Rams, Cardinals took opposite approaches

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/XnUJd16.png[/wrapimg]Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/77363/rams-cardinals-took-opposite-approaches" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/ ... approaches</a>

The St. Louis Rams said they would rather sign a couple big-money free agents than several mid-priced ones.

Quality over quantity was the rationale.

That approach helps explain why the Rams rank sixth among NFL teams in contractual commitments for unrestricted free agents signed from other teams this offseason despite landing just two of them in Jake Long and Jared Cook.

Maximum potential contract value can be misleading, but in general, the more aggressive teams will commit larger total dollar values toward free agents. As the chart shows, St. Louis ranks relatively high in total dollar values despite signing fewer UFAs than any other team ranked among the top 10.

ESPN.com's John Clayton takes a closer look in his column Sunday. While the Rams focused their UFA resources narrowly, the Arizona Cardinals added a long list of players at relatively low cost. Clayton liked the approach from a value standpoint.

"Three winners emerged from the post-frenzy shopping market -- Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee," Clayton writes. "Based on playing time from last year, I'd give the Cardinals the slight edge from the post-March 17 market."

The chart below, updated from the version published here March 27, lists playing time and contract information for all the UFA players Arizona has signed or re-signed this offseason.

bjCQ3Lt.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sando clearly does not like the Rams. Almost everything he writes about them is slanted. Even when he is being somewhat complimentary, it comes off as tongue in cheek. Meanwhile, he wears his Seadderall Seacock admiration on his sleeve. Biased journalism. Plain and simple.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Faceplant said:
Sando clearly does not like the Rams. Almost everything he writes about them is slanted. Even when he is being somewhat complimentary, it comes off as tongue in cheek. Meanwhile, he wears his Seadderall Seacock admiration on his sleeve. Biased journalism. Plain and simple.

Pretty much, the more I read from Sando the less I like him.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
bluecoconuts said:
Faceplant said:

Pretty much, the more I read from Sando the less I like him.

I don't see any anti-Rams slant but he isn't very good at what he does IMO.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Y'all need to lay off m'boy Mikey. Yes he's a seadderall homer, but he's one of the more objective guys out there and he covers our division very well. And it's not really as though we haven't been a joke for about a decade now -- right? Last year made people take notice. This year will tip the scales in our favor and make us the media darlings.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It looks like the Seadderall thing is gonna stick. I wonder if any of the media guys will have enough balls to use that one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
It looks like the Seadderall thing is gonna stick. I wonder if any of the media guys will have enough balls to use that one.
Maybe Faulk would.
He walks a fine line already.

Sent via Tapatalk2.