Rams/Chargers to swap GM's?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
X said:
Faceplant said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
It's simple for me....in Stan I Trust. Whether BD, SS or both stay or leave.....it's Stan's call and I'll roll with it.
Well, we can agree on THAT much. I don't care much about Marge. Or Marty. I do like marble rye though.

There it is. :sly:

I knew someone would catch the reference.

ICWUTUDIDTHERE

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
The problem w/ Smith is that he let many of those players go...

Brees- Let go, but understandable b/c of his injury. However he was playing pretty good when they drafted Rivers. Why they did that, IDK.

Turner- Why, IDK. LT's contract? If they extended him they could've had him as the future successer of LT.

Osgood- Their STs haven't been the same since then.

Welker- Gone after 1 game. They didn't develop him or anything.

Olshansky- Didn't extend him after 2008 season.

Kaeding- He's a K, so I don't really count. He made Pro Bowls b/c of those 13-3 years when a bunch of Chargers get there (as does any flavor of the season team, like Packers this year). Plus he's had some bad misses in the playoffs.

Sproles- Let go. See Turner.

Merriman- An absolute bust, let go and has done nothing.

I'll give you Castillo, Hardwick, Rivers, Dielman, Gates, and Cooper. We'll see what they do w/ Floyd or Jackson.

Point is even if Smith even became Rams GM, many players would probably let go and we'll be right back in square 1...rebuilding.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
It's simple for me....in Stan I Trust. Whether BD, SS or both stay or leave.....it's Stan's call and I'll roll with it.

Yeah - I'd agree there. And we all better hope that trust is repaid because I don't see Stan selling the Rams any time soon.

Angry Ram

I don't buy that. Good GMs keep their best players on the team. I'm not taking away his talent evalutation abilities, I just believe he wouldn't be a good fit.

Steelers, they have recently within the last 3 years or so resigned Taylor, Polamalu, Farrior, Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, Roethlisberger, Ward...you know, key studs. I would bet they are gonna sign Wallace, Brown, Sanders eventually as well.

Packers, you don't see many key players let go. Remember James Jones who I wanted to see signed, resigned there.

For w/e reason, Smith has let good players go for a while now. Yeah, sometimes there isn't any choice but usually, that's not the case. Again not ?ing his talent scouting, just his GM functionality.

Oh and I just saw that he took Kaeding in the 3rd round! LOL.

Angry Ram

Sproles was more than available to resign, as LT was w/ the Jets for the past couple seasons.

Again, I did say its hard to sign EVERY player, but most teams keep most of their best players.

Besides, a good GM and team would keep their talents for more than 4 years....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
Sorry, he made the right moves .....offense was ranked number 1 in 2010.....defense ranked number 1 in 2010
And then they got punked by the team Devaney built (except for Jackson, Bartell and Atogwe).

Oh the irony. :rofl:

Orfordram

UDFA
While speculating, let's send an offer to Jack Del Rio to become the DC for the new look Rams. He was involved in building the Ravens "d".

Angry Ram

RealRamsFan said:
Angry Ram said:
Sproles was more than available to resign, as LT was w/ the Jets for the past couple seasons.

Again, I did say its hard to sign EVERY player, but most teams keep most of their best players.

Besides, a good GM and team would keep their talents for more than 4 years....

Sproles for 5 years .....a 28 year old gadget back not worth the money he wanted if they have other needs.

Turner for 4 years .....27.....and LT was 28. Not a good idea to sign a 27 year old starter money when he is a back up on the roster in question.

LT, hit 30, was getting elite RB money and was in decline. Drafted Ryan Matthews as replacement along with Tolbert .....

Sorry, he made the right moves .....offense was ranked number 1 in 2010.....defense ranked number 1 in 2010

You're missing the point. He let alot of good players go, whether justified or not.

Number 1, eh...their ST sucked. Really missed Osgood (let go lol). Their ST cost them a number of games last year. Including the Rams. Ha. Struggles continue to this year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
And then they got punked by the team Devaney built (except for Jackson, Bartell and Atogwe).

And the biggest playmaker that game is now bring advocated to be cut by some

The irony is killing me :tooth:
Nobody's asking for Bradford to be cut. :what:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:

The WR damn it! DX
Danny?

bluecoconuts

Legend
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
RealRamsFan said:

The WR damn it! DX

Nobody wants him cut, we just want him healthy. He's of no use to us if he's not healthy, and if we can get another player who is healthy to replace him that's a smart move.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
Nobody wants him cut, we just want him healthy. He's of no use to us if he's not healthy, and if we can get another player who is healthy to replace him that's a smart move.
Don't be so sure. Softli and Bernie both don't see the practicality of keeping him.

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/songs/danario.mp3[/mp3]

But ultimately, you're right. And it's a universal truth. EVERYBODY wishes he didn't have health issues. That's everybody that's a Rams fan. Without exception. If there's one person who wishes he was off the team simply because he's not a very good receiver, I haven't met that person yet.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
bluecoconuts said:
Don't be so sure. Softli and Bernie both don't see the practicality of keeping him.

