Rams' big question on special teams: Will Greg Zuerlein be back to old form?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams' big question on special teams: Will Greg Zuerlein be back to old form?
By GARY KLEIN
APR 15, 2018 | 6:00 AM

Kicker Greg Zuerlein, punter Johnny Hekker and returner Pharoh Cooper were voted to the Pro Bowl. Snapper Jake McQuaide also was subsequently named and participated for the second consecutive year.

But the Rams and special teams coordinator John Fassel are always on the lookout for players who can contribute when assessing draft prospects

Cooper and fellow receiver Mike Thomas, selected in the 2016 draft, are recent examples of players who made their initial marks on special teams.

Third-year linebacker Cory Littleton, an undrafted free agent who could start alongside Mark Barron, is another who has made several big special-teams plays.

The Rams open voluntary offseason workouts Monday with one major question regarding special teams: What is the condition of Zuelerin's surgically repaired back?

Zuerlein led the NFL in scoring with 158 points despite being sidelined the last two regular-season games and the playoff loss against the Atlanta Falcons. He had physically struggled through a victory at Seattle before he had to undergo surgery.

With Zuerlein sidelined, the Rams signed Sam Ficken, a former Penn State player who had never attempted a regular-season kick in the NFL. Ficken struggled in his debut against the Tennessee Titans but finished strong in the division-clinching victory and was solid the rest of the way.

For insurance, in March the Rams put an exclusive free-agent tender on Ficken, meaning he cannot negotiate with other teams.

Ficken is expected to be released or traded if Zuerlein's back proves sound.

Under contract: Kicker Greg Zuerlein ($3.5 million), kicker Sam Ficken ($480,000), punter Johnny Hekker ($2.6 million), snapper Jake McQuaide ($1.3 million), returner Pharoh Cooper ($768,000).

Free agents: The Rams might add players with NFL experience who can play special teams but they are more likely to mine undrafted rookie free agents. Fassel has a history and knack for identifying and developing players who earn a spot on special teams and work their way into larger roles.

Draft: With a total of eight picks in the third, fourth and sixth rounds, the Rams will be looking for versatile players who can possibly contribute beyond their positions.

Roster decisions: The Rams re-signed McQuaide, keeping the trio of McQuaide, Zuerlein and Hekker intact for a seventh consecutive season. Zuerlein is signed through 2019, Hekker through 2022. Ficken's status will be determined by the condition of Zuerlein's back.

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All of us were spoiled last season as Greg Zuerlein was simply the best and had no equal IMHO besides maybe Justin Tucker of the Ravens. Sam Ficken scared me to death, not that he was that bad, but the Rams were different with Ficken, going for it more often then trotting out Zuerlein for a 51 yard field goal for example, I want no part of Ficken in 2018 and I doubt the Rams will get any compensation for Sam Ficken, I was not overly impressed by him, including kickoffs and again I realize Ficken did not have much time and might benefit from a full training camp, but regardless of how much I trust John Fassel, Sam Ficken would have never been my choice.

Regardless as long a Zuerlein has a full recovery, no worries and moving forward I only hope that I remember Sam Ficken as I remember Kicker Carlos Huerta, who replaced an injured Chip Lohmiller at the end of the 96 season and was then replaced by the free agent signing of Jeff Wilkins in 1997 and IMO, Huerta was a better kicker than Ficken.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Let's just pray to the football gods that Greg is 100%. And I agree... Fricken made me cringe every time he came in.

jap

Legend
Greg the Leg has to! return . . . if only to finally establish the NFL's FG distance record. Everyone & his|her grandmama has been waiting for this kid to set the FG distance mark ever since he was drafted as a rookie by the Horns. This guy has a combination of power and accuracy like few NFL kickers have ever displayed!

fearsomefour

Legend
The biggest issue with Ficken were his kickoffs. GZ can pin a touchback any time he wants and is good at directional kickoffs for coverage. Fickins kickoffs were much more returnable.

fearsomefour

Legend
Greg the Leg has to! return . . . if only to finally establish the NFL's FG distance record. Everyone & his|her grandmama has been waiting for this kid to set the FG distance mark ever since he was drafted as a rookie by the Horns. This guy has a combination of power and accuracy like few NFL kickers have ever displayed!
I want to see a 70 yard attempt in Mexico City.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The biggest issue with Ficken were his kickoffs. Fickins kickoffs were much more returnable.

Yes, his kickoffs and his inability to kick long field goals, other than that, Ficken was just fine.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I’ll bet that the Rams are all over GZ’s health status. Hope that they’re getting good news, ‘Cause GZ is expected to be a big part of our team scoring.

But one comforting thing is that Fassel is adept at finding players for his ST. Color me cautiously optimistic.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams aren't optimistic, I could see the Rams drafting a kicker - a late 6th (or tradedown) would make sense as insurance, if nothing more.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://sinicropispine.com/returning-football-herniated-disc-surgery/

Returning To Football After Herniated Disc Surgery
STEFANO SINICROPI

Recent Spine Study
For a recent study, researchers at the Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine sought to determine the return rate of NFL players who had undergone surgery to address a herniated cervical disc. They examined herniated discs in both the upper level and lower level of the spine as well as return to play timelines for 53 players who underwent the operation between 1979 and 2013, although full medical data was only available for 40 players. 15 players underwent surgery on an upper-level herniation, while 25 had surgery for lower-level injuries.

