Rams can become ‘special,’ Long says/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams can become ‘special,’ Long says
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_c638acf8-6f3d-56db-af17-e88dc7eae62c.html

In the wake of the Rams’ 52-0 clubbing of the Oakland Raiders, playing the “what if” game is tempting.

Over the past seven weeks, the Rams have defeated NFL powers Seattle, San Francisco and Denver. They nearly beat playoff contenders Arizona and San Diego. The last thing the Raiders are is a playoff contender, but 52-point victories don’t come around that often.

The Rams continue to show they are a team on the verge of a breakout, but the won-loss record still reads 5-7.

“You are what your record says you are, because that’s how the games play out,” defensive end Chris Long said. “But I do believe we have something special in this locker room. And I do believe we’re building something.

“There’s a lot of people that we’ve heard on the outside say ‘same old this, same old that.’ But when you know what we have in this locker room, you hear that and you’re like: No way. We’re building something special.

“You have your ups and downs on the way but it’ll make us better. From here on out, all we can control is every Sunday trying to get a win.”

The third season for the Jeff Fisher-Les Snead regime is down to its final four games. The Rams play at Washington (3-9) this Sunday, followed by home games against Arizona (9-3) and the New York Giants (3-9), and then there’s a season-ending trip to Seattle (8-4).

Even if the Rams were to sweep all four teams, a 9-7 finish almost certainly won’t get them in the playoffs. Not with three 8-4 teams (Seattle, Dallas, and Detroit), and a 7-5 squad (San Francisco) all fighting for two wild-card playoff berths behind division leaders Arizona, Philadelphia, Green Bay and NFC South co-leaders Atlanta and New Orleans.

And despite impressive single-game performances, the Rams have yet to win two games in a row. The team hasn’t posted back-to-back victories since late in the 2013 season and has not won more than three in a row at any time since Fisher arrived as head coach and Snead as general manager in 2012.

“We’re going to go out and try to win this (Washington) game,” Fisher said. “We’ve got to go on the road again. We’re going to go out and do whatever it takes to win this game. If we’re fortunate enough to do that, I guess I can stand up here with a smile on my face and say: ‘We won two in a row.’”

The Rams played about as flawless a first half as is possible in piling up a 38-0 lead against Oakland. The method may have been different, but the domination was as complete as anything ever seen by the Greatest Show on Turf teams. Now, how do you bottle that?

A Rams 2014 draft class that looked dubious in September is now shining. Defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who registered his sixth sack of the season against Oakland, has been impressive all season. Cornerback E.J. Gaines, who recorded his second interception of the season Sunday, looks like one of the steals of the draft as a sixth-rounder out of the University of Missouri.

And the two from Auburn, left tackle Greg Robinson and running back Tre Mason, have played well since moving into the lineup a quarter of the way through the season. Mason gives the Rams big-play ability in the backfield and looked like he was running in a different gear from everyone else Sunday.

Other younger players from recent drafts are improving and developing as the weeks go by, including second-year wide receiver Stedman Bailey and third-year cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

A Rams pass rush that managed only one sack in its first five games had six against the Raiders and has 27 over its last seven contests. Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn, who didn’t have a sack in the first five games, has nine over his last seven contests. (It should be 10, if the NFL ever gets around to crediting him with a sack he mistakenly didn’t get awarded by the stat crew in Kansas City.)

There are future needs on the offensive line, especially the interior. Another linebacker wouldn’t hurt, and the secondary can still use some depth. But other than some kind of solution at quarterback, this suddenly doesn’t look like a team with a ton of needs.

But in the ever-shifting landscape that is Rams football, consistency is key. Doing it every other week doesn’t get you to the playoffs in the NFL. Not usually, anyway. The unpredictability of this team has been confounding to most observers, but not to Fisher or his coaching staff.

“I know we know what to expect,” Fisher said. “I mean, we’re going to get a maximum effort out of (the players) Wednesday through Sunday. We’re going to get that out of them.

“That’s all you can ask of them. Sometimes there’s tipped balls and sometimes guys make mistakes, but they’re going to make them going full speed. We’ve got to learn.

“I think we can use this as a learning experience. “Hey, we had a great one against Denver. Came back, couldn’t find a way (against San Diego). Big win here (against Oakland). We’ve got to go find a way (against Washington).”

Or as Tavon Austin put it: “We’ve had some great wins this year. But we never put two in a row. That’s where our mindset is.”

