Rams can make the Playoffs without DIV help

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, I really do.

Especially in this "video game" era, any team that can manage to play defense is really that much more special. I mean, the 9ers aren't a BAD defense and they gave up 24 pts to Oakland at home. Now, granted, Oakland was at home, but still...

Colt McCoy and the Washington O isn't BAD. The week before they put up 400 yards and 3TDs on the Colts in a loss.

And the Rams went INTO Washington and SHUT. THEM. OUT.

In 2014, you just don't see back to back shutouts. Heck, you almost never see a shutout. Even the top defenses still give up *some* points...

So, yeah, I'm loving that this D is finding it's groove.

Now, here's the question. With Stanton and Fitzgerald a little gimpy and the AZ running game not exactly where they want it to be on a short week on the road, will AZ be able to do what Denver couldn't?

The only two teams that have been able to score on us since we beat Denver have been San Diego and KC, both games on the road.

I really hope this D keeps this up because they've been an absolute JOY to watch lately!

Arizona cannot run for shit, they rely on the pass.

And what has happened to teams that rely on the pass when they play the Rams lately? (OK well not the Chargers)

They don't score a lot.

So I see this as another win for the Rams because AZ doesn't have Rivers under center and I think he is perhaps the most under appreciated QB of this era. If I was Snead and the Chargers called and said "give us your first and second for the next two years for Rivers" I would do that SO fast.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

No offense to Selassie or anyone else who's posted this video or an image related to it, but I'll be glad when it's pretty certain the Rams are either in or out (most likely the latter, the team's made their own bed, particularly with the Dallas loss) and that reference goes away. ;)

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
If Seattle loses out don't we go ahead of them? Since we play them the last game we would have the head to head matchup yes?

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
While I'd love to see the playoffs, 9-7 and knocking Seattle out of contention would be just fine with me.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
If Seattle loses out don't we go ahead of them? Since we play them the last game we would have the head to head matchup yes?

We'd be ahead of Seattle but if Dallas and Detroit each win one game, and looking at their schedule they will, they'll be the Wild Cards.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I used the ESPN playoff machine that has the built in tie breaking calculations...

You are a crazy crazy man, @Mackeyser . And I DIG it!!!!

Thanks for this thread, that question has been sitting in my craw for days, and I just didn't want to dig up the tiebreakers to find the answers.

(y)

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Here is how I see it based upon the playoff predictor on NFL.com website.

Week 15:
RAMS beat Cardinals
Vikings beat Lions
Seahawks - 49ers (does not effect us for wildcard spot other than seeding)
Eagles beat Cowboys

Week 16:
RAMS beat Giants
Bears beat Lions
Cardinals beat Seahawks
Colts beat Cowboys

Week 17:
RAMS beat Seahawks
Packers beat Lions
Redskins beat Cowboys

If my calculations are correct, the is how the NFC would end up:
No. 1 Seed - Green Bay (Bye)
No. 2 Seed - Arizona (Bye)

No. 3 Seed - Philadelphia vs. No. 6 Seed - Seattle
No. 4 Seed - Carolina vs. No. 5 Seed - St. Louis

If everything stays the same but the Seahawks beat the Cardinals in Week 16, Philadelphia would go to the No. 2 Seed, Arizona would go to the No. 3 Seed, Seattle would jump to the No. 5 Seed and the RAMS would drop to the No. 6 Seed.

I worked this through the NFL.com Playoff Predictor. Here is the link: http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture/predictor?campaign=Facebook_pp

Yep, worked for me too. Tell me now, is this or is this not a beautiful thing!!

upload_2014-12-9_10-54-24.png

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Week 16:
RAMS beat Giants
Bears beat Lions
Cardinals beat Seahawks
Colts beat Cowboys

Playing with the playoff predictor, that Cardinals / Seahawks game doesn't seem to have a bearing on the Rams making the playoffs or not.

ALSO interesting, if there is a 3 way tie-breaker with San Fran, Seattle and the Rams, the Rams still make the playoffs. So if Seattle loses out and the Rams win out (along with Detroit and Dallas losing out), then San Fran and St. Louis make the playoffs and Seattle goes home.

Before you suggest how absurd this is (and it kinda is), just look at Seattle's remaining games. Not a gimme in the bunch.

Week 15 hosting San Fran
Week 16 @ Cards
Week 17 hosting Rams.

Last edited:

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Bottom line - the Lions and Cowboys have to lose out and we have to win out. Long shot, but it's possible.

jap

Legend
It doesn't really matter to me whether we get in or not. This team isn't ready to do any serious post season damage without a true QB behind the center. If we get in we will have a petty moral victory, but we won't last long against the better playoff teams with their defenses locked and focused on our offense's strengths & weaknesses. It should be interesting to see us in post season nonetheless.