Rams at supplemental draft workout for DL LaKendrick Ross

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Eleven NFL teams attend Monday workout for supplemental draft entrant
Posted by Mike Wilkening on July 7, 2014

rogergoodell2014nfldraftxi_dvwmjhocl-e1399644386274.jpg
Getty Images

Eleven NFL clubs attended a Monday workout for a defensive lineman eligible for the 2014 supplemental draft.

The Bears, Cardinals, Chiefs, Colts, Eagles, Falcons, 49ers, Patriots, Raiders, Rams and Texans watched former Virginia University of Lynchburg defensive lineman LaKendrick Ross go through drills, agent Glen Lansky told PFT on Monday night.

Multiple other media outlets first reported word of Ross’ Virginia workout, including WVEC-TV, NFLDraftDiamonds.com and National Football Post.

According to Lansky, Ross measured in at 6-foot-4 and 366 pounds on Monday. He is only 21 years old, Lansky told PFT.

Ross played just the 2012 season of college football at Virginia-Lynchburg before being ruled ineligible for 2013, his agent told PFT. He was slated to begin his collegiate career at Morgan State in 2011, but he never played for the school, according to Lansky.

The supplemental draft will be held this month.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't know anything about this guy, but I have to think this is just due diligence.

After all, how many defensive linemen do we need?

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I don't much about the guy, can never have too many d lineman. Is anyone here familiar with his play?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
That's better than all the tight ends like Linseed Oil did

BTW ya think he's an end at 366lbs?
I thought about making the Linehan TE reference myself... but I've overused that one lately.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
I'd suspect he'd be a nose tackle at that weight.

If the dude's a player, who cares what position he plays though? No one ever complained about having too much depth.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
...why? We have amazing depth at DT. Who would get bumped for him? Brockers, Langford, Donald, Carrington? I guess they could take him to compete for the 9th DL spot against the edge guys Sam and Westbrooks, or to try and slip him onto the PS...

BD-TomCat

Rookie
6-4 366 sounds like a backup for Brockers on Run downs. he could possibly be Conraths replacement if he is any good

Boffo97

Name
Dave
...why? We have amazing depth at DT. Who would get bumped for him? Brockers, Langford, Donald, Carrington? I guess they could take him to compete for the 9th DL spot against the edge guys Sam and Westbrooks, or to try and slip him onto the PS...
Because he's been our secret WR plan all along? ;)

(actually with Robinson's monster 40 time for an OL, I half wanted to try him at WR. ;) )

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken it cost us Draft picks from the 2015 Draft if we pickup someone in the 'Supplemental Draft'. I don't care for the idea of giving up Draft picks, unless it's for someone REALY special! Aside from his weight, of 366, I don't see anything that jumps out about him.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
If going just off his size, Maybe they bring him in to be Langford's backup. Carrington and Donald are both 3-techs. Langford played well last year but he does a have a high cap number and is certainly the vet of the group. Fisher did have Albert Haynesworth on his line in Tenn...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
6-4 366 sounds like a backup for Brockers on Run downs. he could possibly be Conraths replacement if he is any good
I struggle to see many people that size actually playing well. Who's been successful over 360#? Kris Jenkins is listed at 360. I can't think of any others.

Haynesworth is listed at 350. BJ Raji in the 320s. Wilfork 325. Shaun Rogers is 350.

I don't see that build translating to an effective NFL athlete.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well, it's the slow part of the offseason, so I guess it's not bad to take a look to see if they think he's a future star if coached up right. But yeah, unless they think there is a good chance of that - there just isn't room - not enough at least to give up a draft pick for him, even a 7th rounder. There will be needs we can't even predict when the 2015 draft comes around, and the Redskin bonanza is over, so the Rams can't afford to waste picks for somebody who is unlikely to make the team at the team's deepest area.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not mistaken it cost us Draft picks from the 2015 Draft if we pickup someone in the 'Supplemental Draft'. I don't care for the idea of giving up Draft picks, unless it's for someone REALY special! Aside from his weight, of 366, I don't see anything that jumps out about him.
It could be as low as a 7th, the Rams are just doing due diligence,I promise you if we give a draft choice for him he's a freakish athlete not just a big tubagoo.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
Josh Gordon was a 2nd round supplemental draft pick. I have no idea who Ross is. I could see us spend a 7th round pick on the dude, but besides that I'll pass on this beluga whale.

jap

Legend
That's better than all the tight ends like Linseed Oil did

BTW ya think he's an end at 366lbs?

If half of his weight resides in his end, perhaps he's one by default if not by position. :sneaky: