Rams chat with Jim Thomas: 1/13/15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers from the chat. To read the whole Q&A click the link

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_72?Page=0

To read the questions and answers from the chat relating to stadium issues and possible relocation go to the 'Latest on Kroenke, Rams and NFL in STL' thread found at this link...

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...rams-and-nfl-in-stl.34352/page-28#post-492469
What could Denver possibly be thinking?

You mean in parting ways with Fox? If so, that's a puzzler. Does Fox know that Manning is leaving? Does Manning want a more wide-open offense? Lots of questions.
------------
Hi Jim, Any word on the OC search?

Slow go. I tweeted yesterday that Kyle Shanahan and Nathaniel Hackett are on the Rams' radar, but don't have interviews scheduled at this time. Talked to another potential candidate who had heard nothing.
-----------
JT, Is it J Long Barksdale or other as RT next season?

To be determined. First off, let's see if Barksdale stays or goes.
----------
Can you share some stats or work of Nathaniel Hackett I am not familiar whit his coaching work ?

Young (35), inexperienced. Some thought he as in over his head at Buffalo. Others thought he had some good ideas but shackled by the head coach (the now departed Doug Marrone). Was popular with players. Was a linebacker/long snapper in college at UC-Davis. Worked previously at UC-Davis, Stanford, and Syracuse in college ranks, and at Tampa Bay in pros.
----------
Do you feel with Mark Barron in G. Williams defense now there is less urgency to draft an OLB?

Barron is only under contract for one more year, so I think if the Rams feel OLB is a need, they probably should draft one.
----------
Do you see Lamarcus Joyner making the transition to FS next year, possibly playing a role as a nickel back as well?

That's certainly a possibility. He didn't get much work even on the practice field at FS as a rookie.
----------
If you were Fisher/Snead - what would your off season plan be?

Get a starting-caliber QB to truly compete with Bradford; add a starting LG and C, find a No.1 WR. Re-sign Kendricks, Britt, and Barksdale (if the price is right.)
-----------
Jim first round OL maybe free agent OL what do U think at center

There currently are a couple of prospective free-agent centers available. including Oakland's Stefen Wisniewski. I'd certainly check them out.
-----------
Jim Do the Rams have anybody on staff now to handle the oc job?

I've mentioned this before. I'm hearing tight ends coach Rob Boras could be an in-house candidate.
---------
Does Tre Mason reach the 1000 yards rushing next year? IYO does Quick come back as a #1 WR?

Mason seems pretty durable, at least based on what we've seen in 2014. I think he'd have a good shot at 1,000 if he's the opening day starter. As for Quick, if he comes back healthy and gets in enough training camp and preseason work coming off the shoulder surgery _ I'd day yes.
-----------
Has Fisher reached the same level as Vermeil prior to 1999, where his offensive approach is so antiquated that he needs to take a flyer on a unique talent and worry about just being the head coach?

Interesting question. I don't think he's at that point, particularly with the success of run-oriented Seattle and to a lesser degree San Francisco in his own backyard.
---------
How long do you think it will be before the Rams start signing ( or negotiating with ) there free agents?

Normally, if an "in-house" free agent isn't re-signed before the end of his last season under contract, not much happens until right around NFL Combine time or later. That's what I anticipate from the Rams this time.
-----------
Is a restructure totally necessary for Sam this season?

Good question. The Rams want that to happen. But they already have the money budgeted for Sam, and will have pretty good cap space. So if they don't have many other strong options at QB (draft, free agent, trade), I guess it's conceivable Bradford could be back at $13 million.
----------
Rams opponents attacked Janoris Jenkins and rightfully so. It is sad to see the Rams play so far off receivers while successful teams like NE pretty much play press coverage for the most part. Is there a lesson to be learned here?

Obviously, the conclusion is that the Rams don't have much confidence in their corners playing press coverage. Because if you miss a jam at the line of scrimmage, the chances for a big play obviously increase. (The Colts also had success w/press coverage vs. Denver.)
----------
Any insight as to why Barret Jones wasn't given an opportunity at Center down the stretch?

Fisher opted to go with veterans at center and right guard. Makes you wonder if the Rams feel he can be a starter in the league.
-------
When does Jenkins mature quit getting beat deep SF end of 1st half terrible

No time like the present. It's one thing to gamble. It's another to leave your area of responsibility and try to do someone else's job on the field.
----------
Denver finished 12-4 not 4-12 and they are blowing up the entire coaching staff. They had the wins, so it is all about personalities, sorry, meant to say 'philosophical differences? Meanwhile in St. Louis, land of .500, it's all kumbaya?

