Rams at Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
D4C6A7A1-55E4-4E08-8086-0B6DABAC17D5_zpsae5i9ydx.jpg

Game Preview: Rams, Cowboys to Face Off in Week 4

The Rams will be on the road for the second-straight week this Sunday as they travel to Arlington to take on the Cowboys at AT&T Stadium. The Week 4 contest brings together two teams that share a rich history and rivalry together, dating back to their first game in 1960.

“I’ve always been a fan of the game [and] you have an appreciation for what’s taken place before,” first-year head coach Sean McVay said of the history between teams. “I think that embracing that history is part of it, [but] I also think it’s important to know that this is a storied franchise on both ends and we’ve got a great challenge.”

The series has spanned 57 years and 32 games, but Sunday will mark the first regular-season since 2014, when the Cowboys mounted a comeback to defeat the Rams 34-31.

However, this season’s contest will look a bit different from the last. Dallas’ offense now features the dynamic duo of quarterback Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott and the team is coming off a 13-3 finish, while Los Angeles enters the game under a different coaching staff and with many new faces on both sides of the ball.

“What coach Garrett’s done with his team, it’s going to be a great challenge and an excellent atmosphere,” McVay said. “And I know our guys are looking forward to it.”

One thing the two teams will have in common entering Week 4 is their records, as both the Cowboys and the Rams will look to improve to 3-1. But after recording a 4-12 record last year, it’s Los Angeles that has the most to prove. Not only does the team sit in sole possession of the top spot in the NFC West, but also the offense as a whole has shown immense improvement under McVay.

“We know that we’re going to have to be at our best to get our third win against an excellent Cowboys team,” he said. “They go 13-3 last year, 7-1 at home, with great road win for them this week. I’ve got a lot of respect for this organization and head coach Jason Garrett, just from having gone against them a couple times a year, so it’s going to be a great challenge for us.”

The tough matchup against the Cowboys — highly regarded as one of the league’s top-tier programs — should provide a benchmark test of sorts for the Rams as they enter the second quarter of the season.

“It’s an opportunity for us to go up against a great team and see where we are and how far we have come,” Gurley said. “Every week you have to come with it and if you can finish, this is the first quarter of the season. If you can finish 3-1, you are going to be right where you want to be.”

The Rams are currently the league's highest-scoring team through three games with 107 points and quarterback Jared Goff has looked vastly improved over his rookie season. Goff enters Sunday’s game with 817 passing yards, five touchdowns and just one interception, while running back Todd Gurley was named September’s NFC Offensive Player of the Month after recording an 149-yard, three touchdown performance in Week 3.

An improved receiving corps and offensive line has also bolstered the offense through the addition of dynamic playmakers like Robert Woods and Sammy Watkins as well as strong veterans on the line like center John Sullivan and left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

And though the Cowboys strong suit is their offense, the Rams will still need to be ready for a tough Dallas defense. On the offensive line, expect the right side — comprised of right guard Jamon Brown and right tackle Rob Havenstein — to be challenged by defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. The NFC Defensive Player of the Month has 6.5 sacks this season and has been one of the most consistent players on the Cowboys’ defensive line.

“I think when you just flip on the tape, he’s a scary player,” McVay said. “Excellent effort, he’s got a variety of ways that he can get to the quarterback and they move him around, I think he plays the run very well as well. He’s done a great job by winning his one-on-ones and that’s what the great players in this league do and he’s certainly playing like that right now.”

And although Gurley may not need to worry about linebacker Sean Lee — who will be a gametime decision for Sunday — middle linebacker Jaylon Smith is also a dominant force on the Dallas defense. In Monday night’s game against the Cardinals, Smith recorded seven tackles and a forced fumble.

In the secondary, Rams’ receivers will face a young, but challenging group of cornerbacks and safeties including Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods. The duo combined for nine tackles and two pass deflections in Week 3.

