Rams' big question on special teams: Will Greg Zuerlein be back to old form?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Respectfully my friend, I only said I would be on board if they Drafted one of the top 2 kickers assuming one was available in the 6th and they liked him enough to actually do it.

Their last pick in the 6th round is not some lock to make the team so it's not a wasted pick on the top 2 ranked kickers imo. Again assuming they don't feel confident in GZ's recovery and they wanted insurance.

I agree that a UDFA kicker is more logical and I was just generalizing that if it happened, I would be on board should they draft one.
business-card-logo_white-background-smaller.jpg

We have Les Snead and McVay drafting. That 6th round pick is not only guaranteed to make the team, but also guaranteed to be an All Pro. ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-kickers

Metrics that Matter: The unpredictability of kickers
BY SCOTT BARRETT

DO KICKERS MATTER?

Last season, Greg Zuerlein and Stephen Gostkowski totaled more fantasy points (in standard leagues) than all tight ends and all but just six wide receivers. Eight different kickers outscored the No. 15 wide receiver in fantasy points. Only Antonio Brown and DeAndre Hopkins, among wide receivers, averaged more fantasy points per game than Zuerlein last season.

This was something of an abnormality. Last season, Zuerlein scored the third-most fantasy points of any kicker this past decade, and he did it in only 14 games. On a fantasy-point-per-game basis, he scored the most by any kicker this past decade, while Kansas City’s Harrison Butker ranked second-best. Gostkowski scored the fifth-most fantasy points this past decade, and now owns five of the eight highest-scoring seasons over this span.

The difference between the No. 1 and No. 12 kicker in fantasy points per game was 37 total fantasy points, or the difference between the No. 4 (Jarvis Landry) and No. 12 fantasy wide receiver (Golden Taint). In 2016 and 2015, the difference was much smaller (especially in PPR leagues), but clearly kickers do have some sort of an impact.

There is an edge in owning the highest-scoring kicker, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s worth investing in a high-end fantasy kicker. Why? Well, mostly, because it’s very hard to predict which kickers are going to score the most fantasy points.

In order to determine whether or not this is true, I spent some time looking at the correlations between various statistics and fantasy points scored by kickers. Here’s the result of my research:

View: https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/987506526972674048?tfw_site=pff&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.profootballfocus.com%2Fnews%2Ffantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-kickers

Notes: Don’t be fooled by the color-formatting — even fantasy points (which had the highest correlation) in our middle chart is considered as having a weak relationship to fantasy points scored in the following season. All of the statistics in our right-most chart are considered as having an extremely weak relationship to fantasy points scored in that week.

SEASON-LONG

Looking at these results, the data suggest that if forced to draft a kicker in a season-long league, your best bet is simply ranking them based on prior-year fantasy points scored.

Though, really, these correlations are so low that they’re basically insignificant. (They were, however, almost all better than ADP, which showed a 0.00 correlation.) The main conclusion from these results, then, is that kicker is scoring is almost completely random.

This is why my preferred strategy for drafting a kicker is not to bother. Instead, I’ll select a skill position player with upside who might rise in ADP amid preseason buzz and preseason games. I can then trade this player and make a quick profit, drop them for a kicker, or drop another player for a kicker right before Week 1. This strategy is especially useful in leagues that draft early. If forced to draft a kicker, I’ll typically wait until the last round.

Zuerlein currently has an ADP in the 12th round. He certainly put up some terrific numbers last year, but he’s also never finished higher than 20th-overall across his prior five seasons in the league. Gostkowski also has an ADP in the 12th round, and he’s been far more dependable, finishing top-two at the position in six of his last seven seasons.

Still, I’m much more likely to let someone else draft him, instead loading up on skill position players with upside. Among drafted players, Alvin Kamara, Dion Lewis, Deshaun Watson, and Alex Smith all had an ADP in the 13th round or later last season, and would have made a much larger impact to your starting lineups. Also, keep in mind, because kicker scoring is so random, they’re also easily replaced. Seemingly every week you can find a few top-10 kickers in fantasy points in your free agency pool.

