Rams CB E.J. Gaines ready to help neutralize Cardinals WRs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...gaines-ready-to-help-neutralize-cardinals-wrs

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- This is probably as good a week as any for E.J. Gaines to return to the Los Angeles Rams secondary, and it looks like it will happen.

Gaines has spent the last two weeks practicing in pads and was not even given an injury designation on Friday's report, an indication that there is not much doubt he will play at University of Phoenix Stadium on Sunday. He'll face anArizona Cardinals team with a loaded receiving corps, a group highlighted byLarry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, John and Jaron Brown. And he'll look to help a defense fresh off allowing 405 passing yards to Tampa Bay Buccaneersquarterback Jameis Winston.

"As many DBs as you can have out there is better for us, considering how many wide receivers they have that can play," Gaines said of the Cardinals. "Just making sure we can match up the right way and compete with these guys."

upload_2016-9-30_19-58-5.png

The Rams are 17th in passing yards allowed through the first three weeks, a ranking largely affected by a 37-32 win in Week 3. The unit entered the season shorthanded, with cornerback Janoris Jenkins (New York Giants) and safetyRodney McLeod (Philadelphia Eagles) both departing in free agency. And they've missed Gaines as the outside corner who would line up oppositeTrumaine Johnson, with Coty Sensabaugh and Troy Hill doing their best to fill in.

The Rams are a yard shy of allowing three 100-yard receivers over the last two weeks, though they're tied for first with 15 pass breakups.

Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams said his safeties "have really come a long way" and noted that his secondary as a whole faces a tall task each week, because the Rams put a lot of pressure on them by defending the run so aggressively. It's why Winston threw the ball 58 times against them.

"You can get hung up on all the analytics you want, but when you force somebody to throw it 58 times in a game, it’s because they can’t run it," Williams said. "Those guys [the secondary] have a lot of heat on them at all times, and this league is a throwing league. There are some teams that’ll still try to pound you. One of them is coming up, the Arizona Cardinals. I have so much respect for [Cardinals coach] Bruce Arians. I’ve gone against him for so many different years at so many different spots. We’re going to have to play the run really hard, and they’ve got a quarterback that can take shots on you down the field.”

That would be Carson Palmer, whom Gaines will help try to neutralize.

Gaines started 15 games as the No. 2 corner during his rookie year in 2014, then spent all of 2015 recovering from foot surgery. This summer, he's dealt with a nagging hamstring injury and then an ailment in his left thigh, which has kept him out of action since the third preseason game. Gaines said he was "pretty close" to playing last Sunday and feels even closer now.

"It was just kind of a game-time decision, whatever [Rams coach Jeff] Fisher wanted," Gaines said. "It’s the same thing this week, as far as practicing and everything, just kind of what Coach Fisher and the training staff came up with for me. I'm just waiting for my chance."

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Gaines back gives Williams more options with some of his blitz packages.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I couldn't be happier! If he stays healthy he can be our 1cb and that would make Tru our 2nd cb. This would be like last year with Jenkins as our #1 and Tru performing like an all pro because he knows QB are going to test him as the #2.

TexasRam

Legend
Love me some Gaines.

I think it takes him a full half or possibly a full game to get in rhythm. But once he gets there our D will really get stingy.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have Hill allowed a touchdown yet. I like the guy he tackled very good for a corner. If Gaines can come back and play good we shouod be solid. Hopefully Trumaine can pick his play up because he has been slacking.

jap

Legend
I want to see EJ progress even more. He has not been a ball-hawk since he;s been with us, but he us fundamentally sound and can get even better. I am hoping he can eventually eclipse Jenks' highest plateau with us and evolve into a true shutdown CB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've never been excited about the inactive list, but that is one list I would like to see CB Coty Sensabaugh on each and every Sunday!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This makes me happy. Gaines covers so much more of the field than some realize. He is an absolute ball magnet. Absolutely love that dudes game. Please stay healthy!!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Have Hill allowed a touchdown yet. I like the guy he tackled very good for a corner. If Gaines can come back and play good we shouod be solid. Hopefully Trumaine can pick his play up because he has been slacking.
I don't think Tru has been slacking , they had him playing deep last game because they couldn't allow a td. He has not been tested much this year because teams know he an make plays on the ball. With Gaines and Tru on the outside I am very comfortable trusting our defense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think Tru has been slacking , they had him playing deep last game because they couldn't allow a td. He has not been tested much this year because teams know he an make plays on the ball. With Gaines and Tru on the outside I am very comfortable trusting our defense.

He's also been drawing the top matchup with opposing offenses every week. Last year that was Jenks. It's also why the Rams took a franchise/wait-and-see approach with Tru, to see how he'd fare vs the best and whether he deserves elite corner casheesh.

lockdnram21

Legend
He's also been drawing the top matchup with opposing offenses every week. Last year that was Jenks. It's also why the Rams took a franchise/wait-and-see approach with Tru, to see how he'd fare vs the best and whether he deserves elite corner casheesh.
I know it's early but I don't think Tru will be retained.. Think we draft cb early next year.. 2nd rd wr and 3rd cb

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gaines is one of the better one-on-one tacklers we have on D. That's some really good news for this week.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isnt he getting paid like 15 million this yr

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Micheal Floyd been crap all season, even talk of him getting benched. So we better be aware of both Brown's