rams were hoping at one point to have Jenkins wrapped up right around the start of the season, but that didn't happen obviously. I'm not sure things have ever been that far along with Johnson. I think they've both played pretty well lately. (Yes, even given that busted coverage by Johnson.)
--------
I have been a Rams fan far too long to buy into the narrative that says we are going to beat all the teams with a losing record currently on our remaining slate and deliver a winning record for first time in 13 years. Hang on - aren’t we one of those teams with a losing record that our opponents will be eyeing up as a likely W!

Rams stacking wins just doesn’t happen. Do we know when the team won 3 back to back games, let alone 4 or 5? (My guess is start of Lineham era in 2006) . So, from your knowledge of this year’s team, what record do we have after the next 4 Games? I reckon we frustratingly split 2-2 (W against Browns/Chicago; L against 49ers(!) and Minnesota) to go 4-5.

Hope I am wrong, I like Nick Foles but offense just too fragile to put up 20+ points per Game to win regularly.

Of course. But I'm not aware of any narrative that says the Rams are going to win all these winnable games just because the schedule lightens up from here on out. I don't think anyone expects that, and as you mention, the Rams have not shown any ability to stack up wins under Fisher. During his tenure in St. Louis, the team has won as many as 3 games in a row only once _ in 2012.
--------
Any chance Quick has shaken some of that rust off over the bye? will have an impact on Sunday?

I think it's trending that way. He went from 6 plays and zero targets vs. Arizona to 20 plays and three targets vs. Green Bay.
-------
Greg Robinson was a devastating run blocker in college, Why haven't the Rams run to his side more ?

I think the Rams have run to his side more than a little in the past two games.
-------
Is Foles the weak link on the offense? Horrible decision making execution could have cost them a victory against the Packers.

Well, that may have been the case vs. Green Bay. But he was one of their best players against Seattle and Arizona.
-------
How long does it typically take for an offensive lineman to mature (i.e. hit his stride) in the NFL? About 3 years?

Yeah, I think you're in the neighborhood there at 3 years.
-------
With the Browns up this week and Johnny football in deep do do again do you think there may be a chance we see Davis

I guess Davis would be Cleveland's second-string QB if Manziel was a pre-game inactive.
--------
any explanation why offensive players on the Rams tend to just disappear after producing the previous season? For example, DRich, Stacy, Givens, Quick. And now to a lesser extent Bailey & Mason.

That's an interesting question. The circumstances of course are different with Quick because he's coming off a pretty serious injury. But Richardson, and so far Stacy, haven't been able to duplicate their early success in St. Louis at new outposts.
---------
I am hoping we see the full Rams running attack Sunday. And I also hope to Cignetti adjust when the Browns stack the box. Please tell me Cig will be ready with a pass play or two that takes advantage of this. I think this might be our chance to score a bunch of points; a poor run defense plays right into Fish's scheme.

So it would seem.
--------
Patriots arguably ranked as the best team in the NFL right now. During their bye week they tinkered with their roster, always trying to improve. Rams did nothing and we aren't even close to the Patriots. What gives?

I don't think tinkering with their roster is the reasons the Patriots are unbeaten. I think it has more to do with Mssrs. Brady and Belichick.
---------
Aaron Rodgers stood on the sidelines for three years, learning. Brady didn't play the first year. The two best QBs in the NFL didn't get shoved into the starting lineup as rookies. Why don't teams take that approach anymore?

When you draft a QB No. 1 or No. 2 overall, I think there's great pressure to play them right away. Keep in mind, both the Packers and Patriots had established QBs when they drafted Rodgers and Brady. (I'm speaking of Favre and Bledsoe here.) Not every team has that luxury.
---------
Good Day to you Jim, when the team travels on chartered flights do you fly on the same flight as they do, also stay at the same hotel. Also is that a time when you can have some good off the record conversations?

