Rams bring John Sullivan in for a visit

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As long as its not guaranteed and he must win the position, bring him in and another 20 just like him. jmo

I realize 20 is a slight hyperbole, however, I look for Wichmann (conversion) and a draft choice to battle along with Rhaney, however, I have confidence in Sully.

sully-book-newSULLYcover.jpg

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I realize 20 is a slight hyperbole, however, I look for Wichmann (conversion) and a draft choice to battle along with Rhaney, however, I have confidence in Sully.

sully-book-newSULLYcover.jpg
OK, He's not my first choice, and I like some of the OG guys cross-training as reserves, ... Sullivan's knowledge, veteran status & former abilities if partially resuscitated must still offer a degrees worth of advantage over Barnes.

Dr. Victor FrankenMcVay : Well, I suppose a few diodes here and little lightning over there

Dr. Kromer : Look! It’s moving. It’s alive. It’s alive… It’s alive, it’s moving, it’s alive, it’s alive, it’s alive, it’s alive, IT’S ALIVE!

Dr. LaFluer : Only evil can come of it. Your health will be ruined if you persist in this madness.

Dr. Kroenke : I’m astonishingly sane, doctor.

Dr. LaFluer : You have created a monster, and it will destroy you!

Dr. FrankenMcVay : Patience, patience. I believe in this monster, as you call it. And if you don’t, well you must leave me alone.

Dr. Kroenke : OK, roll him out, Sullivan's good to go. Vet minimum though ... he's got a nervous tic.

Last edited:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Culture change and they are actually doing it with a mix of highly regarded veterans and young guys who have shown good character.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I am not in love with this center class, so it makes sense to bring in an experienced vet like Sullivan in to compete and mentor the young guys. Ideally one of the young guards we currently have on the roster that will be cross trained at center can beat him out and you still have experienced depth behind that guy.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Even with Sullivan I would like the Rams to pick up a center in the draft, but this does somewhat push the need down the list a bit.

I would think Sullivan is fully recovered from his injury two years ago.

McVay knows what's up with him and I doubt he can be much worse than Barnes was.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
Even with Sullivan I would like the Rams to pick up a center in the draft, but this does somewhat push the need down the list a bit.

I would think Sullivan is fully recovered from his injury two years ago.

McVay knows what's up with him and I doubt he can be much worse than Barnes was.

He's a former All-Pro who has been constantly underrated. He should be recovered from his injury, like you said. If he's been used lightly the past year, we could have a guy that has a few years of SOLID production left in him... which would be the perfect amount of time for him to mentor a young, drafted C to starter quality.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Signing Sullivan wouldn't alter my plans on where I'd draft a Center. Who knows what he has left.

Psycho_X

Legend
As others have said, not a long term solution but, if healthy, better than what we've had. Would also still go into the draft looking to nab one of the top prospects at center.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would also be good insurance in case the draft falls in a way where we don't get a center.

Whitworth-Saffold-Competition-Brown/Grob-Grob/Havenstein

Center competition would be between Sullivan/Rhaney/Wichman/Donnal - assuming the latter two can be trained at center adequately.

Teams usually have one weak spot on the OL - and we'd have the loser of Brown/Grob to take Saffold's place once he gets injured.

Hopefully we sign him just so we're not hamstrung in the draft.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I would be content with this signing, maybe 1 yr up to $3 mil/1.5 guaranteed, if he's healthy.

This will allow us to stay true to our board and select scheme BPA during the draft. Would love to nab JJ Dielman in the fourth or fifth, I personally prefer him to Toth.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Well, if there is one position on the line where a guy is familiar with the coach's offense, the center would probably be the best one. He's got a history of playing well. Plenty of experience. Offer him a stapler and coffee maker. (y)

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Sullivan over Mangold at this time based on age really.
The question to me is there a C that will be there in round 2-4 who the team feels confident could start? If not a vet C needs to be signed. McVay knows Sullivan and it took them this long to bring him in after failing with another choice. Doesn't speak super highly.
But, sign a vet, Rhaney, a draft pick, some reps for a current G maybe and maybe an undrafted FA....need to find two.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gonna likely be a one year deal while we groom a rookie. But I don't mind at all.
I have no doubt that Sullivan would be a vast improvement over what we have had at Center the last couple of Seasons!! I hope we sign him. One more piece to the puzzle, pre-Draft!!(y);):D

A55VA6

Legend
If Rams decide to sign him, it would most definitely be a 1 year deal. I think we will still draft a G/C with a mid round pick.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sullivan is a smart, savy football player with a ton of experience. The addition of Whitworth and Sullivan will be great for the younger inexperienced O linemen. Last years OL got ":schooled" repeatedly due to lack of leaderhip and savy vets who know the trade. This OL is going to be much better (barring injury).

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
This is becoming interesting , as no one here can make a guarantee one movement while not even while playing that that back injury will not return. His discectomy puts him in the same box of mystery that the rest of us discectomy patients are in. Personally I'm too close to this storyline and it really worries me. Been looking at the cross training idea and this being our 3 OG's (not counting Grob) third season in the league . The gifts and traits they've had so far can only get better. Kromer has his work cut out for him and personally we may be forced to go Center much higher in this draft unless Kromer has someone he personally bets he can train up in the later rounds. I'm gettin a bit nervous and hopin we can trade for a player during the draft along with a later pick.