Rams Begin OTA'S

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rams-Begin-OTAs-in-Oxnard/653a9709-2c92-4298-913b-29d389d1720b

The Rams have officially reached Phase III of the offseason program, as they held their first of nine OTAs on Tuesday afternoon.

“It’s really exciting to get everybody together,” head coach Jeff Fisher told therams.com following practice. “For those who don’t know, it’s the first time where we could interact with offense and defense. So we’ve been on the field off and on for the last month, but they’re in great shape.”

Per the NFL rules set in the latest collective bargaining agreement, there are three phases of the offseason program. The first consists of only strength and conditioning work on the field, though coaches may discuss Xs and Os in the classroom. In Phase II, coaches may interact with players on the field, but must keep the offense and defense completely separate. Now, the Rams may have both offense and defense on the same field at the same time.

That fact brings about plenty of competition, and on Tuesday L.A. harnessed that energy through one-on-one drills. In one such activity, position groups went against one another with a simple objective. For the quarterback and receiver: complete the pass. For the defender: force an incompletion.

With the season so far away, it’s a time where the best will go up against the best — like linebacker Alec Ogletree and running back Todd Gurley. Or cornerback Trumaine Johnson and wide receiver Tavon Austin.

Aside from that type of competition, Fisher said the plan for Phase III is to go through the second of three playbook installation processes.

“We’ve already done that once,” Fisher said. “You do it before OTAs, then during OTAs, then once again in training camp. So we’re just going back. And then we’re going to put them in a lot of different situations — in two-minute stuff, and some hurry up.”

While the defense should look similar in its third year under coordinator Gregg Williams, the Rams have changed many elements of their offense. After taking over with four games to go in 2015, Rob Boras remains at offensive coordinator. Plus, the team hired Mike Groh to be its passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

Fisher said he’s already noticed growth for the receivers under Groh, specifically mentioning Brian Quick. The head coach expects the new-look offense to significantly increase wide receiver Tavon Austin’s production.

“When it’s all said and done, we’ll be able to look back and, I think, see Tavon maybe double in catches over what he had last year,” Fisher said. “And that’s the most important thing, is just get the chunks down the field.”

As for who will be throwing Austin those passes, quarterback Case Keenum was the first to take snaps under center on Tuesday. Fisher said Keenum received between 60 to 70 percent of the Day 1 reps. And while that situation will likely change sooner than later with rookie Jared Goff’s expected development, Fisher isn’t concerned about the sense of competition between the QBs.

“The room’s not an issue because all of them are professional,” Fisher said. “But they also understand that the reps are going to change. And as soon as Jared comes along in becoming more familiar with things, then we’ll start increasing his reps. So there’s a lot of reps to go around.”

According to the head coach, the No. 1 overall pick handled his first reps of OTAs well, just as expected.

“I’ve watched him throw a lot of balls, and he did fine,” Fisher said. “He’s accurate. He knows where to put it. He knows what shoulder to put it on. It’s just a matter of putting it all together. Today was good for him because he got to go up against a defense — a defense that was running full speed that’s somewhat sophisticated.”

While Goff didn’t take reps with the unit today, Fisher said he’ll mix in Goff with the first-team offense sooner than later.

“As soon as Jared comes along in becoming more familiar with things, then we’ll start increasing his reps,” Fisher said. “I want to make sure he gets “one” reps at least two, three, or four days through the OTAs.”

And so with Day 1 in the books, Fisher said the team is off to a good start for Phase III.

“Everybody we expected to be here was here,” Fisher said, “and I felt we got in a lot of good work for the first day.”

lockdnram21

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hopefully Groh Turns one of our Big receivers into Alshon. Fish say he mentoring Quick. Not drinking that Look aid this year. But think with him say I g that this early Quick ai t going no where

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
“As soon as Jared comes along in becoming more familiar with things, then we’ll start increasing his reps,” Fisher said. “I want to make sure he gets “one” reps at least two, three, or four days through the OTAs.”

I think that says it all. A direct quote from Fisher that he's going to feed Goff reps with the 1's in OTA. If he handles those the way we all think he will then his timeline should be accelerated nicely to get a lot of reps with the 1's once camp breaks.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Damn, Tavon is going to catch 100 balls this year? I think the kid can do it. But that's a pretty big prediction to make.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'd like to see Quick click the light switch :) He seemed to be on that path pre-injury. If he can make that happen? we are going to be in great shape. There we go talking about IF's again

TexasRam

Legend
The likelihood of Quick breaking out - Not Very.

The likelihood of Tavon doubling his catches in Goff year 1 - Not Very.

The likelihood of our offense getting better as the season goes on - Very.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hopefully Groh Turns one of our Big receivers into Alshon. Fish say he mentoring Quick. Not drinking that Look aid this year. But think with him say I g that this early Quick ai t going no where
Easy for you to say.

Hard for me to understand. :mustache:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Damn, Tavon is going to catch 100 balls this year? I think the kid can do it. But that's a pretty big prediction to make.
It is, and tbh my hope is that someone else steps up or emerges into that 100 reception/1000 yd role.
That Gurley/Tavon rushing combo was very effective last season with all the speed & misdirection stuff. Imagine how much more effective it would be with a 1000 yd WR on the outside...or a legit threat at TE or in the slot.

Of course i'd like to see Tavon's role expand a bit as a receiver on the outside, but not at the expense of what worked really well at the LOS last season. There is no one else on the roster who can pose a threat running around East and West pre-snap with Gurley back there like Tavon can. Defenses had some trouble with those formations and sets.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Was watching nfl live today, don't laugh, and they started with the Rams ota. They go through what the Rams gave up for Goff and then Wingo asks, almost rhetorically, that after watching the Rams last season did anyone think they were just a qb away from making the playoffs. Predictably hoge and Bettis said they were very far away from the playoffs. I believe these people just look at the stats and don't know a thing about the team.

