Rams busy with prospect visits/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Rams busy with prospect visits
By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_85e92505-5599-5a8c-b5e5-6860b52606b7.html

With Sunday marking the last day NFL teams can bring in prospects for the so-called “top 30” visits, the Rams’ guest list has been heavy on offensive linemen (six), defensive tackles (six), wide receivers (four), and cornerbacks (four).
The Post-Dispatch has confirmed through a variety of sources 24 visits. The Rams usually use all of their allotment of 30 visits, so that means six names remain mysteries. One can assume at least a couple of those six are safeties — one of the team’s top areas of need — because there is not one safety listed among the 24.

Sources familiar with Louisville safety Calvin Pryor and Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward said recently that neither player had a visit scheduled to Rams Park. And it’s simply not known if Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has made a visit here — perhaps he’s one of the mystery six.

In contrast, the Rams have had what are generally regarded as the top four cornerbacks at Rams Park for visits over the last several weeks: Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State, Darqueze Dennard of Michigan State, Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech, and Jason Verrett of TCU.

Both of the top wide receiver prospects have visited: Clemson’s Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M’s Mike Evans. And two of the top three offensive tackle prospects have been in: Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Michigan’s Taylor Lewan.

It appears that offensive tackle Jake Matthews of Texas A&M has not visited. A team source said recently that because the Rams know Matthews well and because he has no off-field or injury issues, the team might not bring him in. Instead his spot might have been used for a lesser-known prospect.

Perhaps for similar reasons a scheduled visit with Notre Dame’s Zack Martin was canceled. Martin, who can play tackle and guard, is considered the fourth-best offensive lineman and a probable top 20 pick.

In defensive end Jadeveon Clowney of South Carolina, outside linebacker Khalil Mack of Buffalo, and defensive end Kony Ealy of Missouri, the Rams have brought in three of the top four edge-rushers. The only missing member of that foursome, UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr, has visited six of the top 11 teams (in terms of draft order), but not St. Louis.

Ealy, by the way, didn’t count against the top 30. He was considered a “local” visit because he grew up in St. Louis before moving to southeast Missouri.

Perhaps the most surprising development in terms of draft visits is the attention given to the defensive tackle spot. By all outward appearances the Rams are pleased with starters Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford, but are looking to beef up the rotation.

The Rams looked at several d-tackles in free agency, eventually signing Alex Carrington of the Buffalo Bills. And now they’re looking at a lot of draft prospects there, starting with Pittsburgh’s Aaron Donald — a disruptive interior pass rusher.

Under coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead, many — but not all — of the Rams’ picks in the top three to four rounds have made top 30 visits. But some prospects are brought in just to get more information on.

There are always many scenarios to consider in the early rounds, so a team must have a fallback plan or two in terms of targeted players at positions of need because you never know what might happen in front of you.

While the top 30 visits must end Sunday by league rule, private workouts can take place all the way until May 7 _ the day before the draft. The Rams plan to work out Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray next week, among other prospects.

However, the Rams will not hold a private workout with Clowney, according to team sources. After watching Clowney’s widely-acclaimed pro day at South Carolina, the Rams decided a private workout was unnecessary.

Besides, not long after his pro day Clowney announced he would not take part in any private workouts over the remainder of the pre-draft process. That was a likely reaction to the knee injury suffered by Clemson offensive lineman Brandon Thomas at a private workout for New Orleans.

The Rams held a local pro day Friday for seven draft prospects from the St. Louis area: FB Ray Agnew, Southern Illinois (De Smet HS); S Theo Alexander, Southeastern Louisiana (Gateway Tech HS); CB Tyler Davis, Missouri Valley (University City HS); LB Nick DiMarco, William Penn (Francis Howell North HS); LB Aaron Hill, Minnesota (Lutheran HS-St. Charles); TE/F Reggie Jordan, Missouri Western (Hazelwood Central HS); and WR Don Shumpert, Iowa (Hazelwood East HS).

Unlike top 30 visits, prospects making local visits are allowed to work out.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I didn't realize that the Rams brought in 6 DT prospects. I'm guessing they really want to add depth there. I'm personally happy with Brockers and Langford along with Carrington for depth (even though he's only here for one year). I'm guessing that Gregg Williams must want another DT, probably one who can get to the passer-a 3 tech type guy.

If that's the case, then Aaron Donald would be perfect. Add him on 3rd down along with Chris Long, Quinn and Hayes, and that's a potent pass rushing front 4. Heck, you wouldn't even really need to blitz much. But as I write this, I keep thinking adding Mack could also be a huge impact. He's a guy who can do it all during the 1st two downs then come down as a DE on 3rd down, move Chris Long inside and there you go. I wish we didn't need OL and DB so much because if our 1st two picks were Mack and Aaron Donald our defense could be scary good at rushing the QB

fearsomefour

Legend
To me it not surprising at all the focus on DT. The play was inconsistent last year vs the run and often a relative non factor vs the pass. Add in thin depth it makes sense to look to improve the rotation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
To me it not surprising at all the focus on DT. The play was inconsistent last year vs the run and often a relative non factor vs the pass. Add in thin depth it makes sense to look to improve the rotation.

Agree I was of the thought that Kendall was the best all around DT we have. The Rams DT actions would point heavy in the area of 3rd DT Cudjo & Conrath both UDFA's. Cudjo who started the 2012 season play has dropped off big....Conrath overtook Cudjo after the bye as the first DT in on rotation. Cudjo is a UFA in 2015 plus his 2014 salary is over a million whereas Conrath is 460K. UFA pick up Alex Carrington had a injury plagued 2013 & its unknown if he can remain healthy. Carrington played only three games in 2013. I would not be surprised if Fisher drafted two DT's one early one late!

I would say Cudjo remaining a Ram ...very Doubtful. Conrath remaining a Ram questionable. Carrington is also Questionable.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
List of "Top 30" Visits
• By Jim Thomas
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_75c7ac1a-9fe7-5b97-9e5e-693ba26723f9.html

WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

OT/OG Joel Bitonio, Nevada

DE Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina

DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh

OT/OG Dakota Dozier, Furman

CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State

DT Dominique Easley, Florida

WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina

WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech

CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

DT Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota

OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama

OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan

OLB Khalil Mack, Buffalo

DT Jeoffrey Pagan, Alabama

OT Greg Robinson, Auburn

QB Tom Savage, Pittsburgh

OLB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State

DT Will Sutton, Arizona State

DT Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame

OT Billy Turner, North Dakota State

CB Jason Verrett, TCU

WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So, the Rams building has had no Dix inside it...

...wait, that may have not been the best way to put that...

fearsomefour

Legend
Agree I was of the thought that Kendall was the best all around DT we have. The Rams DT actions would point heavy in the area of 3rd DT Cudjo & Conrath both UDFA's. Cudjo who started the 2012 season play has dropped off big....Conrath overtook Cudjo after the bye as the first DT in on rotation. Cudjo is a UFA in 2015 plus his 2014 salary is over a million whereas Conrath is 460K. UFA pick up Alex Carrington had a injury plagued 2013 & its unknown if he can remain healthy. Carrington played only three games in 2013. I would not be surprised if Fisher drafted two DT's one early one late!

I would say Cudjo remaining a Ram ...very Doubtful. Conrath remaining a Ram questionable. Carrington is also Questionable.
Yeah, I agree. Cudjo was a solid depth guy going back a year.
Langford was good the second half of the season but was not good early. The real key will be to find guys who can give the Rams a real rotation at DT.
I agree a couple of DTs will come in and I expect a real camp battle for those 3 and 4 DT spots.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wow not one safety, Fisher and Snead, they're so clever.