Rams Can Still Win with Schottenheimer/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He won't notice. This is what all articles look like to him now:

Rams Can Auburn with Auburn
By Randy Auburn

http://www.101sports.com/2014/12/14/auburn-auburn-auburn-auburn.html

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn. Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn.

Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn Auburn.

Auburn Auburn Auburn?

Auburn.
Funniest reply in a long time. Love Memphis but seems like a perfect answer.

fancents86

Starter
My biggest gripes with Shotty:
1. He will make a few genius plays that work and gain big yardage, then aborts the mission and plays vanilla.
2. Once we get behind in games, he goes conservative and then we never obtain the lead again.
3. Where has Bailey been all season? Why is Cook still "blocking"? Tavon still has no role except trick plays.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I heard Randy talking about this and he said the Rams go down field (more than 20 yards) like 5th most of all the teams! Anyway, if so, the completions % was like 1/3 and that's not good! Guessing that's due to our qb's being who they are. Surprising stat I'd say!
Wait, is the state "avg drives of 20yards or more"? And, we're in the top 5, or the bottom 5 in these drives of this length?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1. He will make a few genius plays that work and gain big yardage, then aborts the mission and plays vanilla.
2. Once we get behind in games, he goes conservative and then we never obtain the lead again.
3. Where has Bailey been all season? Why is Cook still "blocking"? Tavon still has no role except trick plays.
Let me preface this by saying I don't think Schotty is infallible, and I do think there are some things that he could do that would make me happy. That said, I'd like to give my input into your gripes (of which I have no problem). This isn't an apologetic response for Schotty. Just some information I've gleaned after listening to other Professionals in the league.

1. All of his plays are designed to gain big yardage. Some are viewed as more innovative (they're not) because they look cool. Like double-reverses and deep posts. And when they don't call a bunch of those per game, it looks like he's not trying or has stopped trying. That's just not the case. I say this because *nobody* on this board knows what the play call is, how it's supposed to be executed, and whether or not it got blown up or broke down or one of our backups missed a read, or one of our lineman blew his assignment. Unless you have a guy like Manning or Rodgers, you're kind of limited as to what you can do, and making up for that deficiency with trickery only works so many times.

2. That's how most coaches play the odds. Especially Fisher - who has some input on how the scheme is implemented at all times. I assume you meant that if we lose a lead we once had, we don't gain it back. I'd more put that on the defense than the offense, because leads are supposed to be held. Once momentum swings like that in a game, you need a decent QB to lead the battle. List all of the great QBs Schotty's had to work with lately and how often he's had the good one. It's like trying to orchestrate a great defensive scheme without a middle linebacker or edge rushers. John Fassel was asked yesterday how to implement a good offensive scheme, and his response was, "Have good players. It's as simple as that." We do have some good players, but let's be honest. A lot of them are injured, and all of them are young. Which is why Demoff just said that he doesn't want to have the youngest team in the league anymore.

3. Bailey has been suspended, is a young player, and is still growing into the scheme. All of us should be aware of how young players come along as the season grows on. We see it all the time. He did himself no favors by getting suspended and banned from the facilities this year, but he's also only one player. Cook is blocking because most (if not all) plays are designed to go one of two ways. Run or pass. If you keep him off the field in favor of Kendricks, don't you think teams will get the idea that maybe we're prone to run it more often than pass it? Similarly, if you trot Cook out there only on pass plays, aren't you kind of tipping your hand? And Tavon is also only one player. Forget about where he was drafted. Fassel also said, when asked about Tavon in particular, that you have to give him plays, but you can't showcase him at the expense of the offensive philosophy or at the expense of other players. He's a good playmaker, and it's a good idea to get him the ball in space, but the defenses we've played this year haven't gone into the game saying, "You know what, whenever their most dangerous receiver comes into the huddle ... let's go ahead and give him some space." Plays are designed for Austin all the time. He's had over 450 snaps this year. Whether or not he gets the ball isn't incumbent upon Schotty. He only draws them up. It's up to the QB to get him the ball. And now we're back to how important it is to have one that can find him at all times. Where's he at?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Let me preface this by saying I don't think Schotty is infallible, and I do think there are some things that he could do that would make me happy.
That's one of the things I hate when it comes to big arguments on members of the Rams. It tends to polarize into thinking someone is worthless vs. someone is perfect. The former is possible (I don't think anyone would argue the Rams got value from the Eric Crouch pick), but the latter is not.