They were slurping up the Raiders and jaguars though. They must have read the memo from front office.

TexasRam

Legend
So-It-Begins.gif

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John

Was watching nfl live today, don't laugh, and they started with the Rams ota. They go through what the Rams gave up for Goff and then Wingo asks, almost rhetorically, that after watching the Rams last season did anyone think they were just a qb away from making the playoffs. Predictably hoge and Bettis said they were very far away from the playoffs. I believe these people just look at the stats and don't know a thing about the team.

They were slurping up the Raiders and jaguars though. They must have read the memo from front office.

Bettis didn't miss an opportunity to be dismissive of the Rams?! :shocked: He can't stand this organization, and has "thorn-colored-glasses" on when discussing the Rams.

tempests

Hall of Fame
He can't stand this organization, and has "thorn-colored-glasses" on when discussing the Rams.

No, he can't stand Rich Brooks. He has always liked Kroenke, Georgia, Shaw etc. And they liked him.

Isn't well known, but after Bettis tore the Rams defense a new one in his first year as a Steeler, while Brooks was blathering about how even he could've run through the holes in the Ram defense, Kroenke went into the Pittsburgh locker room and congratulated Bettis on the game he had.

Understandable that those outside of the Ram organization are skeptical, given their track record. And more accurately, the Rams need a full season of good QB play to make the playoffs. Tough for any rookie QB to come in and lead a team to 1st place in one of the toughest divisions in sports.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
No, he can't stand Rich Brooks. He has always liked Kroenke, Georgia, Shaw etc. And they liked him.

Isn't well known, but after Bettis tore the Rams defense a new one in his first year as a Steeler, while Brooks was blathering about how even he could've run through the holes in the Ram defense, Kroenke went into the Pittsburgh locker room and congratulated Bettis on the game he had.

Understandable that those outside of the Ram organization are skeptical, given their track record. And more accurately, the Rams need a full season of good QB play to make the playoffs. Tough for any rookie QB to come in and lead a team to 1st place in one of the toughest divisions in sports.
Good story. I never knew that about Kroenke, but it doesn't surprise me. He get's beat up pretty good, but seems like a fair man to me.

I still see disdain from Bettis with the Rams, though. And yes, Goff and the Rams will have an adjustment period. That's why I say 11-5, rather than 13-3.:sneaky:

Ram65

Legend
Rams.com stepping it up. Great 1st day OTA stuff.

Go Quick!
Go Goff!
Go TA!
Go Defense!
Go New Guys!

It going to be exciting to see this Rams team grow this year and in future years! The arrow is pointing up!:yay:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

60 receptions and 40 rushes for a total of 100 opportunities to touch the ball.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Fisher said he’s already noticed growth for the receivers under Groh, specifically mentioning Brian Quick
The Brian Quick looks like Alshon Jefferies comparisons have already begun....Time for Quick to step up...

and personally, I'd like to see more 1 year and 2 year contracts....3 years at the most for some of these players...Make them earn it....

Damn, Tavon is going to catch 100 balls this year?
whew that's a huge jump...lets see it...
http://lasportshub.com/2016/05/29/tavon-austin-poised-to-have-a-big-year-in-l-a/

Tavon Austin poised to have a big year in L.A.
by Keith Rivas 2 days ago Follow @bkrivas95
We could see Tavon Austin develop into something special in Los Angeles.

The new change of scenario is great for the Rams franchise, and the idea of getting a fresh start on the offensive end isn’t a bad place for the team to be either.

That in mind, wide receiver Tavon Austin has to go into this next season with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, despite the reality of lofty expectations for the former top-ten pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Developing other weapons on offense like running back Todd Gurley and rookie quarterback Jared Goff will be crucial in Austin’s further development and role with the team.

As a report from SB Nation’s Turf Show Times explains, the emphasis for this next season is on how Los Angeles uses Austin, as that will make all the difference on the field.

Expectations for Austin are only going to increase now that the Rams added two receiving threats in Pharoh Cooper and Michael Thomas.

Austin was practically ineffective during the 2014-15 season, scoring no touchdowns on 31 catches, 44 targets, and 15 games played in his sophomore year in the NFL.

Compared to last year, however, Austin’s vision on the field, explosiveness, and ability to weave in, around, and even through defenses is getting better with more experience.

And the numbers speak for themselves.

While Austin has only gotten nine touchdowns during his tenure in the league, five of them came from the chaotic Rams offense of a year ago.

If Los Angeles can provide stability at the quarterback position throughout at least the majority of the season, Austin should do just fine if he’s continually given the opportunity to perform.

The Rams can get the help they need from Austin, he just needs this season to go out and prove himself on the field away from the lofty goals he failed to reach in St. Louis.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Seven guys caught over 100 passes last year, so I think this is Fisherspeak. Austin needs to be in the 80's for sure though. He's gotta get the damn ball LOL.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It is, and tbh my hope is that someone else steps up or emerges into that 100 reception/1000 yd role.
That Gurley/Tavon rushing combo was very effective last season with all the speed & misdirection stuff. Imagine how much more effective it would be with a 1000 yd WR on the outside...or a legit threat at TE or in the slot.

Of course i'd like to see Tavon's role expand a bit as a receiver on the outside, but not at the expense of what worked really well at the LOS last season. There is no one else on the roster who can pose a threat running around East and West pre-snap with Gurley back there like Tavon can. Defenses had some trouble with those formations and sets.
I really like your thoughts on this^ Mojo! I just don't want them to try going to Tavon "Deep!" too often, that doesn't seem to work too well!!;)