Rams bring John Sullivan in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BeefJurky

Rookie
How about draft somebody this year day 3?

It is a pretty deep draft for centers this year.
Plus you can give the guy a year's experience and you'll know whether or not he might be able to start.
If not, then draft one next year.

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Draft somebody now to replace him next year.
I'd personally want to see us draft a center in the 4th round.

Oops yea thats what I meant. Draft someone this year who can replace him next year.

This years center class is decent. Pocic or Elflein in round 3 would be good. Those 2 could probably start this year, if we don't end up signing anyone.
Toth or Orlosky in round 4 or 5.
I'm sure there's others that I'm forgetting too

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like Sullivan over Mangold at this time based on age really.
The question to me is there a C that will be there in round 2-4 who the team feels confident could start? If not a vet C needs to be signed. McVay knows Sullivan and it took them this long to bring him in after failing with another choice. Doesn't speak super highly.
But, sign a vet, Rhaney, a draft pick, some reps for a current G maybe and maybe an undrafted FA....need to find two.

I think there are a few, Roullier, and Toth are two.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Oops yea thats what I meant. Draft someone this year who can replace him next year.

This years center class is decent. Pocic or Elflein in round 3 would be good. Those 2 could probably start this year, if we don't end up signing anyone.
Toth or Orlosky in round 4 or 5.
I'm sure there's others that I'm forgetting too

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If you could get a solid starter in the 3rd at any position, go for it, in my opinion.

Consensus seems to be that there will be two or three Centers waiting for us with one of those third round picks.

YOU HAVE GOT TO GO FOR IT, in my opinion.

The center position has been so weak for so long and we see the results.

What if we do get Sullivan and he gets injured?

Rhaney?...really?..... Ouch.

Wouldn't you rather see the future stud there mid-season getting a trial by fire?

I sure as hell would. :)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If you could get a solid starter in the 3rd at any position, go for it, in my opinion.

Consensus seems to be that there will be two or three Centers waiting for us with one of those third round picks.

Wouldn't you rather see the future stud there mid-season getting a trial by fire?

Only if we had two 3rd round picks. We'll be able to get a Center with one of our two 4th round picks but I don't know how soon he should be starting. It would be a great year to find a diamond in the ruff that late in the draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought the draft was weak on OL this year, we'll probably need to get a veteran in regardless.
Weak on LT, OK on guards with the coles that will move there but there are 6 or 7 good centers.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am trying to remember when we drafted a centerin the first 4 rounds, and I can't. It seems that our last three HC's always had this cross-training idea with Guards..and UDFA guards to boot, since Andy McCollum, with the exception of Incognito, perhaps (wackjob)....I agree Soul Surfer, how about we actually draft an honest to God, NFL center? If we want to cross-train some guards to be his backup, that's fine. Our team values the position so little, we seem to be perpetually dumpster diving with worn out veteran centers (hello Scott Wells), or get guys like Brett Romburg, Tim Barnes, and D. Rhaney. Different coaches think they can coach up guys to fill the spot, and they haven't really.

Let's get one in the 3rd round and fix the position.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Sign this guy already please! We can wait no longer lol

If you want McSnead, I'll do it for ya: 1 yr 4 mill (1.5 mill guaranteed/2.5 mill in game day active incentives). ;):D

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I am trying to remember when we drafted a centerin the first 4 rounds, and I can't. It seems that our last three HC's always had this cross-training idea with Guards..and UDFA guards to boot, since Andy McCollum, with the exception of Incognito, perhaps (wackjob)....I agree Soul Surfer, how about we actually draft an honest to God, NFL center? If we want to cross-train some guards to be his backup, that's fine. Our team values the position so little, we seem to be perpetually dumpster diving with worn out veteran centers (hello Scott Wells), or get guys like Brett Romburg, Tim Barnes, and D. Rhaney. Different coaches think they can coach up guys to fill the spot, and they haven't really.

Let's get one in the 3rd round and fix the position.

We took our pick #113 in the Fourth round of the NFL Draft in 2013 and used it on Barrett Jones . The 3 time National Championship winner from Bama who was the only player ever to win the Outland Trophy one year and the Rimington Trophy the next year at two diffrerent positions. 4.0 grade point average Sum Cum Laude and won all kind of scholastic awards . In his SEC Championship game his Senior year at Center he tore two ligements in his foot causing the dreaded Lis Franc injury. His play was so well his players NEVER even knew he was injured. Then he played so well against 1ST round pick Nose Tackle Nix from Notre Dame in the National Championship game that his OG named Chance Warmack was free all game to block for Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon . Two weeks after they whipped the Fighting Irish Jones had surgery on his foot and missed the combine totally.

I have no idea what efforts the Rams and their doctors did to examine Barrett Jones before the draft. You would think Snead and staff did due diligence at least as the Rams have had Lis Franc end Trung Canidates career before it started for Martz' first draft pick as a Head Coach.

Its very Obvious if not for his dreaded injury that Barrett Jones would have been a very high draft pick in that same draft. We took a gamble on the unknown and lost again as he never recovered from his foot but overcompensated for it and injured his back while training and needed more surgery. We waited and hoped for a year our risk and a great OL would pay off for our risk. We wanted our REWARD. He was bounced around and even after we thought he could make it we cut him in 2015 at the last cut (I think) as I had hoped he could still be our answer after so much time spent with him. He was on 3 or 4 other practice squads in 2015 and everyone got to see he would never be able to recover. He does Bama games for Bama radio and TV as he was on the sidelines for Bama Radio during the Clemson loss. He was losin his mind. Still a giant specimen and a player that was so Blessed in College to win everything . Yet in the NFL he could never catch a break that would show what he once was as a very talented OL.

