Rams bolstered their pass rush, but don't forget about Samson Ebukam

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/11/nfl-rams-pass-rush-samson-ebukam-stats/
Rams bolstered their pass rush, but don't forget about Samson Ebukam
By: Andrew Ortenberg | April 11, 2019

All last season, there was talk about how outside pass rush was a weakness for the Los Angeles Rams. Too often, Aaron Donald was doing it all by himself, and there were games when Donald was the only player on the Rams who could even get near the quarterback.

General manager Les Snead clearly saw it as a big issue and made upgrading the unit a top priority. He made a big trade with the Jaguars to land Dante Fowler Jr. at the deadline last year, which paid huge dividends. Fowler came alive at the end of the season, making some huge plays in the playoffs including landing the hit on Drew Brees that essentially sent the Rams to the Super Bowl.

Fowler was set to be a free agent last month, but the Rams locked him up just before free agency opened. Then they went out and made another big splash, signing Clay Matthews to a two-year contract. But while Fowler and Matthews have been getting most of the attention, one player has been flying mostly under the radar. His name is Samson Ebukam.

Ebukam just finished his second season in the pros after the Rams took him in the fourth round back in 2017. He hasn’t been getting a ton of attention, but he played a lot better than most people realize last year, and he has a chance to play a very big role in 2019.

In fact, Pro Football Focus gave him the highest pass-rushing grade of any Rams defender other than Donald. He only had three sacks, but he got after the quarterback much more than those numbers indicate. Sacks often don’t tell the full story, and Ebukam should improve on those numbers moving forward.

Edge Defender Samson Ebukam had the highest Pass Rush grade for #Rams not named Aaron Donald in 2018

He looks to step into his 3rd year by improving on his impressive Run Stop & Pass Rushing abilities to find time in a rotation that now includes Clay Matthews & Dante Fowler Jr. pic.twitter.com/RdFsBQOZGT

— PFF LA Rams (@PFF_Rams) April 10, 2019

He also found himself around the ball often last season, returning an interception for a touchdown and recovering two fumbles, including one that went for another touchdown.

Ebukam hasn’t been lights out his first couple of years in the league, but nobody should’ve expected that. The Rams drafted him in the middle rounds out of the FCS school Eastern Washington, and he was always going to need time to develop his raw talent.

Some observers have been too quick to write him off, and he shouldn’t be neglected just because the Rams have added a couple of bigger names with larger pedigrees. Ebukam has already shown he can hold his own at the NFL level, and he’s still only 23.

Not many 23-year-olds who didn’t even play FBS college ball could make the level of impact rushing the passer that he already has. The Rams’ outside linebacking group was a weak spot for most of last season, and there wasn’t anyone teams needed to pay too much attention to.

If anything, the acquisitions of Fowler and Matthews will only help Ebukam in year three. Teams will be game-planning more to stop those two, which should open things up for Ebukam.

He only played around 33 percent of the defensive snaps as a rookie, and last year was his first season getting consistent opportunities. He should be given the chance to build on that next year.

Wade Phillips has a great track record of developing pass-rushers, and the coaching staff has always been high on Ebukam’s potential. Rams fans should be patient as he continues to grow, and nobody should forget about him in favor of the newer, shinier acquisitions.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I know we haven't seen Obo play yet but he was one of my favorite picks last year. I believe with him Ebukam, Matthews, and Fowler we could have a pretty damn good rotation of pass rushers.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice to see Ebukam getting some love. I didn't realize he was as effective as he was last year, according to PFF. And he's only 23! But IIRC, he also needs to step up his run defense. He seems to have all the qualities..., speed, size, athletic ability, and (now) experience. He's also got Obo in his rearview mirror! This year will tell a lot.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I wish Ebu all the best this season. He’s a pleasant fellow and he tries hard.

But I’m not sure that he’s good enough, tbh. I don’t give a damn what PFF says in this case. I trust my own eyes even more.

Here’s hoping that Ebu wins me over. I would love to see that we already have a quality starting edge on this roster to pair with Fowler. But until then, I sure hope that Snead keeps adding edge talent. Sigh...