Only time in 21 seasons that I have traveled with the team is on the London trip a couple of years back. Usually stay at the team hotel, but not always. Sometimes that leads to some off-the-record conversations, but not as much as you'd think.
---------
Any thought on Bradford's performance so far this year? I'm amazed he hasn't been hurt yet. Maybe the Eagles Oline is far better than the Rams.

Last night (vs. Giants) was the first time I'd watched him for an extended period of time. He just doesn't look totally comfortable to me. And I wonder if that system really is the best fit for him. He has taken some shots however, and gotten up. For a variety of reason, the Eagles had trouble last night getting into a rhythm offensively.

You can't blame him for one of his interceptions last night _ the WR inexplicably stopped running the route. But the first INT was a high throw, and the third he threw into traffic. Keep in mind, he hadn't really played for a year and a half in the regular season. He just doesn't look like he's got his feel for the game back.
-------
Is Chris Long out this weekend? Longer than this weekend?

No official word yet. In fact, no official injury report until Weds. But my guess is that he misses this weekend and maybe another game or two beyond that.
--------
Rams said they used the bye week to self scout. Do you think the offensive through this process learned that Bailey runs the best routes and has the best hands of all the receivers. Aneas Williams, Isaac, Torry and Marshal think so .

Tavon and Gurley have been given the opportunity to make plays and have taken advantage of the opportunity. It is time for Bailey to get the majority of the snaps and see if he is another playmaker to add to another dimension to the offense. Do you agree.

I've always liked Bailey. But actually, he's playing more at this point of the season _ much more _ than he did in 2014 or '13.
--------
In the G.Bay game it would have been nice to see some screen passes to slow the rush down, or a quick pass to one of the three serviceable TE's the Rams have. In fact, its been missing from most all of the games. Can you ask the OC what he has been doing to slow the rush down?

Actually, I think the screen game was pretty effective earlier in the season. But I agree with you; I would've have liked to have seen it used more against the Packers. The Rams did try the screens, or versions of the screen, a couple of times vs. Packers but without success.
---------
6 weeks into the season, the Rams are in second place and 2-0 within the division, with the easy part of the schedule up ahead. Sounds great, doesn't it?

Yes, and Santa Claus is coming to town!
-------
Predict the score please.

Rams 27, Browns 20.
--------
In your opinion, if you were on the opposing team and you had one person on the Rams defense that you would not want to be tackled by, who would that be. Not who can hit you the hardest, but tackles the hardest.

I'd still say Barron or McDonald.
--------
In the Green Bay game, was there a designated player to track Rodgers? I thought he was pressured nicely but most of the time he got away.

Yeah, but when Aaron Rodgers is Green Bay's leading rusher, your defense has had a pretty good day.
--------
Last week Givens had 2 catches, 18 yards for the Ravens. Is it about what you expected the ex-Ram to produce? Seemed like a great opportunity for him.

As someone new to that team, obviously he's still learning the offense. I do think it's a very good opportunity for him.
-------
JT has the defense been giving the offence any sideways glances yet

Not yet.
-------
Does Trey Watts get some touches this week?

He's on the practice squad.
--------
Kudos to James Lauranitis. He took a beating earlier in the year by some in this chat thread but has looked revitalized in the last few weeks. Jimbo - isn't it great to see him blitzing up the middle!

I like him as a blitzer.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
In your opinion, if you were on the opposing team and you had one person on the Rams defense that you would not want to be tackled by, who would that be. Not who can hit you the hardest, but tackles the hardest.

I'd still say Barron or McDonald.
--------

At the Thordaddy game we got to see the players exit the stadium; McDonald was a physical specimen. Not exactly "huge"... But instead tall and well put together.

I would hate to take a tackle from that guy.

RamzFanz

Damnit
At the Thordaddy game we got to see the players exit the stadium; McDonald was a physical specimen. Not exactly "huge"... But instead tall and well put together.

I would hate to take a tackle from that guy.

As I recall, you barely took a tackle from your wife! :)