We as the RAMS are more than overdue for success in drafting a Center with great success. Barrett was 1st round talent we risked taking in the 4th round injured. Others have done the same with great college RB's with ACL's coming in Bowl games. To never play again. I have no idea what the Rams will do to fill the glaring Hole we have that must be addressed with our POSSIBLE FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK needing the very best in protection we can offer to see him through to success. Do whatever is possible to lock down not one but two SOLID players in the Center position this season. I say if we wait for the draft , then get the best player available like Lamp by moving up. Remove all doubt if our #2 draft pick at #37 will not guarantee us a starter for years. Maybe after a trade or other signing of a solid Bridge player.

I'm quite sure I'm in a very small minority as to how I value the OL and the center position in the NFL. Just think how Mack was a major key in getting the Falcons over the hump and to a SB they should have won by just running the ball two more plays. Eliminating all the nightmares that happened. I think Lamp would be the most solid starter at center in the NFL this season. We do not have a Barrett Jones in this years draft . Lamp would be the closest thing AND a healthy one. Won't happen and a pure dream. Yet until we get there I can still dream. Shalom.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We took our pick #113 in the Fourth round of the NFL Draft in 2013 and used it on Barrett Jones . The 3 time National Championship winner from Bama who was the only player ever to win the Outland Trophy one year and the Rimington Trophy the next year at two diffrerent positions. 4.0 grade point average Sum Cum Laude and won all kind of scholastic awards . In his SEC Championship game his Senior year at Center he tore two ligements in his foot causing the dreaded Lis Franc injury. His play was so well his players NEVER even knew he was injured. Then he played so well against 1ST round pick Nose Tackle Nix from Notre Dame in the National Championship game that his OG named Chance Warmack was free all game to block for Eddie Lacy and T.J. Yeldon . Two weeks after they whipped the Fighting Irish Jones had surgery on his foot and missed the combine totally.

I have no idea what efforts the Rams and their doctors did to examine Barrett Jones before the draft. You would think Snead and staff did due diligence at least as the Rams have had Lis Franc end Trung Canidates career before it started for Martz' first draft pick as a Head Coach.

Its very Obvious if not for his dreaded injury that Barrett Jones would have been a very high draft pick in that same draft. We took a gamble on the unknown and lost again as he never recovered from his foot but overcompensated for it and injured his back while training and needed more surgery. We waited and hoped for a year our risk and a great OL would pay off for our risk. We wanted our REWARD. He was bounced around and even after we thought he could make it we cut him in 2015 at the last cut (I think) as I had hoped he could still be our answer after so much time spent with him. He was on 3 or 4 other practice squads in 2015 and everyone got to see he would never be able to recover. He does Bama games for Bama radio and TV as he was on the sidelines for Bama Radio during the Clemson loss. He was losin his mind. Still a giant specimen and a player that was so Blessed in College to win everything . Yet in the NFL he could never catch a break that would show what he once was as a very talented OL.

We as the RAMS are more than overdue for success in drafting a Center with great success. Barrett was 1st round talent we risked taking in the 4th round injured. Others have done the same with great college RB's with ACL's coming in Bowl games. To never play again. I have no idea what the Rams will do to fill the glaring Hole we have that must be addressed with our POSSIBLE FRANCHISE QUARTERBACK needing the very best in protection we can offer to see him through to success. Do whatever is possible to lock down not one but two SOLID players in the Center position this season. I say if we wait for the draft , then get the best player available like Lamp by moving up. Remove all doubt if our #2 draft pick at #37 will not guarantee us a starter for years. Maybe after a trade or other signing of a solid Bridge player.

I'm quite sure I'm in a very small minority as to how I value the OL and the center position in the NFL. Just think how Mack was a major key in getting the Falcons over the hump and to a SB they should have won by just running the ball two more plays. Eliminating all the nightmares that happened. I think Lamp would be the most solid starter at center in the NFL this season. We do not have a Barrett Jones in this years draft . Lamp would be the closest thing AND a healthy one. Won't happen and a pure dream. Yet until we get there I can still dream. Shalom.

Wow, how could I have forgotten him? Probably because of the utter disappointment when we drafted an injured guy that never did anything in the NFL. Not his fault, because the Rams drafted him while injured....By my God, Fisher liked getting players like Scott Wells and Jake Long that needed surgery before they ever played a down for us, and also were never really right after that (maybe just surgically repaired, old and worn-out old guys?).

I want a Bull Strong Mean Smart Mofo at Center, that will last 15 years (3rd round, Les!)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bern Brostek...First round pick in 1990 from Washington number 23 overall that year.
Started a new career in 1990, so didn't really know so much about the Rams in 1990 (especially the draft)....It was before the internet, and I was driving 48 states...Looking at him today, he was a solid starter for about 4 years at center before injury.(1992-1996)..blocked for 1000 yard backs Cleveland Gary and Jerome Bettis.....Sounds like a guy that did a good job for us.