But ultimately, you're right. And it's a universal truth. EVERYBODY wishes he didn't have health issues. That's everybody that's a Rams fan. Without exception. If there's one person who wishes he was off the team simply because he's not a very good receiver, I haven't met that person yet.

Well I mean if he was healthy, I would want him, that's what I mean.

We don't want to cut him because we don't think he's good enough, we want to cut him because he's not healthy enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

Well I mean if he was healthy, I would want him, that's what I mean.

We don't want to cut him because we don't think he's good enough, we want to cut him because he's not healthy enough.
Sure. I know what you meant. That's what everyone means. Even the media.

HornIt

UDFA
Angry Ram said:
The problem w/ Smith is that he let many of those players go...

Brees- Let go, but understandable b/c of his injury. However he was playing pretty good when they drafted Rivers. Why they did that, IDK.

Turner- Why, IDK. LT's contract? If they extended him they could've had him as the future successer of LT.

Osgood- Their STs haven't been the same since then.

Welker- Gone after 1 game. They didn't develop him or anything.

Olshansky- Didn't extend him after 2008 season.

Kaeding- He's a K, so I don't really count. He made Pro Bowls b/c of those 13-3 years when a bunch of Chargers get there (as does any flavor of the season team, like Packers this year). Plus he's had some bad misses in the playoffs.

Sproles- Let go. See Turner.

Merriman- An absolute bust, let go and has done nothing.

I'll give you Castillo, Hardwick, Rivers, Dielman, Gates, and Cooper. We'll see what they do w/ Floyd or Jackson.

Point is even if Smith even became Rams GM, many players would probably let go and we'll be right back in square 1...rebuilding.

He has let go more good players than the Rams have drafted over that period, and one of the reasons is because he stocked the roster full of good players and you can't keep them all. Decisions have to made when you have multiple good players at the same positions, all of whom want to be paid. That's a good problem to have and a credit to the GM.

Additionally, once they're on the roster, the Head Coach and coaching staff have considerable input in who stays and who doesn't stay on the roster. AJ Smith found Welker, but perhaps Schottenheimer didn't see his value? We don't know that. All we know is that Smith got him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RealRamsFan said:
X said:
bluecoconuts said:

He wasn't talking about keeping DX on the roster...he was talking about him being the star WR on this roster......

Your "clip" took the basis of his argument out of context.

No way do you make DX the feature WR on your team.....but he is one hell of a role player.

Lloyd
Blackmon
Salas / Dola
DX
Pettis
Gibson

That's a solid WR group.

Lloyd
DX
Salas/Dola
Pettis
Gibson

This is a suspect WR group

Bernie was saying we can't continue with DX as a reliable WR.
I don't care anymore. If he stays, he stays. If he leaves, he leaves. I honestly don't care anymore. You're another one who draws people into lengthy debates that spawn off into many different directions. Sorry man, but I must bow out of this one too. I've said enough on the subject and it's good enough for me. I can't continue to facilitate arguments that make fans smarter than NFL GMs and Coaches. I just can't.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Like I said, I'm out of this one. Consider your debate won.

Nothing personal, I'm just not doing this anymore. It brings me no joy.

I love DX as a player, I feel really bad that he probably won't capitalize on his talents for very long, and he might only be looking forward to a long life of continued pain. That sucks for him. Whatever the coaches and GM decide to do with him, I'm sure it'll be in the best interest of the team and the player. I can't change anything about the situation, and I'm not going to assume my words will have any influence.

I'm focusing now on Monday night and a shellacking of the Shehawks on National TV. It's time to resurrect the beast (Jax) and make the league once again take notice that a team decimated with injuries is not going to lay down for anyone.

joeybittick

Rookie
X said:
Like I said, I'm out of this one. Consider your debate won.

Nothing personal, I'm just not doing this anymore. It brings me no joy.

I love DX as a player, I feel really bad that he probably won't capitalize on his talents for very long, and he might only be looking forward to a long life of continued pain. That sucks for him. Whatever the coaches and GM decide to do with him, I'm sure it'll be in the best interest of the team and the player. I can't change anything about the situation, and I'm not going to assume my words will have any influence.

I'm focusing now on Monday night and a shellacking of the Shehawks on National TV. It's time to resurrect the beast (Jax) and make the league once again take notice that a team decimated with injuries is not going to lay down for anyone.

I do not understand why someone would get upset at a person suggesting that DX's knees might make him a liability to a team, or at least make it difficult for them to trust him.

I tore a ligament in my knee when I was 13 and I STILL have issues with the knee. That is after a bunch of physical therapy. I still cannot feel when I touch my kneecap and when the weather gets bad sometimes I can barely walk it hurts so bad. It still pops every time I bend it. Now, that was one ligament and I never had surgery, DX has had how many surgeries? I imagine it must be difficult (more difficult than it would be for a person who has not had that kinda trauma, anyway) for him to get out of bed most days, let alone play an NFL game. I honestly feel for the guy, cos when he hits 40... wow, it is going to be rough.

So, yeah, I think it is SMART to question whether or not he will be able to have anything resembling longevity in the NFL.