Rams cap as of today

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
This is what I was talking about in another thread. The reason the Rams are waiting on Fowler and Goff is because of not having the cap.

As of today, the Rams cap is about $1.6M which isn't really enough to make any moves. If they had extended Fowler or Goff this year they would have had to release any number of players. With guys like Talib, Brockers and possibly Peters that would clear enough cap space to allocate to Fowler and Goff. Next year they could have as much as $43M in cap space when contracts expire. Obviously, many of those will get extended, but I'm using it as a point of reference. That for purposes of cap management you need to plan and time your extensions of key players.

This is why I really think the Seahawks are being irresponsible in their cap management by pursuing Clowney who obviously is only interested in breaking the bank and doesn't care who gets cut to pay for him. It's why as much as I dislike the Cowboys, I'm completely on their side in regards to Zeke. There is a limit of what you can pay any single player before it begins to impact the team negatively.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This is what I was talking about in another thread. The reason the Rams are waiting on Fowler and Goff is because of not having the cap.

As of today, the Rams cap is about $1.6M which isn't really enough to make any moves. If they had extended Fowler or Goff this year they would have had to release any number of players. With guys like Talib, Brockers and possibly Peters that would clear enough cap space to allocate to Fowler and Goff. Next year they could have as much as $43M in cap space when contracts expire. Obviously, many of those will get extended, but I'm using it as a point of reference. That for purposes of cap management you need to plan and time your extensions of key players.

This is why I really think the Seahawks are being irresponsible in their cap management by pursuing Clowney who obviously is only interested in breaking the bank and doesn't care who gets cut to pay for him. It's why as much as I dislike the Cowboys, I'm completely on their side in regards to Zeke. There is a limit of what you can pay any single player before it begins to impact the team negatively.

They can extend Goff today if they wish, they just have to prorate everything to next year and beyond. As for Fowler, they could extend him long term and actually get some CAP relief this season, but they may be waiting to make sure he's the real deal after last seasons slow start. Fowler may also just price himself out of a Rams uniform if he has an outstanding season. jmo.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would you extend a player you already have under contract only to push the liability down the road? Goff knows he will get paid so what is the problem? Everyone is anxious for him to get money the team doesn't have to give him. It's only a problem for everyone except Goff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams won't have to cut a single player to resign/extend anybody they wish to. We've gone over this with you in multiple threads now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Why would you extend a player you already have under contract only to push the liability down the road? Goff knows he will get paid so what is the problem? Everyone is anxious for him to get money the team doesn't have to give him. It's only a problem for everyone except Goff.

Can't say I understand what you're getting at. Wrapping up Goff is about his and our long term security. Like paying Gurley before it was absolutely necessary, or avoiding the mess Jerry Jones is creating with Ezekiel Elliot, the Rams are better off signing Goff as early as possible to keep costs down and to keep his QB happy if that's what he and his agent want. The Rams could give Goff a huge signing bonus including a mountain of guaranteed money on an extended contract tomorrow and not have it count until the following season, it happens all the time. When there is more time on everyones hands, we are likely to hear about his extension, but I don't think anyones all that worried about it getting done, after all, Goff won't even be starting his 5'th year option until next season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Overthecap.com has them at 6M under. That was for the top 51 coming into today. It will not change much at all after today's cuts.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Overthecap.com has them at 6M under. That was for the top 51 coming into today. It will not change much at all after today's cuts.

Spotrac has them now at $2,074,694. in available CAP with our new 53.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Spotrac has them now at $2,074,694. in available CAP with our new 53.
Curious how accurate that site is. They have teams way over the cap which is not possible.

TB listed at 18M over. Overthecap has them at 4M under.

I trust Overthecap.... Their numbers have always jived with news reports in the past.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Curious how accurate that site is. They have teams way over the cap which is not possible.

I trust Overthecap.... Their numbers have always jived with news reports in the past.

I assume most of the discrepancies are because it was only a couple hours ago that these cuts were all registered, and they are busy calculating the new numbers, ... but I have no opinion on which site is ultimately most accurate.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You have to be under the cap when the new league year started back in March. So how could teams be 15 or 18M over?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You have to be under the cap when the new league year started back in March. So how could teams be 15 or 18M over?

Well, ... I just looked at TB on Spotrac, and they appear to be almost $3.mil over the Cap, but they are still counting 62 players, so not all the cuts have been applied yet.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Things are in flux and not every roster is updated right away. Give it a day or two. But a good number for us is right around 1.5-2 million in space after we put 2 million on IR today.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The top 51 only applies to offseason through TC. After preseason you go by the cap period. They have over $5M in dead cap and over $2M tied up in injured players.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, ... I just looked at TB on Spotrac, and they appear to be almost $3.mil over the Cap, but they are still counting 62 players, so not all the cuts have been applied yet.

You only count the top 51 at this point... Actually will change to 53.

That is why that site makes no sense.

Look at overthecap.com