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Its going to be fun to watch when the QB problem gets solved hopefully with Bradford.We have a lot of talent on this team and we are all just witnessing the beginning of a dominant team in the making.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A Rams pass rush that managed only one sack in its first five games had six against the Raiders and has 27 over its last seven contests. Pro Bowl defensive end Robert Quinn, who didn’t have a sack in the first five games, has nine over his last seven contests. (It should be 10, if the NFL ever gets around to crediting him with a sack he mistakenly didn’t get awarded by the stat crew in Kansas City.)
If Quinn gets that 10th sack, he has a good shot at a 16-17 or more sack season, Now that Chris is back to help him!!(y):D

Big Willie

Starter
The Rams belong to the St Louis community...and despite their numerous warts, they are already special to us!

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If Quinn gets that 10th sack, he has a good shot at a 16-17 or more sack season, Now that Chris is back to help him!!(y):D
Of note to me ADonald has twice as many sacks in his rookie year already as Warren Sapp had, John Randle had one his rookie year,those are two of the DT's people always point to as being the most disruptive.
That kid continues to prove how special he is.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Our 2014 class looks pretty damn good.

Joyner doesn't get named often, yet, but he's shown his potential as well.

tonyl711

Starter
this team has the potential to be dominate, its a young team that is finally starting to come into its own. shore up the QB situation, and add a LB, OG and OC and we should start seeing some winning football. as far as this last draft goes I don't know if any other team had as good of one as the Rams, the good thing is the holes on the roster have been pretty much filled, now we can truelly draft BPA.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I honestly think this team is just a slight turn away from being great. I can see them being dominant in many games next season while still beating the playoff bound teams. Watch out NFL.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Of note to me ADonald has twice as many sacks in his rookie year already as Warren Sapp had, John Randle had one his rookie year,those are two of the DT's people always point to as being the most disruptive.
That kid continues to prove how special he is.

He is SO fast. When he gets through a little gap in the OL sometimes it's shocking........he can get SO small and skinny and slice right through in an instant.

I think he's going to be a special player for a lot of years. He and Brockers and Quinn and Long are only going to get better as a unit over the coming seasons. What a "base" for a DC to build on and a GM to draft around.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I honestly think this team is just a slight turn away from being great. I can see them being dominant in many games next season while still beating the playoff bound teams. Watch out NFL.
I've been expecting a game like Sunday's and IMO had we had the defensive effort we got we'd have beaten Dallas that badly , we should be 7-5 or better but a young team like this just makes you scratch your head

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I've been expecting a game like Sunday's and IMO had we had the defensive effort we got we'd have beaten Dallas that badly , we should be 7-5 or better but a young team like this just makes you scratch your head
Exactly. Tough to watch them be probably the best team on the field but either do the stupid things or have the let downs that turn Ws into Ls.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So much of the game is confidence, that I have to think that enormous of a win is going to help them raise the bar. Normally I am expecting a letdown now, following any win it seems they come out flat, or make mistakes all over the joint, etc. But this time things look a little different to me.

Crushing a bad team isn't something this roster has really done in Fish's 3 seasons aboard. Usually they tend to play up or down to the competition. I don't know, maybe it's wishful thinking, but I feel like these guys are turning a corner provided they keep getting consistent play from Hill in terms of not doing too much, protecting the ball, etc.

One game at a time, IMO. Just beat the Skins and go from there. But for once I am actually confident going into a game vs an opponent that they should beat.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
So much of the game is confidence, that I have to think that enormous of a win is going to help them raise the bar. Normally I am expecting a letdown now, following any win it seems they come out flat, or make mistakes all over the joint, etc. But this time things look a little different to me.

Crushing a bad team isn't something this roster has really done in Fish's 3 seasons aboard. Usually they tend to play up or down to the competition. I don't know, maybe it's wishful thinking, but I feel like these guys are turning a corner provided they keep getting consistent play from Hill in terms of not doing too much, protecting the ball, etc.

One game at a time, IMO. Just beat the Skins and go from there. But for once I am actually confident going into a game vs an opponent that they should beat.
Yeah , confidence IS great ,but sometimes I think we lose confidence because we get over confident after a good start and once the doubts start creeping in these youngsters can't find the peddle after they've let up.
That to me is the value of the shutout, NOW they have that standard to live up to and will set it for themselves , with the defense playing that way and our kicking game I think it would take a truly bad performance on offense for us to lose.