Rams at Chiefs: Complete Week 8 Primer (Via CBS Sports 920 & InsideSTL)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneG

Starter
St. Louis Rams at Kansas City Chiefs: Complete Week 8 Primer

By Shane Gray

In Week Eight, the St. Louis Rams will be on the road facing the Kansas City Chiefs in an all-Missouri NFL matchup that will decide in-state bragging rights and the future residence of the Governor’s Cup. St. Louis has been defeated by Kansas City in each of its last five regular season matchups vs their in-state rival.

The Rams, at 2-4, sit in the cellar of the NFL’s toughest division. The Chiefs, meanwhile, boast a 3-3 record, good for third in the AFC West.

Chiefs D Elite on Third Down

The Kansas City defense is nasty on third down, allowing just a 34 percent conversion rate – the third best mark in the league.

(I hope each of you enjoy the full preview via CBS Sports 920 and InsideSTL, including a look at Austin Davis, making the Chiefs throw, advantage: Arrowhead, Charles in Charge and much more):

http://www.insidestl.com/insideSTLc...ansas-City-Chiefs-Complete-Week-8-Primer.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't know the Chefs D was that good on 3rd down. That's going to be a good test for Davis.

Nice work Shane.

ShaneG

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't know the Chefs D was that good on 3rd down. That's going to be a good test for Davis.

Nice work Shane.

Thanks, Les. I honestly was caught a big by surprise by that stat as well in preparing the column.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Thanks, Les. I honestly was caught a big by surprise by that stat as well in preparing the column.

Considering they have faced some very good units it was very surprising, they have played a few top 10 offenses.

ShaneG

Starter
Thanks as always Shane for sharing your articles with us.

Favorite quote:

“I don’t want to be the next anybody, I just want to be the first Austin Davis,” the Rams QB said.

Most humorous quote because I know it will annoy at least one of our members:

“As y’all know, they have this personal thing with the 12th man in Seattle, so they try to compete,” Fisher said of KC’s fans.”

Most surprising quote:

In terms of NFL crowd noise, most analysts suggest the two loudest current venues in the league are Seattle’s Century Link Field and Kansas City’s Arrowhead Stadium.

The "I should have kept this to myself" quote:

Fisher said. “I’m not real fond of the Super Bowl trophy in the building.

You are very welcome my friend, and thanks for the quotes of the quotes and corresponding feedback. I enjoyed that.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I didn't realize that we only drew "1 Flag" for a penalty in the 49er game!... And then only 2 versus the 'Hags', we're on a Roll Folks!!:D

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Nice work Shane.

Third downs are usually passing downs and the Chiefs have a great pass rush. This should be the case with the Rams but Williams didn't take advantage of the great Rams pass rush until Seattle. Then what killed them was when Wilson took off running and the Rams LBers didnt contain.

The second half in Seattle should tell us something. Run on third downs. Draws, QB runs, etc. KC will be so focused on sacks that they won't be ready for it. Short quick routes to Receivers that can get YAC would be good too but so far we haven't seen much of that despite having one of the best college YAC receivers ever.

ShaneG

Starter
Third downs are usually passing downs and the Chiefs have a great pass rush. This should be the case with the Rams but Williams didn't take advantage of the great Rams pass rush until Seattle. Then what killed them was when Wilson took off running and the Rams LBers didnt contain.

The second half in Seattle should tell us something. Run on third downs. Draws, QB runs, etc. KC will be so focused on sacks that they won't be ready for it. Short quick routes to Receivers that can get YAC would be good too but so far we haven't seen much of that despite having one of the best college YAC receivers ever.

Some screen passes would be nice as well...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some screen passes would be nice as well...

I agree but Schotty rarely seems to use runningback screens. I don't understand why. He has Watts, Tavon, Mason, Cunningham, two athletic pulling guards, and Jake Long. In otherwords he has the personnel to run them but I never see them try it. In fact for as long as Schotty has been with the Rams I barely recall him ever running screens, other than the quick WR screens. Could you imagine if they get the blocks set up with Saffold and long along with Harkey on a screen to Tavon out of the backfield? I really don't care for Schotts brand of offense.

BTW: I left screens out because they don't run them.

ShaneG

Starter
I agree but Schotty rarely seems to use runningback screens. I don't understand why. He has Watts, Tavon, Mason, Cunningham, two athletic pulling guards, and Jake Long. In otherwords he has the personnel to run them but I never see them try it. In fact for as long as Schotty has been with the Rams I barely recall him ever running screens, other than the quick WR screens. Could you imagine if they get the blocks set up with Saffold and long along with Harkey on a screen to Tavon out of the backfield? I really don't care for Schotts brand of offense.

BTW: I left screens out because they don't run them.

You are absolutely right and it continues to be one of the most frustrating aspects of Schottenheimer's play calling. The vast majority of NFL offenses keep defenses honest and help offset pressure by using at least a couple well timed screens to running backs each game. But not in St. Louis, regardless of how much heat or how many sacks occur in a given week. I will never understand it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Did anyone else realize Jamaal Charles has been in the league 7yrs?

At 27, he's older than I thought and looked up how long he's been in the league. I guess being in the AFC I hardly paid attention.

ShaneG

Starter
Did anyone else realize Jamaal Charles has been in the league 7yrs?

At 27, he's older than I thought and looked up how long he's been in the league. I guess being in the AFC I hardly paid attention.

It's hard to believe it's been that long.... what a career he's had thus far.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's hard to believe it's been that long.... what a career he's had thus far.

His career average YPC: 5.5

5.5!

That spans more than 1,100 carries.

Wow!

EDIT: For perspective Faulk's career YPC was 4.3

ShaneG

Starter
His career average YPC: 5.5

5.5!

That spans more than 1,100 carries.

Wow!

EDIT: For perspective Faulk's career YPC was 4.3

Yes, his career rushing stats are mind-boggling on a per-carry basis. Let's hope the Rams hold him closer to his 2014 average today rather than that of his career average.