Rams Change of Offensive Philosophy; Where We Go From Here

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
As we all have witnessed, the Rams are much less interested in spreading out the defense. We tried it early and the results were a 1-3 record. The spread offense just wasn't the answer through 4 games. Fisher stated we needed to run the ball which included personelle shifts. Zac Stacy becomes the starting RB, Kendricks becomes a big factor for all around solid play, Harkey gets into the action for his blocking and decent hands.

The results of this scheme change still stun me. In lamens terms, YAC Stacy, Lance Kendricks, Correy Harkey, and Brian Quick are playing better in the "Power O" than T. Austin, Cook, and Givens were playing in the "Spread Offense" They played very well against Jacksonville and Houston and there's little reason to revert back to the spread. It was too much for a first year cast and we were brutally one demensionsal. We were broken and now it appears we've been reforged. I posted an article earlier this week that stated the Rams found their identity and I agree.

There have been a couple mainstays in the Rams offense through 6 games. It's safe to say Bradford has been part of the solution through every game. He's the leader and he's playing better than ever. His QB rating is 90, best in the division. Austin Pettis in the Red Zone and looks more suited for the power O scheme. He's not a spread WR to a large degree.

Now here's what I hope to see going forward. Rams have the talent to do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball, the Power O is what's working in the present time. I hope to see a gradual merge between the spread and and power offenses. The more cards you have in your hand the better. Stacy will remain our #1 RB from here on out, IMO, but we need to sprinkle in Cook and Austin. Find ways to get then two the ball. I'm not opposed to Austin getting an expanded role in the running game and Cook lining up in the slot. That's a big curve ball for opposing defenses. If we can find that balance then the sky is the limit.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Re: Rams Change of Offensive Philosophy; Where We Go From He

Yep, combine the two. The talent is there. Could be very powerful.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

I think you will see more of what you want and envision tomorrow. Fisher and his staff can't be hard-headed enough to just go into Charlotte trying to pound the rock all day against that D. I think they will try and establish a run for the rest of the season but look for them to get the ball to Cook and TA a fair share. And look for some trickery this week to keep the Carolina D guessing.

I'd like to see them sprinkle in the hurry-up to utilize their "spread talent players" to really mix things up.

jap

Legend

Ramhusker said:
I think you will see more of what you want and envision tomorrow. Fisher and his staff can't be hard-headed enough to just go into Charlotte trying to pound the rock all day against that D. I think they will try and establish a run for the rest of the season but look for them to get the ball to Cook and TA a fair share. And look for some trickery this week to keep the Carolina D guessing.

I'd like to see them sprinkle in the hurry-up to utilize their "spread talent players" to really mix things up.

The whole point of establishing the rushing attack is to delay the pass rush and to suck the LB's and safeties closer, allowing nice things like play action passing. With the speed of both Jared and Lance, they can send either TE on a post pattern. Clearly, they are acutely aware of their failure to get Tavon in space where he is so deadly and are probably preparing to work this in. Chris Givens is always a deep threat, although last weekend's drop did not inspire confidence.

iced

mr.stlouis said:
Now here's what I hope to see going forward. Rams have the talent to do whatever they want on the offensive side of the ball, the Power O is what's working in the present time. I hope to see a gradual merge between the spread and and power offenses. The more cards you have in your hand the better. Stacy will remain our #1 RB from here on out, IMO, but we need to sprinkle in Cook and Austin. Find ways to get then two the ball. I'm not opposed to Austin getting an expanded role in the running game and Cook lining up in the slot. That's a big curve ball for opposing defenses. If we can find that balance then the sky is the limit.

schotty actually did this.

he put Jared Cook in with harkey and kendricks then motioned cook out of the backfield. The Big throw by bradford for 37+ yards to cook was on a similar play

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

iced said:
mr.stlouis said:

schotty actually did this.

he put Jared Cook in with harkey and kendricks then motioned cook out of the backfield. The Big throw by bradford for 37+ yards to cook was on a similar play

That's great feedback, everyone.

That's a perfect example, iced. Bradford stood tall and took a lick on that play, too. You can really feel this team is starting to work out the kinks and build confidence.

You really can't say enough about the impact of Stacy. When he runs the ball, I start counting missed tackles or somebody he over powered for and extra 2-3 yards. HUGE difference.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Oops! Didn't mean to do that again..

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

what happens when we face better run D's?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Stranger said:
what happens when we face better run D's?

This answer is simple but easier said than done. Adjustments and execution. Rams have lacked in both at different/same points in games. For example, we saw ATL crowding the line a lot in week 2. What did we do? We sure a hell didn't take the top off!!! That's not making the adjustment from a coaching stand point. Another example is Quick playing run on a passing down. That's execution. I don't care what defense we're playing, our offense has the tools to shred anybody. It's just a matter of our first year Ram players, including free agents, getting their heads screwed on straight.

We gotta play balanced and understand how to play with what we're given/seeing from opposing D's. That's it. This isn't like the past 5 years where we were talent deficient, but we ain't a vet team, either.

Our coaching staff is growing with the team, too. They're learning more of what we do well every week. If Carolina zeros in on Stacy, we gotta test the edges, via screens and out routes, still pound the rock to set up PA fakes and eventually take the top off. I fully anticipate Carolina to be aggressive. We gotta take advantage of that.