Rams bracing for departure of Greg Olson as QB coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams bracing for departure of Greg Olson as QB coach

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Jared Goff may soon be working with his third quarterbacks coach in three seasons, with Sporting News first reporting that new Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden is expected to hire Greg Olson away from the Los Angeles Rams to be his offensive coordinator.

upload_2018-1-7_21-29-24.png

In his first season as the Rams' quarterbacks coach, Greg Olson help Jared Goff take a big leap. Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports

The Rams have the ability to reject the move because Olson isn't leaving for a head-coaching job. But McVay, who has long identified Gruden as one of his mentors, previously informed his coaches that he would be open to them pursuing other opportunities that they consider promotions.

Gruden will be introduced as the Raiders' coach on Tuesday.

"I have so much respect for Coach Olson," McVay said Sunday, the day after his team was eliminated with a 26-13 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. "He's been a great coach to us. He's done a great job with us. He's a guy that I've always had a lot of respect for."

Olson was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterbacks coach in 2008, which marked Gruden's last year coaching and McVay's first. Olson, 54, has served 11 seasons as an offensive coordinator, with the Chicago Bears(2003), Detroit Lions (2005), then-St. Louis Rams (2006-07), Buccaneers (2009-11), Raiders (2013-14) and Jacksonville Jaguars (2015-16).

In Olson's first year as the Rams' quarterbacks coach, Goff made a tremendous second-year leap and is now a first alternate for the Pro Bowl.

"If that were to happen, we're very happy for him and everything he's done for us," Goff said of Olson's expected departure. "We can't thank him enough. I think we talked about it last night with the quarterbacks -- everything he's done has been awesome. It far exceeded my expectations, as far as what he's done for myself and our whole quarterback room. And we're very thankful for him."

Prior to Olson, Goff worked with former Heisman Trophy winner Chris Weinke as a rookie in 2016. Now, it seems, he'll have another voice in his ear. But Goff said, "It'll be fine." The offense will be the same, and McVay noted that offensive coordinator Matt LaFleur -- who, like the rest of the coaches, will stay -- also has a major say with the Rams' franchise quarterback.

McVay wouldn't confirm that Olson is indeed leaving, but he called it "a blessing" to have him on his staff.

"If that opportunity does present itself -- the respect we have for Coach Olson, that's something that we'll allow him to pursue," McVay said. "We'll see what happens from there."

[www.espn.com]

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would be willing to bet Olsen will not be the last Coach or Player on the Rams this Season who will be pursued by another Team!!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Again the Rams could have denied permission because the new rule is a team only has to grant permission to an Assistant under contract, when it's for the position of Head Coach. But I figured McVay would allow it because of his relationship with Jon Gruden.

Possible replacements, not sure, but off the top of my head how about:

1. Wes Phillips Redskins....Phillips is currently the TE Coach and I'm not sure if the Redskins would grant permission, but being QB Coach would be an upgrade and Phillips has coached QB's in college and would have an opportunity to work with his Dad.
  2. Tom Clements...Former QB Coach & Offensive Coach with Green Bay Packers.
  3. Todd Downing...Good Job as QB Coach and was a Rams assistant from 2006-2008.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Again the Rams could have denied permission because the new rule is a team only has to grant permission to an Assistant under contract, when it's for the position of Head Coach. But I figured McVay would allow it because of his relationship with Jon Gruden.

Possible replacements, not sure, but off the top of my head how about:

1. Wes Phillips Redskins....Phillips is currently the TE Coach and I'm not sure if the Redskins would grant permission, but being QB Coach would be an upgrade and Phillips has coached QB's in college and would have an opportunity to work with his Dad.
  2. Tom Clements...Former QB Coach & Offensive Coach with Green Bay Packers.
  3. Todd Downing...Good Job as QB Coach and was a Rams assistant from 2006-2008.
Trying to choose Assist. Coaches is Waaaaay above my pay grade!!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for Olson. Yes, the Rams could have blocked it, but besides not being good to your employees, that would also make it less likely to be able to recruit rising young assistants.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
glad McVay did not stand in the way of this move. hats off to him and best of luck to Olsen

Psycho_X

Legend
Good for Olson. Yes, the Rams could have blocked it, but besides not being good to your employees, that would also make it less likely to be able to recruit rising young assistants.

glad McVay did not stand in the way of this move. hats off to him and best of luck to Olsen

Yeah was nice to listen to McVay's wrap up conference where he talked about how he's always told his staff that he'll never stand in their way of bettering their careers with opportunities on other organizations.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I can see McVay building a nice coaching tree a la Walsh and Parcells with the way his coaching resonates with his assistants/coordinators.