Rams camp 'veterans' hope this time will be charm

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-camp-veterans-hope-this-time-will-be-charm/article_78d4d27d-376b-5bb1-86c0-c67956600491.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 00491.html</a>
Rams camp 'veterans' hope this time will be charm
Running back Chase Reynolds, wide receiver Nick Johnson and offensive guard Brandon Washington have all done this NFL training camp thing before. Reynolds has done it twice, in fact.
So all three were a little surprised and maybe slightly perplexed when they received text messages from Rams coaches saying they had to report a few days early ... and work with the rookies.

But when you’re a past practice squad member – on the fringe of NFL life and an NFL roster – it’s not like you’re going to say “no.” Not that Reynolds, Johnson or Washington would say no. Whatever it takes to make the 53-man roster, they’re willing to do.

Johnson actually was thinking about asking the coaches if he could come in early when he got the text.

“I’m all for the extra reps,” Johnson said.

All three were members of the Rams’ practice squad last season, but none has an accredited season in the league – which you get from being on the 53-man roster. So all were eligible to participate in rookie practices Monday and Tuesday.

(As was offensive guard Ryan Lee, who joined the Rams in mid-June after spending most of last season on Pittsburgh’s practice squad.)

Reynolds finds himself in the quirky position of being the elder statesman of the running backs room even though he has yet to play in an NFL regular-season game. This is Reynolds’ third season chasing the NFL dream. A folk hero of sorts in Montana, where he went from playing 8-man football in high school to becoming one of the most prolific running backs in University of Montana history, Reynolds spent the 2011 and ‘12 seasons on the Rams’ practice squad.

So he’s been part of the NFL scene for two seasons. Among the six other halfbacks and fullbacks on the roster, three are rookies and three have one year of experience.

“I am the oldest guy in the room,” Reynolds said, smiling. “I enjoy it. I’m a ‘young’ old guy, I guess you could call it.”

With Steven Jackson off to Atlanta via free agency, Reynolds finds himself answering questions and trying to help the team’s younger running backs, such as undrafted rookie Benny Cunningham.

Cunningham says he finds himself asking Reynolds questions, “every opportunity I get. He’s more than willing to help.”

But make no mistake, even with the addition of fifth-round draft pick Zac Stacy and undrafted rookie Cunningham this offseason, to go with second-year players Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead and Terrance Ganaway, Reynolds isn’t content on just coaching up the youngsters. He wants to make the 53-man roster, as much as the odds may be stacked against him.

“I’m at the point in my career where I have done everything in my opinion that I can possibly do,” he said. “So I just look at it if my time comes and this is it, I can go out with no regrets. But obviously I’m looking to further my game and keep going.”

Entering camp, he has some reason for optimism: He’s a starter on several special teams units, including punt and kickoff coverage.

Washington and Johnson are similarly focused and hopeful.

Washington was signed to the Rams’ practice squad last Sept. 2 after spending the preseason in Philadelphia. He stepped into an offensive system that he found complicated and tough to learn. “The words, the terminology,” Washington said.

But he eventually got acclimated. At the end of the 2012 season, Philadelphia offered to sign him to its active roster. He declined, finishing out the year on the Rams’ practice squad.

“I thought I had a better chance here (long term),” Washington said. “I stayed here and I think I made the best decision. ... I think I have a tremendous opportunity here to make the roster at least.”

Washington has been backing up both the right and left guard spots. He has trimmed down, weighing in at 314 pounds after being 10 pounds heavier a year ago. His body fat has dropped from 26 percent to 18 percent. Two Rams guards, Shelley Smith and Chris Williams, are entering the final years of their contracts, so if Washington can hang on for another season perhaps he’ll find opportunity in St. Louis.

As for Johnson, he nearly made the active roster late last season. Coach Jeff Fisher was considering promoting him but went with another player in response to injuries at that position.

Johnson said he felt almost like a veteran working with the rookies Monday and Tuesday.

“This is my second training camp here,” Johnson said. “I know what to expect from the preseason games and also training camp. What to expect physically. How to prepare my body as well as prepare mentally.”

After the Rams drafted Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey in April, Johnson’s only chance may be as the sixth wide receiver – if the Rams keep six wideouts on the final roster.

“As far as me making the squad, I’ll control what I can control,” Johnson said. “And one of the main aspects is going to be versatility. Playing every receiver position as well as in the backfield. As well as returning punts, kicks. Running down kickoffs.

“I’m just trying to market myself as someone who’s able to do everything that the coach asks me to do, and then some. I’m gonna make sure I put everything on the field in those four preseason games ... ‘cause I like it here.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For what it's worth, guys like Balzer (I think it was him) have said the Rams are high on Nick Johnson.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, he has scored a TD for the Rams, more than the other young guys have done. I think, unless someone else really stands out, Johnson gets that sixth WR spot because of his value on special teams....both returning and as a guy who can get downfield in a hurry and cover.