“I mean, they do a lot of different things. They’re very multiple and have changed some of the stuff they’ve done,” Goff said. “They mix up coverages, mix up fronts, mix up blitzes and do a good job of it. I think they’re talented in all three phases.”

“[They’re] a good defense, we see them flying around,” Woods said. “A fast defense and they’re able to just disguise [their coverages]. They play solid, fly to the ball and they are a fast group of guys that like to attack the quarterback and attack the ball.”

While Dallas’ does boast a strong defense, the real challenge for the Rams does not lie with their offense. Instead, defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and the Los Angeles defense will have to answer a tough question come Sunday: Can the Rams defense stop Prescott and a high-powered Cowboys’ offense?

“[It’s] a premiere challenge,” defensive coordinator and former Cowboys’ head coach Wade Phillips said. “You know, when you’re playing a really good offensive team, that’s when you have to step up and be a really good defensive team. I think we’ll get better in some of the areas that we need to, but we’ll find out.”

The Rams’ defense has been a bit up-and-down this season, starting off the season on a high against the Colts, but allowing a combined 66 points and 806 yards in their last two games. But many players, like defensive tackle Aaron Donald, do not seem worried.

“I feel like it wasn’t as bad as we thought,” Donald said of last week’s performance against the 49ers. “We definitely made a lot of mistakes here and there. But it’s nothing that we can’t clean up. And I’d rather it happen now — early — than later. So we’re going to be good.”

Fortunately for the Rams this week, outside linebacker Connor Barwin has a lot of experience playing against the Cowboys and had some tips on how to stop the formidable Dallas’ offense, led by Prescott and Elliott.

“In my experience last year, the quarterback is the real deal,” Barwin said. “He can really do it all. He can make plays from outside the pocket, he can make plays from inside the pocket and then he can make plays with his feet. So we will have to be at our best against him.”

“It’s a common theme — You stop them, you stop them, and then a guy gets out of their gap and Ezekiel will crease you for a 40-yard run,” he continued. “ We would play really well against him at times, but as soon as one guy makes a mistake up front, Ezekiel is great at getting north very quickly. So it’s about being focused and physical for the entire game, for 60 snaps not 50 snaps and that is how you stop the run.”

In the secondary, one matchup to watch this week will be between cornerback Trumaine Johnson and wide receiver Dez Bryant. Though Dallas has a slew of other offensive weapons, including tight end Jason Witten, stopping Bryant will be a No. 1 priority for the Rams and Johnson seemed ready for the challenge after practice on Thursday.

“He’s a competitor and he’s a dog,” Johnson said. “I have been playing Dez since I have been in the league and I will have to be aggressive with him, I have to be ready to compete and it’s going to be fun. I can’t wait.”

Overall, Week 4 should be one of the toughest games the Rams have faced thus far and could come down to a series of key matchups on both sides. Kickoff for the Rams vs. Cowboys is set for 10 A.M. To find out where you can watch the contest, click here.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Opponent-Breakdown-Prescott-Presents-Dual-Threat-at-QB/8cc7109d-fedf-4e1d-aa33-3e945a530c4f

Opponent Breakdown: Prescott Presents Dual Threat at QB

Quarterback Dak Prescott was named the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2016 after leading the Cowboys to a 13-3 record — its best finish since 2007.

While Dallas largely relied on their run game, led by fellow rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott, Prescott surprised much of the league with his play as a fourth-round pick after Tony Romo suffered a back injury during the preseason. Prescott ended up completing 67.8 percent of his passes for 3,667 yards with 23 touchdowns and four interceptions — good for the league’s No. 3 passer rating at 104.9.

Playing under head coach Dan Mullen at Mississippi State, Prescott said he feels scouts and NFL personnel men may have underestimated his throwing ability when he entered the draft.

“I think so in a way, particularly because of the system I was in,” Prescott said, but pointed out in his “senior year, we threw it a lot more and I ran it a lot less — so I’m not going to let scouts get all the way clean on that one.”

