Rams & Browns: 10 Reactions From Preseason Opener (101 ESPN)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

The St. Louis Rams dropped their exhibition opener by a score of 27-19 in Ohio against the Cleveland Browns. Here are my instant reaction points from last night’s action:

1. Quarterback Sam Bradford finished his night healthy after going 5 for 8 with a touchdown and a 145.8 quarterback rating. Rams fans can’t ask for much more than that.

Bradford looked comfortable in the pocket entering his second year in offensive coordinator’s Brian Schottenheimer’s offense. Bradford did a pretty nice job of progressing through the reads. His numbers could have been better if not for a couple of catchable balls being dropped.

Bradford’s biggest highlight of the night came on a beautiful deep throw on a 59-yard touchdown connection to second-year wide receiver Chris Givens. According to Givens, he and Bradford were operating with intent.

“Me and Sam (Bradford) decided to try and send a message, ‘This is the effort you’re going to get every Sunday.”

On the evening, Givens totaled three receptions for 82 yards and a touchdown.

2. Several running backs flashed some good stuff Thursday night.

Starter Daryl Richardson showed the decisiveness, burst and speed that makes him such an appealing option. He finished the night with four carries for 24 yards and two receptions for 20 yards.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/09/rams-at-browns-review-10-instant-reactions-from-the-preseason-opener/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/09/ram ... on-opener/</a>

Psycho_X

Legend
Re: Rams & Browns: 10 Reactions From Preseason Opener (101 E

Finally a sensible article from the media. Props Mr. Gray.

bluecoconuts

Legend

The TD to Givens was like 3 yards or something, the 59 yard pass got us into the redzone.

Otherwise, good article.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

ShaneG said:
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

The St. Louis Rams dropped their exhibition opener by a score of 27-19 in Ohio against the Cleveland Browns. Here are my instant reaction points from last night’s action:

1. Quarterback Sam Bradford finished his night healthy after going 5 for 8 with a touchdown and a 145.8 quarterback rating. Rams fans can’t ask for much more than that.

Bradford looked comfortable in the pocket entering his second year in offensive coordinator’s Brian Schottenheimer’s offense. Bradford did a pretty nice job of progressing through the reads. His numbers could have been better if not for a couple of catchable balls being dropped.

Bradford’s biggest highlight of the night came on a beautiful deep throw on a 59-yard touchdown connection to second-year wide receiver Chris Givens. According to Givens, he and Bradford were operating with intent.

“Me and Sam (Bradford) decided to try and send a message, ‘This is the effort you’re going to get every Sunday.”

On the evening, Givens totaled three receptions for 82 yards and a touchdown.

2. Several running backs flashed some good stuff Thursday night.

Starter Daryl Richardson showed the decisiveness, burst and speed that makes him such an appealing option. He finished the night with four carries for 24 yards and two receptions for 20 yards.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/09/rams-at-browns-review-10-instant-reactions-from-the-preseason-opener/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101sports.com/2013/08/09/ram ... on-opener/</a>

Hi Shane,

Thanks, good work again.

I was not able to watch the game.
I heard that Cleveland game planned quite a bit.
Could you tell if that was the case?

Thanks

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

I haven't seen the game yet. Still, this game sounds like last year's preseason opener against the Colts. New coaching regime attempting to get off on the right foot and succeeding against the vanilla Rams.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psycho_X said:
Finally a sensible article from the media. Props Mr. Gray.

Thank you.

ShaneG

Starter

bluecoconuts said:
The TD to Givens was like 3 yards or something, the 59 yard pass got us into the redzone.

Otherwise, good article.

Thank you, sir.

And yes, I have been hoping that would be edited all day but has not been yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

ShaneG said:
"You want I should talk to editor?"

31278-15590.gif

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I think in a preseason loss the vogue thing to say is "vanilla".

It's like an eceptable excuse.

I get that there is no game planning... But why do you (we) conclude it was vanilla when Fisher said himself the goal was to win games in preseason?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

ShaneG

Starter

CGI_Ram said:

I get that there is no game planning... But why do you (we) conclude it was vanilla when Fisher said himself the goal was to win games in preseason?

It's a good question.

My answer -- for one -- would be that Fisher stated plainly leading up to the game that they would do very little, if any, game planning (other than the O line).

Fisher is always one of the more basic preseason coaches, keeping much of what the Rams plan to do under wraps.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

ShaneG with first impressions:
Goof stuff.

Cogent.

I've gotta a question I hope you know the answer too. Why didn't Ganaway get touches at RB? Is he injured or not in the running for a spot anymore?

ShaneG

Starter

X said:
ShaneG said:
"You want I should talk to editor?"

31278-15590.gif

Haha love it X!!!

Speeps

Starter

CGI_Ram said:

"You play to win the game" - Regular Season.
"You play to win the game ;) " - Preseason.

Of course he's going to say the goal is to win games. No coach is going to say, the goal is to lose. However, he's not going to win at the cost of exposing schemes and game plan. I'm a firm believer that the pre-season is for the team. Worry about what the team does. Not preparing the team for what other teams do. That's what the regular season is for.

These preseason games count for nothing. So while they would like to win, it's not going to come at the cost putting the good stuff on tape.

That's just my guess.

Exactly, Fisher does not tip his hand nor will he allow his staff to do so in the preseason, people need to take a deep breath and relax.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

voice of boom joining the fray:
Exactly, Fisher does not tip his hand nor will he allow his staff to do so in the preseason, people need to take a deep breath and relax.

As Coach Venturi pointed out, you still need to execute the vanilla stuff and our D-line didn't show up for the game.

BTW, I don't remember welcoming you to the board so let's take care of that.

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

albefree69 said:
voice of boom joining the club:

As Coach Venturi pointed out, you still need to execute the vanilla stuff and our D-line didn't show up for the game.

BTW, I don't remember welcoming you to the board so let's take care of that.

Welcome to the ROD! :zomg: :ja: :dancin: :nana: :wewt: :clap:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Speeps said:
CGI_Ram said:

Of course he's going to say the goal is to win games. No coach is going to say, the goal is to lose. However, he's not going to win at the cost of exposing schemes and game plan. I'm a firm believer that the pre-season is for the team. Worry about what the team does. Not preparing the team for what other teams do. That's what the regular season is for.

These preseason games count for nothing. So while they would like to win, it's not going to come at the cost putting the good stuff on tape.

That's just my guess.

Look, I don't give a rats ass about our preseason win-loss record either. I am a big believer the preseason is about player evaluation.

Still at the end of the day the vanilla approach is a two way street. Their vanilla beat our vanilla. That's worth noting.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

CGI_Ram said:
Speeps said:
CGI_Ram said:

That's just my guess.

Look, I don't give a rats ass about our preseason win-loss record either. I am a big believer the preseason is about player evaluation.

Still at the end of the day the vanilla approach is a two way street. Their vanilla beat our vanilla. That's worth noting.

Exactly. Maybe 7 out of 10 times the game goes the other way. But not that day.

I've read a few posters that were not happy with the Dlines performance. Well the Browns right now have an Oline I wish the Rams had so with just straight up football they didn't win enough Thursday night. It happens.

Three more of these and we can get to the real stuff.......