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Should consider extending him if be shows more promise this year. Would get him much cheaper than if he blows up in year 4.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
He made some nice splash plays and was in the backfield quite a bit, just couldn't get there.
A little competition and observing some big names in training camp maybe he will at a few moves to his repertoire.
Then there's the mystery of Obo, hopefully he can get some reps

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
ya, Obo..... what do we even have with him? I hope we find out in training camp.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ya, Obo..... what do we even have with him? I hope we find out in training camp.

Yes, it'd be nice if actually had a contact practice. Right now all we know is that he fell to pick #160 and looked good without pads.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I think Sampson has the skills and the desire to become better. He was very raw coming out of College. I believe he's going to surprise in his 3rd season if he stays healthy.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I wish Ebu all the best this season. He’s a pleasant fellow and he tries hard.

But I’m not sure that he’s good enough, tbh. I don’t give a damn what PFF says in this case. I trust my own eyes even more.

Here’s hoping that Ebu wins me over. I would love to see that we already have a quality starting edge on this roster to pair with Fowler. But until then, I sure hope that Snead keeps adding edge talent. Sigh...

Right on, ebu lacks that burst that you see from elite or even good players . Not saying he's terrible but you'll always be looking for an upgrade with a player like him. He could definitely be good but it's not going to be until his 4th or 5th year

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right on, ebu lacks that burst that you see from elite or even good players . Not saying he's terrible but you'll always be looking for an upgrade with a player like him. He could definitely be good but it's not going to be until his 4th or 5th year

And of course - he's a free agent after his 4th season. So the Rams develop him, and about the time he's actually good he gets expensive and maybe goes elsewhere. Worth having for now - but if the Rams have a good edge rusher drop to them, Ebu shouldn't keep them from drafting him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Disagree. Samson is scary athletic. To this point, what he has lacked is a great understanding of how to rush the passer.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
And of course - he's a free agent after his 4th season. So the Rams develop him, and about the time he's actually good he gets expensive and maybe goes elsewhere. Worth having for now - but if the Rams have a good edge rusher drop to them, Ebu shouldn't keep them from drafting him.
so he gets a big contract and we get a comp pick. win win

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
so he gets a big contract and we get a comp pick. win win

Yes, comp picks are nice. But the Rams need an edge rusher. They had to trade a comp pick for half a season of Fowler this past season. Actually, two edge rushers are needed. Which is why it is one of the priorities in this draft. There are other needs too, so the first or the second after trade down will fill whatever is the best value there. But they are thinking about their needs.

fearsomefour

Legend
He made some nice splash plays and was in the backfield quite a bit, just couldn't get there.
A little competition and observing some big names in training camp maybe he will at a few moves to his repertoire.
Then there's the mystery of Obo, hopefully he can get some reps
At the top level the divisions between backup and average start and average and top notch starter are not huge. It usually isn't athleticism.
Gaining better technique, understanding hand placement and how to use leverage. Understanding how to really prepare to exploit a Tackles weakness. Which may not be very apparent to a young player facing off against a savvy 10 yet vet for example. Developing a good, consistent counter move.
Hands, leverage, prep, counter move....all of those things could make a 2 sack a year guy an 8 sack a year a guy.....and all the extra pressures outside of the sacks.
Time will tell.
I like Matthews being added to the young guys. Fowler, Samson, Obo....long on potential, short on experience.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
At the top level the divisions between backup and average start and average and top notch starter are not huge. It usually isn't athleticism.
Gaining better technique, understanding hand placement and how to use leverage. Understanding how to really prepare to exploit a Tackles weakness. Which may not be very apparent to a young player facing off against a savvy 10 yet vet for example. Developing a good, consistent counter move.
Hands, leverage, prep, counter move....all of those things could make a 2 sack a year guy an 8 sack a year a guy.....and all the extra pressures outside of the sacks.
Time will tell.
I like Matthews being added to the young guys. Fowler, Samson, Obo....long on potential, short on experience.

I like Justin Lawler kid at 6”4 . As a rookie he was getting starter reps in early training camp.