Uh, St. Louis isn't the land of .500. It's the land of 15-65 from 2007-11. It's the land of no winning seasons since 2003. It's the land of 20-27-1 under Fisher/Snead.
----------
I get it, Schotty wasn't fired but did Fisher open the door, stand behind Schotty and point the way for him to voluntarily walk out the door? Do you agree with Bernie that any OC is handcuffed by 'Fisher's offense' so whoever comes in next gives us more of the same?

Yeah, I wonder if Fisher suggested that Schottenheimer "look elsewhere." Although Schotty told me last week Fisher wanted him back. As for Bernie, I'm very glad he wrote that blog. I've been saying that for a couple of years. Coordinators call the plays, but they're operating under the head coach's overall offensive (and defensive) philosophy.
----------
If you can sign Kendrick reasonably, do you allow Cook to move on and continue to develop Harkey and Bayer? Cook has not earned his contract, despite being the biggest offensive fish in this diminutive offensive pond.

If it were up to me, I'd like to keep Kendricks and Cook. Cook hasn't been great, that's for sure, but he's been good. Until you've found something better why cut ties. There may also be some cap ramifications if he's released this offseason.
-----------
Ethan Westbrook, DLine, expected more. What happened?

Rams are still high on him. When he made the final cut _ as the 9th D-lineman _ they knew he was very raw and probably wouldn't have an immediate impact. And he also suffered a broken hand that set him back for several weeks.
----------
E.J Gaines was a wonderful surprise. My question is do you think he is a high floor low ceiling athlete, or can he get a lot better?

I'm sure he can get better.
--------
Its fair to say that Saffold has never been a better NFL player than when he played RG though would you not agree. So if that is the case keep him there. Lets not have him be solid at LG when he can be Pro Bowl at RG

I'm not sure he's necessarily better at RG than LG. But it'd be nice if he could just stay put at one spot, and the Rams had enough depth to patch up other spots in the case of injury. The only reason he was moved to LG from RG after Jake Long's injury is that Davin Joseph has played only RG over his entire career.
----------
How many of our free-agents get resigned, who are they?

As we sit here now, I'd rank them in terms of most likely to be re-signed: 1.) Britt, 2.) Barksdale, 3.) Kendricks.
----------
Did Stacy regress or was Mason just better?

I think it was the latter _ Mason better, and more of a big-play threat.
-----------
Givens has been hurt without having Sam at QB because of the lack of deep ball but has his hip sailed regardless?

Don't think so. He's still under contract. So why not bring him back.
---------
I like Schotty, however, his downfall was he couldn't make adjustments at half time. What OC is out there that is great at adjustments?

That's a tough call. Just like it's tough to know which personnel men are really doing a good job, it's tough to know who's really making halftime adjustment and who's not. I think the whole notion of half-time adjustments is a little overblown anyway because halftimes are so short. I think it's more about in-game adjustments.
----------
Has Marc Trestman been linked to the OC job here in St. Louis? Anyone else you have heard JT?

I've looked into it. Nothing I can report at this time. He had lots of issues in Chicago. There were questions about leadership. He didn't work wonders with Cutler. And the production of the Bears offense went down while he was there.
----------
Who according to you is the best candidate for the OC job? Is there any possibility of Mike Martz coming out of retirement, does he even fit with Fisher's team?

We all know Mike Martz loves to throw the ball. . .and throw it some more, often with no regard to staying balanced. Don't think that's exactly a fit. As for best fit, I don't really have one now that Roman has opted for Buffalo.
----------
What's your prediction for depth chart for corner next year, janoris just looks to be 3rd or 4th to me

I'd be shocked if he wasn't starting. I'd say Jenkins No. 1, Gaines, No. 2, Johnson No. 3, Roberson or Joyner No. 4 or 5. These rankings to not necessarily reflect my views.
----------
I am wondering if any one on the Rams thinks that Chase Daniels could be the back-up and then groomed QB to follow Sam if he gets hurt again. He does win even if he plays very little.

He's under contract with Kansas City in 2015, so it would have to be a trade. And he's making a lot for a backup. I think it might be $5 million next year.