Rams can't wait any more for Greg Robinson to take next step

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
If I was in Snead business I would be working real hard to ensure that when my team has a top five pick I would not be in a position to have to consider such a thing in this modern NFL of today. At this point in time it's a good rule of thumb for me that if your looking @ drafting in the top five then your positions of interest should be QB-DE-DT & CB with a Fisher/Williams coached team. I am not a fan of selecting WR/RB/LB/TE or Safety with a very high draft pick.

Exactly to my point, a left tackle is too easy to find, there is no need to ever take one in the top 5 unless you are stacked at every other position.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Sorry but eliminating positions just based on preference and not taking the best player is a sure fire way to ruin a team. You take the best player available and if you can marry that with a position of need you're winning.

Best player available? he was a underclassmen LT for Auburn, a team that played every down from the shotgun and required very few pass blocking skills. He was actually the second ranked LT in that draft , the rams just took a chance and I think the offense would be in a better place right now if they went with any of those WR, either way I see what you saying but sorry I wont be convinced ever that a LT should be a top 3 pick.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, we have to acknowledge that EVERYONE had Robinson as a top 5 pick and one of the best LT prospects since Pace - meaning if he ends up busting, it wasn't just the Rams that were wrong about him - it was probably 90% of the football world.

Secondly, the guy was so young that you really have to use his age rather than his number of years in the NFL - as an example of this, Rob Havenstein is actually 5 months older than Greg Robinson.

If Robinson doesn't drastically improve by the end of his fourth season, he will still only be 25 years old - the major drawback in that scenario is whether to use the 5th year option on him - but my point is, even at 26 years old you can develop into a great football player.

On top of all that, we got Isaiah Battle last year in the supplemental draft - a guy that was once thought of as a potential first round pick. That's our GRob insurance.

I personally believe Robinson will prove to be at least average this year and we will finally stop talking about him in a negative light.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Best player available? he was a underclassmen LT for Auburn, a team that played every down from the shotgun and required very few pass blocking skills. He was actually the second ranked LT in that draft , the rams just took a chance and I think the offense would be in a better place right now if they went with any of those WR, either way I see what you saying but sorry I wont be convinced ever that a LT should be a top 3 pick.

Congrats to you! Please do not ever apply for Sneads job just keep doing what the rest of us are and root for our Rams in the fall!

tempests

Hall of Fame
Even though Jake had ended up 3 seasons on the IR in a row but the fact is the overall size in real number of games that, Jake had played in his 6 seasons in the NFL was huge. Jake had 112 starts & ONLY missed 7 games. IMO, that argument of being placed on the IR very late in the 3 seasons carries very little weight in the plans to have Jake replaced in 2014 or even 2015 with a 20/21 yr old OL'er like GRob.

No, he didn't miss many games, mainly due to the timing of his injuries. But he did suffer them in successive seasons and when it comes to vet lineman, that's a problem that doesn't improve with age. They knew Long's medical condition better than anyone and opted to take a LT 2nd overall. That tells me how confident they were about that position.

Let's not forget Long only had eight months to recover. An abbreviated timetable which put a lot of pressure on him and his surgically repaired knee.

I have a question for you.......Now tell me how the same Ram Org would plan for Rodger Saffold to start @ OLG this season (ongoing currently) after missing 31 games in his last 5 seasons (less time) & then hold Jake Long to a different measure stick when missing only 7 games in 6 seasons with a plan for dumping Jake for the very young green GRob to take the veteran ex all pro Jake out of the OLT post midway through his sign contract early?

Long was their plan A but due to his injury history they knew, or should've known they needed a darn good plan B. Why him and not Saffold, probably because a team can survive the loss of a guard, but losing a starting LT can be crippling.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If he doesnt show improvement in year 3 then I will start to consider GRob as a potential bust.
An improvement in technique(especially in pass protection) and a nice decrease in penalties will show me that he is on the right track.

jap

Legend
I personally believe Robinson will prove to be at least average this year and we will finally stop talking about him in a negative light.

I expect to see increasing streaks of athletic jaw droppers as well from the big guy. I just hope the commentators are savvy enough about OL play to catch them.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
If he doesnt show improvement in year 3 then I will start to consider GRob as a potential bust.
An improvement in technique(especially in pass protection) and a nice decrease in penalties will show me that he is on the right track.
I just want to see improvement.
I see no reason why we won't.
The skill set is there.