Rams center Tim Barnes hoping to build off first season as starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams center Tim Barnes hoping to build off first season as starter

By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...s-hoping-to-build-off-first-season-as-starter

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Last offseason was a long and difficult one for Los Angeles Rams center Tim Barnes.

Barnes was a restricted free agent but the Rams declined to give him a tender offer, which made him an unrestricted free agent. After a relatively long wait, Barnes visited the Kansas City Chiefs before signing back with the Rams on March 31.

But Barnes' new deal was just a one-year, $1 million contract that guaranteed only that he would be back in the unenviable position of searching for another job this offseason, if not sooner.

As it turned out, Barnes was able to win the starting job at center, and though he now goes into this offseason set to become an unrestricted free agent, this time he goes armed with a full season's worth of starting experience.

"Absolutely, I had a good year on film and there’s a lot of stuff out there [for teams]," Barnes said. "My name is out there for the teams and so I won’t be in that same position where I was last year where it’s kind of fishing or whatever where I wanted to stay here but you never know. Now, I still don’t know. We’ll just have to see."

Barnes earned the respect of teammates and coaches in the offseason after he came back to the Rams. He found himself embroiled in a three-person competition against draft picks Demetrius Rhaney and Barrett Jones, two younger options whom the Rams hoped would take a step forward to win the job. Ultimately, Barnes' experience and savvy won out and he earned the spot as Jones was released.

After appearing in 45 games, mostly on special teams, in his three previous seasons with the Rams, Barnes started all 16 games in 2015. He proved durable, playing 913 snaps, well over the 266 he'd played from 2012-2014. And the highlight of his season came against the Seattle Seahawks in Week 16 when he recovered a pair of fumbles to help preserve a 23-17 upset win.

It was all valuable experience that Barnes believes will make him better moving forward.

"I just think the more you play, the more comfortable you get," Barnes said. "You get more comfortable with the defenses, and seeing different blitzes and playing different players you get more confident and figure out how to play people differently. To me, that’s huge."

Of the many pending free agents the Rams have to deal with this offseason, only Barnes lands on the list among offensive linemen. That's largely because they spent five draft picks on linemen last year. Still, while Barnes had some good moments, he also had his share of struggles, and it wouldn't be a surprise if the Rams looked for an upgrade this offseason either in-house, outside or a combination of the two.

For his part, Barnes would like to return to the team that gave him his first starting opportunity.

"I think it would be really good to be able to come back," Barnes said. "What we’ve built this year, and all the guys are really close and all the guys are great guys. It’s an exciting time in our room so, hopefully, who knows what will happen but hopefully I’ll be a part of it."

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
He did ok but I would prefer a bigger more athletic type center.If we can get an upgrade and still keep him for depth that would be good.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fishers current 3 signed centers are Demetrius Rhaney, Eric Kush & Brian Folkerts. Those under contract centers do very little to comfort me. Tim Barnes was the BEST Rams center since Andy McCollum's 2007 season heyday.
Nick Leckey
Brett Romberg
Jason Brown
Hank Fraley
Tony Wragge
Robert Turner
Scott Wells

Please let the Rams resign Tim Barnes back real soon & finally keep this OL together for a period of time for a real change!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Please let the Rams resign Tim Barnes back real soon & finally keep this OL together for a period of time for a real change!

Agreed but only if the signing is within reason Bonifay. I think the Rams draft a center regardless this year and it will be an upgrade over Barnes, but yes they might need someone to hold it down while that draftee comes online.

I know some here love Barnes and I get it. But he's not ever going to be anything but average at best and with him being a FA the ball is in his court based on what he's looking for. I'll be very surprised if Snead pays him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed but only if the signing is within reason Bonifay. I think the Rams draft a center regardless this year and it will be an upgrade over Barnes, but yes they might need someone to hold it down while that draftee comes online.

I know some here love Barnes and I get it. But he's not ever going to be anything but average at best and with him being a FA the ball is in his court based on what he's looking for. I'll be very surprised if Snead pays him.

I never seen anything from Tim Barnes that would make me think that he has a unreasonable bone in his body. I see a good young healthy blue collar player here with high class stamped all over him with his feet planted firmly on the ground...nothing else. We could use another dozen just like him.

