Rams & Bears: Gray's Grades/Bradford/Draft Tidbit etc 101 ESPN

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STL-Rams

Starter
Shane Gray provides special Rams commentaries on 101sports.com. Follow him on Twitter @ShaneGmoSTLRams.

Quarterback:

St. Louis Rams quarterback Kellen Clemens – coming off three consecutive positive games, including two solid starts (vs. the Tennessee Titans and Chicago Bears) and a spectacular one (at the Indianapolis Colts) – fell flat Sunday in a key NFC West showdown against the San Francisco 49ers.

On the day, Clemens went just 19 for 37 (51 percent) for 218 yards, a touchdown, an interception and a rating of 67.2.

Although Clemens generally struggled with accuracy throughout the game, he wasn’t helped by a bevy of dropped balls that seemingly could have been caught.

According to St. Louis head coach Jeff Fisher, even though Clemens admitted that he was erratic, targets have to pull in passes that are within reach.

“You want to see the guys make the tough catch,” Fisher said. “I appreciate Kellen taking responsibility for it, but guys are out there, they’ve got to make the catch. So, there was a little of that. Balls were a little off target a little bit, but they still should be made.”

So while Clemens undoubtedly struggled, his numbers could have been at least a little better if not for a plethora of drops from several players, including multiple drops from both tight end Jared Cook and wide receiver Chris Givens.

On the other hand, Clemens’ statistical totals could have been even worse than realized if not for garbage-time completions and a touchdown pass to close out the game’s final drive.

Clemens’ outing was clearly was a significant step back and should serve us a reminder to all within Rams Nation that, while a very solid backup with terrific moxie and enough talent to help you win a few games in reserve, he is not an acceptable long-term answer under center.

Grade: D

(Each position graded and analyzed with some big picture analysis and a little draft talk as well via link below. Thanks for reading):

http://www.101sports.com/2013/12/04/st- ... ys-grades/

duckhunter

Starter
Too many Bs for a loss where we really weren't close. Refuse time made it look closer than it was. We got our asses handed to us.

Coaching deserves no better than D+. I saw one outside CB with over 10 yards off coverage at the snap on a 3rd and 5. WTF is that. That's BS. Mail it in Jeff if you don't want to play football.

Alan

Legend
Good to read your stuff again Shane. Been too long.:bigup:

I can't comment on your grades because I won't see the game until tomorrow but they seem to be appropriate from what I've read.

I do have a question about the grade you gave for coaching. Do you grade them for their performance during the game only or did you lower it for the lack of preparation during the week leading up to the game. I ask that because you talked about the penalties, which I agree can be laid (in large part) at the feet of the coaches but I don't see how anyone could hold that against them in the game itself.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
plug in qb wr combo here and that is the story over the last couple years.
he wasn’t helped by a bevy of dropped balls that seemingly could have been caught.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Too many Bs for a loss where we really weren't close. Refuse time made it look closer than it was. We got our asses handed to us.

Coaching deserves no better than D+. I saw one outside CB with over 10 yards off coverage at the snap on a 3rd and 5. WTF is that. That's BS. Mail it in Jeff if you don't want to play football.
+1

nighttrain

Legend
thanks fir the write up Shane, B's to offensive and defensive lines right on track, LB's showed also, weak spots, receivers and DB's. Team cant win if it drops the ball, and allows opponent a free field to catch.
train

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I pretty much agree with the grades and the comments, but I don't see that game as much of a regression as was alluded to.

Sure they didn't look as crisp against the 49ers, but compare that run defense to the Bears. They needed a somewhat successful passing game to compliment the running game that I'm proud to say played well enough in their own to give the team a chance to win. But dropped balls and sloppy accuracy killed any chance for a win.

I'm just giving the 49ers credit, sure they aren't they best in the west anymore. But as a system they were able to take away what we do best and exploit our weaknesses.

I'm afraid that they will have a hard time against the Cardinals as well without Bradford, I'm just crossing my fingers.

jap

Legend
The hardest teams to play are generally divisional foes. They know our strengths and weaknesses better than anyone else. Of course, we know them just as well.