WEEKLY

Based on weekly correlations, our results were similar, though the correlations here were even lower than in season-long, suggesting, again, our edge isn’t much greater than picking at random.

Even looking at trailing fantasy-point-per-game average (starting at Week 2 or Week 8), the correlation to in-week fantasy points scored was extremely low. The data suggest you might be better off streaming than just rostering a kicker based on in-season fantasy totals. Though, to be fair, the kickers on teams who frequently rank highest in implied total and spread are usually rostered.

If you are going to stream, you’re best off selecting kickers on teams that are heavy favorites with a high Vegas implied point total. This does make some sense intuitively. You want kickers on teams likely to score a lot of points (making frequent trips into the red zone), and unlikely to be trailing (forced into a situation where your offense might “go for it” on fourth down).

I did find a few more hacks for those desperate for an edge on FanDuel. Kickers averaged 8.3 fantasy points per game within my sample. Kickers at home averaged 8.5 fantasy points per game (+0.5 more than road kickers). Kickers playing in a dome averaged 8.7 fantasy points per game. Kickers in games with wind speeds of 20 miles per hour or more averaged only 7.7 fantasy points per game.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, fantasy scoring for kickers is incredibly random, and more random than any other position I’ve looked at (including defenses).

If you’re going to draft a kicker (again, I typically wouldn’t), I’d wait until the last round of your draft.

If you’re going to play on FanDuel, I’d lean toward lower-priced kickers on teams with a high implied point total and spread, but no matter you’re process, you’re not much better off than picking at random.

If you’re the commissioner of your fantasy league, I’d suggest getting rid of the position entirely.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Well here's hoping :shocking: that Greg the leg can get a leg up on things.:rockon:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've re-watched that several times. Greg barely kicking it with no follow through. I guess its a start.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Good to see GZ kicking. Looked like an easy motion to get started with.
In the world of recovering from back surgery this should be considered excellent progress for Greg the Leg. Hopefully he will be ready in three months for the start of the season but just kicking the ball now at all is a very good thing.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Just seeing him out there means the Rams are confident enough for his return this year.

A few more months we will see.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just saw pictures of the Rams OTA today and had fish and kicking. Seeing Greg the leg out there is a relieving site .

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
And to think just a few short years ago i was defending GZ vs some of you fine folks posting on this thread, lol, one of you were even clamoring to replace Gz with...lol, Roberto Aquayo, Fairbarin, most passionately may i add

Then again, most of you wanted Potato Chip Wentz, im pretty sure we got the better between the two

Zuerlein will be just fine

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
And to think just a few short years ago i was defending GZ vs some of you fine folks posting on this thread, lol, one of you were even clamoring to replace Gz with...lol, Roberto Aquayo, Fairbarin, most passionately may i add

Then again, most of you wanted Potato Chip Wentz, im pretty sure we got the better between the two

Zuerlein will be just fine
I was one of the few right there with you! He was declared a bust and people had to move on from him. And now look at him.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I was one of the few right there with you! He was declared a bust and people had to move on from him. And now look at him.

That is just a crock of crap. I NEVER called him a bust and wanted him replaced!

Oh wait a minute.............

I am new to this board. So sorry.

:pillowfight:

Love these emoticons. Another hold over from the fun RRF days.:LOL:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If the Rams aren't optimistic, I could see the Rams drafting a kicker - a late 6th (or tradedown) would make sense as insurance, if nothing more.
I think the fact that they didn't draft a kicker this year says something about their optimism towards Zeurliens return.

Psycho_X

Legend
I've re-watched that several times. Greg barely kicking it with no follow through. I guess its a start.

Yeah, ease back into it. Don't need to re-aggravate it in OTAs. Hopefully back to 100% by week 1. At least Ficken got some quality experience last year and was adequate in a worst case scenario.