To determine if their level of play suffered after they returned to the field, researchers analyzed NFL game statistics to determine a “Performance Score.” Performance scores post-surgery were compared to scores collected prior to surgery to determine if level of play fell off after an operation.

Herniated Discs in Football
After examining the data, researchers uncovered:

• 67 percent of players with an upper level cervical disc herniation returned to play at a similar level of play after surgery.
  • 72 percent of players with a lower level cervical disc herniation returned to play at a similar level of play after surgery.
  • The average recovery was 9 months, which really shines a light on why JJ Watt’s return to field timeline was too quick.
  • After herniation surgery, the average player played another 44 games in their career.
  • 34 of the 40 players underwent a spinal fusion (an ACDF procedure), six players underwent a foraminotomy procedure, and four players needed an additional surgery after developing degenerative disc disease at a different vertebral level.
Researchers concluded that “most NFL players who undergo cervical spinal surgeries for cervical disc herniations are able to resume their careers,” and “return to play, and level of performance after returning to competition, appear similar for players with upper-level versus lower-level cervical injuries.”

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology. We have the capability to make the Worlds first bionic man. Greg Zeurlein will be that man. Better than he was before...better, stronger, faster..." (2012)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CPJ-AbCsT8

Hey Charlie! Get those bionic discs ready! Something strong enough to match those legs this time, dammit!
~Oscar Goldman

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
But one comforting thing is that Fassel is adept at finding players for his ST. Color me cautiously optimistic.

I feel that way about Fassel too, however, was not a fan of the Ficken signing. Did not like bringing in a player that had never made a roster and had the yips in college too. Felt a veteran would have been far better plus, it's not like Ficken had a big leg like Jake Elliott in Philadelphia or Harrison Butker in Kansas City.

Fassel judged the tryout based on a clean slate and the best kicker won the competition, but again, i would have factored in their history, but again, John Fassel is far better at judging talent than yours truly.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
kicking-a-field-goal.gif

Zuerlein might be 100% by the end of preseason or he might have a setback.

Nobody can guarantee he will be the kicker he was in 2017. We hope and it seems possible with the type of surgery he had but a backup plan is must thinking.

I would like to believe that the Rams brass isn't complacent with GZ and Sam Ficken as their only Plan.

If one of the top 2 rated field goal kickers slides to the 6th round, I'm on board for Drafting one to push Ficken as they wait out the final results of GZ's recovery.

Daniel Carlson, K, Auburn
Height: 6-4. Weight: 218.
Projected Round (2018): 4-6.

3/31/18: Carlson was 23-of-31 in 2017. Two misses came in the 40s, two were in the 50s, and one was in the 30-yard range. He was 4-of-8 in the 50-yard range with a long of 54, where he was good from twice. Carlson has a shot at being a mid-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

7/24/17: Carlson was 28-of-32 in 2016, including four field goals from over 50 yards away. His long for the year was 53 yards, and he connected from that distance twice. Carlson had a phenomenal season and was 4-of-7 in the 50-yard range and a perfect 6-for-6 in the 40-yard range.

Carlson was 23-for-27 (85 percent) as a sophomore in 2015. He made all 40 of his extra points. Carlson showed his strength with a long field goal of 56 yards. As a freshman, he was 18-of-24 (75 percent). Carlson hasn't missed an extra point entering his senior year.

Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida
Height: 6-0. Weight: 173.

3/31/18: Pineiro was 17-of-18 in 2017. His longest was 50 yards. He has a shot at being a mid-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

7/24/17: Pineiro has three years of eligibility, but will be a senior in the classroom in 2017 after starting out his collegiate career in the junior college ranks, but not playing football there. He became an internet legend when video of him making a 77-yard field goal went viral.

There was a fierce recruiting war over Pineiro, and he chose Florida over Alabama and Miami. In 2016, Pineiro kicked well for the Gators, connecting on 21-of-25 with long field goals of 54, 53 and 54 yards. Pineiro hit some clutch kicks for an offense that struggled to score points.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018K.php

0007.gif

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
kicking-a-field-goal.gif

Nobody can guarantee he will be the kicker he was in 2017. We hope and it seems possible with the type of surgery he had but a backup plan is must thinking.

I would like to believe that the Rams brass isn't complacent with GZ and Sam Ficken as their only Plan.

If one of the top 2 rated field goal kickers slides to the 6th round, I'm on board for Drafting one to push Ficken as they wait out the final results of GZ's recovery.

3/31/18: Carlson was 23-of-31 in 2017. Two misses came in the 40s, two were in the 50s, and one was in the 30-yard range. He was 4-of-8 in the 50-yard range with a long of 54, where he was good from twice. Carlson has a shot at being a mid-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

7/24/17: Carlson was 28-of-32 in 2016, including four field goals from over 50 yards away. His long for the year was 53 yards, and he connected from that distance twice. Carlson had a phenomenal season and was 4-of-7 in the 50-yard range and a perfect 6-for-6 in the 40-yard range.