Tim Barnes started 16 games last season & played for only 700K. In 2014 Tim played for only 570K. Rams will have a ton of cap $$$ to sign Tim back up at a real reasonable contract. Rams paid Rodger Saffold $8.250 million to finish 4 games @ starting OG.....just saying.....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm cool with releasing this dude....Go after a real center like Mack....or a top rookie.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2016C.php

Max Tuerk, C, USC .............Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame ..................Isaac Seumalo, C, Oregon St.(maybe Sean Mannion comfort-zone)...........Dan Voltz*, C, Wisconsin ..................
Spencer Pulley, C, Vanderbilt.............
I like a dude outta Canada too, the one at the Senior Bowl....

Rams paid Rodger Saffold $8.250 million to finish 4 games @ starting OG.....just saying.....
Why you wanna ruin my weekend reminding me of this.....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I never seen anything from Tim Barnes that would make me think that he has a unreasonable bone in his body. I see a good young healthy blue collar player here with high class stamped all over him with his feet planted firmly on the ground...nothing else. We could use another dozen just like him.

Tim Barnes started 16 games last season & played for only 700K. In 2014 Tim played for only 570K. Rams will have a ton of cap $$$ to sign Tim back up at a real reasonable contract. Rams paid Rodger Saffold $8.250 million to finish 4 games @ starting OG.....just saying.....

You're probably right and I don't expect him to push for a big payday or anything. But money does funny things to people so I never assume anything when it comes to FA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm cool with releasing this dude....Go after a real center like Mack....or a top rookie.

Boehm's the guy I want them to snap up. Get the Mizzou kid! Squatty power center who will be a perfect NFC West fit.

But yeah, there are quite a few options at the position and the Rams almost certainly will take one. I just pray the plan doesn't become "let's rely on Rhainey."

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Sorry LACHAMP46 I forgot you live in La La land where the weekends start a day earlier than the rest of us:D. Yep that 2014 UFA contract on Saffold was a real blunder:poop: & needs to be covered up & :death: ASAP.

I am thinking that Snead will try to get a serious young center prospect in here in 2016 to back up the resigned Tim Barnes too. Rhaney has had two training camps & pre seasons & one full season to show his stuff now....From what I have seen he needs to be replaced ASAP. Those two third day selections is where I expect Snead to secure a young talented center.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
He did ok but I would prefer a bigger more athletic type center.If we can get an upgrade and still keep him for depth that would be good.

giphy.gif

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Barnes is certainly not our biggest weakness on O, is he?

Nevertheless, he might well be the victim of an upgrade.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see new faces as starters at several positions in '16.

QB
TE
WR
RG (maybe Wichmann, maybe another)
LDE
OLB
MLB
CB
PK

These changes range from highly probable to very unlikely, of course.

My point? Nine of current 23 starters are far from locks for '16.

Some due to pending FA, some due to plain old disappointing play.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Barnes is certainly not our biggest weakness on O, is he?

Nevertheless, he might well be the victim of an upgrade.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see new faces as starters at several positions in '16.

QB
TE
WR
RG (maybe Wichmann, maybe another)
LDE
OLB
MLB
CB
PK

These changes range from highly probable to very unlikely, of course.

My point? Nine of current 23 starters are far from locks for '16.

Some due to pending FA, some due to plain old disappointing play.

My position is well known about Tim Barnes as starter. What needs to be upgraded is the reserve center. That's where the attention needs to go not at replacing Barnes.

Just from the past seasons team because I have no ideal what will be this NEW Rams team will have.
Starters
#1-QB (replace Case Keenum)
#2-WR Vacancy Hole from Brian Quick)
#3-MLB (replace JL)
#4-TE (replace Jared Cook)
#5-DE (replace Chris Long)
#6-Kicker Vacancy Hole from Greg Zuerlein

Reserves
#1-QB (replace Nick Foles)
#2-WR Vacancy Hole from Stedman Bailey & Wes Welker
#3-OC (replace Demetrius Rhaney/Frank Kush/Brian Folkerts)
#4-DT Vacancy Hole from Nick Fairley