Rams camp battle preview: Who will be RB1 in L.A.?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Rams camp battle preview: Who will be RB1 in L.A.?

Training camp is just two weeks away for the Los Angeles Rams, and there will be plenty to sort out once players finally get on the field together for the first time this offseason. Running back will undergo one of the biggest changes on the roster after the Rams cut Todd Gurley and selected Cam Akers with their first pick in the draft.

Understandably, Sean McVay has not committed to one player as the starting running back, and he may never do so. But there are clear contenders and fading longshots in the mix.

Continuing our training camp preview series, let’s look at the competition at running back this summer.

The favorite: Cam Akers

Akers might only be a rookie and at a disadvantage during this limited offseason, but he remains the favorite to handle the bulk of the touches for the Rams in 2020. Sean McVay, Les Snead and Kevin O’Connell have all spoken highly of the Florida State product, specifically pointing to his easier transition to the NFL after running behind a terrible FSU offensive line.

He’s built like a starting running back and is well-rounded enough to both run between the tackles, to the outside and catch passes as a receiver. The Rams haven’t committed to one player as their bell cow and they may not all season, but Akers should get the nod as the No. 1 running back on the depth chart and in the carries column.

The contenders: Darrell Henderson and Malcolm Brown

Henderson and Brown are completely different players from each other, but one of them could head into the season as RB1 ahead of Akers. Henderson is more of a slasher and change-of-pace back, while Brown is a between-the-tackles runner who’s best in short-yardage and goal line situations.

Henderson’s rookie season was quieter than some expected after being a third-round pick, but the door is open for him to break through as a starting running back. Even if he’s just an Alvin Kamara-type of player as Snead indicated last year, he can be a highly productive complementary piece to Akers.

Brown’s path to a starting job is less clear because he’s a career backup who has done well in limited opportunities, but he doesn’t have the upside that Henderson does. And, the Rams nearly let him get away last offseason after the Lions signed him to an offer sheet.

What makes Akers the lead candidate is that he’s a mix of both Henderson and Brown, showing the ability to run between the tackles and still break long runs when he finds a hole.

The longshots: John Kelly, James Gilbert and Xavier Jones

It would be a complete and utter surprise if any of these players went into the season as the Rams’ No. 1 running back, just given the current landscape at this position. Kelly has done next to nothing in the NFL thus far after being a late-round pick a couple of years ago, while the other two are undrafted rookies just hoping to make the roster.

With Akers, Henderson and Brown all likely to be on the 53-man roster, at least one of these long shots will certainly be cut. Jones’ skill set is intriguing and he was highly productive at SMU, even looking like a prospect who deserved to be drafted this year. Gilbert has a steeper climb to the roster because he’s on the smaller side and doesn’t have much receiving production.

Prediction: Akers is RB1

Akers has the makings of a true workhorse back in the NFL. He handled those duties at Florida State despite getting little help from the rest of the offense, and there’s little reason to believe he can’t become a No. 1 back as a pro.

Whether it’s in Week 1 or by Week 8, Akers will pull ahead as the clear choice to get most of the handoffs from Jared Goff. Henderson and Brown will still be in the mix, but probably not as guys who will get 15-plus carries a game.

Henderson will be a third-down weapon and receiving threat, while Brown could handle short-yardage and goal-line duties.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems the roles in the article are correct....Akers getting the bulk of the carries, Henderson on 3rd downs and to give Cam the Ram a breather with Brown taking it in from short yardage. New RB Coach Thomas Brown should have a quite a bit of upside with the group along with maybe Xavier Jones on the practice squad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And this just in,
Water is wet

Akers would have to look absolutely dreadful in TC for him to not get the #1 gig.
I think the only mystery that may be involving the RB crew is whether Jones could make the team as a 4th RB/ST player.
I think Eric Dickerson has as good a chance of making the 2020 team as does John Kelly

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Talent plus strong competition tends to produce good players so I think someone will step up.

Hopefully we see multiple guys step up and make the coaching decision difficult. From there it's just about the blocking upfront.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I kind of think it will be a case of 1A and 1B, with some change in status depending on opponent, situation, etc. I'd favor Akers to be the 1A guy most of the time, but I would guess Henderson is going to get his carries and will get his time to shine.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Not that you are bias or anything. :)

But I totally agree as he is the most complete back we have.

The idea of trying to tackle him is actually scary for me.

His highlight-reel is phenomenal.

Me, Bias? Not at all! Go Seminoles! Go Akers! GO RAMS!!!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd prefer a 45-40 split between Akers and Henderson. Akers is a bellcow, true, but Henderson is absolutely explosive. Don't particularly care who gets the rest of the carries.

Paydirt

UDFA
Akers will be the starter ....... Henderson already had has shot / showed me absolutely nothing.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I think Henderson gets a few more carries early as Akers (not more but closer to even....) will need time to find his place in the offense (w/ the limited snaps in preseason...). But later in the season Akers will get a bigger and bigger piece of the pie.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In a normal season, I would expect Cam Akers to start the regular season as the number one. With the shortening of camp and the preseason, I think he will end the season as the starting running back.