Carlson was 23-for-27 (85 percent) as a sophomore in 2015. He made all 40 of his extra points. Carlson showed his strength with a long field goal of 56 yards. As a freshman, he was 18-of-24 (75 percent). Carlson hasn't missed an extra point entering his senior year.

Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida

3/31/18: Pineiro was 17-of-18 in 2017. His longest was 50 yards. He has a shot at being a mid-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

7/24/17: Pineiro has three years of eligibility, but will be a senior in the classroom in 2017 after starting out his collegiate career in the junior college ranks, but not playing football there. He became an internet legend when video of him making a 77-yard field goal went viral.

There was a fierce recruiting war over Pineiro, and he chose Florida over Alabama and Miami. In 2016, Pineiro kicked well for the Gators, connecting on 21-of-25 with long field goals of 54, 53 and 54 yards. Pineiro hit some clutch kicks for an offense that struggled to score points.

0007.gif
I really want GZ back... but that Pinero dude looks pretty decent in the 6th if he’s there.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
https://sinicropispine.com/returning-football-herniated-disc-surgery/

Returning To Football After Herniated Disc Surgery
STEFANO SINICROPI

Recent Spine Study
For a recent study, researchers at the Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine sought to determine the return rate of NFL players who had undergone surgery to address a herniated cervical disc. They examined herniated discs in both the upper level and lower level of the spine as well as return to play timelines for 53 players who underwent the operation between 1979 and 2013, although full medical data was only available for 40 players. 15 players underwent surgery on an upper-level herniation, while 25 had surgery for lower-level injuries.

To determine if their level of play suffered after they returned to the field, researchers analyzed NFL game statistics to determine a “Performance Score.” Performance scores post-surgery were compared to scores collected prior to surgery to determine if level of play fell off after an operation.

Herniated Discs in Football
After examining the data, researchers uncovered:

• 67 percent of players with an upper level cervical disc herniation returned to play at a similar level of play after surgery.
  • 72 percent of players with a lower level cervical disc herniation returned to play at a similar level of play after surgery.
  • The average recovery was 9 months, which really shines a light on why JJ Watt’s return to field timeline was too quick.
  • After herniation surgery, the average player played another 44 games in their career.
  • 34 of the 40 players underwent a spinal fusion (an ACDF procedure), six players underwent a foraminotomy procedure, and four players needed an additional surgery after developing degenerative disc disease at a different vertebral level.
Researchers concluded that “most NFL players who undergo cervical spinal surgeries for cervical disc herniations are able to resume their careers,” and “return to play, and level of performance after returning to competition, appear similar for players with upper-level versus lower-level cervical injuries.”

Yeah, I'm not a medical doctor and haven't had serious back troubles of my own, but this article is about cervical disc herniations. Weren't GZ's symptoms symptomatic of a disc herniation lower in the spine?

Regardless, if so, prognosis is still good:
Lumbar spine injuries are all-too common in athletes of all ages. While core strengthening and physical activity is necessary for a healthy back, high-level athletic activity can lead to significant low back injuries. Almost 14% of athletes at the NFL combine have a pre-existing lumbar spine diagnosis (such as a herniated intervertebral disc or a stress fracture).
The intervertebral discs are shock absorbers between the bones in the back. They are composed of a gel-like center portion (the nucleus pulposus) surrounded by a firm fibrous outer layer (the annulus fibrosis). If there is an injury to the outer fibrous layer, the inner portion can extrude out and compress local nerve roots (Figure 2). This often presents with pain shooting down a patient’s leg, and it may be associated with significant numbness, tingling and weakness in the leg.
. . . surgical treatment for a herniated disc does not preclude patients from returning to sports, as over 80% of athletes who develop a herniated intervertebral disc can return to sporting activity.
https://www.si.com/edge/2015/09/03/...thletes-back-injuries-tony-romo-dwight-howard

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
kicking-a-field-goal.gif

Eddy Pineiro, K, Florida

0007.gif

Respectfully, my friend, I don't think we need to draft a Kicker. If GZ is okay, it's a wasted pick. Sign one in UDFA or FA if we're worried.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
GZ will be back fine and dandy. Just a shame he couldnt break the points scored in a season record due to his injury. Was on pace to shatter points scored in a season for a kicker and break the overall record. Now that this offense has had another offseason to gel with this offensive playbook I dont think GZ will have to opportunity to break those records in 2018 as I think we will score more td's, which will result in less FG attempts.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Respectfully, my friend, I don't think we need to draft a Kicker. If GZ is okay, it's a wasted pick. Sign one in UDFA or FA if we're worried.

Respectfully my friend, I only said I would be on board if they Drafted one of the top 2 kickers assuming one was available in the 6th and they liked him enough to actually do it.

Their last pick in the 6th round is not some lock to make the team so it's not a wasted pick on the top 2 ranked kickers imo. Again assuming they don't feel confident in GZ's recovery and they wanted insurance.

I agree that a UDFA kicker is more logical and I was just generalizing that if it happened, I would be on board should they draft one.
business-card-logo_white-background-smaller.jpg