Even the greatest players on this team had flaws or things they could do better. Warner, Youngblood, Dickerson, whoever. All had flaws.

I just argue that Schotty gets a lot more vitriol than he deserves because it's almost like hating on him has become cool.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just argue that Schotty gets a lot more vitriol than he deserves because it's almost like hating on him has become cool.
I don't know if that's the case in as much as the buck typically stops with a coordinator by default. I argue that a more expansive view needs to be taken when something isn't working and we shouldn't be so quick to play "pin the blame on the coordinator." There's a fine line between being a successful coordinator and being a bad one in this league. I've seen many coordinators flat out fail in one place, and then put together good schemes at another. Spags in NY and Spags in N.O. Sherman in GB, and Sherman in Houston. Sporano in Miami, and Sporano in NYJ. Cameron in San Diego, Cameron in Miami, Cameron in Baltimore. McDaniels here, McDaniels in NE. They all need the players and the time to successfully implement their schemes without losing their key players. It's science, but it doesn't involve rockets.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I don't know if that's the case in as much as the buck typically stops with a coordinator by default. I argue that a more expansive view needs to be taken when something isn't working and we shouldn't be so quick to play "pin the blame on the coordinator." There's a fine line between being a successful coordinator and being a bad one in this league. I've seen many coordinators flat out fail in one place, and then put together good schemes at another. Spags in NY and Spags in N.O. Sherman in GB, and Sherman in Houston. Sporano in Miami, and Sporano in NYJ. Cameron in San Diego, Cameron in Miami, Cameron in Baltimore. McDaniels here, McDaniels in NE. They all need the players and the time to successfully implement their schemes without losing their key players. It's science, but it doesn't involve rockets.
Doesn't Schottenheimer's resume' paint a picture of mediocrity though? The high point of which seems to be the back-to-back AFC Championship games.

On the one hand, one could say he deserves credit for those results. On the other hand, one could say that defenses just dared the Jets to pass and left that end of the game exploitable.

Which, a good coach will exploit so I think he does deserve some credit. It's the follow up years that deflate that credit IMO. To me, it wasn't Schotty calling a good passing game, he was just handed a loaded deck and took advantage. Other than that, he's been very mediocre from what I can see.

I think there's a chance that circumstance has hamstrung his efforts and bringing him back will likely be what happens and is what's best for the team but I have more doubts about him as the weeks go by.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I think almost any offensive system can be successful with the right personnel. I think Schottenheimer is a fine coordinator and play caller given the right circumstances. However, I think the mark of a great offensive play caller is one that can see his teams short comings and adjust in a way that the team still produces and scores. I just don't believe Schotty has the ability to do that on a consistent basis.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Wait, is the state "avg drives of 20yards or more"? And, we're in the top 5, or the bottom 5 in these drives of this length?
What he said was that the Rams ranked 5th in attempted passes of 20 or more yards. Surprised it was that high of a number since it seems like they don't go deep hardly ever! They don't complete many so I guess why they don't seem to be that aggressive!

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
That's one of the things I hate when it comes to big arguments on members of the Rams. It tends to polarize into thinking someone is worthless vs. someone is perfect. The former is possible (I don't think anyone would argue the Rams got value from the Eric Crouch pick), but the latter is not.

Even the greatest players on this team had flaws or things they could do better. Warner, Youngblood, Dickerson, whoever. All had flaws.

Jack Youngblood wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Jack Youngblood wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence!
True, but while he was as close to perfect as you were going to get, he wasn't QUITE perfect.

Which I don't hold against him. The guy was my football hero growing up.

lockdnram21

Legend

How can u blame Schotty for Tavon having no role besides trick plays? That's his job he's not a good route runner and can't beat press man. U want him to become DJAX or A Brown but I don't think he will become that

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Mental note: Visit X's house, slightly misalign each picture when he isn't looking.

This went quickly from AOTN to LOL to full on coughing...

Thanks a lot, man...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
True, but while he was as close to perfect as you were going to get, he wasn't QUITE perfect.

Which I don't hold against him. The guy was my football hero growing up.
Why you wanna hate on Youngblood like this? He kick your puppy or sumptin?