Rams' calculated risk-taking working wonders so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
Last year Fisher had armored guards bring a Brinks truck to the team's facility and put $1 million in cash on a table in front of his young players. Then he cut the pile in half -- "$1 million isn't as large a pile as you would think," Fisher said -- which goes to the IRS, then he took another large chunk out for a house for mom, a new car, living expenses in the NFL.

"This is about all that's left," Fisher said, making a square with his hands around the corner of his desk. "We tell them, if you're smart about your money and save this much, then we'll help you build it back up to here," Fisher said, moving his arms out to mimic the original pile of money. "But if you don't save this much," he said, moving his hands back to the smaller imaginary pile, "then you're left with nothing."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/23082070/rams-calculated-risktaking-on-prospects-working-wonders-so-far" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... ers-so-far</a>

Pretty cool blurb I hadn't read before about the process that Fisher and Snead take for the rookies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Common sense shit that even the general public don't get.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Imagine how little he was paid when he was a player. They didn't make diddly back then.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Imagine how little he was paid when he was a player. They didn't make diddly back then.

LOL, well maybe it was "diddly" back then, but as I recall, it was still a few "shekels" more than I was making at that time. Point being, it's all relative...you make a few conservative investments, save a good percentage of what you make, say 15 or 20%, live below your means and "time" takes care of the rest.

I'm not bragging, but I quit working when I turned 53 and haven't regretted it since. Trouble is, most athletes and even professionals think the money tree grows to the sky.....sometimes it does, but fate and circumstance has a strange way of spoiling the party. :?!: :omg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ramsince62 said:
X said:

LOL, well maybe it was "diddly" back then, but as I recall, it was still a few "shekels" more than I was making at that time. Point being, it's all relative...you make a few conservative investments, save a good percentage of what you make, say 15 or 20%, live below your means and "time" takes care of the rest.

I'm not bragging, but I quit working when I turned 53 and haven't regretted it since. Trouble is, most athletes and even professionals think the money tree grows to the sky.....sometimes it does, but fate and circumstance has a strange way of spoiling the party. :?!: :omg:
Oh for sure -- it's all relative. To an extent. I mean, the cost of living hasn't escalated THAT much since Fisher was a player. The average NFL salary when he first came into the league was $79K (1981). Before the NFL got wise and restructured the rookie pay scale, the average NFL salary was $1.9M.

Of course YOU remember when you could see a movie for a nickel and buy a loaf of bread with the change... :razzed:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
ramsince62 said:
X said:

Oh for sure -- it's all relative. To an extent. I mean, the cost of living hasn't escalated THAT much since Fisher was a player. The average NFL salary when he first came into the league was $79K (1981). Before the NFL got wise and restructured the rookie pay scale, the average NFL salary was $1.9M.

Of course YOU remember when you could see a movie for a nickel and buy a loaf of bread with the change... :razzed:

Indeed I do (actually it was .25), Heck, I remember when a penny post card was actually a penny, burgers for a quarter and high test gas was .29 (I've seen it at .11 during gas war's, they need to bring those back).

As for the cost of living, it's really more about the value of the dollar between then and now. For example, since 2007 the dollar has lost well over 12%, going back to 1981, I'd peg it at having lost closer to
60%. I do know that since 1960, the dollar has lost 90% of its value. That kinda puts a different spin on things don't you think?

In any event, football salaries have come a long way since then both in terms of monetary and relative reward.