Rams & Chargers sharing stadium discussion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Once Stan sells the naming rights to HIS new stadium for a shit ton of money... the stadium will be called by THAT name. Oh... and Spanos and his lame franchise will receive zero benefit (or $) from that.

As for the shots I've seen taken at Stan in this thread... I'm just gonna give this one warning. Please knock it off. Reread our Terms and Conditions if you are confused about this... pay special attention to #6. Mahalo.

Psycho_X

Legend
Once Stan sells the naming rights to HIS new stadium for a crap ton of money... the stadium will be called by THAT name. Oh... and Spanos and his lame franchise will receive zero benefit (or $) from that.

That is true, it'll help once there is a name to call it. And he will definitely be raking in the big bucks which is why some fans will be bothered by it way more than he ever will be. In the mean time all I care about is a winning record. If the losses continue to mount I don't care where the stadium is, how big it is, or who takes a dump in it 8 times a season (figuratively and literally).

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's funny you mention this
I tried to look back on my life growing up in So Cal and remember who I knew that was a Charger fan - interestingly enough I too only knew ONE Charger fan.

It was Danny Villanueva
The former Ram kicker was doing Spanish broadcasts at the time and he was my buddies Uncle so we got to go down to San Diego for the VIP treatment. We were in elementsry school at the time. We stayed at Mr. Villanueva's house and it was great being with a great Mexican-American family, eating, and talking Rams football with a former Ram great.

The thing I don't recall any discussion on the Chargers come up at all -- and then at the actual game time me and my buddy were secretly rooting for the Raiders. So the best part of the Chargers was actually a Ram fan.

Anyway - RIP Danny Villanueva

View attachment 20036 View attachment 20037
View attachment 20038
Great stuff. I went to a game in SD in of all seasons 1994. We were leaving LA and SD was in the midst of a 11-5 season. Even then there seemed to be more Rams fans there than Charger fans. I heard from friends that the last game we played in SD was the same.

nighttrain

Legend
First , it looks to me like all they did was to go alphabetical

second , as I get older I've learned not to sweat the small crap

homer4.jpg
Truth it is amigo
train

bnw

Pro Bowler
Once Stan sells the naming rights to HIS new stadium for a crap ton of money... the stadium will be called by THAT name. Oh... and Spanos and his lame franchise will receive zero benefit (or $) from that.

As for the shots I've seen taken at Stan in this thread... I'm just gonna give this one warning. Please knock it off. Reread our Terms and Conditions if you are confused about this... pay special attention to #6. Mahalo.

6. This is a fan friendly site. We respect the team, players, and coaches. We respect cities; St. Louis and Los Angeles. Any derogatory terms toward other members, members of the Rams organization, or cities will not be tolerated. There are clearly grey areas but the goal is to keep excessive negative comments away from quality discussions.

Nothing I've read in this thread is in violation. Inconvenient facts were given that explained the issue at hand. History is what it is.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
6. This is a fan friendly site. We respect the team, players, and coaches. We respect cities; St. Louis and Los Angeles. Any derogatory terms toward other members, members of the Rams organization, or cities will not be tolerated. There are clearly grey areas but the goal is to keep excessive negative comments away from quality discussions.

Nothing I've read in this thread is in violation. Inconvenient facts were given that explained the issue at hand. History is what it is.

Thanks for posting #6.

I'll be the judge of what constitutes a violation.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That depends upon the people. Kroenke took the low road leaving St. Louis when it wasn't necessary. Call it "old and boring" but perhaps its karma in the future.
FreeVector-FreeVector-Broken-Record.jpg

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
It just is what it is. The stadium is both the Chargers and the Rams now.

That's like saying you own your brother's car because he lets you drive it. The Rams own the stadium. The chargers can keep renting the soccer stadium they can't fill for the next 30 years of they feel so inclined. The Rams are pretty much obligated to move in and play there even if they didn't want to. The Rams own it. The chargers are mercifully allowed to borrow it.

bnw

Pro Bowler
That's like saying you own your brother's car because he lets you drive it. The Rams own the stadium. The chargers can keep renting the soccer stadium they can't fill for the next 30 years of they feel so inclined. The Rams are pretty much obligated to move in and play there even if they didn't want to. The Rams own it. The chargers are mercifully allowed to borrow it.