And it’s true — as a junior in 2014, Prescott had 396 passing attempts and 210 carries, racking up 3,449 yards passing and 986 yards rushing. But the following year, Prescott had 477 passing attempts and 160 rushes, accumulating 3,793 yards through the air and 588 on the ground.

Prescott hasn’t run half as much in the league — he had only 282 yards rushing last year — but he clearly knows how to use his legs effectively to make plays. Prescott had six rushing touchdowns in 2016, and scored one with an acrobatic flip in Monday’s game against the Cardinals.

Still, most of the time when Prescott uses his legs, he’s looking to throw. And the Cowboys’ strong run game assists in the quarterback’s ability. In the Cardinals’ game, for instance, Prescott rolled to his right twice and to hit Brice Butler with a 37-yard touchdown pass and a 53-yard pass.

This week, Prescott said that’s a skillset he’s been developing for a while.

“That goes way back to [when I] was starting to play quarterback in high school, and just being the athlete I am, and using my ability and my feet to extend plays, and then to run past the line of scrimmage and make plays there as well,” Prescott said. “Now in the NFL, it’s just about being smart about using my feet, knowing when to [run] against certain coverages or when things break down, being able to use my feet to get out of pressure, to make plays down the field or just simply to run and to get a first down and avoid and make a play.”

Playing for the Eagles last year, Rams outside linebacker Connor Barwin squared off against Prescott twice and came away impressed.

“In my experience last year, the quarterback is the real deal,” Barwin said. “He can really do it all, can make the plays from outside the pocket, can make plays from inside the pocket and then can make plays with his feet. So, we will have to be at our best against him.”

"You have to be disruptive and you have to stay on him,” Barwin added. “When you get pressure in the pocket, you have to make plays and keep him in the pocket. And then when he gets out of the pocket you have to have guys on him and you have to great in coverage at the back end.”

Defensive coordinator Wade Phillips had high praise as well, in a way comparing Prescott’s accomplishments to Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s first few NFL seasons.

“I mean he’s going into the Roethlisberger plane of a quarterback that comes in and really plays well early,” Phillips said. “It wasn’t just him, obviously, but everybody knows the quarterback’s a big, big part of it. Maybe the biggest in most situations and now they’re 2-1 this year and he’s really playing well.

“He doesn’t throw interceptions, he makes big plays running the ball or scrambling and throwing it, so I don’t see any flaws in him,” Phillips continued. “You pressure him, they have a good line and that helps too, but you pressure him and he throws to the right people.”

With Prescott and the multiple weapons on the Dallas offense, Phillips said the Rams will have to improve this week.

“You know, when you’re playing a really good offensive team, that’s when you have to step up and be a really good defensive team,” Phillips said. “I think we’ll get better in some of the areas that we need to, but we’ll find out. That’s why we play the game, to see what happens, but I like our group.”

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I have some inside info, from the Dallas Locker-Room! After viewing the Film on the Rams so far this season, the Team was polled, and to a man, they where like ....
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
huh cowboys go huh.gif
.." WTF!! How in the Hell can we stand up against that Offence!?!
And then there's Wade's "D", and He's Mad at us!"
-footballpileup-.gif
" Shit! is there anyway to just Concede this game and go home!
#1.png
.. We gunna get Whipped!!"

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Our boy has been getting some heck lately, so I’m gonna show him some support today.

FFC40D0F-3E1F-4ED0-AF4C-2335933A200B.jpeg

Do work, son.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I was really surprised this morning to see the game is not on here locally in NorCal. Good thing I still pay for the Sunday Ticket.

Ram65

Legend
No double header on FOX in Phila London then Eagle late afternoon game. There is always streaming.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What is Ethan Westbrook's status?
I saw photos of him in Practice Thursday! But I have also heard they are moving Brockers from NT to DT, and moving Walker to NT, So I have no clue what to expect!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I saw photos of him in Practice Thursday! But I have also heard they are moving Brockers from NT to DT, and moving Walker to NT, So I have no clue what to expect!

Seems like Tyrunn has been a force when he's been in there. Anyone else seeing that?