Rams at Colts: 7 things to watch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7c9e2fbc-00c3-5786-a34e-337df8777e23.html

By Jim Thomas

ZAC ATTACK

Since Zac Stacy stepped into the starting lineup for Game 5, against Jacksonville, only Eddie Lacy has rushed for more yards in the NFL. Stacy has 471 yards over that span; Lacy, also a rookie, has 545 yards. It has reached the point that the Rams now can expect opponents to game-plan specifically for Stacy. “He reminds me of Stump Mitchell,” Colts defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. “Remember Stump Mitchell back in the day? Big legs. Arizona (and St. Louis). He reminds me of that type of back.”

IT CAME TO PASS

If you put the truth serum into the Indianapolis defensive coaches, they’d tell you the game plan is to stuff Zac Stacy and the Rams’ running game. In short, make QB Kellen Clemens beat them. That’s especially true because the secondary has been one of Indy’s strengths all season. But Texans QB Case Keenum torched them for 350 yards passing last week. Starting left corner Greg Toler (groin) is out, so look for the Rams to target his replacement, Cassius Vaughn, who has been known to give up big plays.

RICHARDSON ...

Colts RB Trent Richardson is listed as questionable with an ankle injury, but the former first-round pick by Cleveland undoubtedly will do everything possible to get on the field against the Rams’ run defense, which has been a get-well card for many a runner this season. Richardson is averaging only 3.0 yards per carry in his six games since being traded from the Browns to Indy, and hasn’t gained more than 60 yards in any game as a Colt. Will he have his Colts breakout game Sunday against the Rams?

... AND BROWN

While Richardson is a tough, between-the-tackles type, Donald Brown is more of the long-ball threat. Or as LB James Laurinaitis puts it: “They’re so different in their style. One will try to pound it inside; the other one will try to get your feet stopped and bounce it outside.” Brown gets only about six carries a game, but he’s averaging 6.3 yards per tote with runs of 50, 24, and 16 (twice). The Colts have done an excellent job of adjusting to the loss of Ahmad Bradshaw and Vick Ballard to season-ending injuries.

SACK MASTERS

The AFC’s leader in sacks, Indianapolis’ Robert Mathis (11½), and NFC leader Robert Quinn of the Rams (10) will be on the same field Sunday. Mathis’ sack total matches his career high just eight games into the season. Rams TE Mike McNeill, who went against Mathis every day in practice as a Colt in 2011, says: “Just when you think he’s gonna try to run by you, he’ll bull-rush you. He’s got a little bit of everything.” The same’s true for Quinn, who needs just one sack to establish a career high.

AT THE HILTON

With one of the game’s elite receivers, Reggie Wayne, out for the year because of a knee injury, QB Andrew Luck’s new best friend is T.Y. Hilton. To wit, Hilton caught seven passes for 121 yards and three TDs last week against Houston — the Colts’ first game without Wayne. Hilton is a mere 5-9, 178 pounds, but has eight 100-yard games in his 23-game NFL career. He’s a deep threat that the Rams must keep in front of them. The best move would be shadowing Hilton with Janoris Jenkins, with safety help over the top.

THE SERIES

In the 2012 preseason opener, rookie Andrew Luck’s first pass went for 63 yards and a TD against the Rams on a screen to Donald Brown. “That was my man,” James Laurinaitis said, sarcastically thanking a reporter for bringing up the topic. In regular-season play, this is only the fifth time the Rams have met the Colts since the move to St. Louis, with Indy winning three of the prior four. On the Rams’ last regular-season trip to Indianapolis, in 2005, the Colts still called the RCA Dome home.

jap

Legend
This would be great time for The Mighty Quinn and Chris to have monster games. We can also use a "Hey!, remember me?" game from Jenks, and have 'Tree continue to press for defensive rookie of the year honors. I always want Tavon to break out, if only to show how versatile and dangerous he really can be. Hopefully, the rest of our young receivers step it up if the Colts try to bury our mini-Mack truck.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lavonia Mitchel ,AH YES I remember the guy well,a "downhill runner" to be sure,but FWIW I have an axe to grind with him.
Stump set a then record for most punt returns without a fair catch and ONCE he HAD the record he called for a FC the very next time.
Sorry , but IMO chasing records that way only hurts your team now if he'd kept going and waited to start letting discretion be "the better part of valor" UNTIL he'd fumbled once or twice and the coaches said "hey dude .can ya be a little smarter?" fine but it WAS the very next after the record which again IMO is BS of the very first order.
I think also Stacy is a few pounds heavier (26 to be exact) and a little niftier as well. But the comparison is valid they both run/ran with little regard for their bodies.