Well the Chargers have sold out that small stadium. So their home games should be broadcast in LA which should help them gain fans although as someone said earlier winning is all it will take.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@bnw I was not aware that they had sold out the stadium. I amend my previous statement to read "that tiny stadium that lost any relevance that it may have had as soon as they agreed to occupy it..."

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
As someone who sat in many a seat watching the Rams in Anaheim most Ca fans are fair weather.....unless it's baseball.
If the Rams stink and the Chargers win they will gain some traction.

Yeah, no doubt. LA fans will stop showing up for any struggling team that isn't the Lakers or Dodgers. But what they won't do is switch allegiances if they've already chosen a team. At least not easily. It think it would take years of seasons like last year's (please god, no) combined with the Chargers not only winning but winning pretty for the for fanbases to even out.

It is entirely possible if both teams struggle or not they are outdrawn by USC.

That's entirely possible even if they don't struggle. USC looks like it's headed for another nice run - maybe not a Pete Carroll run, but you never know - and any time they look promising the Coliseum fills up like an overflowing bathtub. I was a student there during the Pete Carroll days and by about 2004 it was damned near impossible get into that stadium, even the lame bleacher seats next the peristyle.

USC fans are the perfect example of LA fans. If the team is good they'll show up and turn each game into a party, and poor opposing QBs have to listen to 90,000 people yelling "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" as loud as they can every third down. If the team isn't good, the diehards will still show up but most of the others will just figure out something better to do and wait for the team to get better. But they'll never switch allegiance.

You make a good point about the Chargers bring San Diegos team. They are. Just as people outside of So Cal didn't understand the impact when the Rams moved to Anaheim.....it wasn't LA.

Absolutely. We Angelenos are a proud and fierce people. Well not really, we're actually laid back as fuck. But goddammit if we don't dislike the OC. And we don't like San Diego either, whenever it is that we actually think about San Diego.
At any rate, Spanos is a royal tool. The people of San Diego didn't care enough to save them. Spanos wants out of a lease in San Diego to pay a lease in LA.
He is a dummy with a bad come over. I can't imagine anyone who spent time in SD, even someone not a charger fan like me, can do anything but loath Spanos.
He is constantly screwing up his team and is pissing on the Rams not letting them have LA.
F Spanos.

He got played. Like Stan or hate Stan, he absolutely destroyed Spanos. Spanos had 20 years as the only team in Southern California. If he'd ever made any serious inroads about moving to LA he would've totally had first dibs. To lose out the way he did is spectacular. He not only lost the majority of his 56-year-old fanbase by moving to a city they can't stand, he's also the B team in a market that was already saturated when the Rams made their splash a year before.

threesox84

Name
Greg
It's funny you mention this
I tried to look back on my life growing up in So Cal and remember who I knew that was a Charger fan - interestingly enough I too only knew ONE Charger fan.

View attachment 20036 View attachment 20037
View attachment 20038

Funny - I know exactly the same amount of Charger fans as you guys. One.

Not an exaggeration. At all. I know one guy -- and I'm a sports nerd, these are my people. I knew more fans of the Rams when they were in St. Louis than I did Charger fans.

threesox84

Name
Greg
Lots of people in LA like the Chargers.

Dude I'm new here and you're already one of my favorite posters so I'm not trying to go all contrarian on you and start a beef, but I do not at all agree with that.

I'm sure there are Charger fans here and that they'll become more noticeable as the team settles in, but I'm born and raised in LA and a huge sports fan -- at this point in time the Chargers are absolutely invisible. Just as invisible as they've ever been. None of my classmates in elementary, middle, high school, college, grad school, etc. identified themselves as Chargers fans. Subjective as hell, sure, but the only Charger fan I ever met was a friend of my brother's with whom I wound up playing on a rec league basketball team a few years back.

