Rams biggest/best accomplishment in 2014

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What was the Rams biggest/best accomplishment in 2014?

• Finishing 6-10 with no starting QB

• Beating Seattle, SF and Denver

• The rookie class

• Posting two shutouts in a row

• Overall defensive effort

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This season was a disappointment to us all, we all wanted and expected more. I get that, but leave any snarky, PD type comments out of my thread unless you want my foot up your ass :)

This is ROD, where we hang together tough and look at our Rams in a positive, yet constructively critical manner. I believe there were a few things this team can be proud of this past season.

If we could have gotten to 8-8, I would have chosen the win/loss record without a starting QB from day one accomplishment, but I can't quite vote that way.

I'm going with the 2014 rookie class.
Donald is a pro bowler, Robinson was pushed into LT duties after being initially groomed at LG and performed reasonably well, EJ Gaines was a sixth round steal, and Tre Mason looks like a solid RB with a nice combination of speed and power.

A55VA6

Legend
I went with the back-to-back shutouts. I don't care who you're playing - that's tough to do.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Thankfully, a silver lining thread its a close one between beating the hawks, SF & Denver and the rookie class, and the rookie class and purely off the backs of 2 players Gaines and Donald I'm going with the rookies...

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
The shutouts. I haven't seen that before, and that should include the 3 full games without a TD.

The rookies is 2nd. Donald and Gaines were outstanding. Mason was pretty good, Robinson did good with a shaky series here and there.

Other than that, I don't really see much outside of some good ST play that could be called an accomplishment. A backup QB should be able to go 6-10. Beating Seattle, Denver, and SF was kind of balanced by blowing big leads, losing to the Giants, losing to Arizona.

1. Finishing 6-10 with no starting QB
We finished 6-10, don't care about excuses, that's no where near an achievement.
2. Beating Seattle, SF and Denver
Yay we beat some playoff teams, kind of what you'd expect from year 3 of a coaching staff
3. The rookie class
After 5 attempts we finally drafted a Pro Bowler in the first round. Not an achievement in my book
4. Posting two shutouts in a row
Now that was impressive.
5. Overall defensive effort
Too inconsistent.

I'll go for 4. not as the best achievement, but as the only achievement.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. Finishing 6-10 with no starting QB
We finished 6-10, don't care about excuses, that's no where near an achievement.
2. Beating Seattle, SF and Denver
Yay we beat some playoff teams, kind of what you'd expect from year 3 of a coaching staff
3. The rookie class
After 5 attempts we finally drafted a Pro Bowler in the first round. Not an achievement in my book
4. Posting two shutouts in a row
Now that was impressive.
5. Overall defensive effort
Too inconsistent.

I'll go for 4. not as the best achievement, but as the only achievement.
Take a vacation until September...or go buy one of these...
th

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've gone with the shut outs simply because of the amount of time that had passed since it was last achieved by this team.

The 'there are no easy games in the NFL' cliche is thrown about a lot and that Oakland game was the very definition of easy but they gave some very good teams some trouble this season and only lost games by small margins.

The rookies come in second because there's a lot more to come from the guys that did play and those that didn't see as much time as maybe they hoped.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
2 shut outs is impressive - add to that the overall improvement by the D at about the half way point, the wins over some good teams and the fact we didn't have a QB and you can take some positives from yet another frustrating year. We're close....but not close enough again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I believe the biggest accomplishment is going to be moving away from Schotty. There is a chance Fish screws up the replacement, of course, by hiring a guy like Hackett. But IMO BS was holding this team back from becoming what it can be.

If Fish screws up the replacement hire, he will also be gone this time next year and rightly so. If he nails it, then this team will finally be able to thrive week to week and will finally see return on their offensive investments.

2nd would be the quality of this past draft. It was downright fantastic.

Oh and I consider GW to be the best thing to come from last season's failures BTW. Fish is finally gonna get this thing right, I gotta believe because the alternative is too painful to think about.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I went with the rookie class also.

Robinson, Donald, Mason and Gaines ... not just starters, but very solid starters - with more upside. Joyner has more upside as well, if the Rams ever finally start to play him where he should go (FS), I think we'll see more out of him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I went with wins over SF, Seattle and Denver. It shows we were capable.

The rookie class of 2014 is encouraging. But being a Rams fan has jaded me. I wait to see how many regress next season. It always seems to happen.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I picked beating Denver, Seattle, SF. More-so b/c the way they beat Denver ruined their season. I don't think I've seen any team beat a team in such fashion where they just stumble into irrelevancy.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm going with the draft we picked up some great players who have the potential to only get better. I just wish we didn't draft Joyner but you can't win them all.

jjab360

Legend
I went with the rookie class, that's what'll have the most effect on the future after all

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Although some of the teams we beat were impressive wins, I think two back-to-back shut outs is very impressive!(y)(y)

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went with the rookie class also.

Robinson, Donald, Mason and Gaines ... not just starters, but very solid starters - with more upside. Joyner has more upside as well, if the Rams ever finally start to play him where he should go (FS), I think we'll see more out of him.
Me too...The other poster mentioned 5 previous draftsm aking this good draft mean nothing?:gtfo:
Taken by itself, this may be the best draft since the Vermeil years

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't care if it's labeled an "excuse" or not... losing your QB before the season even starts is huge. And I expected the team to take a huge step back because of it. 6-10 is at least somewhat respectable.

That said, even if Sam gets hurt again, and even if it's worse than that and starts approaching 2011 territory, I think it's 8-8 or bust. Maybe even higher than that, but since Fisher is obviously Stan's guy, just starting the corner may be enough for a little more rope.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think getting the defensive players up to speed with the new (relatively) DC (Greg Williams) was the biggest accomplishment....It'll probably the same next year for the OC...