Rams at Chiefs: Sounding Off on the St. Louis Loss (via InsideSTL & CBSSports920)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
Rams at Chiefs: Sounding Off on the St. Louis Loss

Rams at Chiefs: Sounding Off on the St. Louis Loss
By Shane Gray

Offensive Observations

ChiefsRams%20al%20102614%200766f.jpg
*On a summer-like afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium, it was fitting that the St. Louis Rams offensive unit started off hot against the Kansas City Chiefs by putting together an assertive, 65 yard opening drive that culminated with a touchdown pass from quarterback Austin Davis to tight end Lance Kendricks.

Unfortunately, that was about it for the offense, as they were shut out over the game’s final 57 minutes.

*While Davis played well early, he and the air attack struggled for much of the remainder of the action, managing just 160 total passing yards.

The passing game’s ineptitude certainly could not all be blamed on Davis, though, as he was under siege all day – sacked on seven occasions and hit a whopping 14 times.

It almost goes without saying that few quarterbacks thrive when under such dire circumstances.

*In addition, Davis’ day was exasperated by the in-game losses of four starters: wide receiver Brian Quick, left tackle Jake Long, offensive guard Rodger Saffold and center Scott Wells.

By the end of the game, the only starting lineman who remained in his original spot was right tackle Joseph Barksdale. After the departure of Saffold, left guard Greg Robinson shifted to right guard before finishing out at left tackle.

Thus, with all considered, the disappointing outing from Davis may have been less on Davis than it was on the circumstances surrounding him.

*That said, Davis must upgrade his decision making after struggling in that regard on numerous occasions.

On one play, the St. Louis QB eschewed a dump off to running back Tre Mason before choosing to throw downfield to a double-covered Kenny Britt. The pass resulted in an interception.

On another play, the Rams signal caller failed to get rid of the football before incurring a monster 15 yard sack that yielded a longer field goal try and an eventual miss by kicker Greg Zuerlein.

These, however, are fixable mistakes by the de-facto rookie. While correctable, these are miscues that must be minimized over the final eight games of the 2014 slate.

If these errors are reduced and he plays like he did in his first five starts -- five starts that resulted in the league’s No. 8 quarterback rating over that span -- then Davis has a legit chance at earning strong consideration by the Rams as a long term starting option at quarterback.

If not, he likely slides back into a backup role, or – at best – is given an opportunity to fight for a starting job on some club’s roster.

*St. Louis used four running backs in the first half, and had some success with a 4.2 yard per carry average. But with such an extremely diversified attack, it gave little chance for any of the Rams runners to get into a rhythm and grab the hot hand.

By the game’s final whistle, Mason had seven carries, Zac Stacy had five, Benny Cunningham had four and Tavon Austin had two.

While it certainly can be positive to mix it up and give different looks to opposing defenses, it can be a negative when your run game is so spread out that none of the backs have a chance to get rolling.

*By the week, it becomes more apparent that the best days of Jake Long’s career are in the rearview mirror. Considering that and the 29 year-old’s bloated contract, one would think that the Rams will strongly consider a premium pick (round one through three) on a prospective replacement in the 2015 NFL Draft unless they plan to slide 2014 No. 2 pick Greg Robinson over from left guard. Personally, I feel the Rams should leave Robinson inside as he seems an ideal fit there.

ChiefsRams%20al%20102614%202855f.jpg
Defensive Discussion

*With returning starting cornerback Trumaine Johnson still on the shelf, opposite starting corner Janoris Jenkins ruled out as a pre-game scratch and second year defensive back Brandon McGee off to the injured reserve list earlier in the week, I tweeted that one of the major keys to the game would be how well the Rams inexperienced corners – all rookies – would hold up vs the pass.

Unfortunately, a predictable result ensued, with Kansas City quarterback Alex Smith ripping holes through the St. Louis patchwork secondary – completing 86 percent of his throws on 24 of 28 passing.

(For much more on the defense and a full analysis of coaching and special teams plus other notes, please click below for the full read. Thanks as always for all the support, ROD):
http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLcom/STLSports/STLRams/tabid/137/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/15160/Rams-at-Chiefs-Sounding-Off-on-the-St-Louis-Loss.aspx

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks Shane. Hopefully the Rams coaching staff will read your article and rethink some things. The use of 4 RB's in the game, the inability to hold a lead, coupled with the lack of proper/any adjustments during the game comes to mind.

"Personally, I feel the Rams should leave Robinson inside as he seems an ideal fit there."

I'm guessing that the Rams coaching staff had planned from the beginning that he would eventually end up at LT. They usually don't use a first round pick on a guard.

MarkMyWords

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mark
Thanks Shane. I do think now is the time to see if Robinson can handle the pass protection part of being a left tackle. If he can't, by the end of the season, it's back to guard. I think he will do just fine but with rookie mistakes. The learning curve.... Hopefully he'll be our LT for many years...

fearsomefour

Legend
I would prefer Robinson is left inside at LG. It seems obvious to me he can be one of the best in the game at that position. I guess we will find out about LT the rest of the year. I am sure Robinson was drafted to be LT also. So at this point we have a LT, RG and RT assuming he is resigned. Amazing. It never ends with Rams trying to get a line to stick and gel.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks Shane. Hopefully the Rams coaching staff will read your article and rethink some things. The use of 4 RB's in the game, the inability to hold a lead, coupled with the lack of proper/any adjustments during the game comes to mind.

"Personally, I feel the Rams should leave Robinson inside as he seems an ideal fit there."

I'm guessing that the Rams coaching staff had planned from the beginning that he would eventually end up at LT. They usually don't use a first round pick on a guard.

Good point on Robinson and I agree with you there. As for them reading it, I do know several in the organization who do.

STL-Rams

Starter
Thanks Shane. I do think now is the time to see if Robinson can handle the pass protection part of being a left tackle. If he can't, by the end of the season, it's back to guard. I think he will do just fine but with rookie mistakes. The learning curve.... Hopefully he'll be our LT for many years...
Outstanding point. This team is 2-5 and seemingly going nowhere fast, so why not see if he truly is the best fit going forward at left tackle, or if they would be better off leaving him inside and using a premium pick on a left tackle.

STL-Rams

Starter
I would prefer Robinson is left inside at LG. It seems obvious to me he can be one of the best in the game at that position. I guess we will find out about LT the rest of the year. I am sure Robinson was drafted to be LT also. So at this point we have a LT, RG and RT assuming he is resigned. Amazing. It never ends with Rams trying to get a line to stick and gel.
We are in complete agreement. While we both feel his ideal spot is inside, he may not necessarily remain there. Ideally, however, it's where he should be imo.

fearsomefour

Legend
We are in complete agreement. While we both feel his ideal spot is inside, he may not necessarily remain there. Ideally, however, it's where he should be imo.
Me too. I see him as potentially a Larry Allen type, different body type, but, that kind of dominating run blocker at G.
However, if (it is a big IF) Jones can do well at C and assuming the Rams resign Barksdale, the O line situation is pretty settled into next year. Robinson/?/Jones/Saffold/Barksdale.
I will be paying a lot of attention to Jones the rest of the year and hoping for the best.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I expect the Rams to settle the RB by committee thing this week. But how did it get that way to begin with? (n)

Head

Scratcher