This is way, way too much information for this thread. Sorry for the book.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yeah, no doubt. LA fans will stop showing up for any struggling team that isn't the Lakers or Dodgers. But what they won't do is switch allegiances if they've already chosen a team. At least not easily. It think it would take years of seasons like last year's (please god, no) combined with the Chargers not only winning but winning pretty for the for fanbases to even out.

That's entirely possible even if they don't struggle. USC looks like it's headed for another nice run - maybe not a Pete Carroll run, but you never know - and any time they look promising the Coliseum fills up like an overflowing bathtub. I was a student there during the Pete Carroll days and by about 2004 it was damned near impossible get into that stadium, even the lame bleacher seats next the peristyle.

USC fans are the perfect example of LA fans. If the team is good they'll show up and turn each game into a party, and poor opposing QBs have to listen to 90,000 people yelling "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" as loud as they can every third down. If the team isn't good, the diehards will still show up but most of the others will just figure out something better to do and wait for the team to get better. But they'll never switch allegiance.

Absolutely. We Angelenos are a proud and fierce people. Well not really, we're actually laid back as freak. But goddammit if we don't dislike the OC. And we don't like San Diego either, whenever it is that we actually think about San Diego.

He got played. Like Stan or hate Stan, he absolutely destroyed Spanos. Spanos had 20 years as the only team in Southern California. If he'd ever made any serious inroads about moving to LA he would've totally had first dibs. To lose out the way he did is spectacular. He not only lost the majority of his 56-year-old fanbase by moving to a city they can't stand, he's also the B team in a market that was already saturated when the Rams made their splash a year before.
Excellent post.
I loved SD when I lived there.
Great city.
Loved to go to the 'Murph with cheap bleacher seats abs troll Padres fans.
In the early 90s when in school there I worked close to the stadium and met quite a few Charger players (along with Lee Hacksaw Hamilton and Johnny Rotten on the same day with 20 mins....twilight zone sort of day).
Anyway, for a lot of those years you could walk up and buy pretty decent tickets on game day.
You're right about the Dodgers and Lakers. It's a baseball and Laker town and always will be.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Dude I'm new here and you're already one of my favorite posters so I'm not trying to go all contrarian on you and start a beef, but I do not at all agree with that.

I'm sure there are Charger fans here and that they'll become more noticeable as the team settles in, but I'm born and raised in LA and a huge sports fan -- at this point in time the Chargers are absolutely invisible. Just as invisible as they've ever been. None of my classmates in elementary, middle, high school, college, grad school, etc. identified themselves as Chargers fans. Subjective as hell, sure, but the only Charger fan I ever met was a friend of my brother's with whom I wound up playing on a rec league basketball team a few years back.

This is way, way too much information for this thread. Sorry for the book.

No need to be sorry about giving an informative post. And contrarians are necessary for honest debate. My point is simply that the Chargers have sold out their stadium. Their time in San Diego is now irrelevant other than the fans they still draw from there. It takes time to build a new fanbase and unlike the Rams two year lead up to their move the Chargers were a last minute addition to the LA market. They are now the Los Angeles Chargers, again. Same as the Rams are now the Los Angeles Rams, again. The Chargers will get ample media coverage within LA which can only help build a fanbase. They start winning and they will have an ample fanbase. The real test isn't until the new stadium is built. If the Chargers outdraw the Rams in the new stadium then we have the answer. It won't be without precedent as the Raiders have already shown that the Rams can become the second fiddle in LA.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Great stuff. I went to a game in SD in of all seasons 1994. We were leaving LA and SD was in the midst of a 11-5 season. Even then there seemed to be more Rams fans there than Charger fans. I heard from friends that the last game we played in SD was the same.
I think the only time in my life I ever paid a lot of attention to who/when the Charger's where Playing was in the early '60's when I was in the Marine Corps, and the Charger's annual game against the Marine Corps Football Team from Camp Pendleton!! The Last time I went to one of those We Beat the Crap out of the Charger's!
( Well maybe a little in the "Air Corriel"/Dan Fauts Days:D)